1st trip to san diego

twojo21

disney bride 32106
hi there,

im going to san diego for the 1st time first weekend in september for 4 days & would love some advise ie sites to see, things not miss, good restaurants, etc. i hear the san diego zoo is nice is it worth a day? im visiting my girlfriend who just had a baby, so a girls night out activity/idea would be nice too. also how is the weather there?

thanks!

We just got back from a trip that included 4 days in Anaheim and 4 days in San Diego. Disneyland was wonderful but we adored San Diego.

A great website to visit is localwally (Being a newbie, this site wont let me post the website yet.) Its a noncommercial site from someone who lives there and is pretty helpful.

We did Seaworld in the am of the first day - arrived early and saw just about everything we wanted to see by 3p.We went back to the hotel for a little quite time and then to the GasLamp district for dinner at Croces at 8pm.The GasLamp district is a neat place to go both in the day for shopping and at night for clubbing. Very busy though so parking can be a nightmare. Croces does have valet parking. Its owned by Jim Croce's wife who is also the executive chef and live jazz is performed every night.

Another thing to do is visit LaJolla.It just up the coast from San Diego. The Brockton Villa is a great place for breakfast with a view of the coast but expect a line.Very popular.They have a website too. LaJolla Cove is a small beach where harbor seals and their pups rest.You can find it by walking down the hill across from the Hard Rock Cafe.You can also walk along the seawall there but be careful- a wave washed over my head while I was taking pictures. Cold but not dangerous.There's also a lot of shops along Prospect Street to make a nice day of it.

A drive up the coastal highway 101 is a good way to spend several hours.We stopped in Solanas Beach and the Cedros Design District - diffenently recommend the Leaping Lotus for interesting things to buy.
In Encinatas turn left after the Temple of Self Actualization and park up the street. They have beautiful gardens open to the public from something like 10-5p. I do know they are closed on Monday.

In Leucadia (?sp) on the left Lou's has an amazing collection of used LPs and other music.Really interesting just to browse though I picked up a few things.

Oh and really really recommend Hash House A Go Go on fifth. Extensive menu with unholy serving sizes. Really really good for breakfast.Both my 18 year old and my 16 year old loved it as well as my husband (he had the wild boar hash special of the day)

Belmont Park in Mission Beach has roller coasters and other things to see.

Check out LocalWally though. I found it very helpful. Didnt care for the Fish Market restaurant but that was the only thing I would disagree about.

Have a wonderful time. :wave2:

(boy, for my first post,I was rather long winded, huh)

thank you so much for all the tips ill try searching that site too. also welcome to the dis!

Hope you will have a great vacation in San Diego! It IS "America's Finest City", after all. (Ok, so I might be a little biased since I live here. :-) )

I would definitely recommend a day at the San Diego Zoo! The pandas are worth seeing - if you go first thing in the morning down to where the pandas are you usually don't have to wait in line, and can stay as long as you want, rather than feeling you need to shuffle on through to let other people have a chance. I really enjoy "The Wild Ones" show in the Hunte Amphiteater - it's about a 20-minute show that features interesting critters (like wolves, binturongs, servals, cheetahs, hawks or hornbills) performing natural behaviors.

The Zoo is in Balboa Park...and you can spend days in Balboa Park itself if you visit all the museums! The Natural History Museum is very nice (there's a fee), and there's art museums, an aerospace museum, the Museum of Man...lots of places. You can also visit several gardens (those are free) like the Rose Garden (my favorite) or the Scultpture or Alcazar Garden. In Spanish Village there's a little art colony - there are painters, sculptors, potters, etc.

Old Town can be interesting, if you're interested in old California history, but it's also quite touristy. There's also the Mission San Diego de Alcala - the first mission established by the Spanish monks.

Seaport Village, which is downtown near the Convention Center, is a fun little shopping center to wander around, and also has some decent restaurants...and there's a Ben and Jerry's ice cream place there.

If you want to try some "local" fare, visit Rubio's and have some fish (or shrimp or lobster) tacos. Rubio's is a chain and they're all over the place now. Or Roberto's (lots of those, too) for more standard Mexican fare. Those are both take-out places. There's tons of good restaurants in the Gaslamp District downtown - just about anything down there is good. Old Town Mexican Cafe is good, too - try the carnitas plate. Most of the restaurants in Old Town are fine. If you like Thai food, there's a place called "Saffron" on India St (near Old Town) that's very good...it looks like a little hole in the wall, but the food is yummy, and not hot and reasonably priced. And there's an Italian gelato place next door. :-) The El Prado restaurant in Balboa Park is good, too.

For breakfast we like the Original Pancake House, which is in Linda Vista/Kearny Mesa. It's a little pricey, but the food is excellent - and they use *real* silverware, not stainless. They have a HUGE apple pancake, as well as potato pancakes, crepes, buckwheat pancakes, waffles, french toast, omelets, etc.

You might want to drive over to Coronado Island - there's a very nice beach there near the Hotel del Coronado, and it's interesting to see the Hotel del!

La Jolla Shores is a very nice beach. Someone else mentioned going to see the seals in the Children's Pool at La Jolla Cove.

If it's a clear day, the view at Cabrillo Monument on the end of Point Loma is gorgeous. At the Visitor Center you can learn about the founding of San Diego by Juan Cabrillo, and then walk to the old lighthouse. It's run by the National Park Service, so there's an entrance fee unless you have a National Park Pass or Golden Eagle.

If you want to do a little hiking, Torrey Pines State Park has some nice (and short) hiking trails, though most of them are a bit hilly. The hike down to the beach and back is very nice.

As for the weather - it's about as good as you can get! In September it's most likely to be in the high 70s and sunny along the coast during the day,
though it does get much warmer inland (80s or 90s), but most of the "touristy" things are close to the coast where it's cooler. If we get a weather condition called a "Santa Ana" (which is common in September) then it could get up into the 90s on the coast. The saving grace of the Santa Anas is that the humidity drops to 20% or so. It almost NEVER rains in San Diego in September.

I'm not a night person, so I really can't suggest any "Girl's Night Out" types of places...though the Gaslamp District downtown is quite a night spot.

Hope that helps!

Laura

The San Diego Zoo is a must & a day long thing. There are shows to see and tons of animals in habitats that are built to look and feel like their natural ones. Its a great zoo, one of the best.
Definitely spend some time in Downtown/Gaslamp area. Check out the marina/Sea Port Villiage. Cute shops and very fun.
Coronado Island is beautiful. I love going there! The Grand Floridian at Disneyworld is modeled after The Hotel Del Coronado! (located on Coronado Island) The marilyn monroe film "Some Like it Hot" was also filmed there. Legendary and elegant hotel. A must see, in my opinion.
Belmont Park is great. The roller coaster is mild & fun, they have excellent ice cream there, and touristy fun shops. I live in San Diego and I love those shops!
I would also recommend spending some time driving along the coast, through La Jolla, etc. Some of the views are spectacular. :cloud9:
Enjoy our perfect San Diego weather! Its the best. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter