1st trip to DL

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
We have never been and will probably go in March, during college break. We are members of DVC and I am weighing the option of using points for the room versus cash. I also understand that if you book thru AAA that you get some benefits, like additional Fastpasses, etc. So I am considering booking 2 nights thru AAA and doing the rest on points.

Anyone have suggestions, recommendations on this?

We have many, many, many trips to WDW under our belts, but I am floundering on planning this trip. Any comments are welcome.

The AAA unlimited fastpass would be really nice during busy spring break time but the room rates will be high. Since you know WDW and how to fastpass and get to the parks early, the same will hold true at Disneyland and you might not need that unlimited fastpass option. I am DVC too but we ended up paying cash for Paradise Pier last month because I got such a good deal on Expedia (129 a night for the first four nights) and then a pretty good deal directly through the hotel for the three other nights we added on ($170 a night or thereabouts). I didn't want to use points personally as we are taking my family next week and dh's family in January to SSR and those two trips are sucking up our points!

If you are used to DVC resorts you would probably be happier at either Grand Californian or the Disneyland Hotel. We had a great stay at Paradise Pier last month but of the three DLR hotels it always seems to come in last in the popularity contest and its the furthest walk (15 minutes walking up DTD). We have always loved the Disneyland Hotel but like Paradise Pier it was not built by Disney so it doesn't have that over the top, you are at Disney the minute you walk into the lobby kind of feel. Both PP and the DLH have some really nice Disney touches however in the rooms and common areas. And Disneyland still uses the Mickey wake up calls and not the annoying Stitch ones! The DLH has some beautiful grounds (PP has no grounds to speak of but is close to DLH) but not on the scale of say, POR. Both have really nice, oversized rooms that are decorated nicely. The pool at the DLH is really neat and my kids love it. We haven't stayed at the Grand Californian but it really looks like the Wilderness Lodge and is the closest to the parks. I have heard that the rooms are smaller and can be far from an elevator depending on your location. I think right now the DLH is running the best deal using points. If I compare it to a WDW resort it would probably be closest to the Contemporary with no monorail running through the lobby (highrise, large rooms, close to DL/MK). I love staying onsite at Disneyland and certainly prefer it, just know that it isn't quite the same as the WDW onsite experience. To me it is worth it but I have only been to WDW a total of three times and have thus far only stayed at POR, Pop and ASMO. After our first DVC stay next week I may feel differently about onsite Disneyland accomodations, who knows? Good luck with your planning!

Thank you so much for your reply. I am trying to hang on to my DVC points as we have been in the hole for so long and I am trying not to borrow any this year. That being said, I really want to go to DL during the celebration. That being said, DVC has spoiled me from not having to pay a hotel bill. So decisions, decisions. Since yesterday the airfare has seemed to jump, and I am wondering if it will come down any before next spring. So, lots of things to look at. Not quite as easy for me here on the East Coast where I can drive down to WDW if I wish.

Anyone else have experience with the AAA packages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter