1st Timers - November 2019. What NOT to miss?

writersblock

Mouseketeer
Hi all!
So OH and I are doing DW and US as first timers in November 2019. We have ten nights booked at AKL (8 to 18th) and then 4 nights at US (18 to 22) at RP. We have the free Dining Plan for the Disney leg.

I’ve got a Touring Plans sub and we are on our way to sorting out an itinerary for parks/rides/restaurants. A bit wide-eyes at the TP crowd calendar update but still expecting a fab time.

There are some things that I want to try and get in. Are there any I am missing, any I shouldn’t bother with, or any you think I may not be aware of?

So due to the dates we are staying I am hoping we get the tail-end of the Food and Wine festival. So near the beginning we plan to cram in some eats from RTWS.

Since we will then be into Xmas season we plan to do MVMCP. When are tickets usually released for this? We are in two minds whether it’s also worth doing a dessert party in a different park in a different night. Thoughts? Is it worth doing the whole Tony’s thing during the party night? From what I’m reading we will miss candlelight processional dates - is that correct? Any other Xmas things I need to keep an eye out for?

We are tempted by either one of the twilight safari packages or the Jiko dinner/safari package. Has anyone done either? What do you think?

We aim to try for Sunday brunch at CG. and then hop back later for the fireworks view.

Additional hours? Is that still a thing at that time of the year? I mean the ticketed events. We want to either get in to see TS at HS (and ride SDD a hundred times) in the AM with the breakfast package, or as part of an additional evening. Any advice?

Thanks all!

Hi all!
So OH and I are doing DW and US as first timers in November 2019. We have ten nights booked at AKL (8 to 18th) and then 4 nights at US (18 to 22) at RP. We have the free Dining Plan for the Disney leg.

Hi. How did you get Free Dining for Nov 8-18th?

I'm just guessing, but I think the OP might mean "free dining" as in they aren't paying cash for each meal, or just a dining plan. I could be very wrong on that though.

So, being brutally honest here, I think there are a lot of things that will be up in the air. What I mean by that is Star Wars Land will change everything.

I was never a big fan of the touring plans, but from what I have heard lately, again, something else to just toss out the door. I say it is the economy, although I may be wrong, but the parks have been getting increasingly crowded this past year.

We were in Disney Veterans Day Weekend 2018. Let’s just say it was the perfect storm of events. With Veterans day being a three day weekend to begin with, it would be busier. Then add in the end of Epcot Food and Wine, and the fact that this is the weekend that they are filming the Christmas Special, and you have a lot of people in the parks.

Please do not get me wrong, we have a great time no matter when we go. Just a warning, be prepared for the parks to be crowded.

Disney seems to be adding hard ticket events all the time now. The dates for the Disney After Hours parties were announced around Labor Day if memory serves me correct. However, the dates for Halloween and Christmas parties were announced again around Easter (late March?).

I have not done the Safari Packages myself, but others have told me they were amazing.

Disney also still does (or at least they were), some magic hours too. If memory serves me correct, they had MVMCP at MK and Disney After Hours at HS on the same night. I believe that same day they had extra magic hours at AK in the morning.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the desert parties. We did it once, it was ok. Others swear by them, so I would recommends trying one first and seeing if you like it before booking a second one.

Sadly, you are very early in the Christmas season, and I think you will see a lot in the parks, but not so much yet done at the hotels. But with your stay at US, you may have a few moments to pop back to Disney and see if anything else has been done. The life sized Gingerbread house at the Floridian is one example. Riding the monorail around to the hotels is not as easy as it used to be with you needing to go thru a security screening each time. But it also not the biggest issue in the world, especially if you do not have any bags with you.

As long as you are mentally in a state that it will be busy, you will have a great time.

As first timers, be aware that it takes a lot of stamina to go all day and half the night many days in a row. Make the most of each day, but be sensitive to scheduling too much for each day. Good luck with your planning and enjoy your trip.

As first timers, be aware that it takes a lot of stamina to go all day and half the night many days in a row. Make the most of each day, but be sensitive to scheduling too much for each day. Good luck with your planning and enjoy your trip.

We are diehard park goers from rope drop till closing, but we do the Xmas party on Friday night so that we sleep in Saturday and then relax by the pool. We actually go to MK from rope drop and stay there until the Xmas party ends.

I don't know what OP's schedule is but we only go to the parks on weekdays and relax on weekends, but we also go for over two weeks so we have 10 full days at at the parks and 3 weekends. Of course you can easily do all the parks with less than ten days! We just like to do it all, but a little more leisurely and enjoy sit down meals once a day, either a big breakfast, or a big dinner.

I do recommend that if you do AK twice only get FPs for FoP both days if available because you can rope drop Navi River ride.

Hi all!

I’ve got a Touring Plans sub and we are on our way to sorting out an itinerary for parks/rides/restaurants. A bit wide-eyes at the TP crowd calendar update but still expecting a fab time.

There are some things that I want to try and get in. Are there any I am missing, any I shouldn’t bother with, or any you think I may not be aware of?

So due to the dates we are staying I am hoping we get the tail-end of the Food and Wine festival. So near the beginning we plan to cram in some eats from RTWS.

Since we will then be into Xmas season we plan to do MVMCP. When are tickets usually released for this? We are in two minds whether it’s also worth doing a dessert party in a different park in a different night. Thoughts? Is it worth doing the whole Tony’s thing during the party night? From what I’m reading we will miss candlelight processional dates - is that correct? Any other Xmas things I need to keep an eye out for?

We are tempted by either one of the twilight safari packages or the Jiko dinner/safari package. Has anyone done either? What do you think?

We aim to try for Sunday brunch at CG. and then hop back later for the fireworks view.

Additional hours? Is that still a thing at that time of the year? I mean the ticketed events. We want to either get in to see TS at HS (and ride SDD a hundred times) in the AM with the breakfast package, or as part of an additional evening. Any advice?

Thanks all!

I hate to say it as I was so excited about going, but the MVMCP in my opinion is not worth it. We went the last week of November 2018 and the Christmas party was just as crowded as the park was during the day. You do not notice anything special worth the extra money. In saying that, people told me that and I went anyway just to do it/experience it myself and check it off the Disney To DO List. But now that it is done, it is a once and done for me. The Halloween party was a much better experience for us.

I hate to say it as I was so excited about going, but the MVMCP in my opinion is not worth it. We went the last week of November 2018 and the Christmas party was just as crowded as the park was during the day. You do not notice anything special worth the extra money. In saying that, people told me that and I went anyway just to do it/experience it myself and check it off the Disney To DO List. But now that it is done, it is a once and done for me. The Halloween party was a much better experience for us.

Maybe it depends when you go? Closer to Thanksgiving and closer to Xmas may make a difference?

Maybe it depends when you go? Closer to Thanksgiving and closer to Xmas may make a difference?

I'm not sure. It seems this issue has been reported though out the dates available. I planned it the week after Thanksgiving as from all the years I have been going to/reading about Disney World that was a slow week. That and the First week of December. So I was far from Christmas and the week after Thanksgiving so I would have thought it would have been a slower time.

Regarding a nighttime safari, sunset is around 5:30 in November. We've had evening safaris and couldn't see much of anything, I don't recommend it.

We just changed our dates and are going to be there the same week as you. SW:GE is making things a little tricky for trip planning, and once the dates on that are known, things ought to be a little easier to sort out. I personally plan on making two plans, one assuming GE is not open, and one assuming it is. If it is, I will add an extra day at HS and get to the EMH AM and PM to get a shot at experiencing it.

As a first timer your focus is probably going to be on getting on most/all of the rides, but you are going to be there long enough to be able to take it at a reasonable pace. I might plan on budgeting a little extra for some of the after hours events in order to make sure you get on those rides, and to experience the parks at night in a less crowded format.

Pick one dessert party if you really like dessert and want a nice view of the fireworks at that park. I think the Illuminations one is less of a priority since there are so many good viewing locations around EPCOT.

Like others have said, you can get very tired, very fast if you push too hard. Alternate late nights with early mornings and while the temptation is to go, go, go...factor in some resort time into your plan. AKL is really lovely.

I go in Nov all the time, and the weather should be in your favor there - cool but not cold, not a lot of rain.

US is nice and 4 days will ensure you can see everything.

The "not to be missed" list varies greatly from person to person. I would suggest doing your homework prior to arrival. Use youtube and read reviews to see what rides look appealing. My strongest suggestion - do no miss the memories and time you are spending with family. Minimize the time you spend with your cell phone, iPad, camera, GoPro, and whatever technology is out there that I'm too old to understand. Share the moments with your family, watch their reactions, laugh together, hold hands ..... be present. Enjoy!!

The "not to be missed" list varies greatly from person to person. I would suggest doing your homework prior to arrival. Use youtube and read reviews to see what rides look appealing. My strongest suggestion - do no miss the memories and time you are spending with family. Minimize the time you spend with your cell phone, iPad, camera, GoPro, and whatever technology is out there that I'm too old to understand. Share the moments with your family, watch their reactions, laugh together, hold hands ..... be present. Enjoy!!
Could not agree with this more. It’s very easy to get hung up on “must do attractions”. The “must do” is to take the time to be where you are. Pause to look around. The pavement is themed. The sounds you hear are deliberate. The smells in the air are crafted to be enjoyed. The grounds keepers can make magic appear with their mop buckets. There are craftspeople and artists and storytellers. There are dancers and musicians and actors just waiting for an attentive audience. There are even few quiet paths left to just meander down. If it stops being fun you are going too fast. You cannot do all the “must do”.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter