1st Timer needs help!

scazares

<font color=blue>Only Keats rivals the excellence
Hello to all you DIS vets. I am new here. We are leaving for DW in 5 days for the very first time ever! It will be me, dh, dd7, and dd3. Is there anything we really need to know about before we go. Please help I want so much for this to be the trip of a lifetime for my family. Am I expecting to much? Thanks so much! :wave:

Make plans based on what you have read (if you haven't got a good guide book get one) but be prepared to abandon the plans as necessary.

I'd say the best thing to know is just go & have fun! Yes, try & pick up a new copy of Birnbaum's Disney Guide too, they help a LOT!
handball.gif

Use these boards and other sources of information-such as guidebooks-to make a "must see" list. WDW is HUGE:eek: and there is so much to see and do. Our family plans on which park we will be in on which day and then we plan everything else(PS', fireworks, parades)around that. On our first visit last year, I made a list for each day of the things we wanted to see or do that day. My DH loved my little lists and even saved them to help plan future trips. Just keep coming here and asking lots of questions--everybody here loves to talk about Disney:Pinkbounc

So I guess you'll need to be on the DIS 24/7 until you leave!!! :teeth: This is the best place to find tips for your trip!!

I recommend figuring out what rides y'all want to see at each park but don't fret if you don't see them all!!

Check out the Kidcot stations in EPCOT.

FASTPAST!

Babyswap...ask at each ride...CM will tell you what to do.

Most of all go with the flow and have a blast!!!!

Thank you guys for all the help! I have been so busy trying to put this together. We just decided three weeks ago to go so it has been fast. I think I am about ready just tying up loose ends
Only 4 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: more days to go!
LOL this ^ looks like my 3 yr old

Hi Shawn.

Make a day by day plan to make best use of your time and tickets.

Build in rest or slow days to avoid burn out.

Don't be lured into the shops as you enter the parks. They all stay open way after the rides close, and they offer air con for the middle of the day when you need a rest.

Let the kids cool off in the water/play areas. Remember they appreciate different things to us adults. DD3 may love It's a Small World, and you may have to go on several times!

Buy the Unofficial Guide and rip out the pages for the park you're visiting (sounds dreadful but they bring out a new version each year) each day. Staple them into a little booklet.

Check out which rides are scary and don't make the kids do anything they don't want. Baby swap is easy. There are plenty of new friends to make (and scream with) also doing baby swap!

Take a cooler with frozen drinks for when you get back to the car. They'll still be cold.

Wear comfortable shoes - broken in trainers or outdoor sandals. If you've just bought new ones, try to break them in a bit before you go. Take sticking plasters!

Use a bum-bag (fanny pack - can't believe they are called that!) to keep your hands free.

Buy rain ponchos at Publix or the clothes shop in CityWalk, on the right as you approach USF's globe. You can get different colours - cheaper than in the parks and easier to recognise your family!

But most of all, remember there's no way you can see everything, go with the flow and take time to smell the roses. You'll just have to go back another time to see all the things you missed!

Now I'm excited and we've 5 months to wait! :Pinkbounc

Thanks for all the great tips Edie. I have one question though what are sticking plasters? I have never heard of this before.

Sticking plasters = Moleskin. Cover your blisters with it before they get bad.

Bring extra shoes, so when one pair gets wet, you can swap 'em out.

Hit the parks early. Forget about sleeping in on vacation. If you go about 10 or so, you will spend a lot of time waiting in line. Try to avoid the lines as much as possible. Hit Dumbo, Teacups, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh early in the day.

Get fastpasses whenever you can. Get a fast pass first, ride and then ride again with the fast pass. Or pick up your fast pass for one ride, ride another and go back to the fast pass ride.

Meet and greet characters at character meals. Don't wait in lines unless it's a character you can't see at a meal and the line is short. Teach your kiddos to wait for their turn when you meet characters. Look for the line.

Forget the cheapy ponchos. One of the cheapest park souveniers you can buy. Mickey ponchos can be used over and over again. Fold 'em up into a ziplock bag and carry it around. I have heard if they rip you can swap it out for another one. Haven't tried it though.

Do the parks in the rain unless it is lightning. The crowds get smaller when it rains.

Take a mid-day break for naps or a swim at your hotel. Your kids will thank you.

Make a plan of where you want to go each day. Then you won't waste the morning going "Where do you want to go today?" Schedule your day around the priority seatings you have and parades or shows you want to see.

Use the Extra Magic Hour (early entry) especially for MK.

If you are having a great time, check out the DVC booth and look into purchasing DVC. We did it on our first trip. We are going on trip number 12 in five years. Disney's version of a timeshare and no pressure to buy at all.

When you see the souvenier you really want, buy it then. You might not see it again.

Watch out for the thieving birds!!!! They will grab food right out of your hand or off your plate. Especially dangerous around Frontierland. NEVER FEED THE BIRDS!!!!! Besides, their way of expressing gratitude is to leave you a little bit of themselves on you.

Read the guidebooks before you get to the parks.

Make your PS before you leave home if possible.

Get the autograph book and a fat pen (easier for the characters who wear gloves to hold the pen). They aren't supposed to sign clothing like the T-shirt your kiddo is wearing.

Bring your own stroller. It's a lot cheaper in the long run.

HAVE A GREAT TIME! And don't yell at your kids for being kids - when the pressure gets to you, take a break - nap or swim. All of you could probably use it then.

Eat lots of Tollhouse cookie ice cream sandwiches. These contain all the important food groups - ice cream, chocolate, cookies and nuts.

Thanks Deb GREAT post! Lots to use. where do you find moleskin no one here knows what I am talking about.

I found some at either Target or Walgreen's. The only kind I could find was in big strips so you need to bring scissors(which we forgot)so you can cut it in whatever shape or size you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter