1st timer- 1 day...to go or not??

lemonears6

DIS Veteran
I am taking my son on a weekend trip. it will be quick and we are going to disney one day but trying to decide if we will add another disney day or a universal day. we have not been before and he is a big harry potter fan but wondering if 1 day is enough or not. also how hard is it to navigate the parks vs disney. we are huge disney fans and have been over 30 times on 11 years and i can navigate the parks with my eyes closed probably :D but universal is completly new

Universal is easy navigation, IOA is a giant circle.
Go and get the Express Pass, best way to get as much in one day as possible. If you stay at a deluxe hotel, Express Pass is free.

Our 1-day trip to UH almost soured us on Universal. As we were meeting relatives who live in LA and have been to UH many times, we ended up arriving late on a busy day and did not get EPs. Needless to say, we didn't get to go on many rides. When we were looking at an Orlando trip, we were not going to pick UO because of the UH experience. But because the kids had become such HP fans, we decided to give it a shot and fell in love on our 4 night trip. We've now been 5 times in the last 4 years, and haven't been back to DW in that time.

So if you do go for a day, arrive 30 minutes before rope drop (even if you have EPs). You can do a lot more in those first couple of hours, and plan for a long day to squeeze in as much as possible.

Given how much time you've spent at Disney, I'd suggest doing both days at Universal. As mentioned above, if you stay at a deluxe resort for one night, you get EPs (think unlimited Fastpasses at Disney) for both your arrival and departure days. And the cost of the second day at UO is much less than a day at DW. If you can get an APH rate at the resort, you might even save money upgrading on ticket to an Annual Pass.

With your son being a big HP fan, I would suggest just doing 2 days at Universal. Would be a much better way to see the parks, especially if you've already been to Disney that many times. Would also be much more cost effective.

Do you want to experience all of the attractions, or just focus on HP?

If you really just want to see and do all things HP then one day is plenty. And you can take the Hogwarts Express to and from the parks and pretty much never leave the world of HP. But if you want see and do more of Universal, then I would recommend 2 days at minimum. (And of course, spring for express if that's in your budget, or stay at one of the hotels that offer free express passes (like Royal Pacific) it's worth every penny!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter