1st time on the road - travel trailer ?

ktorrez

Earning My Ears
Hi again,

I have so many questions -

We are traveling from Texas and will be spending 1 night w/relatives in Louisiana. It's 12 hrs. to Orlando from there and we want to divide this into 2 days. How to you travel with your trailers. Do you stay over for 1 night in an RV park, campground, check in at a hotel, or on the road somewhere? I see RV's all the time at our Wal-Mart spending the night. Is the allowed? Are roadside parks ok to sleep over at? Can we just pull into the beach?

Thanks,
Karen

The only one question I can answer is about Walmart. Yes, they do allow people to camp overnight in their parking lots. You may want to go in first, and ask at the customer service counter. They probably have a certain area they'd like you to stay in the lot.

We usually just stay at a motel, with the trailer parked in the parking lot with the car. We're usually so tired after being on the road for so many hours, that it's much easier to just check into a motel. :)

Some people will overnight at a RV park, some at a truck stop and some at a Wal-Mart. The one time we traveled with a travel trailer it was so full we had to stop at a motel!! I would only stay at a rest area if it has 24 hour security. We always keep safety as our number 1 concern (well, duh!, everybody does!).

Many Wal-Marts will allow you to overnight--some cannot due to local regulations. If you have the Wal-Mart atlas you can even call ahead to ask. Otherwise just ask when you arrive. Can't help you with the beach info......

Have fun planning!

If you are going along I-10 there are a few State parks along the way that are nice and not bad for the price of one night camping. :cool: We are making the trip in Feb. from IL. going thru TN, AL and FL. and plan on staying at Falling water state park.

When we drive from Wi we stay in a hotel for the night.
Pulling are popup.
That way my Dw,Ds's can swim unwind. While I crash.
So you get the best rest you can for the drive the next day.

we have a truck camper and have stayed many times at wal-marts almost everywhere. we never ask we just do it. we have also stayed at a lot of rest areas. we have our own toilet so, as long as the lot is light good and there are a few others there we will stay..

if you head out west, into south dakota they actually have rest areas with dump stations and water to refill your rv..:)

If this is your first time on the road, you should stay in campgrounds/RV parks. Campgrounds and RV parks are safer than roadside or parking lot camping. If you have a problem with your rig, campground personnel will help. Also, you will meet people in the campground that will tell you where they have stayed along the road. One of the best forums to ask this kind of question is http://www.rv.net/forum/

Have a great vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter