1st time ever going to WDW taking ASD DS

I checked into one of the sitting alternatives at the cabin, but decided that it was just going to cost too much. For three kids it would be about 19.50 an hour - four hour minimum and $8.00 for travel expenses. Another thing, assuming that $$ is not a big option, is that one of these experienced people will accompany you into the parks and help out. That would be great for a person like me with three kids and one who needs special care. That cost was whatever the base cost was per child, plus the cost of a ticket into the park (at fla resident cost) plus a meal for the caregiver if they are with you more than 6 hours.

I wish money was no object!!

Jan

I have not been yet so my replies are somewhat limited!
I did want to say though I think it is great you will be taking your ds!
Someone a while back mentioned how great the strollers you rent are - and I really think that would be helpful for your family. I would even figure out how to attach a piece of febric so you can give your son a bit of enclosed space if he needs it. I think all our kids need a safe retreat from too much stimulation when needed.
As far as food - be sure you have a good supply of snacks with you to bring to restaurants, though I am sure you already planned this. My ds used to get so frustrated when we went somewhere and they did not have anything in his very limited repetoire. Also - take heart my ds used to be horribly picky - not just about what types of foods, but also the temperature of them. Hot foods had to be scalding - cold foods frozen. Drinks as well.At certain points he wanted everything cooked so it was almost burnt, then he switched over to just barely cooked - but still needed scalding. However he is now 11 and although his food choices are still limited, he is much more flexible than he used to be. Now he will eat less than scalding food if hungry, he will eat and drink things that may be less than extremely cold, and if really hungry or thirsty will even try something new occasionally. Just wanted to give you a quick hug and encouragement that it will get better. Someday more things will pass the sniff test! For now - I think you could justify the added expense of Key West or another home away from home resort with a full kitchen (which it sounds like you need) by knowing you will save alot of $$ by cooking instead of eating at restaurants.
The connecting rooms thing would be a worry to me if you have an escape artist.Though I guess you could purchase a door alarm.

As far as needing a room of his own, I have seen a really neat inflatable bed that has a built in dome type enclosure (Spiderman I think) that could be helpful if he needed his own space to sleep, unless noise is the factor that keeps him up. Have you ever tried a sound machine to see if that would help him fall/stay asleep? We have found it invaluable for our guy!!
Hope you have a wonderful trip !

Thank you all for your responses. My wife and I are still waiting on some things to clear up before we begin the trip planning in earnest. I appreciate all of your information and I will likely be asking many more questions in the months to come. Thanks again.
Paul

Paul,
I think someone else might have mentioned this, renting a stroller at WDW. We rented a double one for DD7 along with her brother (4) and it made the world of difference. When I could see that DD7 was on the edge of having difficulties (too much sensory input, too crowded etc), I would suggest that she go and sit in the stroller. In it she had a stuffed animal, hand held e-games,bubbles, books, a blanket, snacks, etc. It got to the point where she would remove herself from an overstimluating environment and put herself in the stroller. This is a kid who hasn't been in a stoller since she was 3 or 4. But I told her it would help her from getting too tired etc and she had no problems with it. We lasted MANY more hours at the park then we ever would have without it.

Now, the WDW rental strollers are not cheap (I think about $15 US/day) but for us it made a world of difference. They are very large, have a sun shade and I have read can accomodate very large kids. DD7 is the tallest in her grade 2 class and weighs about 70 lbs. and she fit fine in it (along with DS4 and all their stuff).

The next time we go back (when she is 9) I won't hesitate to rent one again.

Good luck with your plans.
Suzy V.

Absolutely, positively make sure you have identifying information on him and on you. Let your hotel manager and guest services at each park know you are there and that he is asd. The special passes are a life saver and will let all cast members and officials know you may, or may not, need added assistance or just a little space. This will include special seating for shows. My 4 year old ASD has had great success with essential oil for sleep. We have a diffuser that we instill with cedarwood and sandalwood oil. It evaporates into her room and induces sleep. We went from four hours of sleep a night to 10. Most ASD kids have an object or toy that they are very happy to focus in on and tune out everything else. Take whatever it is with you into the park and find a quiet corner every little while to unwind. You can contact Disney for maps of the parks to plan escapes in advance. Once you're in it can be hard to get clear out, especially if you are both stressed by a tantrum. Best of luck!!

Hi! I have three little ones and we are going on our FIRST Family trip next month! I too am wondering how the whole trip is going to go! My oldest son could easily be distracted by everything going on and wonder away!! My DD will most definatley have issues with LOUD noises and My son has Speech Delay and if he gets lost he wont be able to get help! I am so paranoid about my kids getting lost! Any advice on keeping up with kids! Not sure if DD will use a scratchy wrist harness/leash! I gues I just need to be extra carefull! I know that I need to watch them at all times! But I also know that losing a child happens! :grouphug:

I don't know if this would be of any help of not, but have you considered renting a WDW stroller for your children ages 8 and 6? We were in WDW 12/2004 with DD7 (ADHD, ASD/SID tendencies) and DD4 and rented a double stroller for our park days. DD7 is the tallest in her class and a little chubby and fit in it fine. This way if things got to much for her (sensory overload) she would just sit in the stroller and read, play with toys, play with her favourite stuffed animal, blow bubbles etc. Then when she calmed down or we were at at a quieter park of the park, at the next attraction etc. she would get out. Time and time again, DH and I agreed that WDW would have been very difficult without the stroller. I know she would have approached strangers (to make a new friend, she doesn't have much sense of fear), wandered away etc. Believe me the stroller MADE THE DIFFERENCE as far as the quality of vacacation we had.

I assume the 2 year old will be in a stroller. So one parent could push the 6 and 8 year old and the other the two year old. The WDW strollers are very aerodynamic in design and I had no problem pushing around a BIG 7 year old and a small 4 year old (combined weight about 110 lbs.)

We tried the wrist harness with both the kids in DTD, world of Disney. It was a few days before Christmas and CROWDED. It worked out fine. We don't give the kids choices when it comes to safety issues. Simply: "you wear this or we LEAVE". If it is too scratchy for your child, what about sewing some soft material on any part of the band that could touch her skin.

Good luck. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. I found getting to the parks EARLY helped as well. Fantasyland was so quiet first thing in the morning (a few days before Christmas), I asked a CM if it was open yet. :rotfl:

Suzy V.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter