1st Time DL visit...looking for Dining Suggestions

MICKEEP

DIS Veteran
Looking for any suggestions and opinions on either TS or CS Non-character dining at DL

In Disneyland my fave is French market. Although they had the slowest salad maker. She was backing up the whole line at 12 pm.

I also always eat at bengal bbq for a snack.

There are many good restaurants though. Plaza inn, jolly holiday.

The pasta at galactic grill was very dry in March.

In DCA I love boardwalk pizza & pasta.

We’ve eaten at blue bayou each of our last few trips and loved it. I’ve heard negative reports and not understood why they were upset. We took our toddlers last time. The kids meals are generous portions and they shared one. They couldn’t finish it. They are big eaters imo. But we won’t take them for awhile. They did good but I just didn’t get the enjoyment of my meal for the price since we were helping them. As in the past we will
Have family watch them if there’s a next time. We don’t plan to take them for at least a few years anyway. I’ll go alone next year.

Last edited:
I second French Market - I ate there three times in December (well, 6 if you count getting beignets at the Mint Julip Bar. ;)) I also really liked Café Orleans and Plaza Inn.

Oh gosh, honestly they are all so good! It just depends on what you are feeling like eating, lol. We don't do a lot of TS because our little girl has autism and it is hard for her to sit quietly without disrupting other people's meals. I always feel really awful and embarrassed when people give us looks like we are ruining their Disney dining experience :( Plus she can't feed herself because she has very limited motor skills so I always have to feed her and it is always a mess. We plan on just doing one sit down meal this go around (River Belle Terrace) for the Fantasmic dining package so we can get a good spot to see the show. Otherwise, we LOVE all the CS places. French Market is excellent, like others have said. BoardWalk Pizza is great for a family.

When we are feeling adventurous we try to get an early seating at the Carnation Cafe for breakfast. We go early so we are bothering less people. I LOVE Carnation Cafe. It is hands down my favourite place to eat in Disneyland purely for the ambiance. I love having a Mickey Waffle there early in the morning with a steaming hot coffee, watching all the people line up for rope drop. The umbrellas and the red carnations on the tables and the wrought iron railings are just so beautiful to me.

DL - TS

- Depending on your budget, Blue Bayou is always a treat
- Cafe Orleans

DL - CS

- Plaza Inn - really good for CS
- Jolly Holiday Bakery

DCA - TS

- We rarely do this anymore but folks are saying to give Wine Country Tratorria another try

DCA - CS

- Flo's V8 Diner
- Pacific Wharf Cafe

Outside the parks - changing because of new Disney hotel causing closure of some dining options

TS -

- SteakHouse 55 - our favorite higher end dining at DLR
- Tortilla Jo's great guacamole
- Napa Rose (also depends on budget

CS -

- Whitewater Snacks
- Earl of Sandwich (closing soon)

Always cafe orleans for me. We are also a fan of breakfast at the carnation cafe. bengal is always good for a quick snack if you want a break from all the carbs. its been a while but when i went i was not a fan of almost any of the CA restaurants (minus pacific wharf, because i am always here for sourdough).

TS$$$:
Napa Rose - Great for celebrating a special meal. Amazing food, great wine, excellent service.
Steakhouse 55 - Great old school high end steakhouse.

TS:
Blue Bayou - Good food and even better atmosphere. It's a little pricey, but you get to eat inside Pirates and become a small part of the attraction for a few minutes.
Cafe Orleans - My wife and I love to split a Monte Cristo and some pomme frites and enjoy some of the best people watching around on the patio.

CS:
Plaza Inn - Great fried chicken with all the fixings. Large portions and a good (for Disney) value.
Red Rose Tavern - Good burgers and flat breads with a cute theme. My wife loves the cauliflower sandwich. Even if you don't have a meal here, don't miss the grey stuff.
Jolly Holiday - Good soups, salads, sandwiches and pastries.
Bengal BBQ - The Jungle Skewers are one of our favorites for a heavy snack or a light meal on the go. The pork belly is my favorite.
Flo's V8 Cafe - Awesome theme and atmosphere with great views of Radiator Springs and the Cadillac Range. We especially like the breakfast
Earl of Sandwich - Closing soon, but great sandwiches at a good price and located right off the monorail station in DTD.

Bars:
Trader Sam's - Bar none my favorite eatery on property. Great apps and even better tropical drinks and incredible theming.
Carthay Circle Lounge - An elegant vintage lounge with great classic cocktails. I go for the proper Rye Manhattan served over a 2" perfect sphere of ice.

allears.net has the menus for the restaurants (TS and CS) in DL, DCA, the on site hotels, and DTD. Look them over to see what interests you. Most of the menus are recent and others are recent enough to give you a basic idea of what the restaurant offers.

Without knowing your preferences and tastes, here are some of our favorites:
TS:
Breakfast at S55, CC, La Brea Bakery
Lunch (burger!) at CCR -- a lovely break from the heat and bustle of the park, CO, BB, CC
Dinner at CCR, NR (lounge or dining room), S55, BB, CO, Jazz Kitchen (fun people watching from the balcony), Uva Bar
CS:
Plaza Inn, Jolly Holiday Bakery, Bengal BBQ (Safari Skewers!), RDZ, Red Rose Tavern, Little Red Wagon, French Market, Harbor Galley, FF&P, Paradise Garden Grill, Pacific Wharf -- Boudin Bakery, Ghirardelli's (does this count?)

"Breakfast at S55, CC, La Brea Bakery
Lunch (burger!) at CCR -- a lovely break from the heat and bustle of the park, CO, BB, CC
Dinner at CCR, NR (lounge or dining room), S55, BB, CO, Jazz Kitchen (fun people watching from the balcony), Uva Bar"

I'm sorry but I don't know how to quote properly. What are all these abbreviations??

Dinner at CCR, NR (lounge or dining room), S55, BB, CO, Jazz Kitchen (fun people watching from the balcony), Uva Bar"

I'm sorry but I don't know how to quote properly. What are all these abbreviations??

To quote, just click on Reply in the lower right corner of the post you want to quote.

S55 - Steakhouse 55

CC - Carnation Café

CCR - Carthay Circle Restaurant

NR - Napa Rose

BB - Blue Bayou

CO - Café Orleans

Check the link in my signature. :)

It is also in the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter