1st time booking DCL - help!

Duke07

Mouseketeer
I'm planning on booking a trip on the Wish for summer 2022 when it goes on sale to the general public this week. I'm an experienced Disney traveler, but first-timer with DCL and have a bunch of questions...any help would be appreciated.

1. The site doesn't list the various prices and options for Concierge (just a starting price is posted). What are the different room types and general difference in price for Concierge rooms...we're going with a 4 adults and 2 kids, could we all fit in one room/suite that doesn't require a mortgage?
2. If we opt for 2 Verandah rooms instead of Concierge, is it a drastic step down in terms of the experience?
3. Has anyone cruised in late August or September (Bahamian) and is it less enjoyable due to weather and hurricane season?
4. For the general public on-sale, is the expectation that it's going to sell out fast?

Thanks!

Last edited:
1&2: I've never sailed concierge (12 sailings minimum 7 days) so can't help you there. We spend so little time in room I can't believe it would be worth it for us. Also not big drinkers.
3.: We've sailed August/September a few times with no problem but I think you have to go into it knowing it's hurricane season. Could just mean a sea day /port day swap, could mean a port day missed or an unplanned port. If you have a flexible mind set, you'll make it fun.
4.: I'm surprised it's not already sold out.

Good luck!

Hello!

1. ) My understanding is concierge for a lot of the wish cruises is completely sold out. I may be incorrect but that is at least the understanding I have gotten from some of the higher level cataway club friends I have -- You really spend so little time in the room I'm not sure I'd find it worth it.
2.) The veranda rooms is where I prefer to stay. There are ones that sleep 4 and ones that sleep 5 (well there are on the other boats so I can only assume its the same for the Wish). Some of the rooms are adjoining and you can open the balcony to make it a big suite. Disney customer service is like no other cruise line so although you don't have the concierge its still a great time!
3.) I usually sail around Feb/Mar but I know a lot of people that sail during hurricane season. Most of the time its totally fine. Maybe have to reroute stops or not be able to dock but Disney does its best to avoid that while making sure everyone stays safe.
4.) Maiden voyage is sold out and my understanding concierge and such is too for the cruises that are currently available, possibly even verandas but I do not know that for sure. They'll add more cruise dates I'm sure and there are many other ships, I believe the Dream does a similar route if you're not 100% set on the Wish. The Wish is just insanely popular because its new and many regular cruisers like to try to cruise on all of the ships Disney has to offer.

The second post of This thread may give you an idea of pricing. Be aware DCL fares increase as more staterooms are booked so prices may change by the time you book.

The maiden voyage has sold out. I haven't heard any others did, though.

I'm planning on booking a trip on the Wish for summer 2022 when it goes on sale to the general public this week. I'm an experienced Disney traveler, but first-timer with DCL and have a bunch of questions...any help would be appreciated.

1. The site doesn't list the various prices and options for Concierge (just a starting price is posted). What are the different room types and general difference in price for Concierge rooms...we're going with a 4 adults and 2 kids, could we all fit in one room/suite that doesn't require a mortgage?
2. If we opt for 2 Verandah rooms instead of Concierge, is it a drastic step down in terms of the experience?
3. Has anyone cruised in late August or September (Bahamian) and is it less enjoyable due to weather and hurricane season?
4. For the general public on-sale, is the expectation that it's going to sell out fast?

Thanks!

2. Just out of curiosity... What kind of experience are you expecting? I say this as someone who has experienced Club Level in some of WDW resorts: being on a cruise --even with a regular inside cabin-- almost feels the same as being "concierge" on land (comfortable cabin, turndown service, included food, excellent service)...

...but I would definitely recommend an extended verandah. ;)

2. Just out of curiosity... What kind of experience are you expecting? I say this as someone who has experienced Club Level in some of WDW resorts: being on a cruise --even with a regular inside cabin-- almost feels the same as being "concierge" on land (comfortable cabin, turndown service, included food, excellent service)...

...but I would definitely recommend an extended verandah. ;)

From what I can gather, the rooms at the Concierge level seem generally nicer and more spacious. Also, the added benefits like the private pool, lounge, and some of the other perks make it seem potentially worthwhile. Then again...I've never been on a DCL so I'm just speculating?

As a family that often sail Concierge on DCL, I would suggest for you to try sailing in a regular cabin on a first cruise. As PP said, you will probably find the experience exceeds what you expect from a DCL cruise. 90% of the experience will be the same. The extra perks are, for most cruisers, not worth the extra cost. You’ll be better off booking two connecting rooms. You’ll end up with with more space than in a single suite, at a much lower cost.

As a family that often sail Concierge on DCL, I would suggest for you to try sailing in a regular cabin on a first cruise. As PP said, you will probably find the experience exceeds what you expect from a DCL cruise. 90% of the experience will be the same. The extra perks are, for most cruisers, not worth the extra cost. You’ll be better off booking two connecting rooms. You’ll end up with with more space than in a single suite, at a much lower cost.

Thanks. Are the connected rooms identified when you're booking? Does it show the option to book those rooms (with the larger verandah)?

From what I can gather, the rooms at the Concierge level seem generally nicer and more spacious. Also, the added benefits like the private pool, lounge, and some of the other perks make it seem potentially worthwhile. Then again...I've never been on a DCL so I'm just speculating?

Private pool? Is that something new on Disney Wish? (To my knowledge, DCL ships don't have private pools).

One of the most popular perks is the possibility of renting cabanas on Castaway Cay. They can be hard to get.

You can see the connecting rooms on the Wish deck plan.

The website does not indicate if the verandah wall opens or not. Not all connecting rooms on the current ships have verandah walls that open, because the structure of the ship extends out in certain spots, but most do. If you must have the a connecting verandah, you need to call DCL to book. They have a list of staterooms with verandah walls that open. Maybe they do not have the Wish list yet however.

Private pool? Is that something new on Disney Wish? (To my knowledge, DCL ships don't have private pools).
Yes, there will be a small pool on the Concierge deck on deck 13. It will be a first. We only had hot tubs on the other ships.

So, based on the replies here, it seems like it's going to be tough for those booking on the public on-sale date this week to get a desirable room (not just concierge) for the Wish. Am I interpreting this correctly?

So, based on the replies here, it seems like it's going to be tough for those booking on the public on-sale date this week to get a desirable room (not just concierge) for the Wish. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Yes I'd say it'll be pretty tough. Not that you WON'T get a room but my guess is that trying to find a room with connecting verandas will be pretty tough.

Since its your first time cruising with Disney are you 100% set on sailing with the Wish? DCL has so many amazing ships. If you're not really wanting to do with Wish right now you could always look into the other ships with a similar itinerary. They're also significantly cheaper and have better availability the Wish every day that goes buy the prices continue to rise even if you don't have access to book yet.

Yes I'd say it'll be pretty tough. Not that you WON'T get a room but my guess is that trying to find a room with connecting verandas will be pretty tough.

Since its your first time cruising with Disney are you 100% set on sailing with the Wish? DCL has so many amazing ships. If you're not really wanting to do with Wish right now you could always look into the other ships with a similar itinerary. They're also significantly cheaper and have better availability the Wish every day that goes buy the prices continue to rise even if you don't have access to book yet.

Thanks. We'd prefer to be on the Wish - it's just hard to pass on the newest ship - although I'm getting fairly discouraged after reading these replies that we'll be able to get a desirable room.

I think "desirable room" is subjective. I do believe rooms will still be available for the general public. Maybe or maybe not during a holiday or school fall break. But it really depends on your absolute required criteria for cruising. To me...concierge or verandah is not a requirement so an oceanview or even inside cabin is "desirable" for my family on any cruises we take. If you really need concierge or special extended balcony or other criteria, you may need to be patient and wait for the initial craziness to subside.

Agreed with above. Honestly ALL of the rooms are desirable. Each room has pros and cons. You mention you're an experienced Disney traveler so I'm sure you understand how when something new comes out it is CHAOS. Its hard even in the parks. Now cruises are even harder because all of the rooms are limited. Right now is also even harder because there are a lot of people that have been getting rescheduled for over a year due to COVID. Many people are like you as well and are 100% set on the Wish.

I'd sit down and really list out the things you require versus things you want. A lot can change between now and when general booking opens up. Gold just started today, silver will be after that and I'd bet that's one of the biggest levels.

I hope there is still rooms you're looking for. If you join some disney cruising groups some are posting as things sell out. Like I found a document someone made for all the sailings of the wish showing levels sold out before gold opened.

Good news is more sailing dates should be added for all soon. Usually May/June they drop more dates :)

We're now considering a different ship. Am I correct that the only other ship you can book on is the Dream as of now?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter