1st solo trip - a few questions

MickeyMonstersMom

DIS Veteran
My ex-husband is moving to FL, and I will be making some trips down there to drop the kids off for visitation - a perfect chance to explore WDW on my own! Since I'm a compulsive planner (why else would I be here?!), I'd love to hear from those who have done this before, particularly:

1. I'd love to spend a vacation just checking out the resorts, maybe not even entering the parks. Budget-wise, I can't justify paying to stay at the Mods or Deluxes right now, so that leaves me with the All-Stars or DTD (I don't want to drive, so no off-site for now). I loved ASMu, but it seems wiser to stay near DTD and then use it as the hub for hitting the resorts. Thoughts?

2. Assuming I stay at one of the DTD hotels, how safe is the walkway to DTD for a petite solo female?

3. Any other words of wisdom? All advice is greatly appreciated!

2) During the daytime it's pretty safe. When I worked in Disney last year I would explore and walk in the DTD area during the daytime by myself. Usually there were other adults out walking and I never felt unsafe. It was actually really nice.

3) Suggestion for exploring the resorts, do it in clumps. Do all the MK resorts at one time. Do all the epcot/mgm resorts together. You can also do the All Star Resorts in one lump. The other resorts can be done using one central hub. I plan on doing some resort hoping on my December trip this year myself.

Also another tip is if you will be dropping them off alot you might consider investing in an Annual Pass. That way you can explore the parks at will when you are down that way.

I agree with DisneyCP2002, you might want to seriously consider investing in an annual pass if you are going to make more than one trip a year down to Florida.

The transportation from the DTD hotels is not Disney transportation. It is privately contracted and the buses leave once an hour instead of every 20 minutes. So, every hour there is one bus going <i>to</i> the parks and one bus <i>leaving</i> the parks. These buses do not deliver you right at the MK, either. You go to the TTC and take the ferry or monorail to the MK. This is something to consider when choosing your hotel.

Personally, I would stay at one of the All Stars to have the convenience of Disney transportation unless I found a really low rate at one of the DTD hotels.

I've never used the walkway to DTD so I really can't offer any advice about that question.

It's great to see you here on the <b>adults and solo travelers</b> board. I sure hope you can visit often.

Katholyn

Oh, believe me, I am quite tempted to get an AP, and may do so if it looks like I will spend enough days there to justify it. Then I could also talk myself into staying on-site all the time. I'd much rather do so, but my inner accountant makes me feel guilty for favoring convenience over thrift. If CbM offers more of those $20 rates I'd have to be nuts to pass them up!

I appreciate the feedback RE: walking to DTD. I figured it should be reasonably safe during the day (and doubt I'd walk there after dark anyway). Still, it's nice to be sure.

Thanks for the welcome! I never thought I'd have reason to poke my nose into this forum, and it's nice to find the same kind of fantastic people here as elsewhere on the DIS. I'm sure I'll be popping in regularly! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter