1st DCL cruise on the Disney Fantasy! 9.5.15 - TR Completed/Video Posted!

DisneyDiva84

Fantasy is real and reality is fantastic!
Hi everyone!

We are back and all I can say is WHY THE HECK HAVE I NOT GONE ON DISNEY SOONER!! :confused3

A bit of background.

Husband and I met while working on the WDW College Program in 2005. We were married at Epcot on 10.10.10. You may be asking yourself, why on earth would Disney fans like us not have sailed with Disney previously?? The answer was simple, the cost. We couldn't justify going on a cruise that was double or triple the price of others. Especially when it was just the two of us.

Historical cruise tally,

Carnival
Sensation - 2006
Liberty - 2006
Triumph - 2007
Valor - 2010 (honeymoon) and 2012
Fantasy - 2013 - our son's first cruise (9 months)
Dream - 2014 - our son's second cruise (18 months)

Royal Caribbean
Grandeur - 2005
Mariner - 2007
Monarch - 2010

Norwegian
Sky - 2002
Spirit - 20011

The plan was that we would take our kids on a Disney Cruise when they could remember it. I tell people all time who say the same for WDW trips that they are silly and would love seeing toddlers interact with Cast Members, who knows why I wouldn't take my own advice here. Clearly I was on some crazy pills or something :rotfl2: Our last cruise was on the Carnival Dream. Our son was 18 months at the time and it was so obvious that he was bored. They had some kid activities but my husband I knew that Disney was going to have to be sooner than expected. In terms of cruising we knew what to expect. What we did not expect was how blown away this cruise would leave us.

If you are even remotely debating going on a Disney Cruise like we were sit back and prepare to be sold :) If you have already been, I hope you enjoy this thread as much as I enjoyed other trip reports before leaving!

The guests:

Alex - Husband and thankfully a huge Disney fan like myself!
IMG_1582.jpg

Avery - 21/2 year old toddler
IMG_1610.jpg

Me (Ashley) - 15 weeks pregnant and very excited to now be a DCL Castaway Club member!
IMG_1586.jpg

Day 1: Embarkation part 1
After counting the cruise down for over 200 days, I could not believe our moment had arrived!

We drove to Daytona the night before and stayed at the Residence Inn right near the Speedway. I'm not a huge NASCAR fan but if you are, then that hotel can't be beat. It was nice and literally in walking distance to the track. We woke up around 7 and left after breakfast around 9am.

After an hour of driving we had arrived! I love that you can see my smile in this photo. It was HUGE. I could not stop telling Avery we were getting on the Disney Boat!
Freak%20out%201.jpg

Our port arrival time was 10:45 and we arrived around 10:30. The porters took our luggage and even added one more tag since we added a bag at the last minute. We parked on level three of the parking garage which was fantastic since we could walk right to the bridge. And by walking, I mean running of course :)

There was a line across this bridge while we were dropping off our bags below, I think they must have just opened the terminal because it was completely gone when we got there ten minutes later.

IMG_1493.jpg

Walking into the Disney terminal was amazing. It was so great to finally be there! Our check in took five minutes. We got ERAERRA for a rotation. At first I was kind of bummed to have Royal Court two nights in a row BUT that quickly faded when I remembered the last night at Animators Palate meant that we got to eat there for breakfast on the last day. Plus this was our first time, so we were just excited in general. I know people request certain rotations but we didn't really mind either way.
IMG_1505.jpg

After we checked in, we settled in line for Mickey. It was a good place to wait away from a lot of the crowds and suitcases. Poor Avery kept trying to run over to the Mickey ears and go under the ropes. It was as if he knew that we were mere steps away from boarding. He was not happy being pulled away from them.

Mickey finally came out at 11:30 (yes, we waited for 45 minutes) They still had not began the boarding process so I guess it didn't matter. A few past DCL cruisers seemed upset saying it was a longer than normal wait but again, first timers so we didn't mind.
IMG_1510.jpg

Our son usually takes about a day or so in the parks to warm up to characters, once he does though it's all we do. The characters were so amazing on this trip and that's putting it lightly. More on that throughout the trip report.

My one and only constructive comment about this trip was this Mickey line by the way. The line was fairly separated from where Mickey greeted people. When he arrived, folks gathered around like crazy not understanding that there was a line which had been waiting for 30 minutes or more. The Character Greeter was there alone so I think it was a bit tricky. A lot of guests were pretty upset at those trying to cut in line making for a bit more stress than needed. We were one of the first families to see him but I definitely think they might want a better way to communicate it in the future.

Almost immediately after meeting Mickey they called Boarding Group 6 (our group) I couldn't believe it was time! We by-passed the boarding picture and went straight for the ship. When they announced our name, I definitely got a bit teary eyed. :sad:I just couldn't believe we were actually there.

As soon as we boarded it was up to the Port Adventures Desk on Deck 5 to get Character tickets. All three were for the second day at onboard which made me a bit nervous (again our son takes a day or so to adjust) it all went fine though :)

7:45 AM - Disney Junior Character Breakfast :smickey:
12:45 PM - Anna and Elsa
1:15 PM - Princess Gathering princess:

Then it was off to lunch. I debated going to Enchanted Garden but was worried our son wouldn't sit for dinner if we did. So up to Cabanas we went. It was actually really not too crowded.
IMG_2068.jpg

After lunch we went to Royal Court to ensure we had a table to ourselves, which we did.

Next up Kids Club exploration. At first I had said we weren't going to do this on the first day, I didn't want Avery to get too hooked since he was too young to go. But it worked out nice!
IMG_1592.jpg

My first thought about the Kids Club - WOW, it's huge! We didn't even notice the Lab portion at first. We also loved that the ceilings and portholes were lower on the 5th deck. Talk about really catering to families! As a kid, i would have begged to not leave had you brought me here! We were so jealous of all the activities we saw in the Navigator each day. It's really amazing!

That's it for now, but next up.... Room and dinner at Enchanted Garden

i am loving your report so far. we avoid the embarkation picture too. We are just too excited to get on the ship. :dogdance:

i am loving your report so far. we avoid the embarkation picture too. We are just too excited to get on the ship. :dogdance:

Thanks so much! I totally agree on the embarkation picture, they never come out great anyway for us. We are always a mess from the drive in :)

Day 1: Embarkation part 2
So after all the fun in the Kids Club it was off to see our home for the next week!

We were in stateroom 7567. Quick review;

IMG_3611_1.jpg

LOVED:
Magical Porthole - our son would shout out "look mommy! look daddy!" each time the pixie dust alerted us a character would stop by. It was great!
Location - the room is in a smaller hallway from the main one which kept noise to a minimum. it's also right next to the mid ship elevators - great spot
Service - our attendant kept the room spotless though i did have to ask her to restock the H2O products so i could take them home with me :rolleyes1
Bathroom - so spacious compared to other lines!
Muster Station - we got the Buena Vista Theater! Didn't have to go outside during the drill!
Details - everything was in great condition
Bed - loved putting our suitcases underneath our bed with room to spare!
Disney Movies on Demand - Avery loved this!

Cons:
don't even know why I have this, there really weren't any

Our suitcases were at the room within 10 minutes of us arriving (around 1:40) I'm big on getting everything unpacked so we did that while giving Avery a break to watch Disney movies. I took a couple of fun shots around the room and decorated our door. We didn't go too all out but Avery loved finding the characters from Finding Nemo everyday. In fact on the last day when I removed them he asked us where they were!

eb349cbf-479c-4a54-938b-d0bbd96e77f4.jpg

IMG_1597_1.jpg

Our beautiful home away from home! (pre-toddler invasion) The Carnival Valor was in port for embarkation the same day we were and that's what you are seeing in the portal

IMG_1594.jpg

After that it was off to hang out around the ship before the muster drill. Every year, Avery has fallen asleep right before it and we've had to wake him which was not fun! So it was our goal this time to just keep him going. Our Muster Station was in the Buena Vista Theater which was great. Avery never seems to handle these well, I think next year I'm bringing the iPad with us!

Then it was time for the Sail Away Party! Avery being the toddler that he is could only make it through half the show but we did hear the horns sound as we watched the ship pull away. I really loved how everyone seemed so happy. Everyone seemed to be in the same boat we were, on a vacation they had been counting down to for a very long time. I loved it!

IMG_1610.jpg

After the Sail Away Party we started heading down to dinner! Enchanted Garden was up first (we had table 57). The only place table 57 was a slight issue was at EG. It was in a great spot but there was a pole right by my husband's chair. I don't think he really minded though. If you love food pictures, I apologize in advance. I really didn't take many because I was too busy eating :)

You can see the pole to the right on this shot

IMG_2659.jpg

Our meal -

Alex
  • Tuna Tartar - good
  • Romaine Wedge - loved
  • Lobster Ravioli - loved
  • Scallops - liked a lot more than he thought he would
  • Mickey Bar for dessert - obviously we liked it!
Me
  • Tomato Soup - seriously one of the best I've tasted, i really wish I had ordered two! Room service had it on the menu but it wasn't quite the same!
  • Spinach and Raspberry Salad - okay, not enough raspberries
  • Pork Tenderloin - I'm not sure I was in the mood for it so I just gave this an okay
  • Mickey Bar for dessert - obviously we liked it!
Avery
  • Salad - I actually ordered this just to see if he would like it, turns out he LOVED it and we ordered it each night (they had it waiting for us by day 3)
  • Pasta - liked it a lot but it was messy :)
  • Chocolate ice cream
A note for the toddler meals, it was awesome! They always had his chocolate milk and water waiting for him upon arrival and took his order right away so he didn't have to wait!

Overall Enchanted Garden was my second favorite of the three. I loved the scenery and ambient music but what can I say, I'm a huge Disney fan so Animators Palate had an advantage out of the gate :)

IMG_1626.jpg

After Dinner we went to explore the adult areas of the ship before they started to fill up. The tube was having a family dance party and it was such a blast! At first we were the only ones there but then other families joined. Avery loved it and so did we! They had this nightly on the cruise but this was the only night we managed to get to it, so much to do!

Meeting a little dancer!

IMG_1642.jpg

This was one of the rare occasions Avery happily left a dance party. it was time to meet Ariel! He loves Ariel and can sing every song so we were so happy to know she was one of the princesses on this ship! To say Ariel was amazing is an understatement. We will be seeing a lot of her on this trip report. Avery was so excited when he was next but the second she greeted him he would be starstruck. It was adorable. If she let go of his hand he would grab it and wouldn't really say much beyond ARIEL! This changed as we met her more but it was so cute to see considering every other character he saw he would openly say I MEET ARIEL :lovestruc

IMG_1654.jpg

I guess I should end this with a recap on characters.

The lines were usually minimal if you could get there 10 minutes early before their noted arrival after that the line would really grow
We heard about characters roaming hallways and ran into a few throughout our trip - that was really fun and unexpected
The camera folks were AMAZING about taking your own shots. As long as you let them get a few they happily allowed others to take some of you which was so great!

The following characters were on our ship;
  • Ariel
  • Cinderella
  • Tiana
  • Belle
  • Daisy and Donald
  • Mickey and Minnie
  • Pluto
  • Goofy
  • Woody
  • Jessie (didn't meet)
  • Jack and Sally
  • Stich
  • Dopey
  • Tinker Bell(didnt meet - line was too long)
  • Peter Pan
  • Captain Hook and Mr. Smee
  • Sofia, Jake, and Doc McStuffins

There are so many photos with the characters coming up, we never pushed Avery after meeting everyone for the first time. Each day I went through who was appearing and asked him if that was what he wanted to do, it was always a yes :earsboy: I'm a huge character fan so I certainly didn't mind. We didn't do autographs this time since he doesn't really get that just yet, he just loves giving hugs! We also tried to teach him a word to say to the characters each time. Hook and Smee got tick tock, Donald and Daisy got quack quack. It really made for a cute interaction.

After meeting Ariel it was time to call it a night. I went to bed with Avery and Alex went up to the gym. He also saw the Nightmare Before Christmas Sing and Scream! They ran this twice during our cruise so we were able to swap so both of us could see it. I would confirm on your cruise to be sure with guest services. Definitely don't want to miss it if you are a fan of the movie!

IMG_3131.jpg

Next up: Day 2 at Sea!

Following!! I"m getting even more excited as I will be on the Fantasy in just slightly less than a year now :-) So excited about the awesome kids club as I think my dd will love it!

Thank you for all of the detailed information. We have the same PAT as you and the same plan once we get on the ship. This is so incredibly helpful in our planning. Thanks again.

I'm so glad. I got so much from reading trip reports before leaving so i'm glad i can return the favor!

Following!! I"m getting even more excited as I will be on the Fantasy in just slightly less than a year now :-) So excited about the awesome kids club as I think my dd will love it!

You are like me, I am already counting down to our second cruise! My husband teased me a lot over the past year, though in his defense I did remind him of the number of days to go each night at dinner :rolleyes1 You are going to love it! The Kids Club was so amazing, we are so excited for Avery to be old enough to fully experience it next year. Always seemed like they were having an amazing time when we walked by.

Day 2: At Sea
It was an early start for Day 2 - thankfully we didn't have the time change until Day 3 or else we would have been in trouble! :worship:

First up: Disney Junior Character Breakfast at Animator's Palate

I am so glad that they are now offering this on every cruise (on the Fantasy that i know of) 1. It's a great time 2. It's included in the price, I would have paid extra for it no joke. I love these in the parks and they are so expensive now!

Shot of the menu outside the restaurant

IMG_1693_1.jpg

Animator's Palate was by far my favorite restaurant. It was gorgeous and so well themed. It was also the easiest for a toddler to sit in. So many distractions! Our reservation was for 7:45 AM and they sat us right on time at a great 4 top near a screen. The characters came out just like they do at the parks, rotating by section of the restaurant so you can see them quickly. We were one of the last tables in our section but that actually made it more fun since Avery could see them coming!

The servers were fantastic and so speedy! We had our food long before the characters arrived. Alex got the Mickey Waffles and I simply had to get a picture. They came with chocolate sauce too! Avery had scrambled eggs with a hash brown. I think I had Doc's Breakfast which included Scrambled Eggs, Ham, Sausage, and a Hash Brown. Everything was amazing but the Scrambled Eggs were PHENOMENAL! :thumbsup2 And they were the same at Cabanas so we had them every day.

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

Avery had started not using his booster the day before the cruise. We were a little worried but he did great in the big boy chair, I think he actually liked it!

On to the characters! Sofia was first! We didn't get a great picture of her as we learned quickly that having Avery greeting them by himself on his second day would be a little much. It worked better if we could go to them. I think sitting down confused him.

So Doc was next! I love that he's basically just checking her out, we had never met her before this!

IMG_1723.jpg

Jake came around after that and was followed by the one and only Mickey Mouse. This was the only time we saw him in his tux

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

After a great breakfast it was time for Nemo's Reef. This was our first day so I didn't take pictures (they will be in Day 3 or 4). We tried to go every day around 9:30/10. It seemed to get more crowded as the day went on. I was a bit concerned about bigger kids coming through as I had read that on other trip reports but I will say the lifeguards were awesome. 9 times out of 10 they were asking bigger kids to leave long before it could really bother us. I agree though that they shouldn't be in there. Kids far younger than Avery were barely walking and it was very slippery. Avery did fall pretty hard running to the stairs on the slide and got a nice rug burn scrape on his chin. he didn't seem to mind though. We loved this area, it was so nice to not have to worry about the sun beating down on us and the water was usually a great temperature (not too cold) Can't recommend it enough!

After lunch at Cabanas (where my husband discovered the Jumbo shrimp!) it was off to meet Anna and Elsa.

The meet and greet was in Animator's Palate. The whole restaurant had been decked out in blue tones and showed pictures of Arandelle. Our reservation was at 12:45 and I'd say we waited maybe 10 minutes. The lighting does make it difficult to get a good picture but it was still great to see them!

IMG_1802.jpg

And now it was time for the Princess Gathering!

Reservation was right at 1:15 and that's when they saw us so Avery had to watch Ariel for a bit before he could wait to meet her. I loved that they princesses could spend extra time with the little ones. It was a really cool thing to watch. I know this filled up right away as some guests were very unhappy to have missed it BUT all princesses did come out throughout the cruise on several occasions so if you miss this you can see them then.

Princess Tiana
Avery greeted her by saying Rib-bit Rib-bit! Tiana replied saying I guess i'll take you liking me better as a frog as a compliment :)

IMG_1827.jpg

Cinderella!

IMG_1853.jpg

And of course Ariel! Avery kept screaming her name in line so all the princesses asked him about meeting her. It was so cute! :lovestruc But of course, the second she greeted him he went silent which she thought was hysterical!

IMG_1862.jpg

And finally Belle - this was the only time we saw her on our cruise since she came out after Avery's bedtime on the second day. I also heard she was out in her peasant dress one day and I'm so bummed as I would have loved to have been there for that. Oh well that's what makes those surprise interactions so great, not a ton of people know about them!

IMG_1883.jpg

We jumped up to see Goofy because Avery saw him on the balcony. The line was a bit long but it was worth it! He was so great with Avery throughout the cruise and us too! It's rare that I catch a funny moment with Alex and a character so i'm glad i caught this!

IMG_1930.jpg
IMG_1932.jpg

Next up: Back to the room to rest and formal night!

Day 2: At Sea - Rest and Formal Night
So after all that character interaction it was back to the room for a rest. Avery didn't nap this whole cruise! We were a bit shocked but then again, he wasn't out in the sun at Nemo's Reef so I think that helped a lot. He also is in a no nap zone at the moment so we weren't expecting one. Each day we tried to come back to our stateroom around 1 to give him a rest. We would play any movie he wanted and just lay down and relax. It was nice after so much excitement to talk about the morning and get excited about what was to come that night.

IMG_1774.jpg

I guess here is as good of a place as any to talk about the Navigator App. IT WAS AWESOME. First, there was only one instance where it backfired, the character meet up read one way in the printed navigator and another in the phone but we found out early and so our day wasn't as bad as others. Overall though it was awesome. Here's what I used it for;

• Dinning Menus - loved that you could see these for the entirety of the cruise. I also was able to pre-plan what Avery would have
  • Favorites - You can mark any activity as a favorite. It was like i was creating my own personal navigator each day!
  • Character Times - Showed all the schedules
  • Future planning - I loved that I could see everything for the entirety of the cruise. Obviously things could change so you had to check but it was awesome if you missed something and you could see it was showing or happening later in the cruise!

After resting we got ready and headed out to meet Donald. Great thing about going to meet characters before the first dinner seating? There are hardly any lines! We ended up meeting a ton of characters in this spot just because their lines were super short! Minnie was totally unexpected. Donald was next and then Pluto came out right after. They loved seeing Avery in his fake tux! This was our first meet up at Preludes (the area just outside the Walt Disney Theater) It was a good location, I actually really liked it. The lighting was perfect! But sometimes the lines would wrap quite far back so that could cause some congestion. We never got in those though as a long line to the stairs equaled a long wait with minimal distractions for the toddlers!

Again, the characters were awesome with our son! They started to remember him at this point and have a lot more fun! There's more time to interact with each of them, not a ton more mind you, but still a bit more personal time than normal. You don't feel as rushed to get through the line!

IMG_1951.jpg
IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

Dinner in Royal Court was next.

I really liked this restaurant too, the attention to detail was amazing. But compared to Enchanted Garden and Animator's Palate I'm not sure it's my top. Still AMAZING though. On the last night we had dinner there I looked up to find Glass Slippers in the ceiling tiles. I mean really, ceiling tiles.... the attention to detail never ceased to amaze me!

IMG_2005.jpg

Menu reviews:

Alex
  • Leek soup - should have gotten this over my french onion, it was really close to the one they serve at Be Our Guest
  • Lobster and Shrimp appetizer - just okay
  • Duck - He liked this a lot
  • Cookies N Cream Sundae - HUGE NOTE on our server. This was our first day viewing menus on the Navigator App and I had misread the sundae was available (it was actually at Animator's Palate) our server went and got it anyway! Alex loved it and was so impressed!
Me
  • French Onion soup - just okay, I really wished I had gotten the leek soup
  • Escargots - standard but i love them anyway!
  • Farmhouse Salad - loved this one
  • Lamb - really good!
  • Grand Mariner Souffle - Everyone raves about it, I loved the hint of orange but I think I'll opt for the sundae next time!

Avery
  • Mini Burger with Salad - he loved the mini burger and this was the first time they did the mickey ears with ketchup which he loved!
  • Ice cream

We went back to the room to get a quick break and found it was already turned down. Our steward told us she tried to put any room with young kids first cause she knew they would go down for the night faster. Again, we were blown away at how Disney caters to families.

Then it was off to say hi to Daisy and Goofy! Daisy really got to know Avery during this trip and she loved meeting him!

IMG_2021.jpg

After that we tried to see Aladdin. We weren't sure how the shows would go so we set our expectations to just the three main stage shows for this trip and agreed we would swap if needed. They do show the shows in the room BUT they are original cast. Avery only made it through the first ten minutes of Aladdin so I took him back to the room as this was the show my husband really wanted to see. He came in raving about the Genie but I wasn't impressed. Turns out we had seen two different casts! I was very impressed when i saw the Genie in Believe and found out what he was talking about :)

When Alex came back we watched the first half of the Boys on Disney on Demand in the room. They also had Waking Sleeping Beauty if you haven't seen it. Such a great documentary. The Boys was great too!

Alex went to Inside Out in 3D and I stayed with Avery - we had seen it before but since we loved it so much we wanted to see it again one last time on the big screen. The Buena Vista Theater is so awesome. i loved that they had movies playing there. We tried to go at night and take turns spending time solo if we weren't too tired. On the first day we tried taking Avery and were glad we used this as our movie test because the lil guy would not stay put!

It was time to set the clocks back an hour as we sailed on!

Next up: Day 3 Cozumel and halloween on the high seas!

PS you are going to have to tell me how the Magic goes! We are basically opposite each other! Our second will be on the Magic! I'm so curious! People I talked to onboard said it's a fantastic ship just smaller and less crowded.

following along, we will be on the fantasy next december.

That's awesome! It should be even more gorgeous with Christmas overlays. One thing I couldn't get over was so how pretty the lighting looked etc.

Day 3: Cozumel and Halloween on the High Seas
The day started with a visit to the Magic Porthole. We could literally wake up Avery by just saying "Look at the window!" I forget which character happened to be on the screen this morning but it was always fun to watch him get so excited!

IMG_2045.jpg

After getting ready it was a trip up to Cabana's for breakfast. We loved eating here each day. Avery loved the napkins (apologies to the cast members who had just rolled them!) He would pick them up and wonder what was inside. I think he always had ten pieces of silverware around him at all times :rotfl:

IMG_2049.jpg

We loved the selection of juice and fruit each day! As we had breakfast we pulled into Cozumel. Now originally we had planned not to get off the ship and enjoy a less crowded pool area BUT a certain disboarder told me a little secret about Kinder Surprise Eggs.

Back story, for those of you who don't know. Kinder Surprise Eggs are not sold in the states due to a potential choking hazard. They are kinder chocolate with a tube inside holding a small toy. There have been a series of youtube videos which our son found. He will sit and watch two hands open eggs for at least 10 minutes at a time. Apparently he isn't the only one, each video has millions of views! Anyway, we found that the Mega Supermarket just off the port dock sold them! Of course we had to go get some as a special treat for our son whilst onboard (we did not take them off the boat into the states). We actually ended up giving one to our Steward and a few to the characters, more on that later :)

A toddlers paradise! They were a dollar each!

IMG_2104.jpg

I will say, I bought a few of the Disney themed ones to the right and they were in really bad shape. We just took the toy out and threw the rest away (they are not Kinder eggs but off brand). The Kinder Eggs were all perfect though! Again I will stress, we only ate these on board.

IMG_2111.jpg

The supermarket is about a ten minute walk from the pier. We felt very safe. You can actually see it when you dock. And they take American currency or credit cards. Margaritaville is also right across the street.

Back to the ship we went, I think we were offshore for a little under an hour. Typically on other lines everyone gets off the boat so it's a great time to spend on the pool deck. Not really the case with Disney I suppose as about 30% of the ship stayed onboard. The pools were always busy but sea days were by far the most crowded. We had a great time regardless.

IMG_2134.jpg

Loved seeing this each time we came back on board. There were also hand sanitizing stations that you had to use to get back on the ship.

IMG_2151.jpg

As soon as we changed it was up to Deck 9 for Nemo's Reef! This time we brought our camera

IMG_2158_1.jpg

We loved being here each day! It is such a great idea for kids who are too young to swim in the bigger pools!

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg
IMG_2191.jpg

Don't kid yourself, that slide was crazy fast! For some reason (we are thinking boys have more fabric covering on swimsuits) little girls would totally careen off the slide and mat. Avery always made it just to the mat but other parents would totally crack up when their daughter would fly off the slide at super speed. All the kids seemed to LOVE this! The bigger kids would come in but if it got too crowded the lifeguards always asked them nicely to leave.

Monsters Inc was showing on the funnel vision, they had movies running every other hour with fun little videos and trivia in between.

IMG_2256_1.jpg

As you can see it's a not crazy crowded but crowded compared to other lines where you really are the only one on deck.

After our morning activities and lunch at cabana's it was time for a quick rest in the room. Tonight was Halloween on the High Seas, a lot of people thought Avery was a spy until they saw my black wig and Alex's red shoes. Ratatouille is one of our favorite Pixar movies, we were excited to put these costumes on. Avery was supposed to be Chef Skinner, Alex Linguini, and me as Colette.

IMG_2263.jpg

Daisy always loved seeing Avery. Tonight was no different. Again the lines were short at first and picked up as folks came in from their day. We caught Goofy in his Mummy costume! He tried to teach Avery how to stand like a Mummy, it sort of worked

IMG_2302.jpg

Pluto surprised everyone by just walking around! I loved greeting characters like this because you never knew what they would do and they always kept on the move.

IMG_2320.jpg

Then it was up to meet Hook and Smee - their line grew quite a bit while we waited. This was the first time they were out during the cruise. Avery said tick tock and Smee took off for the hills. Captain Hook meanwhile pointed at my husband and I and shook his finger "no, no, no" it was great!

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

We also caught up with Minnie and Chip and Dale. it was great seeing everyone in their Halloween attire.

IMG_2395.jpg
IMG_2375.jpg

The dance party was next and honestly it was bit too much for Avery to take. Not that it wasn't awesome (it was) but just that there were a lot of people and he didn't understand the concept of dancing with the characters as opposed to hugging :)

Dinner was in Animator's Palate! I couldn't wait!

IMG_2429_1.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

Everything is themed so wonderfully here. Tonight was Turtle Talk with Crush only when he came out he didn't talk. It was a glich and without word the program rebooted and never came back. Our servers said Crush had to attend to Squirt which was sad but we had seen it in the park so we were okay missing out.

Menu reviews:

Alex and me: We got the same things! Only my Tenderloin had to be Medium Well because of the pregnancy
  • Truffle Pasta - WE LOVED THIS, i can see what it's a huge hit! I was even sure to take a picture because I knew it was a popular choice of the boards :)
  • IMG_2434.jpg~c100

• Potato Soup - Good, but we weren't in love with it
  • Tenderloin - the Wasabi potatoes were phenomenal and a surprise hit of the dish
  • Cookies and Cream Sundaes - just as tasty as the previous evening
Avery
  • Burger and Salad
  • Ice Cream - tonight the servers gave him whipped cream and a mickey (this was a hit and continued the rest of the cruise)

At this point, we noticed Avery was really sleepy. At first we thought, that's odd but then we realized the time change! To him, it was 8 not 7 which meant bedtime!

I went to Inside Out in 3-D and Alex stayed back with our very sleepy toddler. It was my first time around the ship at night and I loved seeing all the activity going on. The characters were out and about and everyone seemed to be having a great time. (i've said it before but it really seemed like everyone was so happy!)

Following along! I can't wait to try a Halloween cruise in the future, it looks so fun. Cant wait to read more from your trip.

Back story, for those of you who don't know. Kinder Surprise Eggs are not sold in the states due to a potential choking hazard. They are kinder chocolate with a tube inside holding a small toy. There have been a series of youtube videos which our son found. He will sit and watch two hands open eggs for at least 10 minutes at a time. Apparently he isn't the only one, each video has millions of views!

Sometimes it feels like DD has logged almost 1 million of those views. Haha!

Don't kid yourself, that slide was crazy fast! For some reason (we are thinking boys have more fabric covering on swimsuits) little girls would totally careen off the slide and mat. Avery always made it just to the mat but other parents would totally crack up when their daughter would fly off the slide at super speed. All the kids seemed to LOVE this!

It's the same on the Dream. Actually, a dumb mom kept riding it and nearly knocking kids and parents over. The lifeguards were a bit slow to tell her to stop and I almost think they were in shock that she would be riding the tiny kiddie slide!

Following along! I can't wait to try a Halloween cruise in the future, it looks so fun. Cant wait to read more from your trip.

Hi! :wave:
Actually, I was just telling my husband this morning that after next year (we are sailing on a Merrytime cruise) I may always do Halloween on the seas as opposed to the parks. It really was so much fun. Less crowded and more Halloween activities. But I mean there are pros and cons for sure. At least for now we might do it cause Avery can't stay up late enough to justify the party ticket at this point. I hope you enjoy it when you go!

Sometimes it feels like DD has logged almost 1 million of those views. Haha!

I believe it!

It's the same on the Dream. Actually, a dumb mom kept riding it and nearly knocking kids and parents over. The lifeguards were a bit slow to tell her to stop and I almost think they were in shock that she would be riding the tiny kiddie slide!

No way! I would have been so upset, with the aqua duck and mickey slide there just isn't a need for it! :crazy2: I think there was one lifeguard who very clearly did not want that shift so things got a bit out of hand but usually I can happily report that they were all over it. It's a slightly dangerous area since it can be really slippery but man, we loved it.

Day 4: Grand Cayman
We had already been to Grand Cayman on several occasions so we decided to stay on the boat. The tendering process can take forever but on this cruise they actually got done with priority tendering a half an hour early! Had we gone ashore that would have been great!

IMG_2491.jpg

First it was breakfast at Cabana's! Avery loves Finding Nemo so the decor here was always a big hit with him. I really liked it too!

IMG_2449_1.jpg

I forget where Alex went but Avery and I were solo for a bit so we played Goofy Golf. We had the course all to ourselves. Avery took about a minute a hole since he doesn't really understand the concept of putt putt yet, he just likes to push the ball to the hole and celebrate that he did it:teeth:

After that it was on to our first meet and greet. This was also the only Navigator mishap we had that I mentioned in an earlier post. We had planned on seeing Ariel at 5:15 that night but the printed navigator said she was out at 8:45 AM! I should stress that the printed Navigator said 5:15 on the schedule page but 8:45 AM on the little corner character recap spot. My phone was still reading 5:15. Needless to say we were a bit confused. :confused3 This was Avery's favorite character meet up so we knew we couldn't miss her. So before breakfast we checked with Guest Services. They said to always trust the little character blurb on the navigator and the Character board in the lobby next to their desk. So each day we checked there just to be sure we didn't miss anyone. After this day it didn't it happen again. Since we were focused on Ariel we caught it early and didn't mind HOWEVER a lot of guests were upset later in the day when Captain Hook and Smee didn't show and characters were in different places. I think the Character team could not have handled it better and even added a few surprises which are featured towards the end of the post. :bitelip: They were going down every line that night making sure folks were in line for who they wanted to see and apologizing for the confusion. It was really great service recovery and we were sure to thank them for it!

Here's a shot of the character board, Avery loved calling out the characters as they flashed on the screen.

IMG_2541.jpg

Avery was once again incredibly excited only to clam up when Ariel greeted him, she got such a kick out of that.

IMG_2451.jpg

When we went downstairs we had a surprise visit from Tiana! She hugged Avery for quite some time, and he again greeted her with a ribbit ribbit :rotfl2:I really did love these character meet ups that were just around ship. It was so neat to see characters just walking around. Reminded me of when i was little in the parks before character meet ups became so huge.

IMG_2472.jpg

We also saw Pluto again - he had a short line and Avery wanted to jump in

IMG_2484.jpg

After that it was of course, time for more Nemo's Reef!

Side note, I forgot about. Avery fell the first day at Nemo's Reef near the stairs by the slide. He got a nice little chin scrape but wanted to keep going. :crutches: Such a trooper The lifeguard was very attentive to us within seconds and made sure he was okay. He obviously didn't wish to interrupt Avery's playtime but made sure we had a band aid.

We had lunch at Cabana's and I finally stopped by Flo's V8 cafe! The BBQ Chicken Pizza was soooo yummy. One of my favorite things was that the pizza changed each day in Cabana's. I loved the variety!

After lunch we headed down to the Oceaneer Club for Open House. Avery really enjoyed being here and surprisingly it was always completely quiet during these times. I was expecting things to be a bit busy but they never were. We were usually one of two families in there. The youth conselors were so nice and I really am looking forward to sending Avery there next year.

IMG_2497.jpg

This was so cute, you laughed to power the ship and if you laughed in the places it was collected the power canisters actually lit up

IMG_2504.jpg

Next up we attempted the Midship Detective Agency. We tried to find who stole the Muppets Props.
Pepe's door - i heard you could call him but we never did :(

IMG_2511_1.jpg

Pros:
If you want a tour of the ship there is NO better way than through this game, it takes you everywhere!
It was great seeing the muppets!

Cons:
Avery lost interest after the second round so it was kind of hard to enjoy after that

I won't reveal who stole the goods but it was definitely a journey to find them! Not an easy game for sure! We went back to our room and rested with Disney on Demand movies for an hour or so.

IMG_2713.jpg

Then it was off to yes, more characters. The great thing about the cruise is they meet in so many different outfits so you aren't getting the same picture each time. Again we found that the earlier you arrive before that main seating dinner starts the better the lines are.

We hoped in Donald's line twice because no one was in line after we were done which Donald loved! Avery loved meeting him!

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

In between photos Avery decided he would goof off while waiting for Goofy. Apparently he needed more rest? The camera lady was cracking up. Avery would pop his head up every time she laughed and give her a huge smile. Toddlers pretending to be tired....story of my life

IMG_2563.jpg

Goofy came out!

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

Stich came up next and Avery was very excited to see him. He had just gotten into Lilo and Stich right before we left so it was good timing to meet him for the first time. We taught him Aloha and Stich was very pleased!

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

Tiana was due out in the balcony so we asked Avery and of course he said yes! Seriously we were the toddler character paparazi party! At first my husband was like, I hope they don't mind meeting us over and over but every time we greeted them they were ecstatic to see Avery and us. It was one of the coolest things and a memory I will cherish for a very long time!

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

At first, we were telling Avery say bye bye Tiana, we knew there were others in line but Tiana would not let him go! So we waited and caught this little moment!

IMG_2658.jpg

We went out into the Lobby to kill some time before dinner and a Character Greeter came up to me and Avery saying "Hey Avery if you want to meet Cinderella she'll be upstairs in five minutes" This was not on the calendar or navigator, they simply brought her out as a surprise! Again a testament to that team as they knew we would totally be up for it! They got to know us quickly and always made it a point to talk to us whenever we saw them. Since no one was in line we were able to spend a lot of time with her. It was so great! She taught Avery some princely manners and they talked about the pumpkins on the Halloween Tree. She's my favorite princess so I loved seeing her interact with Avery! :blush: Did not get emotional at all. Thank you pregnancy hormones!

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

Dinner tonight was the Pirate and Princess Menu at Enchanted Garden. This was our last night at Enchanted Garden which felt a little strange since we were only halfway through the cruise. I really tried to soak it in, such a beautiful restaurant!

A side note on service. The table next to us had a lot of kids, my husband looked over and was like "OMG look at that" It was the entire serving staff cutting up the kids chicken breast! We couldn't believe it! Had to take a picture!

IMG_2663.jpg

Our serving team was really great, here's our head waiter showing Avery a magic trick!

IMG_2665.jpg

Menu reviews:

Alex
  • Smoked Salmon - thought it was good
  • Coronation Greens Salad - liked it
  • Turkey and Stuffing - loved the potatoes and stuffing in particular. I had a bite of it, really creamy and tasty!
  • Aurora Sundae - correction, he loved this way more than the Cookies N Cream from the night before. And I quote, "Rocky Road always wins" :)

Ashley
  • Princess Tiana Shrimp and Rice - Shrimp was great, the jambalaya rice was okay
  • Coronation Greens - liked it
  • Kids Menu Broccoli and Cheddar Soup - yes, i got a kids menu dish and it was really good :)
  • NY Strip Steak - i couldn't get my typical medium rare so i was sad :(
  • Aurora Sundae - I preferred the Cookies N Cream Sundae, not a huge Rocky Road fan
Avery
  • Pasta
  • Salad
  • They brought him fries without us asking for them :)
  • Chocolate ice cream sundae

So after dinner we went up to the fourth floor balcony to see Ariel again. While we were waiting Cinderella appeared and greeted Avery saying Ariel would be out soon (he always told the other characters he was waiting for Ariel) Cinderella was leading a few select girls in a really cool event. I'm not sure what you needed to do to participate in this (maybe the Royal Tea package?) All the new little princesses joined Cinderella on the balcony and walked down the staircase waved for a picture and then danced with their dads. It was really sweet.

IMG_2673.jpg

During the event Ariel came up behind Avery and surprised him. They watched it together. It was so cute! Avery started getting over his starstruck past with her at this point so he talked to her more which she loved!

IMG_2679.jpg

A little blurry but he tried to show her what Cinderella taught him earlier

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

On our way back to the elevators we saw Cinderella again!

IMG_2711.jpg

After that Avery and Alex headed to bed and I headed to Wishes. You aren't allowed to take pictures in the Walt Disney Theater but I did capture this, so pretty in there.

IMG_3127.jpg

Wishes was good but not my favorite show that I saw. I loved the Mulan duet. the actors were so talented! I also loved that they incorporated one of my favorite Little Mermaid songs (I won't spoil it by saying which one)
Outside the theater on the fourth floor (i sat on the main level)

IMG_3130.jpg

Heading back up the stairs, I had to snap this too, I loved the huge paintings on each deck!

IMG_3129.jpg

Now here's a little pixie dust surprise. Before the show, a lot of officers were standing around greeting people (I think it was a pin trading event actually) I saw the Assistant Cruise Director Michelle and stopped by to let her know how much we were enjoying our cruise and especially how much we loved the Character Team. This was maybe a five minute conversation, and I mentioned my son's name was Avery so the team would know which guest paid them a compliment if it was passed along.

IMG_2717.jpg

When I got back to my room this was hanging on my door! It included a note from our Cruise Director Darren saying that Michelle had passed along my feedback, they were so happy to hear we were having a good time, and wished us a magical cruise the rest of the week! Alex and I were stunned. I mean seriously this was the result of a five minute conversation where i did not give my stateroom or name! In addition I just wanted to ensure the character team was recognized cause wow, were they making our trip. We certainly weren't expecting this. Inside there was a lovely DCL journal, Mickey pirate tattoos (which we wore on pirate night) juggling balls for Avery, and a character autograph from the Fab 5! Talk about Pixie Dust. No one does it like Disney! (I will continue this again in my overall recap at the end of this TR)

After that awesome surprise, Alex was awake so he went to see Avengers in 3-D and I went to bed.

Next up: Day 5: Jamaica and Pirates in the Caribbean

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter