1st Alaska Visit

Sakura1017

DIS Veteran
Update: Since 8 night sept is now offered instead of usual 7 night
If you could go to Alaska once which itinerary would you choose Dawes glacier 8 nights or hubbard glacier 9 nights?
-What were your best excursions at the ports that were non-helicopter. Also did you book via DCL or with a private company.
-Does it matter which stateroom port or starboard side if you had a verandah?
How was the motion if you were to choose between a midship vs forward?
-Can anyone who sailed recently tell me how their experience was in stateroom 8032? I was on the hawaii cruise and had 8548 and that room was horrible. Sound was already vibrating in the room on day 1. They couldn't find the source during my stay and I didn't bring up the noise level until day 4 which was too late since they didn't have any rooms comparable to switch too. Also the sofa bed was definitely in need of replacement.
-How is the weather in terms of Alaska in July versus September
-What activities would be different in July vs September or animal sightseeing
-In Sept regardless of which date can you sea the aurora?
-If you had the opportunity to get one of the royal suites is it worth it on an 8 night cruise if only 1 sea day?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hubbard Glacier. I always book excursions with the cruise line to avoid any potential issues. Doesn't matter which side of the ship for two reasons. First, the views are amazing from either side. Second, most folks in Alaska spend their time on the top decks because the amazing views surround you and if you stay in your stateroom, you miss them. You are cruising so slowly and in protected waterways for much of an Alaskan cruise so motion isn't an issue.

Our favorite port was Skagway. We did the train ride in the morning and then spent the afternoon in town. We enjoyed Ketchican, but don’t recommend the boat tour we took to see waterfalls and whales. It was very long and the scenery from start to finish was the same. We did see a pod of whales, but nothing else of significance.

Juneau was only a half day, so we didnt get to see much and I wish we had spent more time there.

Our least favorite was Icy Strait Point. There is nothing to do at the port and whatever you do, don’t take the tram to town. There is absolutely nothing there. We thought we had been punked. When I say nothing, that’s what I mean. Some of our group did the ATV and they did enjoy that.

We stayed on deck 6 midship and it was a great location. We had a verandah, so we stayed there on glacier day. It was freezing though, so be prepared. It was Dawes Glacier, but I hear Hubbard is better.

I was very reluctant to do an Alaskan cruise, because I do not like cold or rain. I will say though, we had a great time! Once was enough though, I don’t think I would do it again.

Last edited:
I am normally not in the “longer cruises arr always better” camp but in this case, I vote9 night since Alaska is so gorgeous you will never want to leave.

I always book with the cruise line for excursions unless where I am going is literally walkable from the ship because I am too scared of missing the ship. We have had cruises where the ship departed an hour late because something delayed an official cruise excursion (e.g. a car accident that delayed the bus). But the ship doesn’t wait for private excursions.

My favorite Alaska excursion was horseback riding. Views were amazing and I love horses.

Definitely Hubbard glacier. That was worth the whole trip. Skagway was our least favorite stop. Whale watching in Icy Point (after our helicopter dog-sledding excursion) was hands down our favorite excursion. We saw humpbacks and orcas. We even witnessed bubble netting, which we were told is very rare to see. Because of that excursion, anytime we are traveling and have the opportunity to go whale watching, we take it. Once we found midship on the 6th floor, we always stay there. There are little to no vibrations and motion is very limited, especially sailing the inside passage.

We've done 3 Alaskan cruises. I prefer starboard side. I love being out on the verandah with a cup of coffee very early in the morning and passing land. I would choose the Hubbard Glacier cruise because...well, Hubbard Glacier! I left in our helicopter excursions for anyone else who might be interested.

In Ketchikan we've done seaplanes with Island Wings 3x (twice to - successfully - see bears at Anan Creek and Traitor's Cove - and once Misty Fjord Sightseeing). Awesome company and excursions.

In Juneau we went whale-watching twice and did a Pilot's Choice double glacier landing with Temsco Helicopters. Very cool to walk on the glaciers. We've also gone up the Tramway which provides great views over the town and beyond. We stopped at Red Dog Saloon for lunch.

In Skagway we did the dog-sledding/glacier excursion with Temsco Helicopters and twice we rented a car and using Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway drove to Emerald Lake. (Google for the guide which lists things to see/do by mile marker. Some of the places we stopped at along the way - Tutshi to see the Sled Dogs(puppies), Yukon Suspension Bridge, and the Welcome to Alaska highway sign.) Be sure to bring a passport for when you cross into Canada.

In Sitka we walked around on our own and went to the Raptor Center, Sitka National Historical Park/Totem Park, St. Michael's Orthodox Cathedral, and had a reindeer hot dog.

We were one of the first ships when we went to Icy Strait Point and there wasn't much going on so other than taking a bus around the town, we didn't do much.

In Victoria we did a hop on hop off bus with a stop at Craigdarroch Castle and a stop to explore downtown, walking as far as Fan Tan Alley. Then we walked to the wharf and had some fish and chips at Barb's while we watched the sea planes landing amongst the float homes.

We always had an amazing time and had time to walk through the town (Ketchikan has totem poles and Creek Street, Juneau has the tram for great views, etc.) - and there's plenty of shopping although most stores in each port and from port to port are very similar.

We booked everything on our own - nothing through the cruise line. Whatever you do, you'll have a blast!

I will say though, we had a great time! Once was enough though, I don’t think I would do it again.
Right there with you.

What were your best excursions at the ports that were non-helicopter. Also did you book via DCL or with a private company.
DH had a no-helicopter rule too.

We did one with Disney in Juneau - Photo Safari of the Glacier and Whale Watching. It was awesome.

In Ketchikan, we did the Bering Sea Fishermen via an independent booking, but it was also a Disney excursion, so there was no worry about not making it back. Definitely a 4-star activity.

- The longer, the better. 9 night over 7 nights if price isn't an issue.
- Hubbard over Dawes.
- Arrange your own excursions. Alaska is a US state. Can't get any easier to DIY.

Taking my first Alaska cruise in Sept! I am currently signed up for Dawes Glacier explorer, and also Glacier Wilderness Explorer the next day in Scagway. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not these are too similar? I’m leaning towards cancelling Dawes and just seeing it from the ship.

Also, in Juneau we are scheduled for Whale Watching with Harv and Marv. After these other two excursions, do you think we will have already seen whales and maybe should do something else in Juneau?

We are doing the deadliest catch Sea Crab tour in Ketchikan.

Thanks!

We've done 3 Alaskan cruises. I prefer starboard side. I love being out on the verandah with a cup of coffee very early in the morning and passing land. I would choose the Hubbard Glacier cruise because...well, Hubbard Glacier! I left in our helicopter excursions for anyone else who might be interested.

In Ketchikan we've done seaplanes with Island Wings 3x (twice to - successfully - see bears at Anan Creek and Traitor's Cove - and once Misty Fjord Sightseeing). Awesome company and excursions.

In Juneau we went whale-watching twice and did a Pilot's Choice double glacier landing with Temsco Helicopters. Very cool to walk on the glaciers. We've also gone up the Tramway which provides great views over the town and beyond. We stopped at Red Dog Saloon for lunch.

In Skagway we did the dog-sledding/glacier excursion with Temsco Helicopters and twice we rented a car and using Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway drove to Emerald Lake. (Google for the guide which lists things to see/do by mile marker. Some of the places we stopped at along the way - Tutshi to see the Sled Dogs(puppies), Yukon Suspension Bridge, and the Welcome to Alaska highway sign.) Be sure to bring a passport for when you cross into Canada.

In Sitka we walked around on our own and went to the Raptor Center, Sitka National Historical Park/Totem Park, St. Michael's Orthodox Cathedral, and had a reindeer hot dog.

Did you just walk off the boat and walk around? How far is stuff when you get off?
We were one of the first ships when we went to Icy Strait Point and there wasn't much going on so other than taking a bus around the town, we didn't do much.

In Victoria we did a hop on hop off bus with a stop at Craigdarroch Castle and a stop to explore downtown, walking as far as Fan Tan Alley. Then we walked to the wharf and had some fish and chips at Barb's while we watched the sea planes landing amongst the float homes.

We always had an amazing time and had time to walk through the town (Ketchikan has totem poles and Creek Street, Juneau has the tram for great views, etc.) - and there's plenty of shopping although most stores in each port and from port to port are very similar.

We booked everything on our own - nothing through the cruise line. Whatever you do, you'll have a blast!

Right there with you.

DH had a no-helicopter rule too.

We did one with Disney in Juneau - Photo Safari of the Glacier and Whale Watching. It was awesome.

In Ketchikan, we did the Bering Sea Fishermen via an independent booking, but it was also a Disney excursion, so there was no worry about not making it back. Definitely a 4-star activity.
Did you feel like you didn't miss out on things by not doing a helicopter activity? I would definitely want to if I could and would choose dog sledding but my parents do not want to go on any helicopters at all. So Alaska has been put off for awhile, but now with the 50% off sailings due to changes in the Wish schedule we might do it now. Trying to find value in going even if you can't do dog sledding.

Did you feel like you didn't miss out on things by not doing a helicopter activity? I would definitely want to if I could and would choose dog sledding but my parents do not want to go on any helicopters at all. So Alaska has been put off for awhile, but now with the 50% off sailings due to changes in the Wish schedule we might do it now. Trying to find value in going even if you can't do dog sledding.
I’m a no helicopter person and my DH and I are splitting up in Juneau. He will go on a helicopter/glacier walk solo and I will take the kids and explore Mendenhall glacier’s hiking trails from the ground. I have been there before and it is beautiful and very easy to do on my own even with kids in tow so I am perfectly content. Is it an option for you to split up from your family one day and do the helicopter solo like my DH? If not, I wouldn’t worry as Alaska glaciers are stunning from ground level too.

Last edited:
Did you just walk off the boat and walk around? How far is stuff when you get off?

In all places, there are shops and restaurants when you get off the ship. Ketchikan has a lot to explore in town as well. Juneau was good as well - the tramway and a few other things. Skagway is a little further walk from the ship if anyone has mobility challenges.

I would choose the Hubbard Glacier over Dawes. If you're doing a round trip itinerary, either side of the ship is fine. For a one way, I would choose whichever side faces land for your itinerary.

We're getting ready to take our second trip. There is plenty to do without the dog sledding.
This trip we are zip lining, .kayaking, salmon fishing, whale watching.and the glacier cruise.

On our last trip we helicoptered to a glacier (no dog sledding) from Skagway, rented a car in Juneau to go to Mendenhall and went zip lining in Ketechekan.

Last edited:
We booked the actual cruise with Disboard sponsor Dreams Unlimited and it was great, we got onboard credit and a goodie bag, and got the exact stateroom we wanted. We were starboard midship and faced the glacier second after the port side, the ocean movement was never bothersome. We booked all excursions independently so they could be mostly private, and they were still mostly cheaper than going through DCL. The only one we did via DCL was the Glacier Explorer but that's not available at Hubbard because the smaller boats don't go there. If we went back, we would do Hubbard Glacier for sure anyway. Our excursions were: Skagway: Temsco helicopter to glacier walk because the cloud cover made the dogsled glacier not available, Green jeep rental to Tutsi dogsled summer camp/gold panning; Juneau: private whale watch tour on the Scania; Ketchikan: Misty Fjord's sightseeing with Alaska Seaplane Tours. I don't know if I would go with Alaska Seaplane Tours again, but I would recommend the others.

Just disembarked the Wonder. We did a tour in Skagway with Chilkoot Charters which was amazing! I highly recommend them! In Ketchikan, we did the Aleutian Ballad crab boat tour. We booked this directly through the company. Our tour was completely full of people from the Wonder. About 15-20 of us must have booked direct because we all arrived and were seated prior to the huge group coming from the Wonder. This saved us money and they have a decent cancellation policy as well. We all really enjoyed this tour and would recommend it as well.

I vote 9 night. Alaska is amazing and I can’t wait to go back in August.

We also did no planes or helicopters and had an amazing time. We booked everything through independent companies.

Juneau - Whale Watching with Rum Runner Charters. We were on a private boat and the captain was amazing.

Skagway - We used Beyond Skagway to go into the Yukon all the way to Emerald Lake. We haven’t done the train, but I can’t imagine it was better than this tour since we got to stop at a bunch of other sites too.

Ketchikan - We booked the lumberjack show and crab feast independently. Very fun for my then 6 year old. If you don’t have young kids, I’d skip the show though. It’s cute but not earth shattering entertainment.

This time our cruise goes to Icy Straight instead of Skagway. I wish we were going back to Skagway because that tour was so amazing. In August, we are doing Rum Runner in Juneau again and plan to head to the glacier after. We’re doing the small boat at the glacier. In Ketchikan, we’re going to explore on our own. We have a couple things booked at Icy Straight Point but might end up just doing the tram and the little independent hike at the top.

Good luck deciding. Alaska has been our best vacation ever to date.

How long did it take you in Sitka to walk around on your own to do Raptor Center, Sitka national park? Are they nearby to each other?

How long did it take you in Sitka to walk around on your own to do Raptor Center, Sitka national park? Are they nearby to each other?
Yes, they are all near to each other - probably within a half hour walking. Add in the time visiting each places and getting something to eat - as well as getting into town. We probably spent 4-5 hours total.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter