1br DLH versus 3 rooms Marriott Suites - help

dreeger

Mouseketeer
Need some advice

My partner and I are taking 2 of our college-aged adult sons and their girlfriends to DL next month and I really need some help in deciding on our accommodations.

Currently I have 3 separate suites reserved at the Marriott Suites in Garden Grove, and a 1br suite at DLH for roughly the same cost for a spring break trip.

Having 3 couples in a 1 br suite just seems so cramped and confined, but I've become so spoiled with the perks of staying onsite.

Pros for staying offsite:
A bit cheaper
All couples have their own room and own privacy
Includes breakfast, which will help with food costs
Pool/Spa open much later than at DLH
Restaurants near hotel more affordable than resort restaurants
Starbucks and Full bar at the hotel

Cons for staying offsite:
No early entry :-(
Have to cab/shuttle/uber every time we want to go back and forth between park & hotel

Tell me what you would do and why? I really want to stay onsite because I love being in the Disney bubble, but now that we have adult kids, not sure it outweighs the pros of staying offsite.

You are very generous covering all of the costs, but as such this means you get to do what YOU want everyone else is just along for the ride. You say you really want to stay onsite so yep, it will be cramped but if YOU are ok with that do it.

That being said... how many bathrooms in the 1 bedroom suite at DLH? Personally, if the 1 bedroom suite only has one bathroom that sounds like a nightmare with 6 adults, but that's just me.

Have you checked out the Wyndham? I love being on site but I couldn’t share a room / bathroom with 5 other adults. That’s just me. Privacy is a priority for me. :laughing:

They're all "starving" (aka unemployed) college students at the moment, so I think they'll do whatever Mama wants to do ;-)

Well, book away then! I know I would in a heartbeat! It could be fun having everyone there. MM/EE will be a big factor for us. Those hours in the morning are magical for us. What ever you decide, I hope you have a great time.

I’ve stayed at each of the three Disney properties but our kids were younger then. Our last trip we did the Howard Johnson & liked it a lot. A lot! Whatever you choose, you’ll have a great time.

I haven't, but will look into it. If I recall correctly, I think the 1br at DLH does have 2 full bathrooms, but good point...I will take a look at that.

We stayed in a 1 BR suite @ the DLH a year ago with my sister. I do not recall there being 2 full bathrooms. There are 2 bathrooms, but only 1 of them has a tub/shower. And the sleeping arrangements were 2 queen beds in the bedroom and a queen-sized pull out on the sofa in the "living room" area. The pull out bed was SO comfortable. Seriously. I slept like a baby on it.

Need some advice

My partner and I are taking 2 of our college-aged adult sons and their girlfriends to DL next month and I really need some help in deciding on our accommodations.

Currently I have 3 separate suites reserved at the Marriott Suites in Garden Grove, and a 1br suite at DLH for roughly the same cost for a spring break trip.

Having 3 couples in a 1 br suite just seems so cramped and confined, but I've become so spoiled with the perks of staying onsite.

Pros for staying offsite:
A bit cheaper
All couples have their own room and own privacy
Includes breakfast, which will help with food costs
Pool/Spa open much later than at DLH
Restaurants near hotel more affordable than resort restaurants
Starbucks and Full bar at the hotel

Cons for staying offsite:
No early entry :-(
Have to cab/shuttle/uber every time we want to go back and forth between park & hotel

Tell me what you would do and why? I really want to stay onsite because I love being in the Disney bubble, but now that we have adult kids, not sure it outweighs the pros of staying offsite.

You should stay off site. Since this is a family-oriented message board, let's just say that your college-aged sons & their girlfriends will REALLY appreciate the privacy offered by having a bedroom with a door that closes off from everyone else. EVERYONE (including you & your partner) will have a better time overall on the trip if they all have their own bedrooms to sleep in.

As someone who is in the same boat as the "son's girlfriend", but his parents are doing two rooms: one for boys and one for girls (... still don't understand it). I would really really really appreciate the off-site hotel for a room for each couple. I probably wouldn't complain either way, but it would not be a fun experience to have to share one suite with 5 other adults who are not my family.

As someone who is in the same boat as the "son's girlfriend", but his parents are doing two rooms: one for boys and one for girls (... still don't understand it). I would really really really appreciate the off-site hotel for a room for each couple. I probably wouldn't complain either way, but it would not be a fun experience to have to share one suite with 5 other adults who are not my family.

That makes sense. I guess it depends on how long you’ve been together, what kind of relationship you have with your significant other’s family, and what kind of relationship you’re hoping to develop with his family. When my husband and I were dating/living together, we used to travel with each other’s families often.We were college students and didn’t have much money, and our parents were pretty frugal, so we shared rooms. Having been given the option, we would’ve preferred to have our own room, but we were grateful to be able to go, and we always ended up having a great time. In the process, we became very comfortable with each other’s families to the point that over time, there was very little distinction between “my family” and “his family.” By sharing a room with all the women in his family, you have a great opportunity to get to know them better.

That makes sense. I guess it depends on how long you’ve been together, what kind of relationship you have with your significant other’s family, and what kind of relationship you’re hoping to develop with his family. When my husband and I were dating/living together, we used to travel with each other’s families often.We were college students and didn’t have much money, and our parents were pretty frugal, so we shared rooms. Having been given the option, we would’ve preferred to have our own room, but we were grateful to be able to go, and we always ended up having a great time. In the process, we became very comfortable with each other’s families to the point that over time, there was very little distinction between “my family” and “his family.” By sharing a room with all the women in his family, you have a great opportunity to get to know them better.
You're absolutely right, and thanks so much for sharing your story! I didn't think about it in that way, and every relationship/comfort level is different.

For the OP, I think what would be the nicest thing you could do is to ask your college sons and GF's what they would personally prefer given the pros and cons of each. It's honestly incredible that you have the generosity and kindness to invite them in the first place, and I am 110% sure they are grateful because I would be if I were invited to a Disney trip (hasn't happened yet but I can hope). BUT it would really be going the extra mile if you would at least consider their preferences. Once again, it is your generosity with your family trip, and the "kids" are your guests. I think including them in the planning process for accommodations would just make it extra special for them.

Marriott. They have a shuttle but have you looked at the hotels near the convention center? Those are within walking distance.

Also, theres a Holiday Inn Anaheim Suites (?) On Walnut that's pretty nice too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter