Tell him that Disney complies with the ADA, and the law does not require "front of the line" access, only equal access. Explain that Disney has rebuilt and widened many of their original queues to accomodate wheelchairs and ECVs, so you wait in the same line with everyone else when possible to comply with the federal law.

If he still decides to make a scene, I would conveniently get separated from him in the crowds (ie head the opposite direction). "Oh, did you say Splash Mountain? I thought you said Space Mountain, silly me."

When we went 2 yrs ago, my mother told us we would get front of the line access with DH being in an ECV. Luckily, I had read enough here to know that wouldn't happen. It seems that her last trip to WDW when she rented an ECV at the park, you would get front-of-the line access.

When we went 2 yrs ago, my mother told us we would get front of the line access with DH being in an ECV. Luckily, I had read enough here to know that wouldn't happen. It seems that her last trip to WDW when she rented an ECV at the park, you would get front-of-the line access.

WDW has never had front of the line access for ECVs. She may have used the Fastpass lines instead of the standby lines for a lot of attractions, but she didn't get to cut those ahead of her there either.

WDW has never had front of the line access for ECVs.

Well once upon a time it did...sort of.

If you go back far enough to before the ADA, to the'70s & '80s, before Disney started building 'mainstream' lines, wheelchairs & ECVs couldn't use the regular lines because they were too narrow and/or twisty Wheelchairs & ECVs were taken in by an alternative route, often the exit door.

I can remember going in through the exit in my wheechair, but that was back in the days when epcot was E.P.C.O.T. and MGM hadn't been built.

Andrew

Take a look at the 3rd sticky post on this forum. Post #6 has lots of info about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards), guests in wheelchairs and ECVs and accommodations. It explains that being in a wheelchair, ECV or having a GAC does not grant you front of the line access. This may help you explain the rules to your uncle.

You can also try calling WDW directly for info. Get the final word from them. I wouldn't leave on the trip until he understands exactly how the lines will work with his ECV.

I'd print out the stuff up in the sticky and a few threads here about ECV's. Give the print-outs to him, and say "Hey, I found out a lot of information about ECV's and the parks!" And then run the opposite direction. Let him read it and figure it out on his own. He probably just doesn't believe you, you'll have to show him some proof.

Which ever way you go you are DOOMED. If you explain and shower him with facts, videos and books showing the facts about ECV use in WDW, federal and state laws for the disabled, WDW rules, etc. He will still probably go to the parks and do things his way. All you can do is explain the facts, be prepare on how to use the GAC, know disabled rights, know what he can and cannot do with an ECV like take it on the Teacups, and be prepared for him to make a scene.

I hope he does listen to you but doubt it. He knows WDW better than you do even if he is wrong. You might tell you family all you know about ECVs so they will also know you are right. At the parks you could ask the CM leading questions like "Will this get us to the head of the line?" which the cm will explain and you will say "I did not think so". That way when he is yelling at the CM you can remind him what the cm who gave him the GAC said. my New York trip was with a person who knew all about travel and ended up with me walking across all of LAX and skipping breakfast. It is hard to deal with someone who knows everything.

hugs, chin up, good luck:grouphug:

I would let him go his way by himself and whoever wants to go with him. Then I'd say "I want to see the que so you go ahead and I will wait in this line. We'll meet after the ride at -----." This would keep you away from him when he does throw his fit, and probably you will get done with the ride first. Then when he gets off and complains about not getting on first you can tell him I told you so and we don't want to hear about it again. This might curb his attitude.

I think you're moving the right direction on this. Continue to set firm bounderies; and provide him and his wife with information, so that at least he can't complain that no one told him. Try to appreciate him in small doses, instead of too much time together bringing out the worst in everyone. Most of all, have a wonderful trip! Appreciate the memories that you're making on this historic trip.

I would request a guide for guests with disabilities from WDW, they will mail it to you, and then I would just be direct and tell him that Disney doesn't operate that way he thinks it does, and then I would give him the brochure and tell him this is how it works.

The other thing is to have a plan on how to deal with the mornings. Talk to your MIL ahead of time so you are both on board.

"Uncle, we find it best with baby if we get a lot done in the morning and then go back for a nap. We will be leaving the hotel at 8:00am sharp and heading to Magic Kingdom. If for some reason you can't make that, we will meet you over there and you can give us a call on the cell phone."

If a ride doesn't have a special back entrance, then get in line and tell Uncle: "This line has mainstream access. Go ahead and talk to the cast member, but we will be here since you will end up here anyway."

on disney's website you can read what is in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities... perhaps if he reads something on the disney website itself, that may help.

If not, try to find a number for the special services at disney, and have him call and ask the people directly...

Trying to change the mind of an old(er) man is like trying to teach a rock to sing - and you generally have better luck with the rock. My father and grandfather are the two most stubborn men on the planet, and I take after them, so I do not mean that to be insulting, just realistic :)

I hope whatever happens you have a great trip!

Just because you are at Disney at the same time that they are does not mean that you have to do everything with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter