18% Gratutiy

Minnie's Mate

DIS Veteran
I just received an e-mail from Disney Dinning Experience that stated effective 11/11/07 all Epcot restaurants will add 18% gratuity regardless of party size. I don't like this idea. I prefer to determine how much gratuity I leave. If the service is OK, I generally leave 15-20%. If the service is great I leave more. If the service stinks, I ask to speak to the manager.

This seems to me that Disney is trying to control too much of my Dinning Experience!...granted, I gathered from the e-mail that this was not limited to DDE customers, I still think it stinks!

DisUnplugged gang, what's up with this?

This only affects the DDE and parties of 6 or more, no one else.

Right. With all the confusion over on the dining board I had to come over here to check my sanity.

From all ears
The Walt Disney World® Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. (11/8/07 Disney Dining Experience Newsletter)

This is reportedly for ALL table service locations regardless of whether you are using a Disney Dining Experience card or not.

Sorry to say this time AllEars source is not correct, if you read futher it says "reportedly".

I am sure Kevin or someone from DIS will be along to get the record straight. But I don't report rumors, it is only DDE and parties of 6 or more that will be affected.

According to Disney, the above is incorrect.

This new 18% gratuity will be across the board. It will be added to each and every check at all Disney restuarants regardless of party size or whether you are using a DDE card or not.

This will not include counter service restaurants or carts.

This information comes directly from the folks at the Disney Dining Experience and Guest Relations.

I am sure Kevin or someone from DIS will be along to get the record straight.

According to Disney, the above is incorrect.

This new 18% gratuity will be across the board. It will be added to each and every check at all Disney restuarants regardless of party size or whether you are using a DDE card or not.

This will not include counter service restaurants or carts.

This information comes directly from the folks at the Disney Dining Experience and Guest Relations.

And in swoops Kevin. Right on time

Is the 18% added on after the discount is calculated?

No....the 18% will be added to the pre-tax total and then the DDE discount will be added.

Ok... Pardon my ignorance to the obvious... I'm a little sleep deprived from a sick child right now... :confused: Does this mean that if my family of four eats at any TS restaurant, do not use DDP/DDE and we pay cash that we will be automatically paying 18% gratuity? I thought the new change was that the automatic gratuity would be changed from parties of 8 to parties of 6.

TIA

According to Disney, everyone that dines at a table service restuarant will be paying an 18% gratuity regardless of party size.

If this policy goes through (we have all seen Disney re-think some BAD ideas) then I feel this is also going to make for some DEMANDING customers.

I expect to tip good service and always do..…but if I am being forced to tip ALL service good or bad….then I am going to expect EXCELLENT service each and every time and will be very vocal when I receive less than the service level I am being forced to reward.

This is no longer a tip or a gratuity…it is now a service charge and should be called exactly what it is.

Ok... Pardon my ignorance to the obvious... I'm a little sleep deprived from a sick child right now... :confused: Does this mean that if my family of four eats at any TS restaurant, do not use DDP/DDE and we pay cash that we will be automatically paying 18% gratuity?

TIA

Thats how I read it - not sure if this sounds like a good thing. I am from the UK and tipping is not the norm in this country. Will the servers not become complacent is they are getting an 18% gratuity :eek:

According to Disney, everyone that dines at a table service restuarant will be paying an 18% gratuity regardless of party size.

If this policy goes through (we have all seen Disney re-think some BAD ideas) then I feel this is also going to make for some DEMANDING customers.

I expect to tip good service and always do..…but if I am being forced to tip ALL service good or bad….then I am going to expect EXCELLENT service each and every time and will be very vocal when I receive less than the service level I am being forced to reward.

This is no longer a tip or a gratuity…it is now a service charge and should be called exactly what it is.

Wow! I seriously hope Disney rethinks this one. While we never experienced bad services while using the DDP I heard plenty of stories of people saying that they had less than attentive servers because the server knew they were getting an 18% tip regardless. We are generous tippers if the service warrants it but I do not like being told that I will be giving a set amount. I really won't like it if I feel that the service was 12% service and not 18% service.

If the 18% is added pre-tax, then in effect isn't that an additional 3.6% discount?

definition of gratuity: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service....

how can the "18% gratuity" across the board be called a gratuity when it is mandatory and not given voluntarily or beyond obligation? I firmly believe that when there is no incentitive to provide excellent service the patron will end up on the losing end. Why would any waiter offer that extra cup of coffee etc when they know if they dont they may receive more money by seating another family sooner....

Why would any waiter offer that extra cup of coffee etc when they know if they dont they may receive more money by seating another family sooner....

This is an excellent point. We (DW and I) had dinner at CG one trip a few years ago for our anniversary. The waiter was quite obviously attempting to turn his tables quickly to make more in tips. I rewarded him with a less than average tip for this reason. Had we not been rushed to order and been allowed to enjoy a nice quite dinner and drinks we more than likely would have tipped greater than 18%. This was his loss as we had already drank two bottles of wine. :drinking1

I think that someon will re-think this. It may cut down on the number of PS, woohoo! More priority seating for us. I am willing to argue with a restaraunt manager if I feel that I did not get exemplary service.

Does this mean that if my family of four eats at any TS restaurant, do not use DDP/DDE and we pay cash that we will be automatically paying 18% gratuity?

This is an interesting point. What if you do pay cash and decide you don't want to tip 18%? Even if it is 'added on' to the check already what's stopping me from paying less (or more) to reflect the actual tip I want to pay.

Is a Disney restaurant manager going to chase after me if I don't pay the full amount of what is presented to me? Legally I am only responsible for the amount of the food - are they going call the Orlando Police if refuse to pay the full 18%?

I guess I just hate the idea of being told what I 'have' to tip. Everyone who knows me knows I am very empathetic to the plight of the Disney Cast Member and their salary struggles. I in no way want to 'cheat' anyone out of a decent wage or tip - but the idea of making me pay a certain amount really rubs me the wrong way.

This is one of the things I hate about the Disney Cruise - how your gratuity is already added to all alcohol and soda purchases made at a bar. Even if you order soda through room service the gratuity is added.

It will interesting to see how this actually plays out.

John

No....the 18% will be added to the pre-tax total and then the DDE discount will be added.

So they add the gratuity to your total first, then discount?

Does that mean that they add 18%, then take 20%off, netting you a whopping 2% savings or am I missing something?:confused3

So they add the gratuity to your total first, then discount?

Does that mean that they add 18%, then take 20%off, netting you a whopping 2% savings or am I missing something?:confused3

.........Only thing I can see that might have been missed is the $65.00 you have to pay to get the card to begin with.

Here's the only senario I give two spits about. Wife and I go into the Rose & Crown Pub bar area, order two Boddington's, tab is $15.00, I present my DDE card. What's the actual financial damage to me?

Thanks,
Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter