15 % discount on future 2017 DCL cruise

hbg4

Ask me where I'm going on my next vacation ? Disne
DCL came through. We got $100 on board credit per person for our October 7th cruise on the Magic.
The ship only had 1000 passengers instead of the full capacity 2,600. So there were minimal lines and crowds. Dinner was combined into one seating at 7.30pm and the show also int one seating at 6.15pm. There were still empty seats available.
Now I get a $500 discount applied to my cruise I already have booked for next year.

"Thank you for your understanding about the change in your client's sailing itinerary due to Hurricane Matthew. We realize that their cruise was not the Bahamian and central Florida cruise vacation they had planned, and appreciate their commitment to sail with us on the revised itinerary.

As a gesture of our appreciation, Guests who sailed on the October 7 sailing from New York to ports in Canada are invited to sail with us again at a 15% discount on a future cruise taken prior to the end of 2017"

Huh, so then the only cruise affected by the hurricane that hasn't gotten some kind of compensation is the 10/3 Dream? How about the Fantasy that was extended by a day?

The people on the Fantasy got an extra day on the ship that they didn't have to pay for.

Although my family wasn't impacted by the extra day, other than having to shift our remaining time at Walt Disney World to account for the lost time, including staying our first night at Shades of Green (we were off property for the next 3 nights) since we were flying home on Wednesday, many other families were very put out by the one day delay since they missed plane flights home, often not being able to fly until Tuesday (we were supposed to be in port on Saturday morning). Also, people did get charged for missing hotel the hotel night on Saturday and/or for the additional nights in hotels until their new flights.
But for our family, we liked the additional night very much and we actually did not mind missing Castaway Cay, we are not big fans of the island.

Huh, so then the only cruise affected by the hurricane that hasn't gotten some kind of compensation is the 10/3 Dream? How about the Fantasy that was extended by a day?

No, those of us on the inaugural 8-night Western Caribbean cruise on Disney Fantasy did not get anything additional for our inability to get back into port until 24 hours later. A lot of families did miss flights out on that Saturday, often not being accommodated until Monday or Tuesday, resulting in additional hotel costs, as well as losing out on Saturday night hotel stays or Park visits (Disney or others). Guest Services onboard jumped through many hoops to assist people with free ship-to-shore calls, working with Disney properties, and DCL-booked plane flights, but not everyone had a good outcome. I know one person contacted a coworker to let their boss know that they would not be at work on Monday due to the delay, but they were reprimanded anyone due to missing work.

Does anyone know if something like this can be combined with an OBB? If not, I only intend to make once cruise next year, can I move the OBB for the 10% to a 2018 cruise and have this 15% applied to the 2017 cruise I have booked? I got this as well yesterday and I am trying to figure out how to use it. Thank you for any assistance.

Although my family wasn't impacted by the extra day, other than having to shift our remaining time at Walt Disney World to account for the lost time, including staying our first night at Shades of Green (we were off property for the next 3 nights) since we were flying home on Wednesday, many other families were very put out by the one day delay since they missed plane flights home, often not being able to fly until Tuesday (we were supposed to be in port on Saturday morning). Also, people did get charged for missing hotel the hotel night on Saturday and/or for the additional nights in hotels until their new flights.
But for our family, we liked the additional night very much and we actually did not mind missing Castaway Cay, we are not big fans of the island.
If we would have been on this ship it would have been a very costly extra night on the ship. I know a lot of people look at is being great you got an extra night on board for free, but everyone's life and work situation is different. I can see where the costs could really add up, and some company's have very strict attendance policies.

While the itineraries for the Fantasy and Dream cruises were also changed, the voyages were also lengthened and so guests received in effect a longer cruise than for what they had paid. Yes, there was very much uncertainty on when they would get back, and that made hotel and air arrangements tough, almost a gamble, and so costs could have racked up, particularly if you had chosen not to purchase travel insurance.

I know because we were on the 10/3 Dream. Over a 24 hours period while onboard (10/5-10/6), our multi-family party canceled hotel rooms we had booked months earlier for Friday 10/7, moved ground transport arrangements from 10/7 to 10/8 to 10/9 and then canceled once Disney offered it for free, moved air flights from 10/8 to 10/9, and booked and eventually canceled hotel rooms for 10/8 once Disney let us stay onboard, all using complimentary satellite phones onboard at Guest Services. Yes there were lines, but if you went off hours, it was doable. And yes, it did put a damper on our vacation by adding stress, and we did not have 100% confirmation that we would be even be back at PC on 10/8 until after noon on 10/8.

If we had been delayed another day, or moved to an alternate port, new air and hotel arrangements would again have been required. In the end, we were very fortunate and did not have any significant additional expense, and only our schedule was interrupted with a day in the parks eliminated, and our trip home a day late. However, even if we had additional expenses, while it would have been a major hassle with paperwork, we still had travel insurance.

Having written all that, if Disney feels like they want to offer a future cruise discount, I would gladly take it. :)

I just find it interesting that they would offer the Magic guests a discount at all I guess. How many times have I read on this board that no port is guaranteed, they could never leave the dock or just sail in circles, blah, blah, blah and we should be happy with that because we are on the cruise.

Yes, the Magic guests didn't receive the cruise they signed up for, but neither did the Dream or Fantasy guests who had their cruises extended. At least the Magic guests knew when they would leave and when they would return.

I was on the 10/3 Dream and of course we appreciated the "extra" days Disney gave us, but it's not like it was a gift and either the guests or Disney had a choice in the matter. And while we got "extra" cruise days it came at the expense of losing part of the rest of our vacation too. Not to mention the uncertainty, changed flights, hotels, car reservations, etc for all the guests onboard. We truly did not know from day to day what was happening and when we would get home and of course that's not a very relaxing way to spend a vacation. I guess I am just kind of surprised that they would extend this offer to the Magic guests, but not the Fantasy or Dream guests who were equally or more impacted by the hurricane than the Magic guests were. I assure you our family was equally saddened and disappointed to miss our day at Castaway Cay as the folks on the Magic were.

I just find it interesting that they would offer the Magic guests a discount at all I guess. How many times have I read on this board that no port is guaranteed, they could never leave the dock or just sail in circles, blah, blah, blah and we should be happy with that because we are on the cruise.

Yes, the Magic guests didn't receive the cruise they signed up for, but neither did the Dream or Fantasy guests who had their cruises extended. At least the Magic guests knew when they would leave and when they would return.

I was on the 10/3 Dream and of course we appreciated the "extra" days Disney gave us, but it's not like it was a gift and either the guests or Disney had a choice in the matter. And while we got "extra" cruise days it came at the expense of losing part of the rest of our vacation too. Not to mention the uncertainty, changed flights, hotels, car reservations, etc for all the guests onboard. We truly did not know from day to day what was happening and when we would get home and of course that's not a very relaxing way to spend a vacation. I guess I am just kind of surprised that they would extend this offer to the Magic guests, but not the Fantasy or Dream guests who were equally or more impacted by the hurricane than the Magic guests were. I assure you our family was equally saddened and disappointed to miss our day at Castaway Cay as the folks on the Magic were.
The Magic guests had the option to cancel and those that did not it was a thank you gesture for deciding to go on a cool weather itinerary rather than the warm weather one that was planned. It was not given as compensation for the different trip but rather a thank you for deciding to go anyway. I think that's the difference. Of course all motivated by $$.

There was another thread on this yesterday. I was on the 10/7 Magic and while we were not greatly impacted by the Hurricane it still was nerve wracking trying to figure out what itinerary it would be. I was completely packed and when we got the word I had to switch stuff around. No, it was not a great big deal but we knew we wanted to sail anyway. I was disappointing. I was very much looking forward to warm weather. We had a horrible wind/rain storm all day in Sydney, Canada so much that we had to stay in the cruise terminal as it was announced that it too dangerous to leave the building and head the few feet to the ship. It was crazy windy.

We did hear a rumor onboard that DCL may extend a percent off a future cruise and they were waiting to evaluate the guest comment cards to make a decision.

I very much appreciate DCL's thank you offer.

MJ

Nobody has commented here on the shortened Fantasy cruise that was supposed to leave 10/8 but left 10/9 and went Western instead of Eastern. We were only given $100 OBC per CABIN, not per person. And we were NOT given anything off of a future cruise. They did refund 1/7th of our fare but that was simply giving us back money for a service we didn't receive, not anything extra. Many of us on that sailing feel that we should also receive a discount on a future cruise since other disrupted cruises that week were given different compensation than we were.

Nobody has commented here on the shortened Fantasy cruise that was supposed to leave 10/8 but left 10/9 and went Western instead of Eastern. We were only given $100 OBC per CABIN, not per person. And we were NOT given anything off of a future cruise. They did refund 1/7th of our fare but that was simply giving us back money for a service we didn't receive, not anything extra. Many of us on that sailing feel that we should also receive a discount on a future cruise since other disrupted cruises that week were given different compensation than we were.
The reality is DCL (or any other cruise line) is not required to give anyone anything on changed, cancelled cruises. If they opt to do so, it's not up me, the cruiser, to decide what's proper for them to give.

I don't know how others feel about their cruise but I was on the rerouted 10/7 Magic cruise. Before DCL extended this "Thank You" offer, I thought that the people who opted to take the full refund had been treated better than the people who opted to cruise with Disney. Yes, ports are not guaranteed. However, we were on the Canada cruise immediately preceding this rescheduled one and the second one was a mess in comparison. I understand it was unusual circumstances and the crew on the ship was left without support from DCL headquarters because the offices in Celebration were closed (and that really showed in their poor offerings of excursions in the ports). But I still paid full price for a vacation and I don't think they delivered (and I was not among the group onboard that complained all week about the change in dining/show times!) So I appreciate the gesture of the discount although I doubt we'll be able to take advantage of it since our 2017 cruises are already booked with OBB discounts.

I don't know how others feel about their cruise but I was on the rerouted 10/7 Magic cruise. Before DCL extended this "Thank You" offer, I thought that the people who opted to take the full refund had been treated better than the people who opted to cruise with Disney. Yes, ports are not guaranteed. However, we were on the Canada cruise immediately preceding this rescheduled one and the second one was a mess in comparison. I understand it was unusual circumstances and the crew on the ship was left without support from DCL headquarters because the offices in Celebration were closed (and that really showed in their poor offerings of excursions in the ports). But I still paid full price for a vacation and I don't think they delivered (and I was not among the group onboard that complained all week about the change in dining/show times!) So I appreciate the gesture of the discount although I doubt we'll be able to take advantage of it since our 2017 cruises are already booked with OBB discounts.

Please call, they doubled up on the OBB and the 15%.

Please call, they doubled up on the OBB and the 15%.

Thanks for letting me know. I was going to call but haven't gotten the chance yet. I thought it was not likely they would do both but was going to ask anyway. Good to know they will.

I was on the 10/7 Magic to Canada and I didn't need this. I had an amazing time. The ship was empty that is all I needed. Had a fantastic day everyday.

The reality is DCL (or any other cruise line) is not required to give anyone anything on changed, cancelled cruises. If they opt to do so, it's not up me, the cruiser, to decide what's proper for them to give.
Think when some are given some, others expect it as well. An extra night is not always better.

I was on the 10/7 Magic to Canada and I didn't need this. I had an amazing time. The ship was empty that is all I needed. Had a fantastic day everyday.
I completely agree with you, we had an amazing time! The ship was empty and we could do anything and mostly we enjoyed the time talking to the crew throughout the ship as they actually had time to stop and talk. I heard people had complained and received additional stateroom credit. I got home and couldn't think of a single thing to complain about as we had an amazing family vacation together. One family told us they used this as a teaching moment for their children, sometimes in life things don't go as you planned, but you pick yourself up and keep going and have fun. We did exactly that! And because of that amazing time we are now going to go to Europe next summer on a cruise. Thank you DCL!

Very true.

The bad thing for cruiselines in these cases is the Internet and boards like this. People could be quite happy with how they were treated, get back, and read online about the compensation other ships' passengers got and suddenly what they were fine with isn't enough.

It's not just compensation either. I know this summer when I was on a Med cruise on RCCL, people on the same itinerary before us came back and reported that this year there was no charge for the shuttle into Ravenna on more than one place online. So we were all very surprised to discover that there WAS a $22 charge for the shuttle. RCCL's line was "The port changed their minds" or something. But the fact that others reported it was free and RCCL opted not to just pick up the bill for the rest of the summer left a bad taste in a lot of our mouths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter