• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

14days trip - additional activities for kids?

DianaMB333

DIS Veteran
DVC Platinum
Hi
Planning a 2 weeks trip next summer with two 5yr old kids... what additional activities would you recommend outside of the parks but still in the property?
Thanks!

Obviously days at the pool will be at the top of the list! Also, lots of resorts do nighttime movies with little campfires in the evenings. And then there’s often kids club areas at the deluxe resorts. Most resorts have arcades as well. Eat a meal and do the Build-a-Bear dinos at T Rex in Disney Springs. Monorail crawl sampling the various treats available at those resorts. Shopping and snacking at Disney Springs - especially at the Lego Store. Character meals at resort restaurants. Each lunch at Sanaa at AKL and check out the animals on the savannah.

Then there’s a lot of things that were operating before Covid, but I’m not sure if they still are. Definitely need to check on them. Things like pony rides and horseback riding at Fort Wilderness, bike rentals, and boat rentals could be options as well. Hot air balloon ride in Disney Springs. Chip and Dale campfire singalong at Fort Wilderness. Tea party and Bibbity Bobbity Boutique at Grand Floridian. Lots more that I’m forgetting for sure, but there really is so much to do for kids outside of the park, even with all the covid closures and cutbacks!

Mini golf
Rent a golf cart for a day at Ft. Wilderness and drive around, look at the ponies
Old Key west has Surrey bike rentals
Go see a movie in Disney Springs
Look for Hidden Mickeys at Wilderness Lodge

I don't know if these will ever be in operation again - but there are(were?) these little mini speedboats you used to be able to rent at the Contemporary marina that can be a blast for kids (they have to be the passenger with an adult).

Definitely think about your kid's preferences! My niece LOVES mini golf so that would be a huge winner for her. But I have a friend who's 5 yo boy would be happy as a lark for hours in an arcade, whereas that would be fun for a game or two for my niece - and then she'd be done with that.

I want to do the Chip N Dale Campfire Sing a Long sometime myself - and I'm an adult!

Just ordering pizza at the resort and hanging at the resort pool might be a winner for some kids. Lazy time at the pool was MY favorite activity on vacation as a kid. I could do that multiple days and be thrilled. But I hated character meals because "they lasted too long" through my kid eyes. (Humorously, I love character meals as an adult!)

For your own sanity, just a day at the pool is something my kids absolutely love. We have two pool days typically in a 7-9 day trip. My last trip was with my 6 4 and 1.5 yo and getting around property is a pain, at least for me. So staying at the resort and relaxing was great.

That's just my suggestions, but there are some great suggestions here too. I would pay attention to the news as Disney is doing some different things or there are rumors of different things coming that Disney plans on doing at the resorts.

If they start it back up again look into “ the pirates and pals voyage”. Out of the contemporary resort. It was a dessert party with Captain Hook and smee. Then we went on two boats out into bay lake and watched the magic kingdom fireworks from there.

even something as simple as let’s find the yummiest cupcake at the quick service restaurants at different resorts can be a fun adventure. Taking boats, buses, or skyliners to do so,

Amphicar tours at The Boathouse in Disney Springs. Also, great food there.

These are not currently available, but my kids loved the "Pirate Adventure Cruises". They did the one from GF twice and BC once. They are for kids only (ages 4-12). So, it is a nice break for parents. We always went on a breakfast date.

My son is still obsessed with Beaches & Cream (he's 19 now). It is his must-do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter