14 hr round trip for 1 day in Epcot - crazy?

cheryterese

DIS Veteran
Would you drive 14 hours round trip to spend one day at Epcot?

Here's the story: My husband had to take a last minute business trip to FL this morning through next Wednesday and I'm going to be joining him Thursday night through Monday morning. He will have the weekend free. We will be on the Gulf Coast, in the Panama City Beach area, about 7 hours from WDW. We were originally planning to just relax and explore the local area, but today my husband texted in transit and asked if I wanted to drive to Orlando when he gets out of work on Friday (we'd drive from 5pm - midnight), stay overnight near WDW, spend Saturday at Epcot (getting there at the 9am opening) and then drive back to our hotel in Panama City Beach around 6pm that evening, getting back around 1am. We can sleep in Sunday and have that day free to relax. Crazy? I can't believe I'm actually considering it! We love Epcot though, and when we were there last January with our kids we wished we had a day there as a couple. What do you think? Should we go or just relax on the Gulf Coast?

Also, is there something going on in WDW this weekend? All of the Value resorts were booked.

The Value resorts are probably all booked because of marathon weekend. Your trip sounds like a lot of fun! If you have the energy, I'd say go for it.

I probably wouldn't do it under normal circumstances, but your DH suggested it, there are two of you to drive, and you can sleep in on Sunday. So with those parameters ... why not? :)

The marathon won't make it any harder to find off-property lodging, so no worries there. It'll be harder to find a place to stay ON site, though. And you may have to deal with some traffic adventures due to marathon traffic.

:earsboy:

I probably wouldn't do it under normal circumstances, but your DH suggested it, there are two of you to drive, and you can sleep in on Sunday. So with those parameters ... why not? :)

The marathon won't make it any harder to find off-property lodging, so no worries there. It'll be harder to find a place to stay ON site, though. And you may have to deal with some traffic adventures due to marathon traffic.

:earsboy:

My DH does not suggest or ask for much, so the fact that he came up with this idea says a lot to me. Also, we are from Western New York, so getting to WDW is no easy feat or common occurrence, and getting there without kids is even less so.

Saying I do go along with this crazy plan, can anyone suggest a cheap but decent offsite hotel near Epcot?

Would you drive 14 hours round trip to spend one day at Epcot?

Here's the story: My husband had to take a last minute business trip to FL this morning through next Wednesday and I'm going to be joining him Thursday night through Monday morning. He will have the weekend free. We will be on the Gulf Coast, in the Panama City Beach area, about 7 hours from WDW. We were originally planning to just relax and explore the local area, but today my husband texted in transit and asked if I wanted to drive to Orlando when he gets out of work on Friday (we'd drive from 5pm - midnight), stay overnight near WDW, spend Saturday at Epcot (getting there at the 9am opening) and then drive back to our hotel in Panama City Beach around 6pm that evening, getting back around 1am. We can sleep in Sunday and have that day free to relax. Crazy? I can't believe I'm actually considering it! We love Epcot though, and when we were there last January with our kids we wished we had a day there as a couple. What do you think? Should we go or just relax on the Gulf Coast?

Also, is there something going on in WDW this weekend? All of the Value resorts were booked.

There is a marathon in WDW this weekend so you might do better finding an offsite or DTD hotel.

Having said that we are just a little west of Panama City and DH & I drove down with two friends for one day because it was "The Last Tour to Endor" this past August. We left at 5am the morning of the event, drove to WDW (closer to 6.5 hrs so it should only take you around 5.5 - 6 hrs. from Panama City), stayed up until close to 3am, got some sleep and got home around 6pm the next day. We were exhausted the next day, and a few days later, but we had a blast! We had never been without the kids before and even though it was incredibly hot and I was super tired for days I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I say go and have fun!!!

As far as lodging... check into the Swan/Dolphin for any discounts (I believe if you book through the Dreams Unlimited site that you get what is equivalent to a FL resident rate), check the DTD resorts and there are some nice places on Palm Pkwy which is really close to DTD.

Make sure you find room availability before you decide to do it. Everything is pretty packed at Disney especially on Friday night.

We are arriving on Saturday and they are calling for bad weather from our departing airport. I tried checking to see if we could secure a value for Thursday and/or Friday night in case we were given the opportunity of flying out early but I couldn't find ANYTHING available on Friday at the values at all.

Of course you can probably find rooms off-site.

I routinely find decent fares to fly out to the West coast from DC for a day trip.... I say go for it!

There is a marathon in WDW this weekend so you might do better finding an offsite or DTD hotel.

Having said that we are just a little west of Panama City and DH & I drove down with two friends for one day because it was "The Last Tour to Endor" this past August. We left at 5am the morning of the event, drove to WDW (closer to 6.5 hrs so it should only take you around 5.5 - 6 hrs. from Panama City), stayed up until close to 3am, got some sleep and got home around 6pm the next day. We were exhausted the next day, and a few days later, but we had a blast! We had never been without the kids before and even though it was incredibly hot and I was super tired for days I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I say go and have fun!!!

As far as lodging... check into the Swan/Dolphin for any discounts (I believe if you book through the Dreams Unlimited site that you get what is equivalent to a FL resident rate), check the DTD resorts and there are some nice places on Palm Pkwy which is really close to DTD.

We'll actually be staying west of Panama City Beach - on Santa Rosa Blvd. in Ft Walton. Any suggestions for something to do/places to eat while there? DH is working at Eglin AFB.

I can't believe I'm actually considering the drive to Epcot, but I am!

We'll actually be staying west of Panama City Beach - on Santa Rosa Blvd. in Ft Walton. Any suggestions for something to do/places to eat while there? DH is working at Eglin AFB.

Hey I am local in that area and its more of a 5.5 6 hour drive for us. We do it quite often. We have AP's and sometimes we will grab DD8 as soon as school gets out and head off on Friday. leaving around noon on Sunday. Trip is very doable.

As far as local cuisine we have some great seafood places (or at least they tell me we do, I am allergic HA). Let me know what you are interested in and I would be happy to recommend some places.

kelli

Small world. He isn't by chance going through a special ops computer class right now is he? My Dh works on Eglin, Duke, & Hurlburt so I can ask him about some places to eat. :) I do know that The Wild Olive (google it) is a wonderful and quaint Italian restaurant. Helen Back has good pizza, Buffalo Wild Wings is a good sports bar/restaurant, Hideaway Pizza is another great little mom-pop type pizza place. Things to do... this is the off season so the beach isn't that great right now. There are some outlet malls in Sandestin not too far from Eglin. Baytowne Wharf is a great place to go for an adult evening out and family shopping fun during the day. If you want to see a pretty nice Naval Aviaiton museum drive to Pensacola NAS (about an hour west of you). From Ft. Walton it should only take about 6.5 hrs. to get to WDW. We do it quite often so I could also probably tell you which reststops are the best. If you want you could even stay in Lake City which is about an hour north of WDW. The Holiday Inn there is really nice but avoid the Best Western there.

Hey I am local in that area and its more of a 5.5 6 hour drive for us. We do it quite often. We have AP's and sometimes we will grab DD8 as soon as school gets out and head off on Friday. leaving around noon on Sunday. Trip is very doable.

As far as local cuisine we have some great seafood places (or at least they tell me we do, I am allergic HA). Let me know what you are interested in and I would be happy to recommend some places.

kelli

Great! DH loves seafood. I'm actually a vegetarian, but I find I can pretty much get a decent pasta dish anywhere. Any beaches in the area that would be particularly nice to walk? I realize it's not swimming season, but we'd still like to enjoy a stroll along the beach. I'll have Friday to myself while DH is working, so maybe a nearby shopping center?

Small world. He isn't by chance going through a special ops computer class right now is he? My Dh works on Eglin, Duke, & Hurlburt so I can ask him about some places to eat. :) I do know that The Wild Olive (google it) is a wonderful and quaint Italian restaurant. Helen Back has good pizza, Buffalo Wild Wings is a good sports bar/restaurant, Hideaway Pizza is another great little mom-pop type pizza place. Things to do... this is the off season so the beach isn't that great right now. There are some outlet malls in Sandestin not too far from Eglin. Baytowne Wharf is a great place to go for an adult evening out and family shopping fun during the day. If you want to see a pretty nice Naval Aviaiton museum drive to Pensacola NAS (about an hour west of you). From Ft. Walton it should only take about 6.5 hrs. to get to WDW. We do it quite often so I could also probably tell you which reststops are the best. If you want you could even stay in Lake City which is about an hour north of WDW. The Holiday Inn there is really nice but avoid the Best Western there.

I know! And no, he's installing a Northrup Grumman defense system. He works at the branch near Buffalo (NY). He was there last March and just loved the area, of course it was swimming weather then! I'm thinking if we do end up driving to Epcot, I'll have Friday during the day to entertain myself before he's done working and then we'll have Sunday afternoon and evening together. I'll keep those places you mentioned in mind - thanks! Feel free to offer any other suggestions if you find them. (I did find a room at the Comfort Suites less than 10 minutes from Disney if we decide to go. I just checked our Visa rewards balance and we have just enough to pay for the park tickets - makes it even more appealing!)

Great! DH loves seafood. I'm actually a vegetarian, but I find I can pretty much get a decent pasta dish anywhere. Any beaches in the area that would be particularly nice to walk? I realize it's not swimming season, but we'd still like to enjoy a stroll along the beach. I'll have Friday to myself while DH is working, so maybe a nearby shopping center?

If shopping is your thing then you are in luck! We just happen to home of the nations largest designer outlet mall http://www.silversandsoutlet.com/index.aspx. Believe me you will find anything you need right there. I know I do! And boy is my husband unhappy about that. :rotfl2:

As far as a great place to eat there are several small places that are great local places, but in Baytown at Sandestin my favorite place to eat is Graffiti's. It is fabulous. My other favorite place is Vintij'. Absolutely fabulous both. if you want to get off the beaten path, on 30A you can go down to Grayton and eat at The red Bar! Yummo! If you are interested in something specific let me know. I am positive I can help you out (it's kins my job...LOL)

kelli

No. That would just be a waste of time and money for me and leave me feeling upset that I didn't have more time to spend there. But to each thier own, sound like you really want to do it.

The Back Porch (in Destin) has great seafood and atmosphere. Ask for a window facing the beach. My parents are in Destin right now. She just texted me a pic of a yummy looking sandwich (either amberjack or grouper...) from the Back Porch. So mean!

Hogsbreath Saloon. I believe it is Ft. Walton.

I will shoot her text and ask for more. We normally stay in Rosemary, closer to Panama City, so I can't remember the ones on that side...

Have you checked into flying from Panama City to Orlando? Extra time in Disney.... Probably couldn't get any good fares at this late of a date, but you might check.

I say Go For It!!! :cool1: I think that the drive won't seem as long as it sounds just be sure to take 75s and then the Sunshine parkway to the back enterance.

Have a Magical Time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter