14 Glorious Hours at Disneyland:A WDW Vet Gets 1 Day at Walt's Park UPDATE x5 (12/15)

heathsf

DIS Veteran
*~* To all who come to this happy place, Welcome! *~*

How many Disneyland TRs do you think have been started that way? :lmao:

Anyway, welcome to my third TR, but my first one for Disneyland! Why is this my first TR for Disneyland you ask? Well, because it's my first TRIP to Disneyland! That is, if you can really call it a trip to Disneyland...

You see, it's really a trip to California for my best friend's wedding. She is getting married at the Sheraton Universal City, which is basically in Universal Studio's parking lot. My fiance and I figured we would spend one day at Universal since it was right there. This plan lasted all of 3 and one half seconds, because I was determined that if I was going to any theme park in Caliornia, it was going to be Disneyland!

I am a Disney nut, or "Disney Crazy" as my DF always tells me with an accompanying eye roll. I love Disney World. More than I like to admit in my day-to-day life outside of the Disboards. I am always trying to plan another trip to the World, however lately that's been difficult to do. With an expensive wedding coming up in July, we really just don't have the money for it right now. I'm hopeful that sometime in 2014 we'll be able to make it work, because I haven't been to WDW since August 2011 and I'm suffering from a serious case of withdrawal. That August trip was my 9th to WDW. So I suppose this day in March makes trip #10!!! That's special! It's the tin anniversary! (does anyone here watch New Girl? :rotfl:)

I feel very strongly that my fiance is crazy, because he is not Disney obsessed like I am. I thought for sure that he would be after his first trip ever, which was the August '11 trip. We really had an amazing time, but as much as he enjoyed himself, he never crossed the line into Disney obsession. :sad2:

So anyway, here we are with this trip to California. DF would have been satisfied with a day at Universal but because he knows how much it means to me, we will be renting a car and driving to Disneyland instead! :cool1:

So with only one day to spend in Disneyland, you may be wondering why I am going all out and writing a full TR like this was a week-long trip (oh sigh...how I wish...)

When we decided to do this almost a year ago, I spent a lot of time looking for TRs where people only had one day to spend at DL and I found very little that was helpful. Maybe I just need to improve my internet searching skills, I don't know. But I decided I would write this TR in case it will help anyone in a similar situation. Or perhaps someone will be interested in reading about a first time trip to DL from the perspective of someone who has been to WDW several times.

So, I hope you'll join me. We leave on March 20, two weeks from today. I will be taking tons of pictures, documenting everything, and sharing any and all information I can that will be helpful to anyone else.

Chapter Links
Our Disneyland Must-Do's
Chapter 1 - Our Adventure Begins
Chapter 2 - We're Going to Disneyland Today!
Chapter 3 - Five Hundred Hours on the DisBoards Pays Off
Chapter 4 - Waiting for Rope Drop
Chapter 5 - A Tale of Two Mountains
Chapter 6 - From Outer Space to Under the Sea and Back Again
Chapter 7 - First Dole Whip EVER!
Chapter 8 - Dead Men Tell No Tales (But Maybe They Write TRs)
Chapter 9 - 999 Happy Haunts\
Chapter 10 - It's a Small World with a Big Wait (But Not Really)
Chapter 11 - Pretty Good, Sure As You're Born
Chapter 12 - A Patriotic Update
Chapter 13 - I Go Solo
Chapter 14 - Reunited!
Chapter 15 - The End

I think it sounds wonderful! But if you can swing it (especially since you're on EST), I would recommend being in line earlier than 8:30. But I'm a little crazy that way. ;-) I'm not sure about MM's, but often the gates open early onto Main Street, and it's so nice to be there when that happens...

Yes I'm here!

Ugh, and I feel so out of the loop for not getting the New Girl quote..:sad1: Sorry.

.....also, i'm probably a sad excuse for a girl but....

i've never seen My Best Friend's Wedding....:scared: I'm an awful woman right?! :lmao:

I think it sounds wonderful! But if you can swing it (especially since you're on EST), I would recommend being in line earlier than 8:30. But I'm a little crazy that way. ;-) I'm not sure about MM's, but often the gates open early onto Main Street, and it's so nice to be there when that happens...

Well, I'm a little crazy like that too. I have this recurring dream [nightmare] that I'm at Disney World and no one else will get ready on time so we miss rope drop. It is SO stressful! (And this is why DF says I'm crazy :confused3) As long as we don't stay out until crazy hours the night before, we should be able to get there earlier. What time would you suggest? I'm usually an early riser anyway, and with the 3 hour time difference in our favor, we should be ok.

Welcome to my park! :-)

Thanks! I'd love any tips/advice you have to offer. Have you been to WDW too?

Yes I'm here!

Ugh, and I feel so out of the loop for not getting the New Girl quote..:sad1: Sorry.

.....also, i'm probably a sad excuse for a girl but....

i've never seen My Best Friend's Wedding....:scared: I'm an awful woman right?! :lmao:

I'm glad you're here! And no you're not an awful woman! Do you have Netflix? It's available to stream. Although I think you can still lead a pretty fulfilling life without having seen it :lmao:

I noticed that you just got back from a trip! I'm heading over to your TR now :goodvibes

I can't believe I'll be in Disneyland in 5 days!!! :cool1:

Our plans have changed a little bit since I posted last week. We decided not to rent a car because it is too expensive for what we would use it for and too inconvenient to return it to a non-airport location. So instead we will be taking the Disneyland Express from LAX to Anaheim. I am a little nervous about our flight being late and missing the last bus which is at 10:30 pm. Our backup plan would then be to try to get a ride from Super Shuttle. But I really want to be on a bus that plays Disney movies! :wizard: On Friday we will attempt to use public transportation to get get to the Sheraton Universal. We will take either Amtrak or Metrolink to L.A. Union Station and then the Red Line right to the hotel which is the Universal City stop. The Metrolink is cheaper but there are no trains between 9:10 am and 4:41 pm that go to Union Station.

If anyone is reading this, please correct me if any of this information was wrong! Also, if anyone has tips/advice about taking luggage on either of these trains or the light rail, let me know! I hope we won't run into a problem with that. I'm not sure what size suitcases we're going to have yet. I am a last minute packer.

Our other plan change is that I told Bobby we need to get to the turnstiles a little earlier than we originally planned, thanks Jaina for the advice!

I am so so so so so excited to be in a Disney Park in just a few days!!! :banana: It's getting to be close to two years since my last WDW trip and it has been torture! I spent a significant amount of time every day daydreaming about being in the park and seeing the Disney sights and especially smelling the Disney smells! Oh, and tasting Disney food of course! ;) I am determined to have my first Dole Whip!

So speaking of that, here are a list of our must-do's:

1. Space Mountain - Bobby loved it in WDW and I hear it's even better at DL so we both can't wait for this. We're going to start our day in Tomorrowland with a ride, or FP, or maybe both! I really wish FP enforcement hadn't started until after our trip...oh well...

2. Indiana Jones - I am really excited for this! Am I remembering right that there is a single rider line for it?

3. Pirates - It is one of my favorite smells at WDW and again I hear it's so much better at DL

4. Haunted Mansion - One of my favorite rides of all time. Who doesn't love grim grinning ghosts?

5. Matterhorn - Should we ride it twice - once on each side? I think I remember reading that it's a different track. Is it worth it?

6. Finding Nemo - Something unique to Disneyland and it seems pretty cool. Not sure I want to wait on a crazy line for it though so we'll see.

7. It's a Small World - Bobby didn't enjoy this at WDW but I love it. And he is intrigued by the addition of the Disney characters in the DL version.

8. Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - as many of the dark rides unique to DL as we can fit in without long waits.

9. Roger Rabbit - One of my favorite movies of all time!!!

10. Enchanted Tiki Room - An original! How could we miss it!?

11. Billy Hill - I've read such good things about it

12. Dapper Dans - Bobby wants to see the Dapper Dans and ask them to sing the theme song from "Tale Spin" :rotfl2: I wonder if it's part of their repertoire.

I'm going to stop the list here since these are the most important things to us (me). Of course there is much more I want to do (like multiple rides on some of the rides on the list, Splash Mountain is a favorite at WDW but that will depend on the weather, the Disneyland Railroad, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Star Tours, Storybook Canal...Okay I'll stop because there's plenty more) but these are our priorities. I really hope we'll be able to hit them all plus more! I want to take advantage of every magical second but I also don't want to be a total crazy commando. I need to find a good balance so that we can get the most out of our one day and really enjoy it. I am so excited for our one magical day! :goodvibes

Tips, touring plans, advice, thoughts, and feedback would be greatly appreciated!!! :thumbsup2

Sounds like a pretty fun list! Honestly, I wouldn't worry about doing both sides of Matterhorn (and I love Matterhorn), simply because there isn't a big enough difference and its time you could spend elsewhere. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!:thumbsup2

Sounds like a pretty fun list! Honestly, I wouldn't worry about doing both sides of Matterhorn (and I love Matterhorn), simply because there isn't a big enough difference and its time you could spend elsewhere. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!:thumbsup2

I totally agree. I've done both sides and there really isn't a major difference. I would use that time to get on a different ride :thumbsup2

For Indy - yes I think to use the SR you have to get a pass from one of the CM's at the front and then take the exit. :thumbsup2 You're going to love this ride and I can't wait to see how you like it!

Pirates - the smell is so much more noticeable here at DL, so you'll love this:cool1:

Nemo - I would just try to ride it for the nostalgia feel of the submarines. It is a little tight in there no, so hope you're not claustrophobic :crowded:

FL - Yes to all rides here! :dance3:

Roger Rabbit - the first time I rode this, I needed to ride it twice because it's a spinning ride (well you have the option to spin or not, but how can you not spin!) so when we spun the first time, I didn't even get to see my surroundings. The ride is totally fun. The queue is very cool too!

I am seriously so excited for you and so looking forward to hearing about your trip!

DisneytheKid said:

Thanks for the tip :)

Leshaface said:
I totally agree. I've done both sides and there really isn't a major difference. I would use that time to get on a different ride :thumbsup2

For Indy - yes I think to use the SR you have to get a pass from one of the CM's at the front and then take the exit. :thumbsup2 You're going to love this ride and I can't wait to see how you like it!

Pirates - the smell is so much more noticeable here at DL, so you'll love this:cool1:

Nemo - I would just try to ride it for the nostalgia feel of the submarines. It is a little tight in there no, so hope you're not claustrophobic :crowded:

FL - Yes to all rides here! :dance3:

Roger Rabbit - the first time I rode this, I needed to ride it twice because it's a spinning ride (well you have the option to spin or not, but how can you not spin!) so when we spun the first time, I didn't even get to see my surroundings. The ride is totally fun. The queue is very cool too!

I am seriously so excited for you and so looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Woohoo all your comments got me so excited! I am really not a fan of tight spaces... Should I consider passing on Nemo? I can handle Mission Space at Epcot but not too comfortably. Is Nemo worth it?

Greetings from Los Angeles! Our flight was delayed but we are finally here... sitting in tons of traffic on our way to Disneyland. I heard LA traffic was bad but it's 11:22pm! Go to sleep people it's a Wednesday night!

I forgot to mention I will be posting on twitter tomorrow while in the park @heathsf

That's all for now! I can't wait to get to sleep so I can wake up bright and early tomorrow for Disney Day!!!

Agh! I missed your tweets! :furious: I'm so mad at myself for not getting on the DIS yesterday.

I hope you had the most AMAZING time yesterday and I can't wait to hear about how it went!

Hmm, that's strange that there was traffic that late. Perhaps an accident.

Thanks to everyone who wished us a fun day in the park! We really had a great time and I have a ton of pictures and took a ton of notes so I could share all the details here. We just arrived home this morning at 6:15 am after a red-eye flight. This was not in our original plans, but I unfortunately received some devastating news on Saturday morning that caused us to change our flight. My principal called me to tell me that one of my sweet, beautiful 7th grade students passed away from a stroke. He was born with a heart defect but this certainly was unexpected and I am completely heart broken. Today was a struggle for me, my coworkers, and my students, and I am hoping that it will get a little easier each day. I will post an update about our trip soon, perhaps this weekend, but please forgive me if it's longer than that.

Thanks to everyone who wished us a fun day in the park! We really had a great time and I have a ton of pictures and took a ton of notes so I could share all the details here. We just arrived home this morning at 6:15 am after a red-eye flight. This was not in our original plans, but I unfortunately received some devastating news on Saturday morning that caused us to change our flight. My principal called me to tell me that one of my sweet, beautiful 7th grade students passed away from a stroke. He was born with a heart defect but this certainly was unexpected and I am completely heart broken. Today was a struggle for me, my coworkers, and my students, and I am hoping that it will get a little easier each day. I will post an update about our trip soon, perhaps this weekend, but please forgive me if it's longer than that.

Oh no!:sad1: I'm so sorry. That must be so hard for all involved. I know my DH would be devastated if one of his students passed away. Take your time and hopefully you'll be back soon. I'll be praying and thinking of you:flower3:

I am so sorry to hear this! :( I lost a dear friend from my graduating class to a similar situation, very unexpectedly, and it shook all of us badly!
And I am also sorry that I didn't see your questions before. I think we were all dealing with stomach flu or something at the time, and I missed the update! I look forward to hearing how your trip went, when you need a distraction or feel up to getting back to it! (I will try to watch more carefully this time!)

I'm so sorry for the loss of your student. Hugs! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter