• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

13 Year old gir declared brain dead has now officially died

Where's the father? I've often read about the mother, but I don't remember reading about the father.. Is he around?

I have seen no evidence of a father. So he either isn't around or is choosing to stay out of the circus this has become.

Odds are he has never been around. But once the settlement pays I'm sure he'll come out of the wood work.

I saw several pictures in the press of the family and the dad was in them. Well, the caption read Jahi and her parents so I assume that is her dad.

I saw several pictures in the press of the family and the dad was in them. Well, the caption read Jahi and her parents so I assume that is her dad.

I've seen those too but I'm unclear if that's her father.

I've seen two recent pictures of her at her mother's wedding, standing next to her grandmother and a girl that I understood to be her sister. Maybe she has a stepfather but not sure who the man is in pictures labeled as her parents, father or stepfather.

I've seen those too but I'm unclear if that's her father.

I've seen two recent pictures of her at her mother's wedding, standing next to her grandmother and a girl that I understood to be her sister. Maybe she has a stepfather but not sure who the man is in pictures labeled as her parents, father or stepfather.

Okay, I found the info and that is her step father in the photos. Her biological dad is Milton McMath. I don't know if he is involved.

I find it strange that there has been no dog and pony show from either the Uncle or Lawyer today......

Maybe they were both busy out there gettin' them dollars up :rolleyes:

I've been waiting to see she passed all day, still no announcement as of yet? I feel awful, but really just want this poor girl to rest in peace and I don't think she can as long as this drags out.

I've been waiting to see she passed all day, still no announcement as of yet? I feel awful, but really just want this poor girl to rest in peace and I don't think she can as long as this drags out.

If they did manage to find a professional facility to tend to the body, then it might be possible to keep the body going for weeks with lots of work. Still - CHO is one of the best in the area, and they probably did a minor miracle for that time they kept the body going.

If I were a medical professional, I'd be extremely wary of doing this. I doubt anyone offering their services would want to be found out by the state licensing boards. CHO was bound to the terms of a temporary restraining order, so they have a valid reason for doing what they did.

If they did manage to find a professional facility to tend to the body, then it might be possible to keep the body going for weeks with lots of work. Still - CHO is one of the best in the area, and they probably did a minor miracle for that time they kept the body going.

If I were a medical professional, I'd be extremely wary of doing this. I doubt anyone offering their services would want to be found out by the state licensing boards. CHO was bound to the terms of a temporary restraining order, so they have a valid reason for doing what they did.

I for one would not want myself, or a loved one, to end up at that facility. I'm surprised any place took her because I would think people would question their ethics.

They're already on the hook for all the care of the body since she died up to the point where the body was released to the Alameda County Coroner, as well as all the legal bills. I doubt any insurance would have paid for all this, and Medi-Cal certainly wouldn't have.

Children's Hospital Oakland actually loses money every year, and all these bills make that bottom line worse. Most of their patients are either indigent or on Medi-Cal. They've had issues after Stanford's Lucille Packard Children's Hospital set up a clinic in Emeryville, claiming that it would siphon off paying or well-insured patients who might not want to take their kids to CHO because of their patient base. I've been at various hospitals where I sensed being around poorer patients, including CHO. If you've ever spent time around a hospital (especially an emergency room) it's pretty easy to see people who are uncouth, using poor grammar, and act belligerent with the hospital staff. While it is a different experience, there are some who might seek another option because it can be unpleasant. We took our kid to CHO once, and while we were well-insured, they have a policy that they don't turn away anyone.

I am sure that CHO provided good care. However, since she died, I am sure the parents are going to sue to hospital and this is the money they will use to pay whatever facility she is transferred to.

Honestly, I think they aren't releasing the name of the body's current location b/c anonymity was part of the arrangement the family made with this place to take her.

Honestly, I think they aren't releasing the name of the body's current location b/c anonymity was part of the arrangement the family made with this place to take her.

Sadly, I think there was more thought and research done on the statutes of the state she was moved to than any facility itself. I think they very carefully picked what state she was moved to in an effort to favor the outcome of an inevitable lawsuit based on how that state's laws are written.

:sad2:

Sort of an odd and creepy question, but&.
Would she be able to blink in the state she's been in (read "DEAD") or would her eyes have automatically closed at some point?

Sadly, I think there was more thought and research done on the statutes of the state she was moved to than any facility itself. I think they very carefully picked what state she was moved to in an effort to favor the outcome of an inevitable lawsuit based on how that state's laws are written.

:sad2:

It won't matter. Jurisdiction, in this case, would be determined by the location where the injury occurred and where BOTH parties were resident when the injury arose(clearly California). They are not going to be successful forum shopping this to another jurisdiction. Children's actions, which are at issue here, were entirely within the state of California and California law will control on whether there was any negligence by them.

Sort of an odd and creepy question, but&.
Would she be able to blink in the state she's been in (read "DEAD") or would her eyes have automatically closed at some point?

I don't believe that blinking occurs once the patient is brain dead. In fact, almost all reflexes cease. I think the only reflex that occurs after brain death with brain stem death is the Lazurus reflex. (You can google this to see a video of this but it may be disturbing to see.) This would account for any movement the family might see.

Edited to add: After further reading it seems that there may be some spinal reflexes also. I did find this: "Although the patient has a dead brain and dead brain stem, there may be spinal cord reflexes that can be elicited (a knee jerk, for example). In some brain dead patients, when the hand or foot is touched in a particular manner, the touch will elicit a short reflex movement."

She will not blink, and I do not believe she produces tears in the proper amount with the lack of this reflex. In some of the medical documentation submitted to the court, there are notes that she has been receiving artificial tears to counteract this.

I am sure that CHO provided good care. However, since she died, I am sure the parents are going to sue to hospital and this is the money they will use to pay whatever facility she is transferred to.

I don't think it will work that way. I've noted that whatever costs that CHO has borne will either be covered by the family's insurer or directly by CHO through whatever indigent care funds they have. The hospital may deal with their insurer, but I doubt they bother to bill the family for any uncovered costs.

They had a settlement with CHO, and that included that her body had to be first transferred to the custody of the coroner. It also said that the family was solely responsible for Jahi McMath as soon as the body was transferred to them.

https://twitter.com/mgafni/status/419236734476378112/photo/1/large

BdFtlrICQAEvHPx.jpg

Petitioner must agree that she shall be wholly and exclusively responsible for Jahi McMath the moment custody is transferred in the Hospital's pediatric intensive care unit and acknowledge that she understands that the transfer and subsequent transport could impact the condition of the body, including causing cardiac arrest.

That would seem to state that the hospital can't be sued for the cost of maintaining the body after the transfer. There's also a death certificate that states that the doctor's called it on Dec 12. It's really all on the family if they feel they need to keep a legally and physically deal body pumping with a respirator. I really don't believe money was the issue. I think the family believes that their faith is strong and that they're due a miracle because they feel that their faith is strong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter