• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

13-year old body slammed over flap about the national anthem

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
There seem to be differences in witness accounts, but the key seems to be that the kid didn't take his cap off during the national anthem at a rodeo. Some witnesses said nothing happened while others claim he said something back. However, there doesn't appear to be any question that he picked up the kid and slammed his head to the ground. He suffered a concussion, blood started coming out of his ears (wouldn't stop for 6 hours), and it looks like it's likely a fractured skull.

https://missoulian.com/news/state-a...cle_1f731fbf-fd38-5c7f-8701-807909d8d137.html
https://www.apnews.com/1407faa6991940f6a24ef260c410e038
Now I guess that one can have different opinions on the propriety of keeping a cap on or talking back. I personally don't think enough to try to "correct" anyone over something as minor as this, but certainly throwing someone to the ground would seem like it's out of proportion to the act. And to boot the suspect is currently on probation for a violent crime.

WTH. Someone needs anger management, what a lunatic. Guess he shouldn't have gotten probation. Lucky that the boy wasn't killed. My DH takes his cap off for the anthem but I don't honestly think we would even take notice if others around us didn't, let alone feel the desire to nearly kill someone over it. This guy shouldn't be out amongst the general public.

I notice men who don’t remove their baseball caps in church but I would never confront them . I tend to think they’re either absent minded or ignorant of the custom ( men removing their hats in church ) rather than being deliberately disrespectful.
I was at a baseball game once when it was the national anthem coming up. I remove a cap out of custom, but I don't go crazy because someone else chooses not to. I've also worked with people from Europe who find the custom of the national anthem before sporting events bizarre. However, this one time I politely asking why the guy at the concession stand wasn't taking his cap off, and he just replied that he couldn't remove his head cover when serving food.

My cousin had cancer on the tissue under his scalp when he was college aged. He didn't take off his cap because of the mess that was his head until the repairs were made and healed.

He had to give a speech in college and the professor (who knew what he was going through) told him he had to remove his cap. He refused and the prof insisted. My cousin walked out of the class and reported the professor to the dean.

Not everyone can remove his/her cap without becoming a talking point. I'd never question someone for not doing so since I heard about my cousin's issues. You don't know if that person has other issues... and frankly it isn't our business.

In this case, the guy is disturbed and will hopefully serve time. He will likely come out angrier and more violent but such is our criminal justice system. One can hope that he’ll seek some type of treatment or medication for his obvious issues.

As far as the kid not removing his cap, We are a country that values personal freedoms. Many forget that personal freedom is a two way street. You are free to remove your cap or not, to stand or not, etc...

Just make your own decisions and worry about yourself.

BTW...we’re standers and cap removers but I would never presume to tell anyone what they should do.

My policy is not to confront strangers. Earlier this week 2 men got in to an altercation in the customer service line at a nearby Walmart. One had a pair of scissors, the other had a handgun. Customers started fleeing and someone was hurt in the melee. Man with handgun had a concealed carry permit, the man with the scissors fled. You never know what someone has in their pocket.

I was at a baseball game once when it was the national anthem coming up. I remove a cap out of custom, but I don't go crazy because someone else chooses not to. I've also worked with people from Europe who find the custom of the national anthem before sporting events bizarre. However, this one time I politely asking why the guy at the concession stand wasn't taking his cap off, and he just replied that he couldn't remove his head cover when serving food.
This issue is less about patriotism than it is about rage-filled lunatics and random violence. It’s shocking, really. :sad2:

As for the anthem, well, when we’re in the States and it plays we stand politely but don’t sing or cover our hearts or anything. It’s not our anthem. My DH would probably remove his hat, but maybe not and if he didn’t it wouldn’t be because he meant any disrespect.

I don't get policing someone else's patriotism.

Should men take their hat over during the National Anthem? Yes, probably.

However, if someone chooses not to for whatever reason, that is on them.

The guy is over the top and obviously has other issues. I hope he gets what he deserves, like someone body slamming him!

What floors me is that this guy is on ten years probation for assault and they let him out on OR after this. This should be a “Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200” situation.

I don’t care if the kid was the most disrespectful little snot on the planet, doing the hokey pokey and thumbing his nose at the flag while whistling Dixie. Minor or not, hands off. Unless you’re defending yourself assault is not okay.

As far as patriotism, you do you and I’ll do me. We’re afforded certain rights in this country and are free to express them or not however we see fit.

Last edited:
I don't get why people get so riled up over the flag and the anthem in the first place.

Lots of military men in my family, husband, 2 fathers in law, 3 nephews, 4 brothers in law, my father, all serve or have served.

Our flag is flying outside our home and I have 2 garden flags that represent the USA and I have a door hanger for USA during the summer. Summer is just red, white and blue time to me because it starts with Memorial Day, then Flag Day, then 4th of July. Then it's too hot for fall or football outdoor decor, so it's there until September.

However, not standing for the anthem or accidentally letting the cloth that has the flag printed on it hit the ground for a few seconds, not even a blip on our radar.

What's more important to us is how we treat and that we respect all people of all kinds.

Last edited:
This guy appointed himself Dirty Harry of the Flag Code.

Hey kid. I know what you're thinkin. Should I take my hat off or leave it on. Well to tell you the truth in all this I forgot myself. Well there comes a time in everyone's life that he has to ask himself one question. Do I feel lucky. Well do you punk? ^#@$#%%@#@ WHAM!!!!!!

Witnesses to the incident are inconsistent with the man's claim, however. But assuming the way the guy said it went down is correct, so what if the kid didn't remove his hat? The flag code is optional. It's a suggestion.

I hope they not only tag him for this but the one that was suspended as well. Cuff him and stuff him. There's no call for that kind of garbage.

I saw this a few days ago. Is there an update on the kid's condition?
Yes. The kid is back home and doing ok. He has a temporal skull fracture which will take quite a while to heal.

Interesting defense. His attorney is using the defense that he was just following the commander-in-chief's rhetoric surrounding the national anthem.

“Obviously he (Brockway) owes a big portion of accountability for what took place, but it’s certain that there was other things at work here that definitely contributed,” he told The Missoulian. “Trump never necessarily says go hurt somebody, but the message is absolutely clear. I am certain of the fact that (Brockway) was doing what he believed he was told to do, essentially, by the president.”

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/curt-james-brockway/
(I don't know if this is okay to post or not ... I'm not meaning it to be political and not suggesting this is a good or bad defense, and not suggesting the veracity of the lawyer's claim, just posting what is reported as far as his defense of this assault goes).

I hope he is charged with attempted murder.

I don't get why people get so riled up over the flag and the anthem in the first place.

Lots of military men in my family, husband, 2 fathers in law, 3 nephews, 4 brothers in law, my father, all serve or have served.

Our flag is flying outside our home and I have 2 garden flags that represent the USA and I have a door hanger for USA during the summer. Summer is just red, white and blue time to me because it starts with Memorial Day, then Flag Day, then 4th of July. Then it's too hot for fall or football outdoor decor, so it's there until September.

However, not standing for the anthem or accidentally letting the cloth that has the flag printed on it hit the ground for a few seconds, not even a blip on our radar.

What's more important to us is how we treat and that we respect all people of all kinds.

I think it is safe to assume that this wasn't really about the flag or the anthem. This guy has a violent history and is probably just a ticking time bomb that gets triggered by anything he sees as wrong. On this day it was a kid not taking off his hat for the anthem. He clearly doesn't respect people, that is the issue with this guy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter