12th Trip to DW - Need Help on FRESH Fun Ideas!

boltjames

Mouseketeer
As the subject says, we've been to DW tons of times and I'm trying really hard to surprise the wife and 2 / 4 year old boys this time.

We stay at the CBR each year, and have done the following extra-curricular activities over the years:

* Hoop De Doo Dinner
* Polynesian Revue
* Crystal Palace Character Breakfast
* Boating on Bay Lake
* Downtown Disney
* Bike Riding at CBR
* Seaworld
* Universal Studios
* Citywalk
* Kennedy Space Center

Can anyone offer up some alternate suggestions of their favorite extra activities while at DW? I'd really like to throw some curves in there this trip.....we leave in less than 3 weeks.

TIA

At Fort Wilderness they have a free campfire certain nights with chip & dale doing a sing a long and a free disney movie. You can also buy marshmallows for roasting over the fire. I plan on doing this for the 1st time in March. Also at Ft. Wilderness they have a petting zoo and you can call ahead for a reservation for a 30 minute carriage ride. My 4 year old will be doing the Wonderland Tea Party in March also. Have a great time whatever you do.

Ditto on the campfire-our kids love it and we talk about it all the time and can't wait to go back.

DisneyQuest.

Ride the monorail through the resorts and have lunch at one of the monorail resorts.

Maybe take one of the family tours at MK.

Rent a surrey bike at the Boardwalk-the kids should be able to sit in the front basket.

Maybe go on a fireworks cruise-our kids seemed to really like the boats at DW and they like fireworks-good combo.

Pony rides, carriage rides, etc. at FW.

Last year we took the Illuminations Cruise at Epcot. The boat picked up us and another family ( we were picked up at Boardwalk and they were picked up at the Swan ) the boat cruised to Epcot and parked under a bridge to watch the Illumination light and fireworks show. After the fireworks it cruised in the lagoon and drove us around for a while. It was fantastic! You should try it!:Pinkbounc

Here are a few things we've enjoyed doing:

Renting a pontoon boat from the GF

Pirate Cruise - for your 4 year old

Illuminations cruise

Blizzard Beach

Surrey bikes at the Boardwalk

Cirque de Soilel

Disney Quest

Family Magic tour at the Magic Kingdom (also they have Keys to the Kingdom, haven't tried that one)

Fireworks cruise on 7 seas lagoon

GF Spa - for your wife ;)

Fishing at POR

Explore AKL and eat at Boma

Fantasmic dinner package

Big outlet mall over on I-4

Try a different resort - something besides CBR

:)

This past December was our 3rd trip. My children were 4 and 6. We tried mini golf at Winter Summerland (right next to Blizzard Beach) We had a lot of fun!!
We also added the following dining experiences to the trip:
50's Prime Time Cafe (this was a lot of fun plus great food)
Sci Fi Cafe (this was alos fun, the food was so-so. I would recommend trying the lunch menu- I heard the burgers were really good) On a previous trip we did Donald's breakfast in Animal Kingdom and this was a great character meal.
Good luck trying to think of new ideas!!

We totally stumbled onto this, I had never heard of it before either here on the boards, or in any guide book.

We were in EPCOT in the Land pavillion, getting ready for lunch. I was sitting with DS (5YO) while others in our party were getting lunch. We were approached by a CM and asked if DS wanted to take part in the Jr. Chef program. It was very cute. All the kids got paper chef hats, and they 'helped' make chocolate chip cookies. They do this about 5 times during the day, and the times are posted. Our son had a great time.

We were there in January and spent a wonderful day at Fort Wilderness. In addition to what's already been mentioned (campfire, carriage ride, petting zoo--all great!), we had a fantastic lunch at the Trail's End Buffet, rented bikes and rode all over the place (you can also rent a golf cart which looked good to us too), and went on a horseback trail ride (very very tame--just our speed!...slow!) during which we saw a couple of deer in the woods! We had never been to Fort Wilderness before and now I want to stay there next time we go to WDW! We also toured Wilderness Lodge and just generally walked around. The boat ride to and from Ft. Wilderness is an "attraction" in itself.

Another suggestion: one day we kind of accidentally stumbled into an unintentionally well-timed trip around the "World" in the World Showcase, during which we saw live performances in nearly every country, starting with a fantastic musician in China (he performs between showings of the film a few days a week), then the musicians in Norway (followed by a great lunch at their buffet--highly recommneded if you like fish), then the storytellers in what amounts to Africa, the fantastic spun-sugar sculptor in Japan, a very wry mime in France.......well, you get the picture. I think I've left out 1/2 of what we saw. The schedules for all the live performances are available at various locations around Epcot--just ask if you don't see one.

I forget if someone already mentioned this, but just in case no one did: the boat ride from POFQ to DD is lovely.

I also want to second the "ride the monorail and visit the resorts" suggestions -- it's totally fun.

Have a fantastic time! Wishing I were there!

--miffy--

My daughter really enjoyed going around the "Kidstops" in Epcot, having the CM's in each country add to the mask they provided, stamp it, and write in her passport (bought at the giftshop for $10). It kept her interested while we looked at the shops.

BJ,

How about Chef Mickey's. Breakfast or dinner. We really enjoyed watching the fireworks from the Poly's beach. (we got there early and got a hammock, very relaxing) Typhoon lagoon, they have great environments for the little ones at both TL and Blizzard beach. WDWIG.com has a lot of different ideas for special little things to do as well as all the big ones, might want to check there for more.

How about staying at another resort besides CBR? Maybe a change in your surroundings would perk up your next trip a bit! It also would give you the opportunity to take advantage of new surroundings. If you can afford it, and it isn't too late (I note you are leaving in just a few weeks) I would suggest switching to a deluxe.

WL might be nice choice for your family, and then you are just a boat ride away from Ft Wilderness and all that it has to offer. Whispering Canyon is a great meal location for your boys. You also could take the boat from WL to CR for a character meal at Chef Mickey's. The Cubs Den would give you and your spouse an opportunity to drop off the boys and maybe enjoy a romantic dinner at Artists Point. When our DS was 6 he tried the Cub's Den and really enjoyed it, and there are lots of things for your boys to do there too.

Another option might be the BC for storm-a-long bay, enjoying leisurely walks around the EPCOT resort loop, and indulging in the ice cream treats (think "Kitchen Sink"!) at Beaches and Cream. The mini golf, across from the Swan would be within walking distance from the BC. The boat transportation to EPCOT and MGM from the BC, or the other EPCOT resorts, is fun and leisurely.

If you decide to keep your ressie at CBR, some additional activities might be: 1) Dinner at BOMA (AK) and then viewing the animals after your meal, 2) Letting the boys play at Legoland in DTD and then enjoying ice cream at Ghiradelli's.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun on your next trip!

Lots of alternatives mentioned onsite. No matter how many times you go you can find new things to do.:) If you have transportation and time, try something offsite. Take a side trip to Celebration. Just follow the signs on World Drive it will lead you right there. Have lunch or dinner at one of the restaurants. Browse the shops, stop for snaks and relax by the lake.
http://www.celebrationfl.com/

Head to the wild side of Disney most folks don't know about:
http://nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/florida/preserves/art5523.html

Head over to Busch Gardens.
http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/fla/default.aspx

Once again if you have the time, stay at a different resort and just relax and and explore your new resort for the day. No rushing, just have fun with your family.:)
Enjoy your next trip.

Even though we don't have kids yet, my DH and I really enjoyed dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe at the WL. The CMs really played their roles well, and there were a ton of things for the kids to do during dinner, such as "horse races".

Originally posted by debster812
We totally stumbled onto this, I had never heard of it before either here on the boards, or in any guide book.

We were in EPCOT in the Land pavillion, getting ready for lunch. I was sitting with DS (5YO) while others in our party were getting lunch. We were approached by a CM and asked if DS wanted to take part in the Jr. Chef program. It was very cute. All the kids got paper chef hats, and they 'helped' make chocolate chip cookies. They do this about 5 times during the day, and the times are posted. Our son had a great time.

This sounds wonderful, my kids love cooking. Is there a cost for this, & if so how much?

My kids like the campfire at FW and making s'mores with Chip and Dale.

They have also done the Grand Adventures in Cooking at the GF and it was a lot of fun. They made mini apple pies and passed them out in the lobby afterwards.

You can rent surry bikes on the boardwalk.

How about finding the paint brush on Tom Sawyers Island first thing in the morning.

Ice Cream social at the Land in Epcot.

Ice Cream at Beaches and Cream.

We went to WDW last year and stayed at the GF. We had fun and one thing we really enjoyed was fishing. There was five of us and we were picked up right on the docks of the GF. I know you have kids that are 2/4 but it cpuld still be a good time. I also know that you are staying at the CBR i don't no where they do it. Well i think they do it on the CR thats not to close either. :smooth: :smooth: :smooth: :smooth: :smooth:

Everyone has posted such GREAT ideas! Have you seen the "cirque de soleil" show in DTD? Fabulous fun! The old Hay ride w/Draft horses pulling the cart in Ft. wilderness is a blast (It's final destination is the viewing of the Water Pagent!).
grand20.jpg
Disney Quest is loads of fun, as is Fantasia Golf. Have you visited the GIANT FAO Schwarz toy store on International Drive? Great place for the kids to explore and interact. I second the motion for CELEBRATION. We also visit DT Celebration each summer, and take in a movie and some food/fun. Driving the streets is an attraction in itself!;)
How about a 3-day CRUISE on the Disney Wonder? This would surprise the "pants" off of them. The transportation would conveniently pick you up at CBR, and take you right to Port Canaveral! Or...you could tell them you are taking them to Kennedy Space Center (again), and drive there. The expression on their faces when you pulled up to the Disney Dock would be "PRICELESS"...and an incredible surprise!

*In fact, we are doing this during our summer vacation. Last summer, we injected the 7-night Magic Western CC into our itinerary. DD loved it so...and wished to go again. We told her we would plan another cruise in a couple of years...well, we are going again this summer. She has NO idea, and will be SHOCKED when we pull into the dock area! Surprises are SO fun! She has also ALWAYS enjoyed the CR, and wants to stay there again. She has NO IDEA we are booked for five eves in a 1 BR suite on the 14th floor. Priceless....absolutely. :)

I would definitely recommend booking an "Illuminations Cruise" from one of the Epcot Resorts. This was the highlight of our trip, and I can not rave about it enough. The Magic Kingdom also has a "fireworks cruise" which wasn't as spectacular but easier to get and very relaxing cruise of the Seven Seas Lagoon. The Carriage rides at Fort Wilderness and Hay Rides are a lot of fun also, and they stop to view the fireworks from MK as well.

Try one of the Backstage Tours at WDW. I would suggest the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour at the MK. It is a 5 hour tour which includes lunch, and no waiting on 3 popular rides. You also get to go backstage and learn so many interesting facts about Walt, the rides, the castmembers, hidden mickeys, and they take you underground to see how the magic works.

Have you tried dinner at O'hana's? It is always a huge hit with everyone and the food is great. If you time it right, you can also get a great view of the fireworks from the restaurant, and they pipe the music in. If you are in the mood to splurge, then I would suggest the California Grille on the roof of the contemporary!
Excellent firework view from the roof as well.

And finally Disney Quest or Cirque Du Solei at Downtown Disney. Both must see/do at WDW

Thanks for the awesome suggestions!

Some questions:

1. What is "BOMA" at the Animal Kingdom?

2. What's the difference between the Carriage Ride and the Hay Ride at Ft Wilderness?

3. Can we do a Carriage/Hay Ride, watch the fireworks, *and* do the campfire and movie all in one night? If so, how do you recommend I schedule it?

4. Can I get more detail around the Illuminations Cruise? Is it a dinner cruise? Can kids run around a bit or are they strapped in to seats? Will a 2 and 4 year old hold up for its entirety?

5. What is the Fantasmic Dinner Package?

6. Where is the best restaurant at the Wilderness Lodge for kids to enjoy some "theatrics" *and* get to see some big animals close-up?

7. Is the Cub's Den located in a particular hotel? Can a CBR guest put the kids there for a few hours too?

Thanks again! If you've got some more suggestions please let me know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter