1200 pics, 1100 miles, 15 deluxe dining meals, 1 great time at POR *Completed 9/5*

A great day to end your vacation...Muppets, Star tours (although I have a hard time with this without an upset stomach, can't imagine riding it right after having one) and then Toy Story Mania.

Thank you for sharing your TR with us. I look forward to your final thoughts.

Good to hear the steak was good at sci-fi - I planned a lot of breakfasts since that's what my kids eat the most. We only have one dinner reservation at it's at the sci-fi. I was hoping to hear a good review!

Being sick is the pits but being on vacation and not feeling well is the total pits. I'm glad that you two started feeling better after cooling off and were able to enjoy a few more things before leaving.

It sounds like a wise decision to cancel dinner reservations and hit the road. Even though you don't want to see the end of a trip, it is nice to make it home. I sure wish that our drive was only 9 hours.

What an odd way to cover the double-charging of meal credits. Sorry to hear that the heat was making you feel not-so-hot. Good decision to leave early an get home. Nothing feels as good as home when you're not feeling well.

I'm so sorry that the heat got to you and your DD. It can really take a toll on a person.

I love Muppets 3D. It was looking a little worn last time I was in there though. That won't stop me from going though. I love the grumpy old men in the balcony seats! :lmao: Gotta love that air conditioning too!

Your DS may have beat you (just barely) on TSMM but, I did notice you were more accurate. I would rather have you at a gun fight with me. ;)

Glad y'all made it home safely. Don't you just love climbing into your own bed when you get back? Your animals are so cute!

I loved your TR Alan and can't wait for the next one whenever that may be. It was fun following along to all your adventures.

I've loved this TR so much I've started reading your 2009 report! It's awesome to see how much your kids have grown from one TR to the next. :).

What a great report! Thank you. :thumbsup2
I started following along because we are about to stay at POR for the first time, and I'm so glad I did. Very fun!

The steak at Sci-fi does look good. I think I'll have to get that when I eat there.

Sorry to hear you and DD weren't feeling well. At least it was at the end of your trip so you didn't miss out on too much. Glad you felt good enough to at least do a few more attractions!!

Glad you all made it home safe. Your pets are so cute and I bet they were glad to see you!

I really enjoyed reading about your trip. I'll have to go back and read your other trip report!

WOW! I just spent my whole Friday evening reading this TR and had the best time! :cheer2: I usually take it easy on the DISboards between trips, and we are heading down in a little less than a month so I am back in full force. This TR has gotten me beyond excited!

Darling family, deluxe dining, lots and lots of pics, attractions galore - this story has it all! Thanks for letting us enjoy it with you!!!

What a great TR! Admittedly this is the first one I've read start to finish, but I really enjoyed it! It was such fun to kinda go along with your family in this wonderful trip, but it also have me a lot o ideas (and a LOT to look forward to) for our next WDW vacation! Thanks so might for sharing all this!

I love reading about your families adventures!! You know when I first saw the link to your report I hadn't realized how many years had passed and how much your children had grown up!! What sweet kids they seem to have become!!

Happy belated anniversary and I will be looking forward to reading about your next trip. Maybe it will be the couple trip you hinted at!!! I love Port Orleans. The cast members there are fantastic!!

Amazing trip report; thank you for taking the time to write and post pics. My family is going in 4 weeks! I most enjoyed your thoughts on California Grill as we are eating there for the first time. I'm glad to hear it was a highlight of your trip as I'm hoping that for my family!

Thanks again!

I'm just back from a weekend at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. It has been loads of fun reading your trip report. Sad that it had to end, but I also look forward to your next one, whenever that is.

I'm glad they didn't charge your credit card for the cancelled adr. When someone isn't feeling well, you would think they could be a bit more forgiving. You gave plenty of notice and now they could take a walk up.

Those onion rings at Sci-Fi are so yummy! DW's steak looks pretty tasty, too.

Really great trip report! Looking forward to your final thoughts.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I can certainly understand charging for not showing up at all to an ADR, but if you've given them the courtesy of a call 3-4 hours ahead of time surely they can fill your spot with a walk-up.

Sci-Fi's onion rings are the BEST! I don't know why they are any better than onion rings anywhere else....they just are! :)

Thanks for the compliments! Final thoughts coming up.

For a minute there I thought your ribs were burnt :rotfl: I also got the same thing as your wife and was surprised at how good the steak was.
Anyway thanks for sharing your trip with us, I really enjoyed all of it :thumbsup2

I know! That was a terrible picture! With no flash they were too dark to see, but with the flash it made them look burned. They were actually quite yummy, but I wish I would've gotten the steak instead. Thanks for the compliments! I've enjoyed writing this report!

A great day to end your vacation...Muppets, Star tours (although I have a hard time with this without an upset stomach, can't imagine riding it right after having one) and then Toy Story Mania.

Thank you for sharing your TR with us. I look forward to your final thoughts.

I hated that the heat was really getting to us, but it was. It was a bit unfortunate that the trip ended a little earlier than expected but I think we made the right call.

Good to hear the steak was good at sci-fi - I planned a lot of breakfasts since that's what my kids eat the most. We only have one dinner reservation at it's at the sci-fi. I was hoping to hear a good review!

I was really pleasantly surprised by the steak at Sci-Fi! It was yummy!

Being sick is the pits but being on vacation and not feeling well is the total pits. I'm glad that you two started feeling better after cooling off and were able to enjoy a few more things before leaving.

It sounds like a wise decision to cancel dinner reservations and hit the road. Even though you don't want to see the end of a trip, it is nice to make it home. I sure wish that our drive was only 9 hours.

I think DD and all of us got a little too hot waiting to get in Sci-Fi. She gets sick easily anyway. We hated to end the trip early but it was the right call.

What an odd way to cover the double-charging of meal credits. Sorry to hear that the heat was making you feel not-so-hot. Good decision to leave early an get home. Nothing feels as good as home when you're not feeling well.

I know right? Yeah, we definitely made the right call by coming on home early. My only regret is that I really really wanted to eat at Sanaa. Oh well....that will definitely be on my list for our next trip!

I'm so sorry that the heat got to you and your DD. It can really take a toll on a person.

I love Muppets 3D. It was looking a little worn last time I was in there though. That won't stop me from going though. I love the grumpy old men in the balcony seats! :lmao: Gotta love that air conditioning too!

Your DS may have beat you (just barely) on TSMM but, I did notice you were more accurate. I would rather have you at a gun fight with me. ;)

Glad y'all made it home safely. Don't you just love climbing into your own bed when you get back? Your animals are so cute!

It's funny...we live in the Southeast U.S., so we are used to the heat...but this was Central Florida June Humidity midday heat. All you really want to do is be indoors or in a pool somewhere!

Oh I love Muppets 3D also! I always enjoyed the TV show when it used to be on, and this show is a great throwback and tribute to the original show. It is definitely "worn", but I'm okay with that! :)

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I told DS! Lol! Points, Schmoints! I'm more accurate! :rotfl2: (not that I'm competitive or anything!) :rotfl2:

Yes I think our desire to sleep in our own beds was greater than our desire to stick around. The pets certainly were glad for us to be home!

I loved your TR Alan and can't wait for the next one whenever that may be. It was fun following along to all your adventures.

Thanks! It takes a lot of time to put a TR together, but it is therapeutic also...and you have a permanent record of your vacation to refer back to in the years to come! Thanks for reading along!

I've loved this TR so much I've started reading your 2009 report! It's awesome to see how much your kids have grown from one TR to the next. :).

Awww, thanks! I'm really proud of the kiddos....they've grown into really good and responsible teens. Thanks for reading along...again! :)

What a great report! Thank you. :thumbsup2
I started following along because we are about to stay at POR for the first time, and I'm so glad I did. Very fun!

Thank you very much! It was a great trip and we absolutely fell in LOVE with POR! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! Safe travels!

The steak at Sci-fi does look good. I think I'll have to get that when I eat there.

Sorry to hear you and DD weren't feeling well. At least it was at the end of your trip so you didn't miss out on too much. Glad you felt good enough to at least do a few more attractions!!

Glad you all made it home safe. Your pets are so cute and I bet they were glad to see you!

I really enjoyed reading about your trip. I'll have to go back and read your other trip report!

I would definitely recommend the steak at Sci-Fi. The ribs were good but nothing special.

It was unfortunate that DD wasn't feeling well, but as you said at least it was at the end of our vacation. We were glad to make it back home and our pets were VERY excited to see us!

WOW! I just spent my whole Friday evening reading this TR and had the best time! :cheer2: I usually take it easy on the DISboards between trips, and we are heading down in a little less than a month so I am back in full force. This TR has gotten me beyond excited!

Darling family, deluxe dining, lots and lots of pics, attractions galore - this story has it all! Thanks for letting us enjoy it with you!!!

Hahahahaha! I love it! I've done that before....find a TR and read it like a book! I'm flattered that you found our TR and enjoyed it! Thank you so much for your kind words. Y'all have a wonderful trip!

What a great TR! Admittedly this is the first one I've read start to finish, but I really enjoyed it! It was such fun to kinda go along with your family in this wonderful trip, but it also have me a lot o ideas (and a LOT to look forward to) for our next WDW vacation! Thanks so might for sharing all this!

Thank you so much! I try to just re-live the moments in telling the story. It's funny because I go back and read my own trip reports when I'm needing some Disney magic! When I go back and read the ones from 2008 and 2009 it is hard to know where the time has gone...and to see how the kids have grown. Glad I was able to give you some ideas for your trip!

I love reading about your families adventures!! You know when I first saw the link to your report I hadn't realized how many years had passed and how much your children had grown up!! What sweet kids they seem to have become!!

Happy belated anniversary and I will be looking forward to reading about your next trip. Maybe it will be the couple trip you hinted at!!! I love Port Orleans. The cast members there are fantastic!!

Hi SunnieRN! :wave2: So good to see you! It is just plain scary how much the kids have grown since our last trip. I'm definitely proud of the young adults they've become.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes! DW and I are already discussing our next trip, which will most likely be just the two of us. She's got to attend a conference in January 2016 in Orlando and we are tentatively planning to make a Disney trip out of it.

We loved Port Orleans! I would stay there again in a heartbeat...so peaceful...and I really loved where that resort is located. And the cast members were great!

Amazing trip report; thank you for taking the time to write and post pics. My family is going in 4 weeks! I most enjoyed your thoughts on California Grill as we are eating there for the first time. I'm glad to hear it was a highlight of your trip as I'm hoping that for my family!

Thanks again!

Thanks very much for your kind words! I hope you all have as much fun as we did!

California Grill is just plain awesome. What could possibly be better than being on the 15th floor of the Contemporary resort with that view? And if you like sushi this is the place to get it! Oh my gosh! It really was the highlight!

I'm just back from a weekend at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. It has been loads of fun reading your trip report. Sad that it had to end, but I also look forward to your next one, whenever that is.

I've never been to Disneyland but I would love to go. It looks like a ton of fun! Thanks for the compliments! I can almost guarantee you that another trip and trip report will be happening sometime in the not-so-distant future! :)

I'm a firm believer in learning from my experiences...so I made a few notes of some things I would do differently on future trips:

1. Stay 7 nights instead of 6. We've done both and this time 6 nights seemed to be too short. In the future I would do an 8-day park pass with hopper and stay on property for 7 nights.

2. No dining plan. Dine out of pocket for the entire trip. Deluxe Dining is waaayyyy too much food and it is expensive. Regular dining doesn't include appetizers and is somewhat restrictive. I believe we would come out much better to just order what we want and pay out of pocket than to be restricted by a dining plan.

3. Not as many ADRs. Make reservations for the most coveted meals then wait until closer to time for others. Plan to do more QS meals so that we aren't constantly watching the clock until time for our next meal. Make a list of the best out of pocket values. (Ohana, Kona, Be Our Guest lunch, Yak & Yeti quick service, etc.)

4. Get park hopper instead of water parks option. They are the same price. We LOVE the water parks but I now think park hopper would be more desirable. Park hopper will allow us to go back to Magic Kingdom late every night after dinner. AND with no dining plan each family member can go wherever he or she wants each day.

5. New touring plans: rope drop some days, sleep in some days. Use FP+ during the most busy times. Plan to tour more at night when it is cooler and the crowds aren't so bad.

6. Relax a little. Plan to spend some time at the resort pool, have a drink at the pool bar, etc. We loved Port Orleans! In the future I hope to just kick back and enjoy all the resort has to offer a little more.

7. Restaurant notes: (a) Must Do = California Grill, Be Our Guest, Flying Fish, Yak & Yeti, Tony's (for tradition). (b) great values out of pocket = Kona, Sanaa, Ohana, Earl of Sandwich. (c) may want to go to some restaurants just for specific dishes only. I'd go to Raglan Road just for the bread pudding for dessert! or go to Sci-Fi for dessert only. (d) not a must do = Boma, Cape May Cafe. (e) Good value on deluxe dining plan, but not out of pocket = Tutto Italia, Narcoossees

Thank you ALL for reading along with this trip report! It has been a pleasure! I wish you all safe travels and lots of fun at Disney World! Hopefully we will be going back sooner rather than later. One of my favorite Walt Disney quotes is, "keep moving forward." And that's exactly what we will do! :cool1: Have a wonderful day! :cool1:

Great final thoughts, Alan. We haven't done the dining plan in forever (we have a TIW card thanks to being AP holders which is much more beneficial to us). Yes, Mark and I have discovered over the years that a little relaxing helps the vacation itself in the long run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter