10th Wedding Anniversary Trip in January?? Any January Vacationers out there??

kc&dmom

Mouseketeer
We had always planned to spend our 10th Anniversary Skiing Vail or if I had my way on a beach in Hawaii. After DH's first trip to Disney he is all for going back without the kids. So what's a girl to do but hang out with the mouse?? We stayed at the Poly last time around so I did get a taste of Hawaii. Anyone have any highlights of a trip in January and suggestions about where to stay?

This trip would be all about things we would not and did not do with the kids. (Not that we don't adore the little darlings but our last trip we made completely and totally about their every whim and this would be our first time away from them for more than a weekend -- a whole 5 days and 4 nights to ourselves!)

MK -- more than spending a day doing the park we were thinking about doing the behind the scenes tour -- any thoughts?

We hoped to spend most of our time really exploring EPCOT without the 7, 5, & 4 year old I heard it can be a lot of fun. It was pretty much just a quick walk around the pond, dinner & fireworks last time.

Pleasure Island/Downtown Disney---truly sounds like fantasy land to me. Is this place as great during the January off season??

Keeping my fingers crossed for input!!

kc&dmom, congratulations on your upcoming anniversary from another January bride--my DH and I will also be celebrating our 10th anniversary next year--1/8/94.

Going to WDW in January is great. In January, we spent 8 days at WDW. There weren't any crowds to contend with--our longest wait for anything was 15 minutes. The weather was down right nippy on some days, but if you're prepared, it really isn't all that bad. Seeing Epcot without kids would be great as you could really take your time exploring each country as well as take in some of the shows that are too hard to do with younger kids. DTD is a great spot as well. We wandered through the shops on a couple of nights after spending the day in the parks. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants, but I hear their also very good.

I can't really suggest a place to stay since we've only stayed at the CBR and we didn't do the tours, so hopefully someone else can comment. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy! DU

Well an early congratulations to you --- it was a COLD day in Chicago on January 8, 1994 when we were married -- I always thought it would be great to do just the opposite for our tenth. Blistering heat to balance it out or something. I know not to expect it Florida. I assumed crowds would be light --- were you there during the marathon?? Looks like we would run into it. We would certainly not be running in it!!:smooth:

DH and I were at WDW in November without the children to celebrate our 18th anniversary. We stayed at the YC for the first time, and just loved it. The resort is beautiful, and the location can't be beat (especially if you plan on spending alot of time a Epcot and MGM :D ).

We went in January '02 with the whole family and stayed at AKL and the Poly. It was a great time of year to visit...just be prepared for any kind of weather.

Hope you have fun planning your trip. I'm sure it'll be great wherever you decide to stay.

We just celebrated our 13th anniversary @ DW. We did, however, have to take the 4 dds with us which left us only being able to spend the actual day of our anniversary (27th) alone. We paid for DSIL a room at Buena Vista Suites in exchange for a day of sitting. This was cheaper than paying for a fairy godmother for an entire day & late into the night. Worked out very well.

Crowds were almost nonexistent. We walked onto most every ride / show. First couple of days we were there were a little chilly (of course we would be going the week of the "big chill" in the south!) It started to warm up mid week and we were able to swim.

We stayed at the Grand Floridian which is magical in and of itself. We spent a simple day together just catching attractions that we wouldn't be able to do with the kids in tow. We came in from the parks on the night before our anniversary (Sun) to find a complimentary bottle of champagne, a card, and a long stem rose - all of this while watching the fireworks and the color changing castle - purely magical!

We had ressies for the 6:00 seating at V & A. We walked into the main lobby and just as we hit the carpet the pianist began playing "Once Upon a Dream" from Sleeping Beauty (my absolute all time favorite!). DH tried to take credit for that one, but I know better - it was just another sprinkling of pixie dust for our day!

Victoria & Albert's was beyond description. I was a little apprehensive when I made the ressie, knowing that I am not such an adventurous eater, but we were absolutely blown away! I would highly recommend this for your special day!

After dinner, we just walked around the grounds, sat awhile reminiscing and enjoyed a quiet evening. I was glad that we were not far from our room, as after that wine pairing, this "low tolerance" mommie was quite tipsy!

I think the tour would be great! Just have fun - the pixie dusy will find you no matter where find yourselves!:D

January/first week of February is a great time to go! As previously stated, the crowds are almost non-existent!

Personally, if it were me and DH celebrating w/o the kids, I'd pick an Epcot resort. Swan/Dolphin, Boardwalk Inn, or Yacht and Beach Club. The location is spectacular! Many dining options within easy walking distance. Oh....and you can walk to Epcot and MGM as well!

The only potential problem with that time of year is the weather! During our most recent January trip (19th thru 25th) we got to experience what it was like to be cold in Florida when it dropped down to 28 degrees on January 24th! Just make sure to pack for any kind of weather, including sweaters, sweatshirts, and light jackets.

Oh, and Happy Anniversary!!:D

We've stayed at BWV and WL and can highly reccomend either. BWV is fun because of all the activities going on around it, and WL is just plain BEAUTIFUL- very warm and homey, but might be a little too "wintery" feeling for you if you're trying to get away from that cold Wisc. weather. We actually use to live in Brookfield, Wi.- and we loved staying at the WL! No crowds to speak of EXCEPT for the marathon weekend. The actual marathon date is on Jan. 11 in 2004. Actually- we are headed for WDW during the marathon next year as well! When I booked through the DVC (We are FINALLY owners- doing the happy dance on that!! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: ) my guide told me that that was a very busy and hard to book weekend. So, if you haven't made your ressie's you might want to hurry and decide- registration for the marathon begins TODAY!!! :earseek: - Of course, maybe she was only referring to the DVC properties??!?!?!?

We have gone in January the past three years. While the weather can be unpredictable, the crowds are almost non-existent. Since you want to spend a lot of time in Epcot, I would recommend one of "Epcot" resorts. Last year we stayed at BWI and this year we stayed at the Swan. Both are beautiful resorts. The Swan has those wonderful heavenly beds. Both are close to the Boardwalk for after-park entertainment in case you don't want to head to DTD or PI. We haven't stayed at Dolpin or Y&B yet but I'm sure they would be great too.

We spent our 25th anniversary, in Jan., a couple of years ago. We ate at Cinderellas Royal Castle for breakfast for the first time. We told them at the desk where you check in that it was our anniversary and were seated by the windows overlooking Fantasyland. The princesses all signed a decree we got to keep and the gave us beautiful wine glasses with Cindies inscribed on them, for free!!!
I can't say if they do this all the time, but it was great!

I heartily agree with all the above posters who recommend EPCOT. You might also consider AK. I went 2 years ago in January with DS. Because it was cool, there were a lot more animals out and about. Also, AK is one of those parks that's a LOT easier on you when the weather is cool. We really had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter