10 NIGHTS RPR...MARDI GRAS & COCKTAILS....MARCH 2018 TRIP

Love the bag and it was nice of you to pay it forward on the minions ride. We used to do this at wdw when they had paper fastpass. It was fun to see the reactions.

That shrimp poboy is delicious, I got one the last time we went during MG.

Thanks Vicki.......I haven’t really used it yet apart from The Palm in Orlando and out for lunch......I’ll get my use out of it........

Oh I was so happy to be able to pay it forward a little......we have so much kindness shown to us, it’s nice to do as much as you can......even a little things works doesn’t it..........yes, nice to see their faces.......l

Oh it is nice isn’t it........we’d get that again in a heartbeat........

Just caught up - I am soooo excited to follow another one of your trip reports :lovestruc Looks like a great vacation - I'm taking notes, we're staying at Universal for the 1st time this September :yay: And absolutely love the new LV bag :love:

Just caught up - I am soooo excited to follow another one of your trip reports :lovestruc Looks like a great vacation - I'm taking notes, we're staying at Universal for the 1st time this September :yay: And absolutely love the new LV bag :love:

:welcome:

cynditech...........a warm welcome to you again..........

1st visit this September!! Wow.........I’m sure you’ll have a fabulous time.........and glad you like the bag too!!

Glad to have you along again.........:wave2:

I don't think we have ever been less than $100 in here every trip.
Well that does it-you are an American now:rotfl:! Actually I can get out of Walmart under $100 but Target and Sam's club-um no. Never. and it is worse if a kid is along!
Road works are dreadful. They have been for a while, but we knew the ramp down to I4 to get to the mall was closed, so were going to use another route to get there each visit........it doesn't take long. But, will be glad to see all these road works completed eventually......I`m sure it`ll be worth it and certainly locals will be glad to see it all finished.
yeah my DD last semester said interchanges and exits would actually change overnight-like between when she got off at midnight and when she went in next day!
And to this day if I go anywhere new, I still find myself scanning for how I`d get out in an emergency
I'm not an engineer but years of working in hospitals and being drilled on exits/fire pulls etc-I still do the same too!

We were happy we could pay it forward just a little........
How sweet!! Bet you just made that family's day! DD and her roommate did the Pirate scavenger hunt in MK for an hour one day in MK last week (I people watched while they dashed back and forth across ADventureland)-after a few maps completed the CM will give FP for Pirates of Caribbean ride - the old paper kind. We had already ridden it twice, and never did get back to use the paper passes-so we handed ours to a Mom and daughter waiting in line for MK bus on our checkout day. Miss the days of being able to do that! Like you said-we too have experienced lots of kindness and it was nice to pay it forward.

And now I am looking at hotel rates for next spring break-if we do end up with annual passes to Universal I want to see Mardi gras too :laughing:!

Such great pictures of the park all festive. And I love the bag! A well made bag is always a worthwhile purchase.

Hooray! I'm so glad to be reading a new trip report from you:love:

We're heading back in June to make more use of our APs. Looking forward to reading more!

Yay!! Another @schumigirl report!!

You guys always have the best adventures and I'm so excited to follow along on another one (especially as you inspired my upcoming trip!) I'm afraid I will probably be one of the Canadians complaining about the exchange rate LOL! I spend a fair amount of time in the USA and will have 4 trips there in a span of less than 2 months - it starts to hurt your soul to just see that cash go *poof*, but it's worth it for me if I have fun spending it!

I always love your shopping pictures and adore your new handbag! Lovely! I got such a chuckle from you mentioning the Aussie hair products, I love them too but I think the American ones are slightly different than the ones we have here as well so I stock up while I'm in the US too! I'm excited to see the security area at the boat launch at RPR as well, it seems like a very handy dandy setup!

Looking forward to what comes next! :)

Well that does it-you are an American now:rotfl:! Actually I can get out of Walmart under $100 but Target and Sam's club-um no. Never. and it is worse if a kid is along!

yeah my DD last semester said interchanges and exits would actually change overnight-like between when she got off at midnight and when she went in next day!

I'm not an engineer but years of working in hospitals and being drilled on exits/fire pulls etc-I still do the same too!

How sweet!! Bet you just made that family's day! DD and her roommate did the Pirate scavenger hunt in MK for an hour one day in MK last week (I people watched while they dashed back and forth across ADventureland)-after a few maps completed the CM will give FP for Pirates of Caribbean ride - the old paper kind. We had already ridden it twice, and never did get back to use the paper passes-so we handed ours to a Mom and daughter waiting in line for MK bus on our checkout day. Miss the days of being able to do that! Like you said-we too have experienced lots of kindness and it was nice to pay it forward.

And now I am looking at hotel rates for next spring break-if we do end up with annual passes to Universal I want to see Mardi gras too :laughing:!

Such great pictures of the park all festive. And I love the bag! A well made bag is always a worthwhile purchase.

Oh I can’t imagine having to make those journeys for months in end on ever changing roads!

That was nice on PoTC........it is nice being able to do something that just makes a little difference to someone’s day in a good way........

Mardi Gras is fun!!! We definitely plan to go back around the same time next year too.........

Last edited:
Hooray! I'm so glad to be reading a new trip report from you:love:

We're heading back in June to make more use of our APs. Looking forward to reading more!

:welcome: Andrea...........

So lovely to see you.......Thanks!!! Glad you’ve joined in reading along.......

You’re back in June.......Yay.........definitely make the most of those AP’s.........:thumbsup2

Yay!! Another @schumigirl report!!

You guys always have the best adventures and I'm so excited to follow along on another one (especially as you inspired my upcoming trip!) I'm afraid I will probably be one of the Canadians complaining about the exchange rate LOL! I spend a fair amount of time in the USA and will have 4 trips there in a span of less than 2 months - it starts to hurt your soul to just see that cash go *poof*, but it's worth it for me if I have fun spending it!

I always love your shopping pictures and adore your new handbag! Lovely! I got such a chuckle from you mentioning the Aussie hair products, I love them too but I think the American ones are slightly different than the ones we have here as well so I stock up while I'm in the US too! I'm excited to see the security area at the boat launch at RPR as well, it seems like a very handy dandy setup!

Looking forward to what comes next! :)

And a very warm :welcome: to sunny_stace..........

Oh I hear you on the exchange rate ::yes::........it is hard to see it so low........we have very fond memories of getting $2 to our £1........those were the days.........but I agree, it’s still worth it.........

How funny on the shampoo........the US mix seems to the best one for everyone.......you’d think it would be the same formula for everyone.......I wasn’t back home one day when one friend sent a txt asking if I had brought some back.........lol......she immediately sent another asking we’d had a good time.......lol........yes, I know where her priorities are........:laughing:

But, glad to see you post on here again.........:wave2:

MARCH 16TH.....CONT.........

So, we then headed around to Potter. There was certainly an abundance of people heading that way tonight.........and again, we were seeing slightly less crowds than we anticipated, but still busier than we were used to. It was a little cooler now, but I steadfastly refused to put my hoodie on till absolutely necessary after all.........this was Orlando, it shouldn't be cold........even in March. I do have to say everyone told us it was unseasonably cool.........to be honest in the sun it was still lovely.....but in the shade it did feel cool. For us.

The phone box where you can call the ministry of magic was mobbed.......there must have been at least 20 people waiting to use it.....and take pictures of course. People didn't seem to mind waiting, as everyone knows how precious pictures are from our family vacations.......the Knight Bus was the same.......the queue was very long. We didn't plan to do things like that this trip......this was all about relaxing and just taking everything in and we weren't even that bothered about rides this trip, but we would do some.

I persuaded Tom to have a picture here........he really is happier being what he calls "my personal photographer" :rotfl:......I had mentioned we had seen the sign for the Leaky Cauldron many times, but never took a picture.......I think I had the door........but got the sign this time.

i-9H6JfjM-XL.jpg

i-kW9Z44P-XL.jpg

At this point a woman stopped and pointed up at what we were taking pictures of. She exclaimed very loud she had been 3 times to Potter and never knew that door or sign was there.........I laughed and told her that was the idea........don't think she got what I meant........but she then proceeded to accost us to take her families picture under it......of course we were happy to do it.........

We walked through the infamous sounding moving bricks and this was where everyone was..........it was busy. We did manage to get some pictures without crowds though.........this pink always reminds me of something you would take for a stomach upset..........

i-sRjCwTz-XL.jpg

i-xHqNGcH-XL.jpg

i-k6hJBr2-XL.jpg

You do get a nice little array of drinks at this stop in Diagon Alley........there`s a few tables too so you can usually get a seat somewhere, not today though. This is a nice place when it`s open during HHN.....it`s fairly quiet usually.

i-kznCnHw-XL.jpg

They were doing their little show when we passed.......I have to say we have seen these so often we generally don't stop and watch anymore, but if you haven't seen them I`d always suggest taking the time to watch them, they are cute.

i-Qr7WdKH-XL.jpg

We do go into the Gringotts Money Exchange........this is a fairly interactive experience........the head Goblin does actually talk to you if you ask him questions.......sometimes he is a little rude if you don't talk to him and just walk out.......but always fun.......today we just wander in and he does indeed ask why we haven't asked him anything........

i-fdqgJ6N-XL.jpg

i-4csmPBM-XL.jpg

We did have to buy two $20 for someone we know who was travelling with their kids for their first visit, they`re actually out there right now.......and although Disney is their main reason for their visit, they are both Potter mad. But we didn't pick them up today for some reason..........

We head round and think we might do Gringotts ride tonight........

We soon changed our mind when we saw there was a queue to get into the lockers!!! The EP queue was to quote a TM......slightly longer than normal........we took a pass. And that is the beauty of EP and longer stays.......we can ride this anytime........so we thanked her and turned to go back out of that area.........so we went around and took some pictures.......of course........

i-Tqc676h-XL.jpg

i-Qgkkn8S-XL.jpg

Some folks had been asking where the wand trick with the umbrella is that you can make it rain........so I took some pictures........

i-JVQqBZh-XL.jpg

i-WxjkMqQ-XL.jpg

i-vMWvRtL-XL.jpg

And it does light up too......which is pretty cool in the dark.........

i-wNHSRrx-XL.jpg

It is really lovely to watch when kids can manage to do the spells.......there`s usually a TM handy to give a hand if needed.......

We headed into what is without doubt our favourite area in DA.........Knockturn Alley.........over the years since it opened we have visited many times and have taken lots of pictures.......but there’s something of a draw to take more each trip........one trip I do plan to leave the camera behind for the whole time :scared1:.......but not today.

It is cool and has a spookier feel about it.......but not scary as such.......there is so much detail in place in both Potter areas there is always something to see new every time.......although we must surely be running out of new delights some time soon.

i-gFq6bzb-XL.jpg

i-pcChwvx-XL.jpg

i-qnbM5Mv-XL.jpg

i-nMkvhhG-XL.jpg

i-XQCkvrG-XL.jpg

i-4VZGJqD-XL.jpg

These guys are a hoot!!!!

i-ZqMBG44-XL.jpg

i-Pt9NBTt-XL.jpg

i-8Dr7p9K-XL.jpg

i-6CThLmZ-XL.jpg

i-pFGsCB7-XL.jpg

There are a couple of spells in here too for the interactive wands........

i-xXsVHZW-XL.jpg

i-Qz4K2gX-XL.jpg

This really is the coolest of areas within an amazing area in itself..........we love the theming in both parks......yes, even Superhero area.......but the Potter areas are outstanding......genuinely impress us more every time we visit........tiny little details pop out of obscurity everywhere you look and sometimes where you least expect it.

Spending an hour or so doesn't do this area justice.........the shops alone are detailed beyond anything......if you are a Potter fan there are so many things to discover and enjoy. Madame Malkins is one of those stores........stand in front of the mirror and wait for a compliment.......or maybe not a compliment..........:D

Mardi Gras coming up..........

Last edited:
MARCH 15TH......CONT

So we left Potter and again marveled at everything that has been done there........

But for now we were continuing on our plan to cocktail our way around the park tonight........we like cocktails!!! Well, I like cocktails....Tom was mainly having beer tonight.........

We love Chez Alcatraz.........if you don't now where it is it`s right beside where Bruce is.......Bruce is the Jaws model of course.......we hadn't been for a while, but its a nice little stopping point for a light refreshment........it`s never normally overly busy and tonight was no different despite already seeing some people stake out a place to stand for the parade. We found at Christmas there was no need to stand for 5 hours before the parade to get a good spot.........so we planned to do the same thing again........even standing further back would be good as the floats were tall and after all it`s all about the beads isn't it.............

Luis and jen were working tonight in the bar.......they do a mean cocktail too.........they serve food too but we had never eaten there, but friends had said it was nice, snack type food. But tonight we sat down and Luis asked what we wanted.......Tom got a beer and I studied the cocktail menu........so much choice.......

i-hTbCsfF-XL.jpg

I went for the Escape although I was torn as there was a few I`d enjoy.......I love rum based cocktails.........and it was nice.......again we didn't take the glass as I didn't want to carry it around........

i-PTNvbgr-XL.jpg

i-PWQdRQ2-XL.jpg

Wow it was good.........we sat here for quite a while talking to Luis who is a real fun guy......good conversationalist and pours a good cocktail.........we did only have the one here but it was lovely and helped pass the time to the parade which started at 7.45 tonight.

Eventually we left and headed over towards where we were planning to stand.....almost opposite Starbucks and backing on to the lagoon.....it wasn't busy, but there was a few people stood around..........

i-Rbcwngq-XL.jpg

i-nFm5cgR-XL.jpg

We could see the parade begin all the way behind us over by Horror Make Up Show........it did look good! And finally they made it around to us.......I will say a lot of our pictures are fairly blurry as everything was moving of course.......but we did get some.......

i-qWsZsQL-XL.jpg

i-ZQSDZzC-XL.jpg

i-CJbdnZ9-XL.jpg

i-4jW3NWZ-XL.jpg

i-ZnQTjWG-XL.jpg

i-5CH2cbs-XL.jpg

i-tTDNcrt-XL.jpg

i-LdQncSN-XL.jpg

i-46bvVSC-XL.jpg

i-PFtpC7D-XL.jpg

i-R5mq2wW-XL.jpg

Tom decided he would be the one to take the pictures while I grappled for the beads........well.......stood beside me was a young guy who must have been around 9 feet tall.........yep.....he had to come stand beside me........I looked at him and said ok you win......I don`t stand a chance do I..........he did see the funny side though.........

I never think of myself as competitive.......I genuinely don't mind losing at monopoly or any other board game......but, what is it about cheap plastic beads that brings out the beast of competitiveness in people.......namely me.

I was like a woman possessed ::yes:: :blush: ........and discovered I could jump.......not ideal with the heels I have!!! But......it was a huge amount of fun and I did manage to get a lot of beads........lots........although I did give some to a little girl who appeared and didn't get many.......although if I`m being honest I kept all the purple ones........only gave her some cream and green........she loved them anyway........a couple of times the tall guy beat me with his height......but I can go low.......so I won a few that way........yep, something I am proud of I am sad to admit.......lol......I made Tom wear half the beads as there was so many........he looked nice!!!

So after the parade......yep, it was busy with everyone heading out the same way.......we decided we weren't hungry as we had eaten quite a lot today.......but we did not feel ready to go back home to bed yet.......for our first full day we felt quite good......sometimes the tiredness hits us like a brick wall on trips, usually the second day. But for now we felt like sitting at a bar and listening to some music......

So Margaritaville was our bar of choice..........of course we really had to work our way through the crowds........most were stopping for the mandatory picture beside the globe.........always nice to see but its hard to avoid walking through someone`s shot as it really was so busy.......but we made it over and fortunately we found a few empty seats at the bar tonight......

Our favourite bar tender was on.......he`s been here for years and calls me Scotland........lol.....came form years ago he asked if I was from England.......I indignantly pulled myself up to my full height.....and said I am not, I`m Scottish.......of course we do live in England.......I then had to explain to a guy sat beside us what the difference was between Scotland England Wales and Northern Ireland and how we were unitedly called Great Britain.......he still said so you`re from "English" or are you from the UK.......I gave up at that point........he`d had a few.........

So once we said our hello`s we ordered.......Tom was sticking to beer.......and I was having my favourite cocktail at Universal.....the Blackberry Margarita.......I love this drink!!!!!

i-XkMWJwm-XL.jpg

i-Ghn6rKT-XL.jpg

Our barmen are so much fun.......they work incredibly hard at keeping everyone happy........and we are having fun sitting here and everyone chats to you.......one of the good things about sitting at the bar........

Of course the volcano has to blow on occasion.........

i-TXQvJFg-XL.jpg

i-KXk7Tpk-XL.jpg

It was quite busy now..........and we had decided to have another drink.......oh dear........we are real cocktail fiends......(ok I am) so I had another of Shaun`s famous margaritas...........they are incredibly drinkable I have to say.........

I also forgot to mention it was now cold. I had put my hoodie on as the parade began......I was glad I had agreed to bring one as I had resisted with my usual response of I`ll be fine........but I can listen sometimes............and I was glad.

i-xtNsnf2-XL.jpg

It was now midnight and we had found our new lease of life for tonight.......so that meant another drink........

We also love sangria........so we asked Shaun how his sangria was and he said........you decide..........

i-D9VGrSf-XL.jpg

It was good!!!! We both had one.......just hope we didn't regret it in the morning..........

The music was good and we were having so much fun.........for that hour or so I became a good singer.........:rotfl:

But eventually, it was time to go.......we put the hoods up on our hoodies and promised Shaun we`d see him again this trip.......and we trundled off the short walk back home......although at this point I`d wished the little Rickshaws were still around to get us a little further on.......lol.....we weren't that bad.......

Few minutes and we were back in our room........drank a little bottle of water the turndown guy had left and got straight into bed......now I was tired. Tom was already sleeping!!! I swear he brushed his teeth asleep.........

But, we had enjoyed a lovely full first day at the resort.......and we were so looking forward to the rest of the trip.

Nice pictures! The one thing I've noticed now that I've been to the Disney and Universal parks so much is that we never looked up- does that sound weird? i mean there are so many details on the buildings and when you're in a hurry to get from point A to B you just look ahead and don't look up to see all the details. Your pictures are the details in "looking up!"

I'm taking notes on all the cocktails! They look amazing! The sangria looks great! We've tried different sangrias and some are just too much mixed together and don't taste very good! But yours looks good-and you said it tasted good too! I'm in.

Nice pictures! The one thing I've noticed now that I've been to the Disney and Universal parks so much is that we never looked up- does that sound weird? i mean there are so many details on the buildings and when you're in a hurry to get from point A to B you just look ahead and don't look up to see all the details. Your pictures are the details in "looking up!"
A lightbulb went on when I just read your post. That's exactly it!!!

Thanks....I have so many pictures over the years from looking up......not just in Potter......in the windows of the buildings around the Studios there are loads of little quirky signs to see.........

But, yes, I think if you are in a hurry it`s not always easy to notice little details.........

I'm taking notes on all the cocktails! They look amazing! The sangria looks great! We've tried different sangrias and some are just too much mixed together and don't taste very good! But yours looks good-and you said it tasted good too! I'm in.

Haven`t found a bad one yet.......:D

Confisco Grill do a nice sangria......they don't advertise the pitcher anymore but if you ask very nicely they will make you one up......and one bar guy in particular makes the best one yet in there!!! Not as good as mine at home of course.....but decent. :)

All of the cocktails do look amazing! I ordered the Blackberry Margarita last May and it was yummy. I actually had 2 :rolleyes1 but felt like I needed a proper nap after being out in the sun. So I went back to RPR and took one while DH and DD went to the pool. Evidently I'm a cheap date, according to my husband.

I am excited to try Jake's on our next trip. I was showing our son (also a one and only) the pictures and when he found out that the theme of the restaurant is aviation based...he was sold. And from looking at the pictures...I think that I am sold on the flaming volcano/tiki bowl drink!

[/QUOTE]
And the good thing is we like so many of the same things........:thumbsup2
And the good thing is we like so many of the same things........:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter