10 NIGHTS RPR...MARDI GRAS & COCKTAILS....MARCH 2018 TRIP

:worship:Yay another adventure of Carole and Tom!!! I'm a bit late to the party, I need to retire like Tom so I have more time for trip reports but even though I'm lots older than he I get bored easily so work it is. (plus it keeps me out of trouble:rolleyes1).
I'm so weird, I LOVE the pictures on the plane and of the plane food...I hate flying though. Speaking of being searched......my 90 year old mother was searched, swabbed down, patted down TWICE when we flew home from her Birthday celebration. I told her she should have walked through but they didn't really give her the chance to get out of the travel chair we use (she tells everyone she has a bad knee from an old football injury...actually it was a cooking incident...long story:rotfl2:.
Glad you got to see some old friends right away and LOVE your room and the great view. Looking forward to more!!

Your photos are amazing! We really loved Jake's when we were there last May. The pretzel rod thingies were so good too! Can't wait to read more! :)

Thanks so much!!

I`ve never tried the pretzel rods but everyone tells me how good they are.......I think because I don't really like pretzels that I wont like them......but Tom had a burger with a pretzel bun somewhere else and it was lovely..........

So maybe one time I`ll have to have a go..........:thumbsup2

:worship:Yay another adventure of Carole and Tom!!! I'm a bit late to the party, I need to retire like Tom so I have more time for trip reports but even though I'm lots older than he I get bored easily so work it is. (plus it keeps me out of trouble:rolleyes1).
I'm so weird, I LOVE the pictures on the plane and of the plane food...I hate flying though. Speaking of being searched......my 90 year old mother was searched, swabbed down, patted down TWICE when we flew home from her Birthday celebration. I told her she should have walked through but they didn't really give her the chance to get out of the travel chair we use (she tells everyone she has a bad knee from an old football injury...actually it was a cooking incident...long story:rotfl2:.
Glad you got to see some old friends right away and LOVE your room and the great view. Looking forward to more!!

:welcome:

Lovely to see you back for this one too..........late or not you are welcome.........we`ve just arrived.......lol......

Yes, keeping out of trouble is a good reason to stay working, but we can definitely recommend retiring.............oh the story of you mother sounds interesting!!! Love her general response to her injury.......:rotfl:

Nice to have you along again........:wave2:

THURSDAY 15TH MARCH

I did wake up a few times during the night and had a look out and saw the parks all lit up and Dr Doom was still purple.......Tom seemed to sleep through, but he did say he was up once and I didn't budge so I must have been out for the count. I love the beds here, so comfy and I know some people find the pillows too soft....but I love them....although at home our pillows are firmer, but still soft if that makes sense......but we did feel we got a decent sleep despite it being our first night.

We got up at 6.45am and had another very refreshing shower.......the products are lovely, but this time I was going to buy my own shampoo and 3 minute miracle worker as it didn't seem to rinse very well from my abundance of fake blonde hair........but I`d buy that later today. I love Aussie shampoo, the stuff you get in America.....it`s very different to the Aussie we get in the UK and around half the price too.

It was so lovely to be back. Drying my hair and straightening while Tom was in the shower I glanced out and saw it was a beautiful day outside.......we had yearned for this since December. Although the forecast was cool. Very cool compared to what we are used to in Orlando. But it wasn't a surprise really. We knew what the temps were going to be, although it was a little colder than normal and we were told by several people we brought the cooler weather with us....lol.........

Some folks ask how we can share a hotel room for so long......usually folks who have villas or some kind of rental home ask this......the answer is we just can.......we don't get on each others nerves and we have always enjoyed spending an inordinate amount of time together.....so it`s not a hardship........we enjoy it. I find it funny when folks say they can`t stand being so closed up with their families for such a long time.....but each to their own..........it suits us just fine.

So, once we were dressed we headed up to the Club Lounge for breakfast........it was quiet when went in and we were delighted to see young Andy in there........he is one of our favourites along with Sam. We had a massive hug and he said they were so excited to see us again......he is such a nice young man.......

We found our usual seat by the window, he joked they should get a reserved sign for us for that table........lol.......we had a very simple breakfast of toast and grape jelly for me followed by a little mini donut and mini blueberry muffin.....Tom had croissants and honey........and coffee. We chatted to Andy between him working around the lounge........he asked if we liked strawberries......we said yes we did......and he then brought us out a lovely plate of freshly cut strawberries........how lovely!!! I had noticed what looked like mother daughter and granddaughter sitting a bit away from us.......they seemed to be watching us for some reason, but maybe it was because every member of the team gave us a big hug when they saw us........anyway, as soon as we had the strawberries......the G`mother immediately sent the child of around 10 to get some strawberries as "well you go get some as they have them" so bless the little soul she was sent up to ask, of course she got some but it looked a little funny.

We chatted amiably for a while as we were in no rush to go anywhere today.......this was going to be a very relaxing trip, with almost no schedules and only a few definite plans. I was going to email a couple of folks we wanted to meet up with. Sadly two friends couldn't make the dates we were free but we did manage to meet one old friend.

Eventually we left telling them how lovely it was to be back again. We went down to our room and met our lovely housekeeper again, Faithlynn.......she is just the nicest lady and we always talk to her and pass time talking to her. She is pleased to see us. We told her we`d be back in March but she hadn't remembered the dates........we chatted briefly and dropped some stuff off in the room and headed downstairs to do a few things.

First off was thank Sam who was at the downstairs concierge desk, told him we had loved the chowder. He was glad, as there`s nothing worse than recommending a dish to someone and they don't like it........but we loved it.

We had been given the gift of AP`s in December. But we had to go and change them as we had been given season passes by mistake, so we just had to swap them out for the Preferred Pass........we managed to do this at the hotel, although I`ve heard some folks haven't been able to do that. But it only took a few minutes to change them for the ones we were supposed to be given.

Then another favourite young man, Bryson was there.......he came straight over when he saw us and we always get the biggest hugs from him........we had a brief catch up as he was due to start work but it`s always lovely to see folks again you have a genuine connection with. We waved to a couple that we knew briefly as we headed out......we were going to enjoy the joys and beauty of Walmart first.

Walmart on Turkey Lake Road is a short 5 minute drive away........and as we set out the big doors we immediately felt the chill. It was cool.....but this was Orlando I refused to wear a jacket.......I`d brave the cool........even Tom mentioned it was chilly......but the sun was shining so we would be fine.

Tom drove this morning and we were there in no time again marveling at how at home and familiar this place was to us by now......as it should be.......we have stayed exclusively at RPR since 2009. This road used to be so much quieter years ago.

But into Walmart and we picked up a few things, sunscreen, Aussie shampoo and miracle worker, Pepperidge Farm cookies......a huge strawberry and kiwi bottle of Snapple......my favourite and few other bits and bobs........I don't think we have ever been less than $100 in here every trip..........so we headed back to the car and decided not to stop off at the hotel and drop the stuff off......we would just go straight to Mall at Millenia.

We love this mall......we spend a few visits here every trip.......there are less tourists here (I know) and it`s just a nicer place to shop than some other malls........and of course they have Tiffany and Cheesecake Factory......no difference there. But no jewellery this visit for me.......I had my eye on something else for this trip.

I wanted a new bag. But the brand I wanted definitely splits opinion of those who love them and those who just don't like them.......I can see both points of view. What I don't understand is folks who say they can`t understand why anyone would want one of them........and generally try and make you feel bad for getting one..........I liked them and that was all that mattered to us.

So we went into Louis Vuitton and had a good look around........I had looked online and had a couple that I thought I might like.......a very lovely lady came up and asked if she could help us.........so I told her the name of the three bags I was considering.......she said no problem they had them all in stock. I like when staff are friendly and welcoming in any store, and like Tiffany these guys were super nice......of course they do work commission. But, nice is nice..........I know a few people had mentioned not feeling particularly welcome in some stores and felt uncomfortable, but we have never, ever felt that anywhere. This lady was lovely and asked a few general questions of what I was looking for in a bag......I was honest and said just a bag I can use........I don't believe a bag is anything more than a bag......its not a lifestyle, and I hoped she didn't start to oversell it to me........but she didn't......so she showed me the three I liked and I immediately discounted two of them.......so that left me with the one I had seen first.........isn't that usually the way.........of course Tom joked it was the most expensive one.......but, to me it was the nicest. And it had purple lining in the inside.........decision made. So I got it.

Purchase made we headed out for lunch with the biggest bag for a bag ever......it was in a big box too which was pretty.......and I thought about luggage space getting it home......I think it would take up most of one suitcase, and I could pad it around with clothes........

But we were now hungry........I thanked Tom for buying me such a lovely bag and of course he said his usual line that I deserve it.......awwww.........

So into Cheesecake Factory.........as always it was busy......it was now 12.30ish I believe........we asked for a table for two and were immediately taken to a tiny cramped table stuck in a corner........nope, we asked if we could get another table that wasn't cramped in a corner.......I`m sure she wasn't thrilled but took us back and we did indeed get a better table.....by the window and I had room to sit my new big bag down...........priorities.

Jonathon came over and we ordered a strawberry lemonade for Tom, this is really one of the nicest strawberry lemonades around........in saying that I`m on vacation and wasn't driving so I got a Passion fruit Margarita but in a tall glass as he explained it usually came in a martini glass..........then we began to peruse the huge, huge menu.........there are so many items on here, and to be honest we didn't know what we fancied having.........

i-dQXCQRM-XL.jpg

We nibbled on the bread until we decided what we would have......the bread is nice in here too..........

i-BB5pf9G-XL.jpg

We decided to share Nashville hot chicken nuggets and club sandwich with sweet potato fries......I also asked for a side of jalapenos as sometimes things aren't as hot as they claim!!! We like spicy.........we didn't want to eat two massive meals, as meals there are huge.......so sharing a sandwich and an appetizer sounded good...........and looked good too when it arrived........

i-vKrtJ5m-XL.jpg

i-Dktbh4q-XL.jpg

And they both were lovely. Turkey was fresh and tasty and actually tasted of turkey........and I have to say the Nashville Hot chicken was just spicy enough for us.....could have been hotter of course.......but we really enjoyed it. It is so nice sitting there and watching the world go past coming in and out of the mall.......and of course we were in no rush to go anywhere.........I turned down a refill of the Margarita as we planned to go to Mardi gras later.........I`d prefer to wait till them.........

We eventually left and went back to the car. It felt a little strange not having heat like we are so used to from coming in September for so many times.......but the sun was warm and that was nice. The car park was incredibly busy right now and we exited as we left two people fighting over our place as it was incredibly close to the entrance.

Road works are dreadful. They have been for a while, but we knew the ramp down to I4 to get to the mall was closed, so were going to use another route to get there each visit........it doesn't take long. But, will be glad to see all these road works completed eventually......I`m sure it`ll be worth it and certainly locals will be glad to see it all finished.

We went back to the room so I could inspect my purchase and we wanted to chill out for an hour or so. We did try and see if Kyle was home but he wasn't.......his Skype was showing as away. So I glanced at my bag and of course took a few pictures.......I had promised a friend I`d send some pictures as she was after one too........not the exact same bag but similar.

i-Gr7JcwS-XL.jpg

i-dbSR6PM-XL.jpg

Yes, I was very happy with my new bag........of course I didn't want to use it yet.........I certainly wouldn't be trailing it around the park with it..........it`s funny I`m not someone who wears designer clothes or shoes, not fussed on anything like that........but I do love handbags!

So, we decided we would have a snooze as we both felt quite tired........so we did just that.........

When we woke were planning to head to our first experience of Mardi Gras............

Hi there! I just found your trip reports while doing some research for a trip and absolutely love it!. You keep mentioning the cold, what was the temperature? I'm curious what's cold in Orlando. I imagine I would think anything below 70.

Hi there! I just found your trip reports while doing some research for a trip and absolutely love it!. You keep mentioning the cold, what was the temperature? I'm curious what's cold in Orlando. I imagine I would think anything below 70.

Hey......and :welcome: supamaki :wave2:

Glad you found us.............

Well, we are used to September temps where we walk out early in the morning and it`s already in the 90`s and just keeps getting warmer........but the high that day was 72f, early AM was low 50 something......so decidedly colder than we are used to..........it did make the 80`s next 4 days which was lovely..........

We are from the UK so we cherish much warmer temperatures than we are used to.......we have even come to appreciate the heat that comes with humidity........yep, maybe a little crazy........but we have been visiting every year since 2007 so we think we have become acclimatized to the heat.......:D

Nice to have you along, hope you enjoy reading.........

Following along. Your trip reports are always the best!!

:welcome: too CoachZ........

And thank you........that is praise indeed!!!!

Hope it`s fun and a decent read..........nice to have you read along :wave2:

MARCH 15TH.........MARDI GRAS TIME.........

We have never experienced any type of Mardi Gras before........the only ones I had ever heard of were in New Orleans and people who bared certain parts of their body for beads.......lol.......now that sounds like a different type of MG.........so we were very excited when we decided to come and visit during March that we would get to experience UOR version of MG........

We had heard so many good things about it, and a few negatives too. A few years back the crowds for a concert were awful and it seemed a lot of people were very uncomfortable........so we hoped we would avoid anything like that. I really don't like that feeling of being confined in a crowd and can`t go anywhere in any kind of emergency. I think it stems from the industry we were in.......before you were shown anything when you went into a new building the first thing you were shown were your emergency exits. And to this day if I go anywhere new, I still find myself scanning for how I`d get out in an emergency.....sounds over dramatic maybe, but when it`s droned into you find an escape route, after 15 years of that it tends to stick. So I`ve rambled again.........lol......

When we saw the list of concerts, I am quite embarrassed to say, I had heard of two groups, till JessieJ was announced......even though I know her name, I couldn't pick her out of a crowd of two. But, we knew Beach Boys and Foreigner........growing up in the 80`s Foreigner had some tremendous love ballads which are still magnificent today.......so I thought we may try and go see them.......but for today we just wanted to have a mooch around and see the parade, and generally try and catch some beads I imagine.........beads??? Really..........what was I thinking.......

So, we went down to get the boat and I had on a warmer dress and was carrying my hoodie.......I would wait till it was really chilly before I put that on!!! Tom however had his on. So down to the boat and we saw immediately the changes that had been made since December.......the lady statue at the waiting area for the boat was gone.....and it was a full search and scan area.......ideal really and very quick to do.

i-Fhdb3QS-XL.jpg

I do miss the statue a little........but this is better........

We waited a few moments for the boat.....and this is what I love about the boats.......you never wait long for one....well, we haven't......they run pretty regular........we usually get the boat if we`re going to the Studios and walk to IOA, it is so quick to walk from there......around 7 minutes for us.....and we don't walk particularly in a rush.....regular pace.

It`s nice to be back on the boat, we do like this little ride and we are soon pulling into Citywalk......and it looks vibrant.......busy in other words.......we had been told about how busy Spring break is, and we were a little concerned, but it was fine really. So we went through the gates, through the shop and headed straight for the Minion ride........the regular line was long, can`t remember how long but maybe 90 something minutes......we walked straight on with EP....we were lucky they were just loading that line. So in we went for the very familiar pre-pre show for Minions......

We got through and the pre show stalled.......so we were entertained by the TM who began asking questions.....most knew most of them.....then he asked some much older referenced questions.......and smart mouthed me knew them all......lol......he was very funny and commented I must have been visiting for a long time.......he did make the pause fun. He spoke to Tom and I and the couple beside us who we would have been sharing a pod with.......he asked if we`d mind waiting when everyone else went through as someone had thrown up in the pod.......we kinda looked at one another and reluctantly agreed.....I really wanted to leave and go back in...but Tom said the pod would probably be cleaner than the others as they would have been scrubbed down......so we agreed........TM asked if we had EP and we all said we did.......he was going to give us an EP each.........I asked him if I could still have them and planned to give them to someone waiting in line.....he looked at me and said of course that's a nice thing to do.......so I got 2 EP vouchers for the ride.........and I would do that when we came out.

So we eventually did get on the ride and our pod even smelled fresh.......and it was fun......we always enjoy this ride, it really brings a smile to our faces to go on it.......so we came off and walked back to the line and looked for a few seconds.......we saw a dad and his little girl of around 7 maybe look very hot and a little tired, they both had Minion tee shirts on.......so I went forward and asked the dad if he would like 2 EP tickets to get them on the ride without waiting.......honestly, his face lit up like a Christmas Tree........his little girl, who`s name I forget jumped for joy she didn't have to wait in line.........I will say the family beside them didn't look too happy......but, I only had two. He couldn't thank us enough and with big smiles on their faces headed to the EP line and we noticed they did indeed walk on. We were happy we could pay it forward just a little........

But, for us now it was time to begin MG..........but first RRR.........

We only did this once today as it was quite cool going so fast......I`m such a wimp......but, such a fun ride........and it was bumpy at the end, even on the front row.......we did see it go down a few times we were there, so maybe they had an issue........but one and done today.

We headed towards the area where everything is.......it looked fun......there were already stilt walkers in elaborate costumes walking around and entertaining people........and some nice looking food stalls........

i-HSWbNLD-XL.jpg

i-CLvBNpr-XL.jpg

i-DNHnr4G-XL.jpg

i-8JH4ShJ-XL.jpg

i-VX8nJcj-XL.jpg

i-NxfrFVC-XL.jpg

We wandered back to have a look at the food options........we planned to get a few of the items and just share them to see what they were like........we weren't overly hungry yet........

i-XGN4q7Q-XL.jpg

We had a vicious voodoo cocktail and it was nice, we didn't keep the glass as I don't want to carry it around with us......we never actually got around to having another one of these anyway......but it was nice........

We tried the Shrimp Po Boy......it was nice....we had plenty of shrimp in the bread bun and the sauce was nice.......then we opted for the shrimp gumbo which was nice but again I expect a little spice.....nowhere near enough..........I didn't get a picture of the gumbo for some reason......

We love this area of Studios, but it`s a smoking area and is quite smelly at times to walk through, so we generally don't anymore......but we sat down to eat and thankfully most of the smokers were further over the other side.........

i-Gs77VNC-XL.jpg

i-7m74VRx-XL.jpg

This are was quite lively and it was fun......I was already glad we had come to visit at this time........

i-Dh7gLhg-XL.jpg

i-5L87SBw-XL.jpg

i-bBNW84D-XL.jpg

i-88ZMXjH-XL.jpg

i-VfLc2Mz-XL.jpg

i-RWrcStN-XL.jpg

i-7NMjdTs-XL.jpg

i-9CcS2hQ-XL.jpg

The street entertainers were so good, and they were so good with little kids, and older kids too who wanted to dance........it was fun!!!

i-PTZpC5p-XL.jpg

i-95gsC5W-XL.jpg

i-fBWp2sX-XL.jpg

By now we were ready for a cocktail.........we had shared the one from Universal and it was nice, but time for the real good stuff........

I don't like Finnegans. The food isn't for me and I`m not that into the theme......but, many enjoy it.......I do however like their bar area and their cocktails have a real kick to them.......if you get the right barman........or even if you don't........:D

We told the girl at the door we were just going for a drink and we were very lucky to find 2 seats at the bar.....as usual it was busy......

i-BvmM3kd-XL.jpg

We ordered a Sam Adams for Tom and a Rum Neuralyzer for me.........Jim our barman has been there for a long time.......nice guy......and the measure he pours is always a good one........

i-HX682HJ-XL.jpg

We as always get chatting to folks just sitting around......everyone has a story and I love hearing folks stories.......where they`re from is always a good opener........one couple were from Canada and began moaning about the exchange rate......yeah we know ..........ours is dreadful right now too, but no point in banging on about it......it is what is........the other barman makes a joke about Canadians.....and says it`s fine as he is a Canadian........well that's ok then.........so the couple who were leaving aren't sure how to take the joke.....but eventually they get it......another couple sit down and we get chatting to them too........we could sit here all night actually.......the chat is good, the drinks are good........not much more to ask for really.........

We order another round and we get to the we`ll take your picture if you take ours........

i-9BtKLGJ-XL.jpg

It was a nice cocktail though and Tom enjoyed his beer..........and the second ones were even nicer.........

Eventually we left and had a wander round to Delancey Street......

i-cTBJLCF-XL.jpg

i-SKXQg6K-XL.jpg

There is a really cool store at the end.......you can also do surveys in here if asked on occasions..........they have some really obscure merchandise and some very cool tees........

i-vcm4WCZ-XL.jpg

i-St7p6bT-XL.jpg

i-x8RQK44-XL.jpg

We decided then to go into Louie`s which has some of the best theme park pizza around.......we usually get the pepperoni, but we were going to try the Mardi Gras special Cajun pizza.........

This was where I became invisible for the first time this time this trip.......I said excuse me to a lady as she was blocking the way in.....she turned from her conversation and looked at me and didn't move.......I did laugh and make a comment of being invisible.......she was oblivious......so we went round the long way and her son I believe did admonish her.......won`t make a difference I imagine.......but, we got in line and this is one line I don't like.........

People on dining plans never seem to know what`s included or even what they want....even after they order sometimes........and you have your pizza on a tray and its getting colder by the minute as people faff around and try to decide who`s paying for what..........I was being grumpy though......but every time it seems.........

And tonight was no different........so our giant sizzling pizza slice was getting cold, we got to pay and I asked for a fresh slice of pizza......told her it was cold. Not a problem at all........she asked if we wanted to keep the slice we had as well, we said no thanks.......so we got a new fresh slice and a bottle of water.......and pizza was hot........

i-LX7X72w-XL.jpg

We liked it well enough. But, it wasn't spicy and we still prefer their regular pepperoni......but we shared it and did enjoy it.........

We left their and wanted to head round to Potter.........only stopping to see how the F&F was getting on........we knew we weren't going to see any soft openings while we were there as it just wasn't quite ready, but we could still look in and see the shop of course......and a statue of a rather short Vin Diesel........

i-vDfR5Kb-XL.jpg

i-xZ96V4x-XL.jpg

i-dTZ86BT-XL.jpg

I kinda made Tom stand that way with the statue.......well, everyone else was doing it.........

I have never seen a F&F movie and don't plan to see one......but I will go on this ride to see what it`s like.......I`m sure it`ll be open by our May trip.........the store was quite decent and we saw a couple of mugs we would get.....Kyle would like the one that looks like tyre tread......

So now we headed on in to Potter to see how busy that was!!

Nice bag! Very roomy!
And the I-4 construction is endless! With our son living in Orlando this semester and our frequent trips there we vowed not to get on I-4 unless really necessary! We turned the highway option off of my phone map and are finding great side streets! Found a great way to get to Millenia Mall from HRH - no I-4!!
The food at the Islands looks wonderful! Will make it over there sometime in the next couple of trips this year!!

Nice bag! Very roomy!
And the I-4 construction is endless! With our son living in Orlando this semester and our frequent trips there we vowed not to get on I-4 unless really necessary! We turned the highway option off of my phone map and are finding great side streets! Found a great way to get to Millenia Mall from HRH - no I-4!!
The food at the Islands looks wonderful! Will make it over there sometime in the next couple of trips this year!!

Thanks.......I love my bag!!

Yes we often go Kirkman Rd then Vineland Rd and on to Conroy for Mall at Millenia.......well, it was the way we always came back from the mall for years, but since the roadworks it’s far easier to go both ways by those roads.......

We avoid the I4 like the plague..........

Yep, food is so good!!

Love the bag and it was nice of you to pay it forward on the minions ride. We used to do this at wdw when they had paper fastpass. It was fun to see the reactions.

That shrimp poboy is delicious, I got one the last time we went during MG.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter