10-month-old dog in heat

leahgoogle

DIS Veteran
Our 10-month-old dog is in heat and has had discharge since last friday. She is our first female dog. About how long can we expect the discharge to last. She is not thrilled about wearing the diapers...lol.

I just experienced this in August. It lasted about 3 weeks total. We were both miserable the whole time.

Oh boy! I guess I need to buy more diapers. This will thankfully be only heat she will experience.
The excessive laundry involved made my electric bill skyrocket for the month. I had 6 diapers and washed nightly, or the smell got too bad.

Well, you obviously missed that delaying spaying until after a year can help with hip, ligament and bone issues and certain cancers. Sometimes it can even prevent endocrine disorders.
Yup, that's why I had waited, too. My puppy's spay was scheduled for September and she went into heat at the end of July, which took me by surprise. Large dogs often don't go into heat earlier than a year and she was only 9-10 months. My older dog never went into heat before her spay at about a year.

Yup, that's why I had waited, too. My puppy's spay was scheduled for September and she went into heat at the end of July, which took me by surprise. Large dogs often don't go into heat earlier than a year and she was only 9-10 months. My older dog never went into heat before her spay at about a year.
I'm being lazy and using disposable diapers. She is a smaller breed dog so we knew she could start earlier, but we were hoping to get to the year mark.

Get her spayed and it will stop.
Vets don't like to spay when the dog is in heat, more risk of bleeding. They actually pushed my dog's spay back a few weeks because of her heat cycle just to make sure all of the swelling was gone before the surgery. She went into heat end of July, was originally scheduled to be spayed in September, they pushed it back into October.

Vets don't like to spay when the dog is in heat, more risk of bleeding. They actually pushed my dog's spay back a few weeks because of her heat cycle just to make sure all of the swelling was gone before the surgery. She went into heat end of July, was originally scheduled to be spayed in September, they pushed it back into October.
Good to know, thanks! I will definitely call my vet and let them know and ask when I should schedule her for surgery.

It increases the risk of mammary tumors and false pregnancy's. Which is what happened with our last dog. We thought we would breed her. Our current dog with had spayed at 7 months. I did a lot of research on it pros and cons and decided it wasn't worth it for us to wait.

It increases the risk of mammary tumors and false pregnancy's. Which is what happened with our last dog. We thought we would breed her. Our current dog with had spayed at 7 months. I did a lot of research on it pros and cons and decided it wasn't worth it for us to wait.
But spaying too early, before the bones are mature, increases the risk of bone cancer. And bone cancer is much harder to treat.

But spaying too early, before the bones are mature, increases the risk of bone cancer. And bone cancer is much harder to treat.
The vet at the shelter here where I volunteer always recommends waiting for many reasons. I don't know them all but I do remember that bone cancer was on the list.

Well, you obviously missed that delaying spaying until after a year can help with hip, ligament and bone issues and certain cancers. Sometimes it can even prevent endocrine disorders.
That is what our vet recommends as well.
We've had mostly male dogs, however many of our fosters (we foster for a rescue) are mill mamas, so I feel your pain in dealing with this. Good luck!

There is a risk either way. You have to do what works best for your family. If you board an intact dog they won't let them socialize. My golden that got spayed at 3 months lived to 17. The one I got spayed at 18 months had cancer, false pregnancy and all kinds of health issues. Only made it 8 years. The spaying most likely has nothing to do with either case. It could all be genetics.

Keeping your dog a healthy weight is probably one of the best things you can do for your dog. I see so many obese dogs. It's sad.

That is what our vet recommends as well.
We've had mostly male dogs, however many of our fosters (we foster for a rescue) are mill mamas, so I feel your pain in dealing with this. Good luck!
Thank you for fostering! My heart breaks for mill mamas!

There is a risk either way. You have to do what works best for your family. If you board an intact dog they won't let them socialize. My golden that got spayed at 3 months lived to 17. The one I got spayed at 18 months had cancer, false pregnancy and all kinds of health issues. Only made it 8 years. The spaying most likely has nothing to do with either case. It could all be genetics.

Keeping your dog a healthy weight is probably one of the best things you can do for your dog. I see so many obese dogs. It's sad.
Yeah, Goldens are very prone to cancer in general. We've just been following our vet's advice for each dog, as it evolves. It used to be spay early to avoid mammary cancers, now it's shifted to spay later to avoid bone cancer.
We had one dog who died at 13 from liver disease. She was probably a puppy mill dog (from a mall pet store), but it was the early 90s and we didn't know any better. She had the worst teeth.
Our next two were mutts. Elke made it to 16+, until a broken hip and suspected tumor on her leg bone. Dexter lived to 17+, no major issues. We just had to put him to sleep last week, but it was old age and arthritis. Both were 60-70lb dogs, so impressively old for their size.

Yeah, Goldens are very prone to cancer in general. We've just been following our vet's advice for each dog, as it evolves. It used to be spay early to avoid mammary cancers, now it's shifted to spay later to avoid bone cancer.
We had one dog who died at 13 from liver disease. She was probably a puppy mill dog (from a mall pet store), but it was the early 90s and we didn't know any better. She had the worst teeth.
Our next two were mutts. Elke made it to 16+, until a broken hip and suspected tumor on her leg bone. Dexter lived to 17+, no major issues. We just had to put him to sleep last week, but it was old age and arthritis. Both were 60-70lb dogs, so impressively old for their size.
I have a lab now. She's 3, healthy and nutso hyper like most labs. She was also bread to hunt so she's high energy+++.I want another to get another lab. I can't seem to talk my husband into putting another energy ball in the house. We just put our 15 year old rescue chihuahua down. He kept her in line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter