10 Hour Wait at LAX - What should we do?

SnowWhite09

DIS Veteran
I hope someone can help us. We have a 10hour wait at LAX and we wanted to do something while we wait. Does anyone have any suggestions on where we could go and what we can do with our bags? We had thought about either going to Hollywood & Highland or DL for the day, but don't want to take all of our luggage with us unless there is somewhere to store it when we get there.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! :goodvibes

Is it a 10 hour lay over? Of so, won't the airline hold your bags? You should never even see them. :confused:

Is it a 10 hour lay over? Of so, won't the airline hold your bags? You should never even see them. :confused:

With checked baggage prices, I wouldn't be surprised if that were an issue. And if they're coming in from Australia, bags would have to go through customs first and then checked in again. I remember meeting a relative who was coming back home to Seattle through SFO and wanted to have lunch with us. He had to go through customs and check in for his flight to Seattle, although the layover was more like 4 hours.

I've dealt with bags that were left on the carousel too long after an international flight. There was paperwork and it had to be retrieved from a certain area.

I hate that I can't see where people are feom when I'm in my phone.

With checked baggage prices, I wouldn't be surprised if that were an issue. And if they're coming in from Australia, bags would have to go through customs first and then checked in again. I remember meeting a relative who was coming back home to Seattle through SFO and wanted to have lunch with us. He had to go through customs and check in for his flight to Seattle, although the layover was more like 4 hours.

I've dealt with bags that were left on the carousel too long after an international flight. There was paperwork and it had to be retrieved from a certain area.

We have never had to check our baggage in again upon arrival in the US from the UK - the last couple of times though we went via London Heathrow first (BA) -second time was pretty cool as we went via Dublin and they did US customs thing on Irish soil Aer Lingus).

We have travelled indirect a few times going to Orlando though and luggage checked right through - wonder if its changed - we will soon find out when we travel to LAX via ATL in September (Delta all the way)

We have never had to check our baggage in again upon arrival in the US from the UK - the last couple of times though we went via London Heathrow first (BA) -second time was pretty cool as we went via Dublin and they did US customs thing on Irish soil Aer Lingus).

We have travelled indirect a few times going to Orlando though and luggage checked right through - wonder if its changed - we will soon find out when we travel to LAX via ATL in September (Delta all the way)

US Customs and Border Protection claims that the first port of arrival must be where customs clearance takes place. I believe one of the issues is that connecting flights are often domestic and don't arrive at a terminal with customs. If it's single plane, there could be a difference.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...eler-clear-u.s.-customs-and-border-protection

At what point during a traveler's trip to the U.S. does a traveler clear U.S. Customs and Border Protection?

If the final destination is in the U.S. and the first port of arrival is in the U.S., travelers must clear immigration and customs at the first port of entry.

If a connection is involved, the traveler will not be required to go through another clearance when they arrive at their final destination.

The strange thing is that the last time we went to Disneyland, we flew SFO-SNA. At San Francisco, boarding was at the international terminal, with its long lines at security. I checked the flight number, and apparently the aircraft came directly from Mexico, which is why it was at the international terminal.

US Customs and Border Protection claims that the first port of arrival must be where customs clearance takes place. I believe one of the issues is that connecting flights are often domestic and don't arrive at a terminal with customs. If it's single plane, there could be a difference.

Yes to clarify though, we have always gone through customs on arrival in the States but just not had to collect our luggage from the carousel and rechecked back in - they have (the cases that is) have always been checked in straight through

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter