10 Days On/2 Days Off?

kasar

DIS Veteran
Is anyone familiar with the Mayo Clinic diet (not sure it it's really from the actual Mayo Clinic or if they just use the name?). My in-laws just lost a lot of weight using this diet. It's similar to other low-carb diets but it's very strict on what types of food are eaten at what time. The catch here is that you are supposed to be strict for 10 days and then take a break for 2 days (free days - anything goes!). The theory here is that those 2 days kick start your metabolism causing quicker weight loss.

I don't think I'm going to try it, but it sure worked for them. It's a bit too gimmick-y for me for any long term success but I just thought that the 2day kick start seemed kind of interesting. (I did have a drop in weight after getting back on plan after Turkey Day). Just wondering if anyone's ever heard of this.

I've heard of it and I think someone at my office is doing it (someone in another department). I'll ask around, but you'll probably get a response here faster (as I tend to forget anything 'personal' the minute I walk in the door at work!).

I've never heard of this. Let us know how it's working for them, OK?

I have heard that your body does adjust to the usual number of calories you eat every day so occasionally it's good to bump up the calorie intake to bump up your metabolism.

I havent heard of that either but I thought I invented it! lol
It seems that that is my routine!
Accidently I mean. I am good for about 9 10 days and then I go nuts for a day or two. I am losing weight at a good pace. I posted something a few weeks ago about long weight in bulk..... and I bleieve ther was a response along the lines of doign wel then eating whatever and it doing somethign to your metabolism.
try searching the web. Id like to know to......
sounds like my kind of plan! lol
renee :crazy:

When I did a google search I found that the Mayo Clinic does NOT endorse this diet and are quite upset that it is associated with their name. Supposedly the combination of foods is what makes you lose the weight quickly (grapefruit juice, tomato juice, etc). My inlaws lost a lot of weight but they are very disciplined people, they just can do it easily. Unlike most of us with our excuses, TOM, emotional eating, etc.

It may be worth a try, but I think I'll stick with Atkins for now.

The New Mayo Clinic Diet

(taken directly from a diet given by an M.D. - originally given to heart patients to lose weight for by-pass surgery)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. At any meal, you may eat until you are full, or until you cannot eat anymore.

2. Don't eliminate anything from the diet, especially don't skip the bacon at breakfast or omit salads ... it is the combination of foods that burns fat.

3. The grapefruit is important because it acts as a catalyst that starts the burning process.

4. Cut down on coffee, it affects the insulin balance that hinders the burning process. Try to omit 1 cup at mealtime.

5. Don't eat between meals. If you eat the combination of fodd suggested, you will not get hungry.

6. Important: The diet completely eliminates sugars and starches which are lipids and form fat.

7. Fat does not form fat. It helps burn it so you can fry foods in butter and use butter generously on vegetables.

8. Do not eat desserts, breads, and white vegetables or sweet potatoes. You may have double or triple helpings of meats, salads, or vegetables. Eat until you are stuffed. The more you eat, the more weight you will lose!

9. You can lose 10 pounds in 10 days. There will be no loss the first four days, but you will lose 5 pounds on the 5th day and 1 1/2 pounds every two days until you are where you want to be.

10. Twelve days on the diet ... and then take 2 days off.

11. All soft drinks need to be diet and caffeine free

12. You may not have white onions, potatoes, celery

13. You may have:

red onions
cucumbers
spinach leaf
carrots
bell peppers
broccoli
lettuce
tomatoes
radishes
green onions
cabbage
green beans
14. You can have all the cheese you want except cottage cheese.

BREAKFAST:

1/2 grapefruit or unsweetened grapefruit juice
2 eggs any style
2 slices bacon

LUNCH:

salad and any dressing
meat, any style, any amount

DINNER:

meat, any style, any amount ... fish may be substituted
vegetable, any green or red (cooked in butter or any seasoning) or salad as above

Coffee or tea ... 1 cup

Bedtime snack - 8 oz. glass of tomatoes juice or skim milk.

In 2 1/2 months, you should lose 52 pounds.

NOTE: for faster success ... add THE DIET SECRET!

Click here to return to the home page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 1999, 2000 Anlage, Inc. All rights reserved.

Anlage, Inc.
Internet Double Bonus Offer
P.O. Box 7445
Shrewsbury, NJ 07702

email: info@weight-loss-diet.com

This sounds very much like the old grapefruit diet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter