• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10-13-01 cruise

Denine

I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny
Here is my trip report to the best of my ability. Myself (33) and DH (35). Third Disney cruise. This was for our 10th wedding anniversary.

Saturday: Arrived at the port around 10AM. The gates don't open until 10:30, so we parked in the day parking lot until the gates opened. Boarding started at 12:15 PM. Our cabin was ready. so we dropped off our stuff and headed to Palos to make reservations for dinner and brunch. We were put on the waiting list for high tea, but never got to go. We then headed up to Topsiders for lunch. We decided to go on the spa tour since we had never been. I really wanted a facial, but was afraid because I have rosacea, and I didn't want to irritate it. Ellen explained that it would be great for my face and she could make a special concoction for my face. So I signed up for the La Therapie facial and we each got weekly passes for the rain forest. Pretty soon it was time for the safety drill and then the sail away party with all our DIS friends. We had late seating for dinner. We were at a table for 6 and the other 2 couples were also DVC members and previous cruisers. We had Adrian (Romania) and Alvin (Phillipines) for our servers. They were the best we had had on our 3 Disney cruises.

Sunday: We decided to look at what shore excursions were available. We were originally going to explore St. John on our own, but found and eco hike available. So we signed up for it. This was also the first formal night. DH rented a tux and looked fantastic. Tonight was the dessert buffet. I have never seen so many desserts. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven!

Monday: Brunch day. We had Salvatore for our server. Brunch was fantastic. You have to do it! I don't know what else to say.

Tuesday: St. Maarten. I had my facial in the morning. Absolutely wonderful. My face was much less red after than before. Ellen did write out a description and price for 3 items she thought would benefit me. There was no pressure to but anything. I did purchase 2 of the items because I wanted to know if they would really help my face. We then went into St. Maarten to do some shopping. We spent more than our $400 dollar per person limit. I bought 2 pairs of earrings and DH bought a ring. It was much nicer than when we were there 2 years ago.

Wednesday: St. Thomas. We were up early for immigration. We had an early excursion and were supposed to be at the Walt Disney Theater at 6:30 AM. We got there about 10 minutes early and close up in line. Once immigration got there, we were done in 5 minutes. We were late leaving for our eco hike on St. John. If you like to hike or love nature you should go on this hike. It was pretty hilly and muddy (after 2 back to back tropical depressions), but we got to spend an hour at Honeymoon beach afterward. Very refreshing. We didn't have much time left before we had to get back on the ship, so we stopped at Wendy's for a frosty and looked around Havensight mall for a bit. Tonight was Palo night. We had Louise for our server. I can't wait for our next cruise, so we can go back. We spent 2-1/2 hours there. We had 4 appetizers between us and 3 entrees, plus the famous chocolate souffle. The food was fabulous.

Thursday: We were exhausted. We spent the day relaxing. Today is the second formal night (technically semi formal). DH wore his tux again, he also wore it to Palo for dinner. Lobster night! I ate 2 lobster tails. Wonderful. We also had our wine tasting party with our DIS friends. We each brought 1-2 bottles of wine and our hosts (WDWgoose) ordered cheese and cracker platters from room service as well as wine glasses. It was a very nice evening, even if we were all too full for the cheese and crackers.

Friday: Castaway day. Third time is a charm. The previous 2 times we had been there it was cold and rainy. Today was absolutely beautiful. Gotta try the Konch Kooler, fantastic!

Saturday: They made us get off the ship this morning, but we were headed to WDW for 3 days so we didn't mind too much. Besides, we had already made our next booking on the Magic while we were on board.

Our stateroom host was Erwin from the Phillipines. He was excellent and we had towel animals every night. The Rainforest was so relaxing. We spent a lot of time there. I hope that is everything. Any questions, just ask.

Great trip report, Denine. We also had Salvatore for our brunch on Sunday. He was really nice. He introduced us to his brother Marco, also a server in Palo's. They are saving to purchase a coffee/pastry shop in their home town in Sicily.

We loved meeting everyone for our wine tasting party. My DH loved the Breitenbach Wine you brought, and I've ear marked their web site.:D

Was High Tea so booked up that you couldn't get in?? Are there fewer people allowed there, or some other circumstances?? We plan to do a Palo dinner and brunch at least but High Tea would be fun too. Was the ship crowded? Sounds like you had a great trip, thanks for sharing with us.

We had Marco for our brunch!

Northsouth, we were also wait-listed for high tea and never got a call. We sat at a table for ten and nobody there was able to get high tea reservations.

From our understanding, you are only allowed to book for brunch and dinner or tea and dinner. You will be waitlisted for the tea or brunch.

We were on the wait list for High Tea also, but never got a call. We did have the great fortune to do brunch twice, though

Some said that if you show up and ask if there are any cancellations, that they very often will seat you.:D

Great report, Denine. Makes me feel as if I was there. Wait a minute - I WAS there! ;)

We also had Marco as our server for brunch. Best brunch I have ever had, hands-down. Awesome!

I've been wanting to do a trip report too, but reality keeps making me do other things! Besides, I have a video to complete. :)

'Beano'

As soon as we got on the ship we went right to Palo's. DCL tried to herd us to the dining areas because they said Palo wasn't open yet but I knew better! Sure enough they were open and taking reservations when I got there. We got dinner and brunch reservations and were put on a waiting list for high tea (4th on the list). I couldn't believe we were on a waiting list since we went there right away to make reservations but when I went to high tea I understood why. There are only a handful of tables available for high tea- no more than about 10 tables, maybe more like 6. When we were at brunch on Sunday they came up to us and asked us if we wanted high tea that afternoon. We said "yes" and I'm glad we did when I saw how few people were allowed at high tea. On Wed. I asked to be put on a waiting list for the last day of brunch which was the next day (Thurs) and I got a call that night. So we ate brunch twice. Do not miss the Palo experience!!! The food and service are superb!!! As soon as you get on the ship, go right to Palo's to make reservations. Don't make any other stops. The food was tempting in the dining area but I was on a mission and I knew lunch would still be available when I finished my mission. The we headed to the spa to reserve open air cabana massages on Castaway Cay. They were sitting at a table in front of the spa and said they would be taking reservations in 20 min and it was okay if we went to eat. We said "No, we'll wait here" and the girl then said she would go ahead and book our massages!!!

Sounds like we all had a wonderful cruise! Brunch twice, maybe on the next cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter