1 piece of luggage??

A rule of thumb I try to stick to is this: lay out your planned clothes and cut in half. I find when I do this I always have more than enough. I do laundry when we stay 3 nights at a hotel (usually through the hotel laundry service or a local place that will pick-up and deliver). No more than 3 pairs of shoes (maybe 4 if you need workout shoes).

I also use packing cubes. They help me stay organized while travelling.

A few years ago my daughter and I travelled in Europe for 2 weeks with just a carry-on each and I never felt that we were short clothes.

I much prefer having a few carefully curated outfits to over-packing.

That’s amazing, 2 weeks with just a carry on is very impressive! :worship:I’ll be happy to get through 2 weeks with just 1 piece of luggage!

I also remind myself that if I forget something, or leave it and really wish I had it, I'll be able to buy it. I figure if I need something, the locals will need it too, and it will be available.

That’s very true. I always try to pack everything I’d need so I won’t have to buy, but if needed that’s another good approach to it.

I love planning packing!
We don't travel particularly light - but here are some tips I have figured out that help us do at most 1 bag per person:
- packing cubes
- rolling clothes - and rolling in packing cubes lets you jam in even more!
- suitcase no bigger than 25" so virtually no chance of violating a weight limit
- making sure almost every top goes with almost every bottom - a fun site is The Vivienne Files - I pick a 'color theme' for each trip - for Alaska it was blue/green/grey; for Rhine cruise it was pink/navy/grey
- willing to do some handwashing - DH and I have a lot of 'travel clothes' that are easy to wash and dry. You can find them at lots of price points - 32 degrees from Costco; Athleta; Old Navy Active; Columbia; Eddie Bauer
- watch the weight of things - shoes are the biggest challenge; and some clothes are surprisingly heavy/bulky
A couple of helpful/fun blogs are The Vivienne Files and Adventures with Sarah
Love these tips! I’ve heard of rolling clothes and using packing cubes. I’ll have to try it out next time and see how much of a difference it makes. I’m not sure the size of my luggage, but I’m sure it’s bigger because I’ve gotten close to being over the weight before (hence why I have a luggage scale, and why I travel with 2 lighter bags instead of one heavy bag lol). The color theme idea is also great, and it’ll definitely help with the shoes issue too! Thanks for the info, I’m going to check out those blogs!

Personally, the only way I can pack reasonably is to start to "stage" what I'm packing about a week or so ahead of time. But, except for essential things like my meds (which should never go in your checked bag anyways) I don't actually *pack* anything until the night before. This prevents me from endlessly saying "Well, maybe I'll just add this." or "Just one more pair of jeans." etc, etc. If I start actually packing too far ahead of time, I will end up packing my entire closet.

Sayhello
That is simple yet excellent idea that I never thought of before! Packing everything at once would certainly cut back on what I end up adding in all the time! :thanks:

I don't use packing cubes, but I *do* roll all my clothes, and it makes a HUGE difference in how much I can fit in my carry-on and in my checked bag. It's also good for protecting items that are more delicate or wrinkle easily, by rolling them inside of something else that is sturdier and doesn't wrinkle (I'll roll blouses inside of nightgowns and yoga pants, for example). I even roll my underwear.

Sayhello

I’ve never rolled my clothes but I’m willing to try it out. I’m glad to hear about the difference it makes! Hopefully with all this new information packing for an ABD (and any other future trip) will seem like a piece of cake!

My issue is that even if I don't pack much, DH and I are more Pooh sized with big feet, so our clothes take up a lot of room. And as our DDs get older, there is less room in their bags... And DH is famous for overpacking - like the trip to WDW where he wanted to bring a pair of shorts, three t-shirts, a long sleeved t-shirt, a nice shirt and a hoodie for each day! I was like - no, one long sleeved shirt, one hoodie total. Or the trip to London/Paris where he came home with an entire huge, old (pre-9/11) Samsonite suitcase with clothes he didn't even wear. Of course, bags were free then so checking three for the two of us didn't seem odd.

I'm just planning on doing laundry at least once on our trip, maybe twice, as we are adding on 5 days in Paris after our Italy ABD. I'm thinking Tuscany and at DLP. And doing the sundress thing (to cover my knees for the churches). At least we won't need hiking boots this trip.

We booked a quick non-Disney trip for spring break last night and I was so excited to see that our hotel suite has laundry. We should be able to carry-on this trip, since we will have the option of doing laundry if need be.
I’m the self-admitted over packer that brings 2 bags for myself, so 3 bags for 2 people doesn’t sound strange at all to me lol. That’s funny about your husband, even I don’t bring that much clothes lol. I honestly didn’t think about the option of doing laundry on an ABD. I figured the days are so packed, but if I did that I could pack even less clothes. Definitely something to think about!

Adventures with Sarah's videos were a revelation for me. Why had I never considered weighing my clothes and bags before?! A bulky cotton sweater vs a thin fleece or merino is a big deal when you are carrying all your stuff.

Thank you! I need these types of things to change my mind set!

In mind opinion, they are pretty much the same. If you can set aside the fact that I work with Amazon, I would say that the Amazon Basics brand will do just fine. It's not expensive and I like them.
Lol I can set that aside for sure. I’m an Amazon fan anyway! I’ll take a look at their brand; if they’re not expensive and they do the job, that’s what counts!

@disneyphx --thanks for the Vivienne Files! I spent an hour reading her blog.

@AquamarineSteph -- AF lost my bag last year for a few days in Scotland. I feel your pain!

@Livelovedance -- we also use packing cubes and take it a bit farther--color code them, split things into two "sets" if it's just DH and me; three if it's DD, DH and I traveling. That way, we are ensuring that each suitcase has a packing cube for each person if a case is lost. Also, I carry several pairs of underwear and an entire set of clothes in my carry on after my Air France bags were lost for 72 hours (okay, not lost, just riding around in a luggage delivery van :sad2: in Scotland!). Fortunately summer travel means lots of lightweight clothes (I literally packed ALL of my summer clothes and it was evenly split between our two suitcases for our recent Med trip) so don't lose hope :)

I’ve never rolled my clothes but I’m willing to try it out. I’m glad to hear about the difference it makes! Hopefully with all this new information packing for an ABD (and any other future trip) will seem like a piece of cake!
Packing is never a piece of cake for me. I find it stressful EVERY SINGLE TIME. But I'm getting better and better at it.

Sayhello

@Livelovedance -- we also use packing cubes and take it a bit farther--color code them, split things into two "sets" if it's just DH and me; three if it's DD, DH and I traveling. That way, we are ensuring that each suitcase has a packing cube for each person if a case is lost. Also, I carry several pairs of underwear and an entire set of clothes in my carry on after my Air France bags were lost for 72 hours (okay, not lost, just riding around in a luggage delivery van :sad2: in Scotland!). Fortunately summer travel means lots of lightweight clothes (I literally packed ALL of my summer clothes and it was evenly split between our two suitcases for our recent Med trip) so don't lose hope :)

Packing is never a piece of cake for me. I find it stressful EVERY SINGLE TIME. But I'm getting better and better at it.

Sayhello

I’m always worried about luggage getting lost! I’ll definitely remember to pack an outfit and underwear in my carry on. When I finally get to do an ABD it’ll definitely be in the summer, so at least it’ll be smaller and lighter clothes! I don’t think it’ll be easy, but if it seems like a piece of cake (compared to how I pack now), that’s good enough for me! I just want to make sure I pack well so I can enjoy the trip and not feel like I packed too much, didn’t pack enough, packed the wrong things, etc. Thanks for the tips and encouragement! :disrocks:

In mind opinion, they are pretty much the same. If you can set aside the fact that I work with Amazon, I would say that the Amazon Basics brand will do just fine. It's not expensive and I like them.

I was gifted a set of Eagle Creek packing cubes and some thinner Travelon ones. I've been eyeing the Eagle Creek Spectre set since they are so lightweight, but I can't justify the purchase. Yet. :thumbsup2

I am a nut about packing and have been ever since I was traveling full time for work back in the 80s. This was before rolling suitcases, too. And I was carry computer equipment that was much bigger back then. I like to watch packing videos and plan way ahead. Here is a video comparing some brands of packing cubes.

I’m always worried about luggage getting lost! I’ll definitely remember to pack an outfit and underwear in my carry on. When I finally get to do an ABD it’ll definitely be in the summer, so at least it’ll be smaller and lighter clothes! I don’t think it’ll be easy, but if it seems like a piece of cake (compared to how I pack now), that’s good enough for me! I just want to make sure I pack well so I can enjoy the trip and not feel like I packed too much, didn’t pack enough, packed the wrong things, etc. Thanks for the tips and encouragement! :disrocks:
Oh, I'm forever worried about luggage getting lost, too. Just this February, I flew Air Canada to Montreal (through Toronto) for a family wedding. I was there for 3 days. I got my suitcase the afternoon of the 3rd day. Fortunately, I had packed my outfit for the wedding, along with extra underwear, in my carryon, because all I had for most of that trip was what was in my carry-on. No winter boots, no warm clothes, just the stuff I wore on the plane and what was in my carry-on (and my coat, which I carried onto the plane). I have NEVER trusted that my checked bag will actually arrive, and am extremely relieved whenever it does. I'm VERY nervous about my upcoming ABD to Iceland, because, unfortunately, I am flying Air Canada through Toronto again. The big advantage this time is having ABD on my side to get me re-united with my suitcase in a timely fashion if they leave it in Toronto again... (But I'm definitely wearing my waterproof hiking boots on the plane for Iceland!!)

Sayhello

Last edited:
Oh, I'm forever worried about luggage getting lost, too. Just this February, I flew Air Canada to Montreal (through Toronto) for a family wedding. I was there for 3 days. I got my suitcase the afternoon of the 3rd day. Fortunately, I had packed my outfit for the wedding, along with extra underwear, in my carryon, because all I had for most of that trip was what was in my carry-on. No winter boots, no warm clothes, just the stuff I wore on the plane and what was in my carry-on (and my coat, which I carried onto the plane). I have NEVER trusted that my checked bag will actually arrive, and am extremely relieved whenever it does. I'm VERY nervous about my upcoming ABD to Iceland, because, unfortunately, I am flying Air Canada through Toronto again. The big advantage this time is having ABD on my side to get me re-united with my suitcase in a timely fashion if they leave it in Toronto again... (But I'm definitely wearing my waterproof hiking boots on the plane for Iceland!!)

Sayhello
Wow, that’s crazy! I don’t blame you! I always pack things that are really important to me or irreplaceable in a carryon. I always get nervous about packing my regular luggage though, especially on flights with transfers! I’m going to have to make sure my carryon has a decent amount of stuff in it! On an ABD travel day, do you carry your own carryon as well? Or is it grouped with regular luggage and all managed by ABD?

I was gifted a set of Eagle Creek packing cubes and some thinner Travelon ones. I've been eyeing the Eagle Creek Spectre set since they are so lightweight, but I can't justify the purchase. Yet. :thumbsup2

I am a nut about packing and have been ever since I was traveling full time for work back in the 80s. This was before rolling suitcases, too. And I was carry computer equipment that was much bigger back then. I like to watch packing videos and plan way ahead. Here is a video comparing some brands of packing cubes.

I had never heard of this woman before today lol but thanks to this thread I’ve watched two very informative videos from her! I like that she compared the different types and why some are better than others. Now I know what to look for when researching packing cubes! When I’m not catching up on the disboards I know I’ll be looking up packing videos and blogs lol.

If you fly first class you are allowed two bags and 70 lbs. per bag per person. Then again in most cases it would probably be cheaper to buy new clothes at you destination and dispose of those before leaving than pay to fly first class. LOL.

It gets easier with practice - perfect excuse to take more trips!

Those of us that travel regularly and for longer trips (many Australians like me as we have to fly such long distances we want to make the most of it) never have more than 1 weeks worth of clothes with us. Also no one really cares if you’re wearing the same clothes over and over as they’re all doing the same. Or, you’re travelling without a group and see different people every day or new city so no one knows anyway.

Good luck. Most tours only let you have one bag and my difficulty is more the weight limit than the size/bulk allowed. I can pack tightly but then my suitcase goes over weight.

I don’t think you mentioned where you’re going. Many big cities have much smaller hotel rooms than standard in USA so fitting two bags in the room with two people can be hard enough!

We use the amazon basics packing cubes - have had them for several years, tons of trips, and they've held up great. Every family member has their own color. I love them for ABD trips because you can pack one cube for each hotel stay. It really minimizes what you need to open and then repack.

We use the amazon basics packing cubes - have had them for several years, tons of trips, and they've held up great. Every family member has their own color. I love them for ABD trips because you can pack one cube for each hotel stay. It really minimizes what you need to open and then repack.
That's a really interesting idea, packing by hotel stay. I'm going to have to explore that!

Sayhello

If you fly first class you are allowed two bags and 70 lbs. per bag per person. Then again in most cases it would probably be cheaper to buy new clothes at you destination and dispose of those before leaving than pay to fly first class. LOL.
Hahahaha yes that is probably true! I’ll stick with the tips here and save that money :rotfl2:

It gets easier with practice - perfect excuse to take more trips!

Those of us that travel regularly and for longer trips (many Australians like me as we have to fly such long distances we want to make the most of it) never have more than 1 weeks worth of clothes with us. Also no one really cares if you’re wearing the same clothes over and over as they’re all doing the same. Or, you’re travelling without a group and see different people every day or new city so no one knows anyway.

Good luck. Most tours only let you have one bag and my difficulty is more the weight limit than the size/bulk allowed. I can pack tightly but then my suitcase goes over weight.

I don’t think you mentioned where you’re going. Many big cities have much smaller hotel rooms than standard in USA so fitting two bags in the room with two people can be hard enough!
Thanks! We’re hoping to do a future ABD to Japan. No dates in mind yet, but not in the very near future. I’ve never done a group tour trip before, so I’ll definitely feel better if everyone’s packing one weeks worth of clothes lol. My concern is the weight too, usually when I pack only one bag it gets pretty heavy. But I’ll try to pack lighter items and less items.

That's a really interesting idea, packing by hotel stay. I'm going to have to explore that!

Sayhello

Another vote for amazon basics - good to know! I love the idea of packing one cube per hotel stay. It would make unpacking and repacking at each hotel a lot easier! Thanks!

This is how we roll as well. I like being able to mix our cubes between bags in case one gets lost, but not have to sort at the hotel. I also start with an empty cube that receives the dirty clothes.

I’ve had great luck finding cubes at TJ Maxx and Marshall’s. They’ve held up great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter