1 page trip report and a hard decision.

Update:

I have a problem. They announce the opening date for Tron, I check availability at Riviera, I have enough points. I book it then realize I cannot book a park reservation because my passes expire on 2-1 so I renewed our passes. It will be a break even with the 2 trips we have booked for the year but still. I have a problem lol. But the good news is we are still going to go shopping and eat more in the room and take full advantage of the kitchen plus we all agreed we will (hopefully) get a VQ or $ill to ride Tron and then head back to the resort for a relaxing vacation by the pool. I'm forever trapped in the firm grip of a mouse.

I understand. We just got APs and we stay off-site. We are at Bonnet Creek right now ($750 for 7 nights) but the food prices have gone up considerably!

My son wanted a burger so we went to D-Luxe at DS and got a burger, fries, and a shake (ONE meal) and it was $27.

We had reservations for Be Our Guest but we didn't realize it was a Pre-Fixe price of $70 EACH. It was lunch and we weren't that hungry and the meal would have been $300 with tax and tip (at least) for the 4 of us, so we left and got a CS meal at Pecos Bill for the price of a kids' meal at BoG!

We went to Ghirdelli for a Sundae......$14 per Sundae!

We went in December, stayed at DVC resorts on points, and didn't enter the parks. We let our APs expire some time ago as I was not about to pay almost double what I used to pay for them. It would have been close to $5,000 for APs for our family, no thanks.

Instead, we had a lot of pool days, resort days, DS days, and we bought APs for Universal. We went there for about half the trip and enjoyed it much more than the WDW parks. It was more chill and relaxed. I didn't feel rushed and the lines weren't that bad.

Unless things change with the price gouging in the parks, we will continue with this model. Stay on DVC points, but spend our time and money other places than the parks or even Disney. It's sad, as we used to go multiple times a year and now we don't.

Last edited:
This^ is exactly how we discussed our next WDW trip in October. We calculated right at $200 for eggs, bacon, cereal, biscuits etc for 5 mornings plus 4 dinners that we will prepare in our room. The good thing about Publix is the "ready to go" meals that take little to no time to prepare but I added 1 night of burgers and fries, 1 night of Stoffers Lasagna and a night of Ribeye's with baked potatoes. Plus 3 12 packs of drinks put us at that $200 mark. We will eat at one of our favorites 1 night and there is always pool side snacks or whatever snack / lunch we need if we visit Sea World or the space center. We always get a 1 bedroom villa but have never took advantage of the kitchen. It's time for a change. The Universal part of our trip will be in a standard 2 queen room at Portofino and that means no kitchen. The good part is they have awesome breakfast and it's included with our stay so that always saves us money. Also we get a $100 dinner credit and a $200 statement credit to offset what we will spend on food which isn't much compared to WDW food prices. Plus UO quick serve is actually pretty good food.
Might I also suggest Costco if you're members. We purchase their pre-made meals and chicken or get their easy make meals (i.e. stick it on the oven for 20 minutes and boom!).

We come out of Costco for about $200 for a weeklong stay and that feeds the family for breakfasts, lunches, and several dinners. Just depends on how much you want to eat in the room.

My trip overlapped with yours a few days. Before we left, we realized that Genie+ would be $30pp/per day, so we decided to just choose a few table service meals, eat breakfast in our room while we got ready in the morning, and either have heavy snacks or counter service for the rest. The table service meals were definitely pricey - for just 2 of us, we had one that was $130 for 2 entrees and 1 appetizer and one that was $200 for two entrees, two mixed drinks and an extra side item.
Being there the week after Christmas was hectic, but we rode everything we wanted using Genie+ with the exception of the safari that was closing when we park hopped over to AK for one afternoon.
Not sure I could have afforded to do all of that if the rest of the family had decided to come too!

We hear you @Jimmy Mouse! I think many of us, in our own ways, are re-thinking how we do Disney.

For quite a while now, our trips have been Resorts > Parks. (Sometimes the kids will go off on their own but they pay their own way.) For us, it started with the crowds. And probably the heat, too. I remember one day several years back going to HS and only getting on one ride the whole day! Forget it! (That used to be my favorite park, but I miss some of the things that used to be there - not only rides and attractions, but shops.) I think that was when we started having to go on spring break week, and super crowded.

We came close to buying DVC several times over the years, but decided it wasn’t for us. I could always find a good deal somewhere (made a hobby of it), and we got to enjoy a lot of different resorts. We always had a car rental, and almost always stopped at a grocery store and got a roughly $180 order (same as I’d spend at home) with breakfast items (yogurt, fruit, cereal), snacks, and stuff for sandwiches (bread, PBJ, cold cuts) which we kept in the fridge, but also often bought a little styrofoam cooler, too, for keeping drinks icy cold.

Sometimes, like if we either got the dining plan or stayed club level, we learned we didn’t need to shop or it would be too much. But that always worked for us. We’d do one or two TS meals and the rest QS or counter service, which wasn’t too bad. For instance, on my bday in 2021, we got a pizza at the Boardwalk window, some cupcakes from the bakery, and wine coolers, then enjoyed a nice evening in that area (visited resorts, watched fireworks sat on beach), and it was a great and memorable night! Two nights earlier it was DH’s bday and we went to ’Ohaha. While we enjoyed that night, too (Lady playing ukelele next to table: “Any requests?” DH: “Please leave”, said in a low whisper just to us 🤣), it felt crazy expensive and wasn’t any more fun than my birthday meal was. (That trip we also had a FW Cabin and grilled out, too, which we enjoyed; even had local friends over for that, like old home week!)

Admittedly, I think I got a lump in my throat reading some of your restaurant costs. 😅

We were just there over Christmas. First Christmas trip, booked last minute when we realized we all had it off (rare). MK was sold out. We picked Epcot for Christmas Day (and our Christmas meal was a turkey dinner at the American Pavilion Holiday Festival booth and it was delish, see below). What happened, I think, was that a trifecta of 1) freezing cold weather, 2) airplane fiasco and 3) illnesses, kept people home, so we, surprisingly, wound up being able to get tickets for MK after all, on Christmas Eve night, which was great, and later HS the day after Christmas. With GP, we walked on a ton of rides and waited just a little while for a few others, which completely blew our minds! But it was pure luck that that happened for us, as, as we all know, the holidays are among the busiest times of the year. I have the feeling that, like with what happened with Covid when a lot of people cancelled - this past year, right after Christmas, when weather warmed up a bit and flights straightened out, people started coming out of the woodwork again, and it got extra busy. That’s my take on it, anyway.

We had a nice breakfast at Boma on our arrival morning, and DS grabbed a bison burger at Geyser Point one evening, but I think other than that we ate breakfast and snacked mainly at the club, and on Christmas Eve got burgers at Cosmic Rays (for old times sake, and they were pretty good, we thought; we tried to get an ADR somewhere but it was slim pickins‘ at that point). On Epcot day we had gift cards and ate around the World at the Holiday Fair, and there was one other place we wanted to eat at our resort but it was closed, so we didn’t spend a lot on food this last trip. In a way that was why we splurged on a club room, knowing we would have a lot of resort time (which we didn’t, really, after all, but it wasn’t planned that way).

Bottom line, I think every trip is unique, and if one trip isn’t the greatest, maybe, the next one might make up for it. (A month later we are all still talking about how amazing our trip was, but we did have a few so-so ones here and there in the recent past, too.) I think it’s wise to strategize about how to save some money at Disney, why not. I felt like we got a good value over Christmas (which I never thought I’d say) but I am still battling the car rental company because we sort of got milked by them, but live and learn. (We do like having a rental because we like to visit other resorts while we’re there or run to the store, and DS golfed, too, so it just makes life easier.)

I’m glad you enjoyed the resorts, anyway!

Christmas Dinner 🎄

A6478125-D5FC-4C38-AE9D-0EAEC8414928.jpeg

Birthday Dinner 🎈

CF32CD24-3A95-4C8D-BFA8-B8863401E682.jpeg

All good! 🥰

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter