1 or 2 days for AK?

mastermind307

DIS Veteran
AK was a 1 day park for us in the past. But with Pandora open, I'm wondering if I should plan 2 days. If I did 2 days, we could FP FOP one day and Navi' River the other.

Here's what we'd like to do at AK:
FOP
Navi' River
Safari
Everest (at least 2 times, DD really likes this ride)
Lion King Show (we'd be ok if timing didn't work out to see this)
Flights of Wonder
It's Tought to be a Bug
Meet Characters
Primeval Whirl
Kali River Rapids (maybe, I would be find skipping this one)
Walk around on the trails and see animals

So would it be better to plan 2 shorter days or 1 longer day?

Do you have park hoppers? We are doing 1 full day there, then starting our last day there to hit FoP a second time. Thenwe’ll Hop to a different park for the rest of the day.

When are you going?

In my opinion, DAK is still a one day park. If it is a hotter month I would fastpass FOP, Kilimanjaro, and Kali as early in the morning as possible. If it is not a hotter month, I would switch Kali for Everest. Ride Everest the second time single rider or towards the end of the day when lines are shorter. Use your 4th fastpass for Dinosaur, if available. Keep checking for fastpasses. Walk on the trails during the early afternoon when the park is the busiest. Don't get in the queue for shows too early. 15 minutes before should be enough. Get in the Nav'i River queue before park close to make sure you get on. Good luck!

I would say it's a little more than a one day park, but not necessarily two days.

AK has been a park that we either skipped, or hit in the morning, and were out of by 5:00 to go for supper for quite a few years.

This past summer, we spent a full day there, and I could have spent longer to really get to enjoy all the night time entertainment. We didn't get to see any of the awakenings, and only walked past some of the street performers. We did see Rivers of Light, and got to walk around Pandora after dark. We also got to do the twilight safari, which was a much different experience than the daytime safari.

My son actually said that we may need to devote two days to AK next year.

We spent a day and a half at AK just last week. Our first day in was actually a late afternoon/evening and we had FP to Navi' River. I was so glad we ended up seeing AK and especially Pandora at night. Pandora has really cool colors that come alive when it gets dark outside. We also saw Rivers of Light that night as well as Dino Land plus we ate dinner and did quite a bit of our souvenir shopping that night. Our next day in AK several days later was at park opening - we had FP's to FOP, Everest, and Safari. We went straight to Everest though to get several Everest rides in quickly in addition to our FP. We also did smaller AK attractions and Lion King show. I think AK will be a day and a half or two day park for us on most trips now. :)

Last edited:
If you ask me, the Na'vi River ride is a no-go ride. If the wait is more than 5 minutes, it is too long. I am sure I could look at a video of the ride to determine how long it is, but it is very short. It is not very entertaining either. Once we went through it, we were asking if that was really all it was. I would definitely not plan a 2nd there if the sole purpose is to get NR in. If you wanted to FP FOP again, that will be worth it.

I think I've decided on 1 1/2 days at AK. I've been making my plans on touring plans and I think this will work well for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter