#1 must do while visiting Aulani/Oahu

Absolutely to each their own, and I can fully understand that perspective. But to offer another differing perspective as someone with no personal ties to WW2 or Pearl Harbor (aside from being American), we chose to go to pay homage and respects. Like PP mentioned, its akin to visiting NYC and seeing the 9/11 memorial. Its no doubt somber and not something "fun" you associate with a vacation, but its such a big part of Hawaii (or NYC, in the 9/11 example) that it seems like a pilgrimage Americans should make when visiting these spots that have become such important parts of history. We did Pearl Harbor on our first trip and wouldn't return, but I think its an important one for first timers or once-in-a-lifetimers to still consider when making itineraries.

My point was that it is not a "must do" for everyone. This is one of those things that is personal, like how a person grieves. Not going to a place where thousands where massacred is OK. I actually find it kind of tacky that they have turned it into a tourist attraction, gift shop and all. If my loved one had died there, I would not want thousands of people going there, smiling and talking pictures. JMO

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay and seeing the green sea turtles on the Laniakea Beach (AKA Turtle Beach on north shore) were both huge hits with my family.
These two things are on my list! I know you need to go to Hanauma Bay super early to get a return time. What do you suggest we do while waiting? Like what is close to Hanauma Bay? Is Laniakea close?

DH finally listened to me and we went to Punch Bowl National Cemetery for the first time in March. We could have spent all day there! We had planned on just visiting for an hour or so on our way back from a hike, but one of the security drivers gave us a map of the graves of famous people, so we ended up being there for at least 3 hours. Still wasn't enough time!
Was this a hike? My hubby can’t do too much hiking so we are trying to decide what to put on our list.

Here is my list but we only have 7 days and want resort time too. Anything I can eliminate besides the swap meet because we definitely are going to shop there for outfits.
Pearl Harbor
Swap meet
Lanikai Beach
Hanauma Bay
Kualoa ranch
Waimea Valley /waterfall
Byodo-In Temple/Botanical Gardens
North shore and Waikiki

what can we skip and how do we fit this in 3 days so we have 4 resort days lol?

So many good suggestions already, but Lanikai Beach in Kailua is also a must for me!
Yes! I have been to Hawaii 17 times, MAUI, twice, Kauai, once, Big Island, once, Oahu, 13 times. My favorite beach is LaniKai, however, it has become very crowded nowadays. Plus, there are restrictions on parking on the streets on holidays. I remember 10 years ago, we had the beach almost to ourselves. But, like everything, changes happen.

The 72 hour window starts at the time their flight leaves unless they are visiting another island first or stop somewhere first. For example, if their flight is Saturday at 12:15 pm, their test has to be done after Wednesday 12:15 pm if they have a direct flight.

If they are stopping somewhere else first, then the test has to be within 72 hours of the departure of that flight. If his final flight takes off at 3:30 pm on Saturday, the test has to be after 3:30 on Wednesday.

I would not chance getting on the first leg of the trip not knowing if I could get on the flight for the last leg. Tell him to drive the hour for the ID Now test.
Was this a hike? My hubby can’t do too much hiking so we are trying to decide what to put on our list.
No, it is not a hike. You can walk around the cemetery or you can drive. There are stairs going up to the chapel area but there is also an elevator. You can actually park near the chapel/monument and avoid the stairs.

I highly recommend visiting!

eta for clarity - we did the Makapuu Lighthouse Point hike before we stopped at Punchbowl.

My point was that it is not a "must do" for everyone. This is one of those things that is personal, like how a person grieves. Not going to a place where thousands where massacred is OK. I actually find it kind of tacky that they have turned it into a tourist attraction, gift shop and all. If my loved one had died there, I would not want thousands of people going there, smiling and talking pictures. JMO
I understand. Your opinion was that its not a must do, my opinion is that it is. I was just offering a different perspective for someone to weigh for anyone who might be on the fence about it. Definitely not trying to convince you or anyone else that they should go when they don't want to.

Here is my list but we only have 7 days and want resort time too. Anything I can eliminate besides the swap meet because we definitely are going to shop there for outfits.
Pearl Harbor
Swap meet
Lanikai Beach
Hanauma Bay
Kualoa ranch
Waimea Valley /waterfall
Byodo-In Temple/Botanical Gardens
North shore and Waikiki

what can we skip and how do we fit this in 3 days so we have 4 resort days lol?
Just throwing this out, but....I actually bought our matching aloha outfits ahead of time, online from Jade Fashions. They cost more than the swap meet, but they were handmade in Hawaii (many at the swap meet are imports) and they are extremely well made garments. No loose threads in hems, all buttonholes perfect, all patterns matched perfectly, all from same dye lot, etc. I knew nothing about them when I purchased but I was blown away with the quality. Just in case you decide you might not have time to go or just want to be sure you find what you want (if you were wanting to match for pics or something).

No to try to change your mind, but I honestly think the memorial is very tasteful. The movie is incredibly done (95% or more is real footage) and really sets the tone. When we were there, you could hear a pin drop in that theater when it was finished. And while folks were taking pics, I didn’t see anyone messing around and being goofy; it was more just documenting being there, not grinning and posing. Now I can’t speak much to the gift shop, as we just popped in for a pressed penny and a coin, but the money goes to maintain the museum; they have to raise money as most all museums do. Again, as others have said, I can understand why some people don’t want to visit, just like some people don’t go to funerals (like my brother wouldn’t) but I really don’t think it’s fair to call it tacky.

Just throwing this out, but....I actually bought our matching aloha outfits ahead of time, online from Jade Fashions. They cost more than the swap meet, but they were handmade in Hawaii (many at the swap meet are imports) and they are extremely well made garments. No loose threads in hems, all buttonholes perfect, all patterns matched perfectly, all from same dye lot, etc. I knew nothing about them when I purchased but I was blown away with the quality. Just in case you decide you might not have time to go or just want to be sure you find what you want (if you were wanting to match for pics or something).

I agree about purchasing clothing from the swap meet. The clothing is not well made and often does not survive the first wash.

I agree about purchasing clothing from the swap meet. The clothing is not well made and often does not survive the first wash.

I bought a couple of items from there and have had no issues. They have lasted 3 years so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter