#1 must do while visiting Aulani/Oahu

I agree with the USS Arizona Memorial. That would be my first choice as the #1 must do.

Aside from that, Waikiki is a must do IMO. As someone who lives on the east coast and doesn't know many people who visit Hawaii often, many of us here have a preconceived notion/stereotype of Oahu as Waikiki. That's what we picture when someone mentions Hawaii, so visiting that to say we did it was important to me. Its also the most unique area we visited as there is no other place like it elsewhere in Hawaii - urban area with a beautiful beach on the ocean, shopping, waterfront/beachfront dining, nightlife, history, culture, people watching. Its all there and its all walkable. We spent 3 nights there, but I would at least spend an evening there on a future trip.

I think I have to go with the Arizona for the #1. The #2 would have to be the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet. #3 would be Hawaiian Shave Ice.

Now if you're just looking for other things to do, the following are things my family has done (most of which we'd do again). I was very happy with my experiences, hence the links being posted below. Some of my choices were not the cheapest options available, so if you are looking for cheap, you might be able to do better elsewhere.

- sportfishing (we used boomboomsportfishing.com)
- SCUBA (hawaiinadiving.com) - we got SCUBA certified on our most recent trip, but they have try SCUBA classes as well
- snorkeling with the wild dolphins (sailhawaii.com)
- went in a submarine (Atlantis)
- surf lessons on the North Shore (northshoresurfgirls.com)
- whale watching tour (hawaiinautical.com)
- shark cage (hawaiisharkencounters.com)

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay and seeing the green sea turtles on the Laniakea Beach (AKA Turtle Beach on north shore) were both huge hits with my family.

Reactions: H2E
Waimea Bay - combine with a North Shore driving day
Bishop Museum
Pearl Harbor in totality - my then 12yo son and I spent 8hrs looking around every site one day
Iolani Palace
Diamondhead
Tantalus drive incorporating Punchbowl Crater where the National Cemetery of the Pacific.

I have been to Hawaii a couple times, the must dos for me change a bit depending on how many times you have been I think. The number one to me is Pearl Harbour, however after you have been once or twice and done the whole tour you are likely good. The number two would be to visit the North Shore which is amazing every single time. A very close number three would be Kualoa Ranch. Yes it is a tourist trap but they have plenty to do so repeat visits can be unique, its great to visit and the drive to get there is the most beautiful drive that I have ever been on, and likely the most beautiful that I will ever be on in my life (once you get past Honolulu anyway and into the tropical forest area of Oahu). , Also great pre-visit because you can watch a bunch of movies that were filmed there to increase your excitement.

Waimea Bay - combine with a North Shore driving day
Bishop Museum
Pearl Harbor in totality - my then 12yo son and I spent 8hrs looking around every site one day
Iolani Palace
Diamondhead
Tantalus drive incorporating Punchbowl Crater where the National Cemetery of the Pacific.

DH finally listened to me and we went to Punch Bowl National Cemetery for the first time in March. We could have spent all day there! We had planned on just visiting for an hour or so on our way back from a hike, but one of the security drivers gave us a map of the graves of famous people, so we ended up being there for at least 3 hours. Still wasn't enough time!

Kualoa Ranch, North Shore, and some botanical gardens. Hawaii is so different geographically from where I live that I just want to soak up all of the wonderful, tropical atmosphere. We are obviously in the minority, but we have zero interest in going to Pearl Harbor. My family was devastated by WW2 and the last thing that I want to think about while on vacation is the horror that they went through. It is the same reason why I won't go to Auschwitz when I go to Poland.

Kualoa Ranch, North Shore, and some botanical gardens. Hawaii is so different geographically from where I live that I just want to soak up all of the wonderful, tropical atmosphere. We are obviously in the minority, but we have zero interest in going to Pearl Harbor. My family was devastated by WW2 and the last thing that I want to think about while on vacation is the horror that they went through. It is the same reason why I won't go to Auschwitz when I go to Poland.

I’m in the minority with you. Zero interest on Pearl Harbor. To each their own.

For an opposite opinion, my grandfather was a POW in Japan for over 3 years getting fed a cup of rice a day and getting moved from ship yards to mines doing forced labour. His brother was shot and killed on Christmas Day, he was captured shortly after. When I was a kid, he was around 60 and would still have nightmares where he spoke in Japanese in the night. He never would talk about his time there. As a Canadian, the Americans rescued him and he spent some time on the Missouri before they arranged to get people back home. Visiting the Missouri was the highlight of my trip and was very emotional for me even though I don't know many details because he passed away 10 years ago and never really spoke of it.

I’m in the minority with you. Zero interest on Pearl Harbor. To each their own.
Absolutely to each their own, and I can fully understand that perspective. But to offer another differing perspective as someone with no personal ties to WW2 or Pearl Harbor (aside from being American), we chose to go to pay homage and respects. Like PP mentioned, its akin to visiting NYC and seeing the 9/11 memorial. Its no doubt somber and not something "fun" you associate with a vacation, but its such a big part of Hawaii (or NYC, in the 9/11 example) that it seems like a pilgrimage Americans should make when visiting these spots that have become such important parts of history. We did Pearl Harbor on our first trip and wouldn't return, but I think its an important one for first timers or once-in-a-lifetimers to still consider when making itineraries.

• Pearl Harbor and Arizona Memorial
  • Leonard's Malasadas
  • Watch the surfers on the North Shore, especially in winter (huge wave season)
  • Kawela Bay Beach Park
  • Waimea Bay
  • If you can walk far, Makapuu Lighthouse Point
  • If you can really hike, the Koko Crater Stairs and Ka'ena Point
  • There are lots of trails around the island, but most of them are difficult and can be muddy or flooded. check the weather and trail reports first

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter