1 GB or a couple 512MB camera cards?

Marypoppinsiam

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW and then on a 7 day DCL cruise in April, I was wondering if I should invest in a 1 GB card or just take a couple 512MB? I don't know if I want to just depend on 1 camera card just in case something does happen to the card. We are not taking our laptop on the cruise to download the card everynight and it is expensive to use the computers on the cruise. Can somebody help me with this? :scratchin

Thanks!! :goodvibes

take more then 1 card, switch them every day, if something happens to a card, at least u have one left with pics

First of all, take EVERY card that you have with you.

As far as investing in new cards, I prefer to have at least two smaller cards - each big enough to hold at least 100 images - and carry a spare with me whenever I am carrying the camera. If a 512mb card is big enough to hold 100 images, then you are probably safe getting 512mb cards. If you need to go to 1gb to get 100 images on a single card, then go for the 1gb.

As you said, it's a matter of putting all your eggs in one basket. I don't like having more than about 100 images on any particular card, so I make sure to switch cards or download every evening.

I also don't want to switch cards too often, so I won't switch cards after only 25 or 50 pics. But I settled on 100 pics as a pretty good average, because that's about what I shoot in an average day at WDW.

I have never missplaced a card inside a camera.

My wife has lost(forever) two cards, both times she swore she put them in her purse after switching them when full. Obviously if they were full they were smaller cards so I only pretended to be really mad but it was no big deal. But I did get her a 1 gig card that will outlast her cameras batteries b4 filling up. So she no longer has to switch cards.

OH and both times it was at disneyland.

I own multiple 512Mb cards for the following reasons:

1. Access time using my camera and 1 Gb card (when filled more than 512 Mb) is goshdarn slow.
2. It's easier to backup a 512 Mb card at any digital photo centre rather than spanning 1 Gb card onto 2 CDs
3. Electronics break, that's a fact. I'd rather lose the 512 Mb worth of pic than 1 Gb worth of pic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter