1 day thoughts

OrangeBirdGirl

DIS Veteran
DH & I are Disney vets so it's been a long time since we first experienced the parks. A friend is going down in March, they have a cruise booked and they are arriving in Orlando Weds Mar 25th and departing on the cruise the 27th. They have not planned anything in the Orlando area yet and friend has expressed interest in taking the family to Disney.

The family consists of husband, wife and 2 kids (son 15 and daughter 12). They are thinking of doing one day at MK on Thurs Mar 26th. They have never been to Disney. I think this is a horrible idea. Crowd calendars are showing 10. The cheapest onsite resort is $450/night so they will be staying offsite (they haven't booked a hotel yet). Tickets for just MK for their family are $550 for the day.

I have told friend that I think the price is not worth going for just one day on one of the most crowded days of the year, that they have already missed the 60 FP+ window so who knows what rides are available and they will spend a lot of time in line. Friend still says his family has never been to Disney and he thinks he should take the kids. He has expressed that he also feels it is a lot of money but still wants his kids to do Disney. So it's not like friend is rich and the cost is nothing to him.

DH and I do enjoy just one day at a park. But we are always going down for a week so on our one day we know we have 6 more days of park time. So one day, we hit the park hard at rope drop until about lunch, then do shopping or really low key attractions that are never too busy (Carousel of Progress) or go back to room, and have our FP+ setup for the afternoon / early evening. But I'd think with a first time visit they are not going to want to spend the afternoon just doing low tier rides.

I tried to give him ideas of going to Cocoa Beach area and enjoying the ocean the day before cruise. Or even doing SeaWorld as will likely be less crowded and would have some rides.

What's everyone's thoughts on his plan? Any suggestions I could give? At least he is open to suggestions and is asking a lot of questions.

One day at MK, or any of the parks, would be a great way to start a vacation as long as expectations are set. If they are expecting a Disney experience like in the commercials, then they are going to be disappointed. The price for 4 Disney adults is definitely not cheap.

There are cheaper options to have a Disney experience without entering one of the 4 parks. There are 2 very well themed water parks, mini-golf, and Disney Springs.

They could make reservations for a character dinner or one of the nicer restaurants around MK and watch the fireworks from the beach or restaurants. The Polynesian has an excellent view and Dole Whips are sold at a window there. 1900 Park Fare and Chef Mickey’s have dinner meals with character.

For activities outside of Disney, there’s plenty of options around I drive and Kissimmee. Medieval Times is a dinner theater show that lasts a couple hours and usually has discounts out. FunSpot has roller coasters, go karts, and other activities. Have them check out the Go Orlando card for ideas on things to do.

One day at MK, or any of the parks, would be a great way to start a vacation as long as expectations are set. If they are expecting a Disney experience like in the commercials, then they are going to be disappointed. The price for 4 Disney adults is definitely not cheap.

There are cheaper options to have a Disney experience without entering one of the 4 parks. There are 2 very well themed water parks, mini-golf, and Disney Springs.

They could make reservations for a character dinner or one of the nicer restaurants around MK and watch the fireworks from the beach or restaurants. The Polynesian has an excellent view and Dole Whips are sold at a window there. 1900 Park Fare and Chef Mickey’s have dinner meals with character.

For activities outside of Disney, there’s plenty of options around I drive and Kissimmee. Medieval Times is a dinner theater show that lasts a couple hours and usually has discounts out. FunSpot has roller coasters, go karts, and other activities. Have them check out the Go Orlando card for ideas on things to do.

Great ideas! Thank you. Especially doing some mini golf, hitting up a water park then a character dinner. Things that we have only done a few times that I forget about.

DH & I are Disney vets so it's been a long time since we first experienced the parks. A friend is going down in March, they have a cruise booked and they are arriving in Orlando Weds Mar 25th and departing on the cruise the 27th. They have not planned anything in the Orlando area yet and friend has expressed interest in taking the family to Disney.

The family consists of husband, wife and 2 kids (son 15 and daughter 12). They are thinking of doing one day at MK on Thurs Mar 26th. They have never been to Disney. I think this is a horrible idea. Crowd calendars are showing 10. The cheapest onsite resort is $450/night so they will be staying offsite (they haven't booked a hotel yet). Tickets for just MK for their family are $550 for the day.

I have told friend that I think the price is not worth going for just one day on one of the most crowded days of the year, that they have already missed the 60 FP+ window so who knows what rides are available and they will spend a lot of time in line. Friend still says his family has never been to Disney and he thinks he should take the kids. He has expressed that he also feels it is a lot of money but still wants his kids to do Disney. So it's not like friend is rich and the cost is nothing to him.

DH and I do enjoy just one day at a park. But we are always going down for a week so on our one day we know we have 6 more days of park time. So one day, we hit the park hard at rope drop until about lunch, then do shopping or really low key attractions that are never too busy (Carousel of Progress) or go back to room, and have our FP+ setup for the afternoon / early evening. But I'd think with a first time visit they are not going to want to spend the afternoon just doing low tier rides.

I tried to give him ideas of going to Cocoa Beach area and enjoying the ocean the day before cruise. Or even doing SeaWorld as will likely be less crowded and would have some rides.

What's everyone's thoughts on his plan? Any suggestions I could give? At least he is open to suggestions and is asking a lot of questions.

If your friend wants to take his children to WDW, I would just help him plan it as best you can. If they are staying offsite, their FP+ window will open 30 days prior to March 26, so perhaps you could walk them through setting up an MDE account, linking their tickets and coming up with a FP+ plan so they are ready to book on the day their window opens. I would suggest they arrive for RD and get in line for one of the more popular rides that they couldn't get FP+ for at that time (7DMT most likely). You could help them come up with a plan that helps them avoid criss-crossing the park or hitting the bigger rides earlier to try to avoid lines. Perhaps suggest a lunch TS to get them out of the crowds a little or show him how to do mobile order on the MDE app. I think the best you can do is teach him how to use MDE, book some FP+, show him how to try to book extra FP+ one the first 3 are done on the MDE app and suggest some places to eat (or help him secure an ADR if they want a TS meal).

I’ve done one and two day trips so much (and those are the only for the year) that I’m panicking about how to plan for 8 park days. If I were them, and this is what I do, rope drop until closing (as in the rides stop, not the fireworks happen)... I would get the kids to read up on the refresh method for rides and I would have them each on an MDE account with one in charge of themselves and a parent and the other the same so they are now only trying to get 2 FP at a time. - and I would explain the rational for switching whatever FP they get now during the day of... and finally I’d make sure they understood that while a couple of the roller coaster rides will be doable the likelihood of 7DMT and multiple on each for people who have never been is less likely... but personally I’d do it if I were them, honestly I have no clue what to do with 8 park days. I might have to actually slow down at Disney!

Thursdays are after hour parties at Animal Kingdom. They are so awesome. You can get your Disney with lower crowds great for families with teens.
( monday is MK)

I agree with the post above that if your friend wants to take his kids to Disney while they are so close, I would just do my best to help him plan how to do it most efficiently in light of crowds-- help schedule FPs, make a list of their priorities, schedule an ADR, look at a park map with him, etc.. Since they are headed to a cruise (with lots of water/pools/beaches) next, Disney water parks, Disney Springs shopping or a beach trip really may not hold the same appeal as a day at Magic Kingdom with rides/shows/characters, IMHO. I think it might just make them disappointed that they they were so close and didn't try to do a park... Help them manage their expectations that it will be busy and that they need a plan in order to make the most of their time/money. Also, with the ages of his kids, they should be able to do rope-drop to park close so they should be able to have a full day-- it's possible that because that is spring break time that evening hours may even be extended.

I will compare it to several cross country RV road trips that we took when my kids were younger-- when researching, I read many reports by full time RV-ers that would critique trip plans of people who weren't able to spend a week or more fully exploring a national park saying it wasn't worth it to even go for a short stay... I came to the conclusion that I would rather have my children spend one day seeing the Grand Canyon in person than never seeing it at all... no, they wouldn't have explored every nook and cranny but they WERE able to experience its vastness and grandeur that only comes from seeing it live. I feel the same way about Disney--- no, in one day your friends won't be able to experience all that the Magic Kingdom has to offer BUT with your help, they can maximize the value of their day and probably create loads of great memories.

If its in their budget for a full park ticket for each, then definitely. If they are arriving the 25th and their cruise is the 27th, then they can do a full park day on the 26th. As others have said, if you can help them plan FP with their interests and then come up with a general touring plan to get the most of a busier crowd day.

We have a cruise booked with a Port Canaveral stop. We considered going to Disney for the day, but then that would only give us about 4-5 hrs of park time, so we decided to skip the park and just go to Disney Springs. But for a full Disney day and if in budget, then that's a wonderful way to spend a pre-cruise day.

I completely agree with the above posters about adding value by helping them plan. We’ve been to Disney during very busy times with only one day at MK and it is manageable! And since this is their first visit everything will be magical.

There will be “good” FP at 30 days-not 7DMT but that can be done at the end of the night with 1/2 hr wait. (I wouldn’t rope drop it because there is the fantasyland paid event that morning). See what they can get FP for and then rope drop what they can’t and fill in. Love the suggestion to teach the kids how to refresh. And my best tip is to look for fastpasses morning of before and just after park opening. We have completely changed our plans in the morning and have been able to get hard fastpasses.

I looked at the cost of non park activities and they wouldn’t be saving money—the cost of the water park for four is almost $300 and a character meal (Chef Mickeys) is $60/person. Just on those two events alone they would spend about the same as a single day ticket to MK.

Also if they want to stay on site there are options less than $450. POR came up March 25-27 for $262/night (not a special rate).

So excited for your friends!!

Last edited:
Meh, I think we all forget that is how MANY people do WDW. They show up, buy a ticket at the front gate, and go in for a day with no plans, no FPs, and no ADRs. My one Disney trip when I was a kid was like that--we were there one day, stayed offsite over an hour away, waited over 1-2 hours for everything, ate quick service, left before the fireworks because my parents were exhausted and our hotel was so far from the parks, and it was still one of the happiest days of my childhood.

If they can afford it, I would not only advise them to get the one day park ticket and go to MK, but I would also suggest they get the DAH ticket for AK. They would get to experience two parks and have lower crowds at AK and also have the opportunity to do FOP etc. If they only want to pick one park, then maybe the DAH is the way to go. They could spend the day in DS, do a character meal and then spend the night in AK with lower crowds.

I agree that they will have all the sun and fun on their cruise so spending the day at a park would definitely be worth it. I think as veterans you need to help them maximize their time the best way possible.

Let them go and have fun. Tons of people go every year and have a blast without all of the planning. Sure it makes life easier if you plan, but it isn't the end of the world if you go last minute like others have mentioned.

And I wouldn't suggest that they do non park things like mini golf or whatever. Go and enjoy the Magic Kingdom. Have fun with what you can do. As someone mentioned earlier, look into after hours options or other things that might be available for that date. There are still FP+ available, just not for SDMT and the most popular rides. You can have fun on the PeopleMover if you want to ... it isn't all about the most popular rides. There are still ADRs left at restaurants at all of the parks. Sure you might not get into BOG (but you could probably find one using the Touring Plans app).

My first time back in the parks was 2015, after not visiting since childhood (1980s). I went for a day after a conference.

I had ZERO expectations, and I think I ended up on maybe 3/4 rides total? I. had. the. best. time. I was not at all peeved about everything I was "missing out on" because honestly, I didn't know any better. The more seasoned we get, I think we lose sight of the fact that just being in MK, walking around, hearing the music, seeing the atmosphere etc. is a magical experience. Now it's totally ignited my passion for it again, and I got my husband into it, and we've been every year since then. Each year I get better and better at planning, and we do more and more stuff, but I still remember how my heart swelled walking into the gates and hearing that music outside the train station with ZERO plans.

Thanks everyone. Friend is super excited for their day there and I'm excited for them. Sent them the dining menu link to see if they want ADR or counter. Gave them the tips about making sure there early and their hotel would give them transportation but that's to TTC then ferry/monorail over and security so they need to allow for that. Talked about mobile ordering for food.

They have been to Six Flags type parks before where they wait for so long in an unthemed queue line, so if they could do that, they should be fine.
Also we are go go go for a week when at WDW so we can't be in the parks from open - close. But for one day they will be able to start at opening and last until fireworks are over as they want to see those.

Yes one day a the MK is expensive, but that is exactly what we are doing before a cruise. When you look at how much tours cost at various ports, how much it is to go to a Broadway style show, or the cost of certain sporting event tickets, IMHO a day of Disney Magic when you are not taking a Disney vacation or have any plans of a full Disney vacation anytime in the near future is totally worth (as a splurge) it if it fits into your budget. I understand OP where you are coming from because you do full week trips to Disney where you buy multiday tickets at a much better price per day, but for those of us who don't have something like that planned and probably won't be doing that ever, I think the one day is a fantastic option. I am flying to Orlando today, staying two nights offsite, going to the MK tomorrow (expensive one day tickets), and then going on a RCCL cruise (big Harmony ship for a week). There is pleasure, joy, and excitement for the Disney lovers in my family to start the vacation with a day at the MK. Also if you are willing to skip 7DMT and Peter Pan even at 30 days you can get some decent fastpasses at the MK and stand in very few long lines (We skip these two and that makes for a perfect day) . I prefer less busy, but have done crowd level 9 and 10 days with lower expectations, a touring plan, and fastpasses with no problem and thought it was totally worth it to go. The spring break time would not scare the Disney lovers in my family.

I am staying offsite at the Marriott Residence Inn SeaWorld and taking an uber to the Contemporary walkway on my Magic Kingdom day which will be tomorrow.

We are going to Paris in June too, and guess what, I am getting an expensive one day hopper to get a chance to see the Paris Disneyland parks too (a splurge for me that I think is worth it for my family). Sure we won't see everything and many might say it's not a proper way to do the parks, but I will probably not be to Paris again, have one day allocated for this (other days are allocated for other things), and would hate to be so close and not take a peek. If I were in your friends' shoes, could afford it, and wanted to do it, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
If their goal is simply to experience the park then it's up to them if it's worth the money. If their goal is to ride several of the top tier rides then as long as their expectations are set that long lines and waiting are in their future that is ok too. But if they think they are gonna be able to ride even half the rides in a day they will be sadly disappointed. It's all about the expectations and what their goal is.

Personally I would not do it, but I'm also the type of person that if I can't maximize the experience to the hilt, then I will wait for an opportunity to do so. But other folks are happy with just the smallest taste of the experience.

Yes one day a the MK is expensive, but that is exactly what we are doing before a cruise. When you look at how much tours cost at various ports, how much it is to go to a Broadway style show, or the cost of certain sporting event tickets, IMHO a day of Disney Magic when you are not taking a Disney vacation or have any plans of a full Disney vacation anytime in the near future is totally worth (as a splurge) it if it fits into your budget. I understand OP where you are coming from because you do full week trips to Disney where you buy multiday tickets at a much better price per day, but for those of us who don't have something like that planned and probably won't be doing that ever, I think the one day is a fantastic option. I am flying to Orlando today, staying two nights offsite, going to the MK tomorrow (expensive one day tickets), and then going on a RCCL cruise (big Harmony ship for a week). There is pleasure, joy, and excitement for the Disney lovers in my family to start the vacation with a day at the MK. Also if you are willing to skip 7DMT and Peter Pan even at 30 days you can get some decent fastpasses at the MK and stand in very few long lines (We skip these two and that makes for a perfect day) . I prefer less busy, but have done crowd level 9 and 10 days with lower expectations, a touring plan, and fastpasses with no problem and thought it was totally worth it to go. The spring break time would not scare the Disney lovers in my family.

I am staying offsite at the Marriott Residence Inn SeaWorld and taking an uber to the Contemporary walkway on my Magic Kingdom day which will be tomorrow.

We are going to Paris in June too, and guess what, I am getting an expensive one day hopper to get a chance to see the Paris Disneyland parks too (a splurge for me that I think is worth it for my family). Sure we won't see everything and many might say it's not a proper way to do the parks, but I will probably not be to Paris again, have one day allocated for this (other days are allocated for other things), and would hate to be so close and not take a peek. If I were in your friends' shoes, could afford it, and wanted to do it, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Thank you for your rationale. We also cruise and you are right about the cost of a day at MK vs excursion. We spend $500 for just 2 people to do a 4 hour excursion and here the friend could get a family of four 12 hours of entertainment in the Magic Kingdom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter