1 day solo - yes or no

footballmouse

DIS Veteran
The time frame that I'm looking at is 1/17. I can get a flight that lands at MCO at 10:28 am and the return flight leaves later that night out of MCO at 9:45 pm. Depending on when I would actually get to MK and when I would have to leave, I'm not sure it's financially smart to do this little trip. I would have to buy a ticket so that would be my biggest expense.

I normally would say yes, but the reality is you are getting more of a half day. You would get there around 11:15AM at the earliest and have to leave the park at 6PM to make it back to the airport in time. Orlando is a 3 hour before departure arrival window to make sure you get through security. If you could stay overnight it would become worth it, or if you could arrive by 9:30AM it may be, but for 6 and a half hours it would be a judgement call at best.

I'd agree, it's cutting it close.
My main thing would be flights are so unpredictable these days. If you were able to fly in the night before, I'd say it would be maybe worth it. But your 10:28 arrival might become an afternoon arrival time.

I think it sounds fun - if everything goes well and stays on time. But in reality, not sure it would be worth it - at least not for us. But if you think it might be a fun thing to do and enjoy a few extra hours at MK, hope it all works out!

I'm rethinking this great idea that I had at work. I keep searching for an earlier or better yet a later flight in the evening but I'm not finding anything. I could fly in the night before or leave the day after but I was trying to do this on the cheap side and getting a hotel room is just an added cost. Maybe at the beginning of the year I'll look into early May or September.

If I had an annual pass, I would do it, but spending the money on a ticket for 1/2 day isn't the smartest thing to do. I think I'm talking myself into not doing it and just wait.

I'm rethinking this great idea that I had at work. I keep searching for an earlier or better yet a later flight in the evening but I'm not finding anything. I could fly in the night before or leave the day after but I was trying to do this on the cheap side and getting a hotel room is just an added cost. Maybe at the beginning of the year I'll look into early May or September.

If I had an annual pass, I would do it, but spending the money on a ticket for 1/2 day isn't the smartest thing to do. I think I'm talking myself into not doing it and just wait.
Maybe ask Santa for a 1-day MK pass for 1/17?!!

Hotels don’t have to be expensive. Look into Disney Springs or off-property hotels in the main gate area. Doesn’t have to be in a Disney resort for a single night.

Last edited:

Hotels don’t have to be expensive. Look into Disney Springs or off-property hotels in the main gate area. Don’t have to be in a Disney resort for a single night.

I agree. I know it adds to the cost, but you would get so much more value out of your ticket if you could add a night. I think it would be worth it.

Hotels don’t have to be expensive. Look into Disney Springs or off-property hotels in the main gate area. Doesn’t have to be in a Disney resort for a single night.
That's true. My son and I stayed in Celebration back in 2017 and found a place for $34 a night through Tickets at Work. Now you have me rethinking this!

That's true. My son and I stayed in Celebration back in 2017 and found a place for $34 a night through Tickets at Work. Now you have me rethinking this!
I travel on a very limited budget most of the time, so it’s typically a 2-3 day trip and much of the time off property(though I won’t usually pass up a good deal).

My son 15 yrs and I did this on December, 2019. We flew Frontier Airlines out of PVD. I can’t remember exact times but we left about 6am and landed in MCO at 9:30am. We rented a car, which was super quick. Stopped to pick up a Monster and some Water. Parked at TTC and purchased one day park hoppers. Walked to Poly for breakfast. Monorail to Magic Kingdom. Monorail to Grand Floridan to see gingerbread house. Bus to Epcot. Monorail back to TTC. Drove to Disney Springs. Left for airport about 6:30pm for a 9:30pm flight.

my son still talks about our “epic” one day trip.

Saw a post on tictok of one couple doing just that. They had annual passes, and their total costs was just under $300.00. Fortunately, early morning flights tend to be on time and not canceled, as the aircraft is always scheduled for other flights. I have often flirted with the idea of trying this, but if I did, I wouldn't want to return that night.

Okay, checked flights and prices again. I can get a flight landing at MCO @ 9:37 am and the returning flight leaves later that night at 9:45 pm. I could do flight and MK ticket for $213. I think it might be worth it. Figuring I'd get to the park about 10:30 and would need to leave at 6:30, that gives me 8 hours in the park by myself.

I would do it, even if just to give it a shot. It'd make a great story, and especially since you can get the earlier flight you'd have more time at the park. If things went really sideways you could book one night at a Springs hotel.

People do same day round trips more often then you might realize- I've done it for job interviews and sales presentations and I wouldn't consider myself a frequent flyer/ road warrior like George Clooney in Up in the Air.

Go for it!

I did this about a year ago, on the spur of a moment (it was May - maybe April but I'm pretty sure May). I was lucky to get a little more time than you with a flight that arrived at like 9am. It was super worth it to me - but in part, that's because I had recently gone and done a lot of things and I had bought a ton of gift cards for that previous trip and discovered one I hadn't used that was sizable. I wasn't going to spend it on ShopDisney - and it basically covered the ticket. Without that, I probably wouldn't have done it. (I must say - it was one of the coolest experiences of my life and I've had some doozies. I went to all four parks. I did it all. It was ... awesome)

I did this about a year ago, on the spur of a moment (it was May - maybe April but I'm pretty sure May). I was lucky to get a little more time than you with a flight that arrived at like 9am. It was super worth it to me - but in part, that's because I had recently gone and done a lot of things and I had bought a ton of gift cards for that previous trip and discovered one I hadn't used that was sizable. I wasn't going to spend it on ShopDisney - and it basically covered the ticket. Without that, I probably wouldn't have done it. (I must say - it was one of the coolest experiences of my life and I've had some doozies. I went to all four parks. I did it all. It was ... awesome)
Oh, and like someone referenced, I also didn't pay for my flight because I had credits from covid. It really was a "fell into this" sort of thing

I forgot that I had a Visa gift card from P&G for doing a product survey so that will pay for my flight plus money left over for snacks. I'm going to do it and book my flight tomorrow, don't have the gift card with me.

Has anyone been the week of MLK holiday? I'm hoping just the weekend will be busy due to holiday. I plan to fly down on that Tuesday. I've never been in January before.

I forgot that I had a Visa gift card from P&G for doing a product survey so that will pay for my flight plus money left over for snacks. I'm going to do it and book my flight tomorrow, don't have the gift card with me.

Has anyone been the week of MLK holiday? I'm hoping just the weekend will be busy due to holiday. I plan to fly down on that Tuesday. I've never been in January before.

I have not but I am also looking at a 1/16-17 trip and noticed that the value resorts for at least the 16th are really cheap so that makes me think it is low season/low bookings according to Disney.

I have traveled for the week of MLK many times. The holiday weekend itself can be busy but the week after is usually fine. Like @delsol I noticed that the value resorts were really cheap (by Disney Standards) for that week and booked myself into a value for a few nights. I could not find low priced value rooms for any other week in January or February (I was planning around the Festival of the Arts dates).

Well I did it!!!!!! I have a flight out on 1/16 in the am and a return flight that night out of MCO. I should have about 8 hours in MK. I've been plenty of times so I'm going to just hit my favorites, eat some snacks that I usually never get (with my kids, we always brought snacks and lunch).

For a 9:45 pm flight, I'm not sure what time to leave MK. I was thinking 6-6:30, I'll need to Uber and I have CLEAR for the airport if that helps at all. Is it easy to get your Uber at TC?

I'm very nervous but excited. Any tips you solos can give me will be much appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter