1 Day Only- Universal or SeaWorld

MidwestMulan

Earning My Ears
We will be going down the 2nd week in August. We are spending 10 days at Disney World with 9 days in the Disney parks. We will have 1 day left to do either Sea World or Universal Studios (not IOA). We are a family of four- myself, DH, DS (13) and DD (8). Would 1 be better crowd wise at one than the other? The kids enjoy Despicable Me, Simpsons, and wizard stuff related to Harry Potter. DD is on shorter side, so would not be able to do big coasters at Sea World- 54" height requirements.

I love both parks! Sea World will be cheaper ticket-wise and a little less hectic as they have a lot of shows vs. rides. That said, Universal Studios is amazing!! August crowds at Universal will be lower so you'd be able to get a lot done in one day. I would say that if you're ok with the one day one park ticket price at Universal, I would choose that. The kids would really enjoy the Despicable Me, Simpsons, and Harry Potter areas!

That's awesome! Keep in mind that most of the HP rides are on IOA but there is still plenty to do in Universal.

Personal choice. I'd show the kids the rides at all three parks and let them decide.

IOA has the Forbidden Journey ride and a small coaster at Hogsmeade, Universal's Diagon Alley has Gringott's. So not a huge ride difference there in terms of the Harry Potter sections.

IOA has a 3 water rides, where Universal has none, so that may sway you as well.

JMO... but if I were your kids already spending 9 days at WDW...I would go for a day at Volcano Bay (especially in August, ride cues at Universal are mostly outside!!!) which is $35 dollars cheaper than 1 day 1 park which is $115. I like Universal and all but so many of their rides are the same..Disney has more variety. Just a thought

The saving grace at Seaworld is that it has some of the best coasters in Florida. If your family are not coaster people, I would skip Seaworld.

I'd say go to SeaWorld- you'll have an all around much more pleasant and enjoyable experience, which goes a long way toward having a memorable trip. I'm slightly biased because they're so much better to their pass holders than the other parks, but there are still many reasons for anyone to choose SeaWorld for a one-day excursion. First, I can guarantee the crowds at SeaWorld will not be an issue. Even if the park is packed the lines are never more than 30 minutes for anything, and there are so many nifty little things to see and do that the park never feels overrun (though watch out for the stampede that happens right after the last Shamu show of the day and any sort of nighttime lagoon show like Ignite); I've always encountered long lines and Times Square-like crowds at Universal, even during the 'slow' season. Second, the rides (in my opinion) are better and more varied, and overall there's much more to see and do at SeaWorld than at Universal, so regardless of your interests you'll still have a full day's worth of things to do. Universal has replaced nearly all of its attractions with screen-based simulators, and after one or two they all start to blend together and feel like the same ride. SeaWorld has a pretty comprehensive mix of different ride types, with kid-oriented rides, water rides (including a new one that should be open by then), roller coasters that each have some unique element to them, dark rides, simulators, a sky tower, and even paddle boats. They also have a bunch of shows, like 360-degree 3D shows, educational shows about animals, a couple of theatrical shows with and without animals, and if you go in August there will be several additional shows for Electric Ocean. Sadly, Universal has eliminated most of its shows, leaving just an animal show, a makeup show, and Shrek 4D if you want to count that; their nighttime show is currently out of commission. Third, there's the whole price thing: SeaWorld is just immensely cheaper, especially on the tickets.
Of course, that's what I think. What's more important is which park will make you and your family happy- I'm just trying to lay out some points for consideration.

Last edited:
I say sea world.
Although I do like Universal, you will have just spent over a week doing disney. Sea world will be a nice cooling down period after that. Get all day dining and you can pop in for just a snack or a drink, or a burger. Take the tower thing $2 each for an unbelievable view of Orlando. Pet sting rays, one of my favorite things. You can feed them too. Go see the penguins. Not to mention, they have the best coasters I have ever ridden.

We always do 2 days universal, and at least 2 days sea world. Usually 3 sometimes 4 days there. That is how much my family enjoys it.

Be sure to check out the pet show which can be a little hidden. They take animals from local pounds and turn them into stars. You never know what you will see. From dogs and cats to chickens and turtles.

Several animal feeding chances.

Are you staying onsite at Disney? If so, I think I would do a resort/pool day. If no, maybe do a Disney water park or Volcano Bay at Universal somewhere in the middle of those 9 days instead of doing Universal or Sea world.

I vote for a day at Sea World.

• By the end of the trip, everyone will be tired and ready for a break. Sitting and watching shows would be my pick over standing in line for more rides.
  • The cost would be much less.
    • A one day ticket is less.
    • The meal plan is one of the only park plans that actually offers a good value.
    • The skip the line and reserved show seating options are much more affordable than EP is and usually not needed anyway.
  • SW will be less crowded.
    • I personally know I wouldn’t enjoy only one day at US without early entry or EP. The crowds and lines would really get to me, and I’d easily get hot, tired, and cranky and be done with it all.
  • There is plenty to do that both the 8 year old and 13 can enjoy together. Some of the attractions at Universal might be iffy for the 8 year old.
  • There are minimal motion sickness, thrill ride, and scare concerns at SW, compared to Universal.
  • The OP can probably see most or all of what they want to do in one day at Sea World, as you usually only need 1 to 1.5 days there. Sea World has less overall to do and see than Universal does as it is only one park, compared to 3 parks. Since the OP has only the one day, I’d pick SW over Universal which would be better enjoyed over a longer trip, say when they had 3 or more days to devote.

I’d do Universal if:

• You don’t enjoy shows, educational entertainment, or aquariums.
  • You really want to experience thrill rides or simulators.
  • There is something at Universal that you just can’t stand not getting to do.
    • For instance, meeting a Minion is your 8 year old’s dream.
  • Harry Potter is a must do and this would be your only chance.
    • HP would be better experienced by going to both parks, seeing the castle, eating in the restaurants, playing with the wands, and riding the train, so I’d save it for a different trip where you have more time or can afford 1 day park to park tickets, unless this is a now or never type thing.

Universal- but I would do two days there. Stay at one of the resorts at UO where you get ep for one night, go to the parks the both the day you check in and the day you check out and use the ep both days. Do it after your Disney trip though because the ep will spoil you for lines. And you really need more than one day to see UO (you really need 3).

I would do Volcano Bay. Best water park we have ever been to. Just absolutely wonderful.

Otherwise, I agree with @damo in letting the kids decide.

I would actually do a Disney waterpark. The last Orlando vacation we did was in August and it was SO hot. We actually enjoyed our waterpark time almost more than the Disney park time.

I swore we wouldnt ever go back in the summer, lol. But this year we are going end of July/August to Universal. Its all about when my kids can actually go and oldest will be grown up soon. We did opt for express pass though, which I am SUPER excited about!

Seaworld has some awesome coasters. The shows are good too. Universal is obviously a favorite too. Whatever you decide, have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter