• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1 Day in Orlando: what would you do?

JonMcIntosh

Jonathan McIntosh
Long time lurker, first time caller here, planning our first cruise ever. (FWIW: 7-day Western Caribbean on the Fantasy leaving out of Port Canaveral, October 8 of this year.) Grateful for the wisdom of this forum.

We're flying in the morning of the cruise (I know, I know, never ever ever do this, but I didn't have a lot of other options... we get to MCO at 8:40 a.m. so hopefully we will be fine. All fingers and toes crossed.) BUT more importantly, the best flight back our family departs MCO early Sunday morning. We debark the Fantasy on Saturday, leaving us with a little less than 24 hours in Orlando.

Question: what would you do with a single post cruise day in Orlando?

Here are my current options, ranked:
-A day at Hollywood Studios (we have not been to that park since the advent of Galaxy's Edge and MMRR). (An extra $1k in park tix).
-A day at Hollywood Studios and then hop to Epcot via Skyliner for Remy and Harmonious (neither of which we've experienced.) (Downside for our family of 6 is that Park Hoppers cost an extra $400 to add).
-A swim day at our hotel (Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek has like 5 pools and 2 lazy rivers) followed up by dinner at Disney Springs.
-A swim day at our hotel but add Drawn to Life at Disney Springs (that's almost as expensive as park tix).
-Skip WDW and head to UOR. (But I've heard the Hogwarts Express is down).
-Head to UOR and just do Volcano Bay (Which our kids adore. They love that water park.)

Whatever we do will be complete surprise to the whole family.

For those of you that have done a post-cruise park day, is it too much? There are six (6!) of us, so we don't do anything really quickly and we have to be at MCO at like 5:30 a.m. the next morning. Also, am I insane?

Any thoughts/advice/prayers/offerings of incense/the number of your therapist I'll gladly receive.

Thanks, hugs and kisses.

-Jonathan

Last edited:
I think a lot of this depends on personal preference and budget! There really isn't a wrong answer, especially since this will be a fun surprise for the kiddos no matter what you do.

I personally would either:
A) Do a day at just DHS to soak in Galaxy's Edge and experience Runaway Railroad. I wouldn't bother with Park Hoppers, it's a huge additional expense for only a couple of hours of different offerings
B) Swim day at the hotel + Disney Springs dinner. You get a relaxing day plus a fun sprinkling of Disney by hitting up DS. I wouldn't book Drawn to Life on top of that, it's so much to cram into one day.
C) A Volcano Bay Day. I adore VB, and think the relaxing vibes would be the perfect way to compliment the end of a Disney Cruise!

I think a lot of this depends on personal preference and budget! There really isn't a wrong answer, especially since this will be a fun surprise for the kiddos no matter what you do.

I personally would either:
A) Do a day at just DHS to soak in Galaxy's Edge and experience Runaway Railroad. I wouldn't bother with Park Hoppers, it's a huge additional expense for only a couple of hours of different offerings
B) Swim day at the hotel + Disney Springs dinner. You get a relaxing day plus a fun sprinkling of Disney by hitting up DS. I wouldn't book Drawn to Life on top of that, it's so much to cram into one day.
C) A Volcano Bay Day. I adore VB, and think the relaxing vibes would be the perfect way to compliment the end of a Disney Cruise!
Thanks so much @CarouselofColor. Those really are the top options and all those are do-able budget wise. Tix for all of us to Volcano Bay is about $500 and as I mentioned earlier, 1 day park tickets for WDW run us almost $1k. I think my kids would prefer your (C) for the reasons you mentioned (my teens love to use the word "vibes" when talking about VB.) I think I would prefer (A) as a Stars Fan who hasn't yet experienced Galaxy's Edge (I feel like a heretic even admitting that.)

Thanks again.

Long time lurker, first time caller here, planning our first cruise ever. (FWIW: 7-day Western Caribbean on the Fantasy leaving out of Port Canaveral, October 8 of this year.) Grateful for the wisdom of this forum.

We're flying in the morning of the cruise (I know, I know, never ever ever do this, but I didn't have a lot of other options... we get to MCO at 8:40 a.m. so hopefully we will be fine. All fingers and toes crossed.) BUT more importantly, the best flight back our family departs MCO early Sunday morning. We debark the Fantasy on Saturday, leaving us with a little less than 24 hours in Orlando.

Question: what would you do with a sing post cruise day in Orlando?

Here are my current options, ranked:
-A day at Hollywood Studios (we have not been to that park since the advent of Galaxy's Edge and MMRR). (An extra $1k in park tix).
-A day at Hollywood Studios and then hop to Epcot via Skyliner for Remy and Harmonious (neither of which we've experienced.) (Downside for our family of 6 is that Park Hoppers cost an extra $400 to add).
-A swim day at our hotel (Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek has like 5 pools and 2 lazy rivers) followed up by dinner at Disney Springs.
-A swim day at our hotel but add Drawn to Life at Disney Springs (that's almost as expensive as park tix).
-Skip WDW and head to UOR. (But I've heard the Hogwarts Express is down).
-Head to UOR and just do Volcano Bay (Which our kids adore. They love that water park.)

Whatever we do will be complete surprise to the whole family.

For those of you that have done a post-cruise park day, is it too much? There are six (6!) of us, so we don't do anything really quickly and we have to be at MCO at like 5:30 a.m. the next morning. Also, am I insane?

Any thoughts/advice/prayers/offerings of incense/the number of your therapist I'll gladly receive.

Thanks, hugs and kisses.

-Jonathan
Coming from a mom that has a party of 6 including 4 kids, I would do a swim day at the hotel and dinner at Disney Springs. We actually did this exact thing a few years ago before our last cruise.

By the time you get off the boat, get to Orlando and checked into the hotel everyone will most likely be exhausted and cranky. But depending on the age of the rest of your party Volcano Bay also sounds like it could be doable as well. I wouldn't waste the cost of a Disney park day or hopper tickets when you need to be at MCO the next morning at 530am.

Coming from a mom that has a party of 6 including 4 kids, I would do a swim day at the hotel and dinner at Disney Springs. We actually did this exact thing a few years ago before our last cruise.

By the time you get off the boat, get to Orlando and checked into the hotel everyone will most likely be exhausted and cranky. But depending on the age of the rest of your party Volcano Bay also sounds like it could be doable as well. I wouldn't waste the cost of a Disney park day or hopper tickets when you need to be at MCO the next morning at 530am.
Thanks, @minniemouse1, this sounds like wisdom. (To your question, our kids are 7, 10, 14, and 16, but they can definitely get cranky... as all tired humans can.)

So, I'm definitely eliminating the Park Hopper option, and the relaxing pool day probably makes the most sense and is also most cost efficient option. Here's where I'm torn, as I'm sure you can imagine: we don't get to the parks that often and the last time we were there was 2019, right before Galaxy's Edge opened. (We could see the land from Slinky Dog Dash.) It's going to be hard to be so near the parks and not go in.

So, as I said, I'm torn. 🤪

Will you be back soon and able to see Galaxy's Edge? If the answer is yes, I'd go with a relaxing day. If the answer is no. I'd cram it all in and see what you really want to. I hate to feel like I wish I had seen something I missed. Our family travel style often involves seeing as much as possible in a limited time, not sure if your family is used to that.

Thanks, @minniemouse1, this sounds like wisdom. (To your question, our kids are 7, 10, 14, and 16, but they can definitely get cranky... as all tired humans can.)

So, I'm definitely eliminating the Park Hopper option, and the relaxing pool day probably makes the most sense and is also most cost efficient option. Here's where I'm torn, as I'm sure you can imagine: we don't get to the parks that often and the last time we were there was 2019, right before Galaxy's Edge opened. (We could see the land from Slinky Dog Dash.) It's going to be hard to be so near the parks and not go in.

So, as I said, I'm torn. 🤪
We have only been to Magic Kingdom once with our kids and it was back in 2008. We have talked about it but always did a cruise when they were little as it was more of a vacation for us as adults then when we did go to parks it was always Universal. We have been there several times and probably won't go back anytime soon or maybe ever so I can't chime in on what you might be missing at the parks. No matter what you choose you will always say "maybe we should of done xyz instead". It always happens to me anyway. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

I think Hollywood Studios will be challenging - you won't get there at rope drop and it's a park where it's hard to do the things you want if you don't have a solid plan right now. The parks have gotten really busy in mid-October too. I personally would hate for that day to be a disappointment.

I'd do Drawn to Life and dinner at DS.

I do the swim day plus Disney Springs or Volcano Bay. I’m a dad with 4 kids almost same ages. We’ve been to Orlando multiple times for cruises recently without doing park days and have enjoyed the fun you can find without. We haven’t done Volcano Bay but that seems like a fun more relaxing option that could work well.

If you go to Galaxy’s Edge you have to ride Rise of the Resistance which likely means a long line or being tempted to spend more on Genie Plus. I’ve only done Galaxy’s Edge once and it was really cool to see but with my kids I really didn’t get to explore and take it in like I’d like. There wasn’t a ton to keep them engaged outside of the rides at least at the time which was during Covid restrictions maybe it has changed. Mickey and Minnies ride is also cool but overall Hollywood Studios wasn’t our favorite park. I’d be less inclined to try and do it after a cruise when everyone may be tired and have less patience.

If you do Disney Springs I highly recommend stopping by Salt and Straw. Really good and unique ice cream and totally different from all the soft serve you get on the ship (which I also love).

We do the same cruise two weeks after you. I’m super excited to see what the Halloween cruises bring this year. Our only experience was last year which was a fun cruise but the Halloween festivities were muted with cruising just returning.

Regardless of what you decide you will have a great time. Enjoy your first cruise!

Will you be back soon and able to see Galaxy's Edge? If the answer is yes, I'd go with a relaxing day. If the answer is no. I'd cram it all in and see what you really want to. I hate to feel like I wish I had seen something I missed. Our family travel style often involves seeing as much as possible in a limited time, not sure if your family is used to that.
Thanks for your feedback, @AgentMama I hope we're back to the parks soon, but it maybe a year. This was initially going to be a parks trip until I discovered that we could do more for less on DCL.

We have only been to Magic Kingdom once with our kids and it was back in 2008. We have talked about it but always did a cruise when they were little as it was more of a vacation for us as adults then when we did go to parks it was always Universal. We have been there several times and probably won't go back anytime soon or maybe ever so I can't chime in on what you might be missing at the parks. No matter what you choose you will always say "maybe we should of done xyz instead". It always happens to me anyway. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Thanks, @minniemouse1.

I think Hollywood Studios will be challenging - you won't get there at rope drop and it's a park where it's hard to do the things you want if you don't have a solid plan right now. The parks have gotten really busy in mid-October too. I personally would hate for that day to be a disappointment.

I'd do Drawn to Life and dinner at DS.
That makes a lot of sense, @MonaMN. Have you seen Drawn to Life yet? I've gotten mixed reports.

I do the swim day plus Disney Springs or Volcano Bay. I’m a dad with 4 kids almost same ages. We’ve been to Orlando multiple times for cruises recently without doing park days and have enjoyed the fun you can find without. We haven’t done Volcano Bay but that seems like a fun more relaxing option that could work well.

If you go to Galaxy’s Edge you have to ride Rise of the Resistance which likely means a long line or being tempted to spend more on Genie Plus. I’ve only done Galaxy’s Edge once and it was really cool to see but with my kids I really didn’t get to explore and take it in like I’d like. There wasn’t a ton to keep them engaged outside of the rides at least at the time which was during Covid restrictions maybe it has changed. Mickey and Minnies ride is also cool but overall Hollywood Studios wasn’t our favorite park. I’d be less inclined to try and do it after a cruise when everyone may be tired and have less patience.

If you do Disney Springs I highly recommend stopping by Salt and Straw. Really good and unique ice cream and totally different from all the soft serve you get on the ship (which I also love).

We do the same cruise two weeks after you. I’m super excited to see what the Halloween cruises bring this year. Our only experience was last year which was a fun cruise but the Halloween festivities were muted with cruising just returning.

Regardless of what you decide you will have a great time. Enjoy your first cruise!
This makes a lot of sense, @greensombrero. Thank you. And, yes, if did HS, I know I would have to purchase the Individual Lightning Lane for Rise.

And, yes, we're excited for Halloween on the High Seas, too! Have a great cruise.

What about visiting the Kennedy Space Center? It is doable In a day, closes somewhat early and you could easily stay at a hotel near the airport saving time in the morning.
I have not considered it, but I'll throw that in the mix. Does your family enjoy it?

That makes a lot of sense, @MonaMN. Have you seen Drawn to Life yet? I've gotten mixed reports.
I haven't seen it but really want to. I went to a Cirque show probably 15 years ago and loved it, so I think I'd enjoy it. I'm a little worried that it won't be around long enough for us to get to it since we probably won't do another WDW trip until at least 2024.

We have done a lot of Saturdays in Orlando with flights on Sunday. What we really prefer is do the pool day. And plan a dinner that evening along the monorail hotels or skyliner.
We like getting off the cruise. Then heading to a nice resort like boardwalk or beach club and just chilling. Now a problem is not having our room ready til like 4.
We have done crazy head to the park days. It’s tiring after a seven day cruise to suddenly stand in line at the parks.
If cost of tickets is Not an issue, then I would do a slow start at DHS. Get your genie plus going at 7am so when you get to the park at 930 or so you have a LL already and can hang out at galaxy edge.
I wouldn’t make it a packed day at the park.
But we are doing this next April, and our goal is to just chill at hotel, maybe walk Disney springs and have dinner somewhere.

But….I know another but. After seven days of huge meals I the ship, we have chosen very simple dinners as well. We have AP for the parks so we literally would go to Epcot to just eat a few things and leave.

I haven't seen it but really want to. I went to a Cirque show probably 15 years ago and loved it, so I think I'd enjoy it. I'm a little worried that it won't be around long enough for us to get to it since we probably won't do another WDW trip until at least 2024.
I've heard that for tradition Cirque fans it's too Disney-ish but every Disney fan thinks its amazing, so I would probably love it.

We have done a lot of Saturdays in Orlando with flights on Sunday. What we really prefer is do the pool day. And plan a dinner that evening along the monorail hotels or skyliner.
We like getting off the cruise. Then heading to a nice resort like boardwalk or beach club and just chilling. Now a problem is not having our room ready til like 4.
We have done crazy head to the park days. It’s tiring after a seven day cruise to suddenly stand in line at the parks.
If cost of tickets is Not an issue, then I would do a slow start at DHS. Get your genie plus going at 7am so when you get to the park at 930 or so you have a LL already and can hang out at galaxy edge.
I wouldn’t make it a packed day at the park.
But we are doing this next April, and our goal is to just chill at hotel, maybe walk Disney springs and have dinner somewhere.

But….I know another but. After seven days of huge meals I the ship, we have chosen very simple dinners as well. We have AP for the parks so we literally would go to Epcot to just eat a few things and leave.
This is very helpful, @Joel0917. Thank you. What is your favorite non-park restaurant? Or your top five for your family?

I would think you'd be too tired to go to a Disney Park. But if you do choose to go to DHS, know that you may not get on Rise of the Resistance. It breaks down all of the time and if you're not staying at a Disney resort, your chances of getting a ILL for it are nil. Personally ,I was a huge Star Wars fan but Galaxies Edge was a huge disappointment. I enjoy Star Tours more than RotR and the Millenium Falcon ride. It's a small land that's extremely crowded. It's hard to enjoy the place with the crowds. If you don't get to go this trip, maybe it will be less crowded by the time that you do get to go back. Also, if you have a VR headset (or even a laptop), you can get a pretty good feel for the ride through VR rides. My kids want to go back to see Remy and told them to watch it in VR. It's better because there's no lines lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter