1/10-17/14 - A "Marathon" vacation. 4 Parks, 26.2 Miles, A Magical Trip! UPDATED!

EMHDad

DIS Veteran
“All our dreams can come true
if we have the courage to pursue them.”

-Walt Disney​

Hello everyone. My name is Tom. This was our fourth family Disney trip and my first Disney Trip Report. We combined a Disney Marathon with a family vacation. Let's introduce the Characters of this Disney Trip.

From Left to Right:

Ashley Olson: Honorary Family Member. She started out as a youth in our former church and our babysitter. She is one of my wife's best friends, and is basically our little sister.

Eli: Our youngest son. Age 4.
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Attractions: Peter Pan's Flight, Goofy's Barnstormer, Big Thunder Mountain, Soarin'
Favorite Characters: Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Jake
Favorite Movie: Peter Pan

Joe: Father-in-Law. Hasn't been to Disney in 20+ years. Last time was in the summer with no touring plan and no FP system.

Owen: Our oldest son. Age 7.
Favorite Attractions: Haunted Mansion, Star Tours, Jedi Training Academy, Soarin'
Favorite Characters: Dash, Bolt, Lightening McQueen
Favorite Movie: The Incredibles

Joannie: Mother-In-Law. Same as Father-in-Law

Tom(Me): Grew up in Florida close to Disney. Favorite childhood memory is a Disney day with family. Still, didn't get the 'Disney Bug' until my first trip as a dad.
Favorite Attractions: Thunder Mountain, POTC, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain
Favorite Characters: Woody, Flynn Rider, Wreck-it-Ralph, Lumiere
Favorite Movie: Toy Story Trilogy

Kim: Wife. Loves Disney almost as much as I do.
Favorite Park: TBA
Favorite Attractions: TBA
Favorite Characters: TBA
Favorite Movie: TBA

Now You know the players. Let's know the game.

When: January 10-17, 2014
Where: Wyndhan Bonnet Creek (First Stay)
What: Disney Marathon & Disney Family Vacation
Why: Lifelong Goal, Escape of the Illinois Cold, & A Magical Experience

Day 1: Friday

We live in Illinois on the Wisconsin border. We have always flown out of Chicago, but this time we decided to try Rockford. SCORE! First, we had a 40 minute drive instead of a 3 hour drive. We park in the parking lot(For Free!) and walk 100 yards. Within another 100 yards we are through the counter, past security and waiting to board the plane. It was a very interesting experience to leave the house completely bundled in clothes, and discard a lot of it right before entering the airport.

Everyone got their own shirt. The boys are giving Ashley her shirt.

Kim, Ashley, Owen, Eli and I were close. I had the boys in my row. Kim & Ashely sat right behind us. Kim and I were dreading the flight. 18 months ago it was a nightmare with a 2 year old. This time was a cake walk. The kids and I read books, watched Disney movies on my phone and hung out.

Eli charming the passengers of the plane

In no time we were in Sanford, FL. By the time we reached Sanford it was 2:00pm. My family lives in Daytona Beach. We had dinner plans with my sister and her family at a place called 4 Rivers Smokehouse in Longwood.

If you need a place to go in east Orlando, go there! It is a step up from fast food, but still counter service (a la Panera or Chipotle). It has great bar-b-que and a perfect atmosphere for kids. It’s not too stuffy, but not Burger King either. My niece is two and it is so great to spend some time with them.

Owen, my sister Samantha & my niece Harper

Harper tickling Owen

We got to Bonnet Creek around 7:00pm. We have never stayed there, but were excited about finally being on Disney property (without really being on Disney property, if you know what I mean.) Check in was easy. Except, they tried to fool us into a time share presentation. We were enticed with 40-50% off on our Disney tickets. Upon seeing the math, it was more like 10-15% off. $750 is worth a timeshare presentation. $200 is not.

Still, the room was amazing. We had a two bedroom deluxe in building 5 facing the lake. I went out for a quick shopping trip while the kids were given a bath and put to bed. By 9:30pm we were asleep and excited for our first day.

Next Post: Day 2: Animal Kingdom

Day 2: Saturday

We woke up early Saturday to spend the morning in Animal Kingdom. This is our only Animal Kingdom day and we only had the morning. (Needed to rest the legs.)

We start at the front of the line. Immediately we go to the FP+ station. I have never participated in this before and I was a little nervous. However, I must admit, although I wish we got more than 3 FP, I am ok with the system. I would not want to experience it in the summer with a larger crowd though.

First Stop - Kilimanjaro Safaris. This is a must for us. The animals are more active in the morning and it is such a great experience. Best part: seeing a giraffe running! Wow! the animal was fast, graceful and breathtaking. Eli went crazy over the lions. All in all, amazing excursion.

Afterward, we headed to Expedition Everest. Owen, Ashley & I went first. This was Owen's first time on EE. (Just hit the height) He did not have a good time. lol. However, he was brave and willing. I couldn't ask for more.

Kim & Ashley took their turn while I took the boys to Dinoland.

Eli's first time on Dinosaur. (Exactly 40") He was freaked out. Talked about the ride for a couple of days and the 'bad dinosaur'. Still, he was brave as well. Awesome kid.

After Dinoland, we watched Finding Nemo. It's been 4 years since we attended the show. It was nice. Sitting for a while was pleasant as well. Following Finding Nemo was seeing Tigger and Pooh, watching It's a Bug's Life, and heading out by 12:30pm.

Last picture before leaving. Great Animal Kingdom day.

From 12:30pm on we tried to take it easy. My mom, youngest sister and sister-in-law came over to Bonnet Creek to spend the day with us. They and the kids went mini-putting at Bonnet Creek while Ashley & I headed to the Expo for our bibs and shirts. We made a bigger Spaghetti dinner. (Great pre-race dinner). Meanwhile, Kim's parents arrived at Bonnet Creek and settled in.

After a quick hot tub trip, I was in bed by 7:30pm.

...Day 3: Sunday

Day 3: Sunday

Marathon Day!!!

I have been stressing about this moment for months. I am not talking about the marathon. I am referring to the wake up. All advice suggested waking up by 3:00am and leaving by 3:45am. I assumed I would spend most of the night tossing and turning, but I got a surprising good amount of sleep. My clothes and supplies were laid out and ready to go. The 45 minutes went by FAST and after a piece of peanut butter toast and a banana, Ashley and I were heading out the door.

I think we look pretty good for 3:45am.

I was warned that even though we were a mile away (Bonnet Creek-Epcot), the travel time could be like 45 minutes. Don't get me wrong, the roads were crowded. However, it was smooth, and took like 5-6 minutes.

It was about a quarter mile from the parking lot to the staging area. Grrr, walking before the marathon. A dj was playing music. I used the restroom. My adrenaline was FLOWING.

A 'before' photo at the staging area.

I incorrectly assumed we were about where we would start the race. From the staging area, we walked another .5-1.0 miles to the corrals. Despite the long walked, I was very impressed with Disney to organize 26,000 runners with little to no confusion.

Unfortunately, we had a 45 minute wait until the start of the race, and another 45 minute wait until our corral was released. (However, we were the start of corral N, and that was nice.)

Waiting for the start of the race

Let the marathon begin!

More to come!

Day 3 Continued...Marathon Time!

Around 6:15am (45 minutes after the start) we began. Ashley and I were at the front of our corral and at the blast of the fireworks my heart was pounding. We began to be passed left and right. I made a concerted effort to begin as slowly as possible. The first mile was kept at about a 14mpm pace. That was perfect. The air was cool, but not cold. Although it had rained earlier, it was clear at that point. I could not have asked for better race conditions.

Traveled this road many times. Never on foot!

Mile 2 marked our first character meet and greet. I made a promise that I would greet every character I could (outside of the common ones in the park).

Captain Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbarosa!

I really wanted this picture. POTC is my all time favorite movie. I was worried about lines. Only like 8 people in front of us. I waited like 4 minutes.

At you can see, mile 2 was an 18 minute mile. That includes our wait and character greeting.

Running through the magic kingdom entrance!

At this point I am feeling great. No pain. No stiffness. No chin splints. Bring it!

Shortly after the entrance we hit mile 3.

Again, about a 14 minute mile. Slow, but steady.

More to Come...

Marathon: Miles 4-6

After mile 3 we started to hit the Magic Kingdom parking lot, passing the Speedway and the Contemporary Resort. It was a little difficult to see the people 6 miles ahead of us running on the speedway. lol Still, I was in a great mood. Around mile 4 I saw a very rare character!

Jack Skellington!

Mile 4! Just past the TTA
About a 17 mpm pace. That includes another line and character meet and greet.

Mile 5! Just outside of Space Mountain. Terrible placement of the sign for taking pictures. About a 16 pm pace here. Keeping it really slow. Taking a lot of walk breaks.

Running down Main Street

In front of the Castle

In Tomorrowland, Ashley and I decide to split up somewhat. She kept going while I got some character pictures.

Buzz Lightyear. I kept going.

Meeting the White Rabbit by the Tea Cups.

[URL=http://s39.photobucket.com/user/tombourkejr/media/IMG_20140112_075641_566_zps2185b6c8.jpg.html]

Tigger. Common character. Kept running

DSCN3261_zps68210ae8.jpg
[/URL]

Passing the carousel

Running through the castle was an amazing experience. I tried to soak in every aspect. It went by so fact, but it was nothing short of magical.

Right before the castle I saw Mickey and Minnie in their royal attire. I wanted the picture a lot, but it was the longest line of the day and easily a 20 minute wait.

In front of the Castle one last time.

Meeting Louis the alligator from Princess and the Frog

Mile 6! Frontierland. I completed about a 18 mpm pace. Remember, I had a lot of character stops and smell the roses moments!

Side note: The marathon winner finished 4 minutes and 12 seconds before I took this picture. lol

More to Come...

I'm in! I'm enjoying reading about your marathon experience I really want to sign up to run it next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter