“Welcome Home Reservation” voided

I would imagine that DVD could always buy back transfered points from the hotels and cruise line, etc. In other words, someone trades points for a cruise; DCL could transfer the points back via some sort of charge back to DVD. I don't know the legal or technical terminology but I'd be surprised if there weren't ways to get units back into into inventory that have been traded out. The small cost of that one transfer is diminimous compared to the profit on the direct sale. (and its all "in the family" anyway so I'm sure their own companies cut each other whatever deals work best for themselves)

Regardless of what we see, DVD always seem to be able to find a room when it benefits them. (shocking, I know. :rolleyes:)

I would imagine that DVD could always buy back transfered points from the hotels and cruise line, etc. In other words, someone trades points for a cruise; DCL could transfer the points back via some sort of charge back to DVD. I don't know the legal or technical terminology but I'd be surprised if there weren't ways to get units back into into inventory that have been traded out. The small cost of that one transfer is diminimous compared to the profit on the direct sale. (and its all "in the family" anyway so I'm sure their own companies cut each other whatever deals work best for themselves)

Regardless of what we see, DVD always seem to be able to find a room when it benefits them. (shocking, I know. :rolleyes:)
Ha.. right! You’re a vet... you know all about this welcome home rez right scubacat?

That is what is referred to as clawback - all cash rooms have a point basis, either in points owner by Disney or acquired via trade. To get the cash units back is a clawback.

When I did my phone call yesterday as a new direct member they stated it was for any resort, but had to make the reservation within the first 6 months. I asked if I can do it at the 8 month and she put me on hold, came back and told me no. This is sad since I am going in Feb, but can't make reservations until I first get airline tickets and those are not out yet.
Just curious as to why you’d need to buy airline tickets first. I always book the room first then airfare to secure my reservation then shop for the best fare.

They mean "having bought into any resort." They do not guarantee you will get your home resort, or any other resort, or especially specific unit/view types. It is based on what inventory THEY can claw back. They won't kick one of the 5 people to have booked AKV Club Studio out for you at 5 months, for instance, just because you bought AKV and asked for Club as your Welcome Home.
They said they had cash rooms that for the Welcome Home package they can use. Of course nothing is a guarantee but they said they usually get what guest request. I'm sure they do to make sure it's more magical the first time.

They said they had cash rooms that for the Welcome Home package they can use. Of course nothing is a guarantee but they said they usually get what guest request. I'm sure they do to make sure it's more magical the first time.
...they overstate many things. Get used to that.

Just curious as to why you’d need to buy airline tickets first. I always book the room first then airfare to secure my reservation then shop for the best fare.
I'm going in February so it's school vacation so I usually alter my dates according to best airfare. Having current southwest miles I will only look at that airline so I wanted to book airfare first so I know my dates since I don't know if they will still give me the welcome home reservation if I have to change or alter it.

I'm going in February so it's school vacation so I usually alter my dates according to best airfare. Having current southwest miles I will only look at that airline so I wanted to book airfare first so I know my dates since I don't know if they will still give me the welcome home reservation if I have to change or alter it.

I think of the Welcome Home reservation as something when you buy and want to go with a little more short notice. I don't think it was ever designed to be something that you wait to use when you could otherwise have booked in the normal booking windows further out. I wouldn't worry about this particular "perk" for that - just book what you are looking for yourself and modify if necessary.

I think of the Welcome Home reservation as something when you buy and want to go with a little more short notice. I don't think it was ever designed to be something that you wait to use when you could otherwise have booked in the normal booking windows further out. I wouldn't worry about this particular "perk" for that - just book what you are looking for yourself and modify if necessary.
I figured I would just use this perk to book a place I might never get at 7 mo, but if I can't no big deal. I still get to be on property for less than cash rentals and I will have a great time with my family that's what is really important.

I figured I would just use this perk to book a place I might never get at 7 mo

That's not what they tend to do. The "magic" of the Welcome Home is "getting you a room AT ALL," not "getting you your hopes and dreams."

I figured I would just use this perk to book a place I might never get at 7 mo, but if I can't no big deal. I still get to be on property for less than cash rentals and I will have a great time with my family that's what is really important.

I don't believe they are going to ever circumvent the home priority booking. That would be breaking the rules and would not be done. If they did it that far out it would only be pulling back a room at your home resort and that's likely a good part of why they don't offer it for a reservation that far out. They will get you other resorts because they are within the 7 month window when using it as was originally intended.

When i bought in January of 18, my sales rep said, if I was trying to book a trip as my 1st trip....and couldnt find what i needed, to call in and let them know it was my welcome home trip and they SOMETIMES were able to help out with hidden inventory for instances like this. No other details were given.

When i did book my 1st trip, for this june...i was missing the 1st day of a 5 day trip. i called in and asked about the "welcome home" trip help....and the CM said...no....can't help you....and she put my on a wait list (which i got 3 weeks later)

That's not what they tend to do. The "magic" of the Welcome Home is "getting you a room AT ALL," not "getting you your hopes and dreams."

I'm not entirely sure about that. I've twice met people at SAB who bought at PVB (when it was being sold actively) just a month or 2 prior. It's unlikely they got a BCV studio or any BCV room, really, on their own 4-6 weeks out from arrival. (I always talk to people sporting "new member" buttons so I can steer them to resale for future purchases. ;))

FWIW, our experience with this:
We bought at Poly on our stay last October, and then decided pretty quick to take our first trip back "home" in February. All the Poly studios were booked when I looked online, but our sales rep and closing agent had both mentioned that Member services could help out on a short-notice return trip, and so we called and they did.

When i bought in January of 18, my sales rep said, if I was trying to book a trip as my 1st trip....and couldnt find what i needed, to call in and let them know it was my welcome home trip and they SOMETIMES were able to help out with hidden inventory for instances like this. No other details were given.

When i did book my 1st trip, for this june...i was missing the 1st day of a 5 day trip. i called in and asked about the "welcome home" trip help....and the CM said...no....can't help you....and she put my on a wait list (which i got 3 weeks later)
I think this was the case bc there wasn’t flexibility built in to your end really. They really didn’t have anything I’m guessing for that one night you needed.

I'm not entirely sure about that. I've twice met people at SAB who bought at PVB (when it was being sold actively) just a month or 2 prior. It's unlikely they got a BCV studio or any BCV room, really, on their own 4-6 weeks out from arrival. (I always talk to people sporting "new member" buttons so I can steer them to resale for future purchases. ;))

There has to be cash availability. So it's not out of the realm of possibility to find a BLT or BCV studio on cash. I wouldn't count on, say, AKV Club Studio, or VGF studio. I have definitely seen some people in the DVC groups on Facebook whining that they did a Welcome Home with 90-120 days notice and got Saratoga or AKV Standard, and they wanted (insert unicorn here).

There has to be cash availability. So it's not out of the realm of possibility to find a BLT or BCV studio on cash. I wouldn't count on, say, AKV Club Studio, or VGF studio. I have definitely seen some people in the DVC groups on Facebook whining that they did a Welcome Home with 90-120 days notice and got Saratoga or AKV Standard, and they wanted (insert unicorn here).

I'm sure, like everything else Disney, it depends on who you talk to. I renewed our DVC APs and the member services agent didn't know that resale pre- April 2016 was eligible. Such is the joy of owning DVC.

After already owning resale, we added on direct at BWV and asked our guide if they give help booking our first resie with the points and she said no. This was 2014.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter