“bonus points” when buying direct?

WestCoastDVC

Earning My Ears
DVC Silver
I read a couple of times how Disney gives you “bonus points” when buying direct and then others saying they are “just the points you are entitled to anyway.”

Can someone clarify why that is? Are these basically points that Disney lets you bank from the prior use year even if you buy after the banking deadline? For example, if I buy a June use year in March 2021, will Disney give me the 2020 points in addition to the points coming in June 2021 but banked so I can use them until June 2022? Or would these be points I’d have to use in April/May? Or is something else going on? Trying to see if there is any real benefit here.

When you buy, you get current UY points. But, as you mention, buying later in the UY allows you to bank them...yes, after banking deadline which is a perk of buying direct...and have double the points to use during the next UY.

So, buying in March with a June UY, gives you double points to use for trips June 1st, if banked,

DVC refers to them as a bonus because there are no extra MFs...since that is based on calendar year...and it make the buyer feel as though they were given something special,

I added on direct years ago in May for my June UY and it definitely was nice to have those “bonus” points. Timing can be key!

Yes, if you purchase a June UY direct from Disney in March 2021, you will certainly received the current points from June 2020. Yes, it has been Disney's pattern to allow these points to be banked at time of purchase.

In June 2021 you'd receive two sets of points:
a) The June 2020 points which expire on May 31, 2022 if not used.
b) The June 2021 points which may be used before May 31, 2022, or banked into June 2022 by January 31, 2022.

When you buy, you get current UY points. But, as you mention, buying later in the UY allows you to bank them...yes, after banking deadline which is a perk of buying direct...and have double the points to use during the next UY.

So, buying in March with a June UY, gives you double points to use for trips June 1st, if banked,

DVC refers to them as a bonus because there are no extra MFs...since that is based on calendar year...and it make the buyer feel as though they were given something special,

I added on direct years ago in May for my June UY and it definitely was nice to have those “bonus” points. Timing can be key!

Thanks! So there is a small real benefit here in getting to skip the banking deadline and not paying MF. Makes sense.

More than 12-15 years ago they did not refer to them that way - just as current points. Marketing decided to start using the term to sell. My guide at the time was pretty disgusted by it and we had quite the chat as she was refusing to call them that. Also since dues are on a calendar year it really only appears as if you don't pay MF's on them but most of the time you likely pay something albeit not the entire calendar year of MF's.

"Nothin's free with DVC"

Back in 2007, they gave me what they called "developer points" when I purchased Animal Kingdom. I purchased 100 AKV points and got double (200) developer points (one-time use points at 7 months or less). If they did this again, I would buy more points.

Thanks! So there is a small real benefit here in getting to skip the banking deadline and not paying MF. Makes sense.
Yes, member fees are based on calendar year. So when I added on at BLT in Nov, with my Dec use year, I got 100 points for six weeks of member fees.! (Of course I still had to pay the full direct purchase price per point). No one called them "bonus points", and I would have argued with them if they had. They are the points you are buying. As kjkevinmcg states above, he really got one-time use bonus points. They have had some different incentives through the years. When BLT opened, if you bought enough points, you got a free 3 day Disney cruise.

Last edited:

I think it is effectively a bonus even if it’s also an entitlement. If I buy SSR today with a March UY I get 33 years of points. If I buy with a December UY I get 34 years of points. Either way my costs are the same.

I think it is effectively a bonus even if it’s also an entitlement. If I buy SSR today with a March UY I get 33 years of points. If I buy with a December UY I get 34 years of points. Either way my costs are the same.

Oh that's a whole different thing you've added in! If you had bought back when the resort first opened it very probably would have been the same amount of years although there's been a couple of exceptions - Riviera Feb UY and VGC Feb, Mar and Apr UY's come to mind but it's been rare. And we really don't know how it's going to play out at the end of the contracts so I wouldn't let that affect a UY decision.

Definitely not a "bonus" though. It's just getting current points.

Has anyone had "bonus points" added if you buy with an earlier UY? I'd like Sept UY but won't be buying direct until Nov/Dec. Any chance the points would be "doubled" or must I buy with a "future" UY?

Has anyone had "bonus points" added if you buy with an earlier UY? I'd like Sept UY but won't be buying direct until Nov/Dec. Any chance the points would be "doubled" or must I buy with a "future" UY?

Well, nobody gets "bonus points". ;)
But no and that backs up how they aren't bonus points, just current year points.

Now Developer point incentives are given no matter what the UY but while those used to be used a lot for promotions it's been very rare in the past 5+ years.

Regarding MFs on these, is it accurate that buying Dec UY would mean (1) no MFs on Dec 2019 points and (2) prorated fees on 2020 points (3) but prorated to calendar year and not UY?

Regarding MFs on these, is it accurate that buying Dec UY would mean (1) no MFs on Dec 2019 points and (2) prorated fees on 2020 points (3) but prorated to calendar year and not UY?
MF are not related to use year. In this scenario you would pay pro-rated fees for 2020 and then pay full MF for 2021 in January.

The prorated amount Is from date of purchase. So, if you bought today, no matter the UY, it would be about 4 months of dues,

If you buy November 15th, it’d be about 45 days of dues, MFs are based on calendar year so that is why when adding direct, you pay from purchase date.

Since they give you access to the points right away, it starts then, and not when you actually close.

So if I understand all of this correctly, one could minimize prorated MFs by buying 11/30 with a Dec UY to pay minimal MFs but obtain the current year points added. Right?

So if I understand all of this correctly, one could minimize prorated MFs by buying 11/30 with a Dec UY to pay minimal MFs but obtain the current year points added. Right?
I wouldn’t buy quite that late just in case but that is a strategy others have shared using to save a few bucks, yes.

If you want to use your points for next spring, you risk the rooms being sold out by November if you wait that long to buy. If you want to use the initial allotment of points next November there’s little risk to that strategy.

Yes, that would work for sure when buying a new resort like RIV..maybe AUL. If looking to add on anywhere else, there is a chance they don’t have points to sell you in your UY.

But, years ago, I did indeed add on BLT points in May with my June UY and it was great to start with 100 for booking when only buying and paying 6 months of MFs on 50!

Yes if you were planning on booking further out or didn't need the home resort. Of course if you're a brand new member then DVC will help with a 6 month or less booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter