• Canon EOS 30D Digital Still Cameras • Nikon D70/D100 Digital Still Cameras

Judy from Boise

Watch out – might take away your
Hi, my DD is majoring in Digital film and video at The Art Institute in Portland.....these are the two cameras they have in the equipment cage for their still photography classes
• Canon EOS 30D Digital Still Cameras
• Nikon D70/D100 Digital Still Cameras
I would like to get here one of these or an equivalent for her birthday, any suggestions?

Those models are not around anymore. I would say that these are the closest current models:

Canon 50D or 60D
Nikon D7000 or D300s

That said, even an entry level from any manufacturer will blow away those old models. They are probably going on 5-6 years old now.

That said, even an entry level from any manufacturer will blow away those old models. They are probably going on 5-6 years old now.

I would agree, even if you could find those old models on ebay don't buy it.
Get her a gift certificate from Adorama or B&H !

Many of the film and video students I know are opting for the Rebel T2i or the Canon 7D because the HD video they put out is very good quality.

Good to know, just wanted to make sure these cameras didn't have any special features that made them unique. I hoped I could get her a better model without the hasel of checking in and out.

Yikes ! Just checked the prices ! Honestly I was hoping to stay under $500.

Yikes ! Just checked the prices ! Honestly I was hoping to stay under $500.

You could go used :confused3 That is about the only way to get that low. The entry level models are very capable cameras, so don't count them out. The Canon would be the T1i and T2i. The Nikon would be the D3100 and D5000(might be hard to find now) If she can rent out lenses from the school, then staying with Canon and Nikon is probably the way to go. If they do not have that option, or a small selection, then she might consider Pentax, Sony, and Olympus as well.

thanks, I will research them......of course I am all ready paying tuition for the cage cameras....maybe I am being too nice to my DD ! ;)
For studio work, it is easy to use the cage.......I was trying to make it easier for her when she needs to be shooting outside/on location. To be truthful she was late returning a camera once and the consequence was losing privileges for a week, which affected her grade since she needed to shoot over the weekend so didn't complete an assignment. Hard lesson.

thanks, I will research them......of course I am all ready paying tuition for the cage cameras....maybe I am being too nice to my DD ! ;)
For studio work, it is easy to use the cage.......I was trying to make it easier for her when she needs to be shooting outside/on location. To be truthful she was late returning a camera once and the consequence was losing privileges for a week, which affected her grade since she needed to shoot over the weekend so didn't complete an assignment. Hard lesson.

No offense to you and your daughter, but what kind of school is she in??? That is awful and not the way to educate students. My daughter's high school photography class is not that strict.

She is at the Art Institute in Portland. The policy is spelled out in the student handbook, so I don't blame the school....however I also want to remove any barriers to success that I can afford to.

IMO, if you're wanting to stay under $500 take a look at some of the older used cameras like the Nikons D100/200 or Canon 30D/40D. These are STILL fantastic cameras. Invest in good lenses, as camera bodies loose value everytime a new model is released. Great glass will retain the value better.

Yeah, this is pretty much standard in higher education form what I've seen. There are often other people who have reserved the equipment and when one person returns something late it affects others. Some schools also charge a fine.

It is always easier to have your own equipment. Personally I loath check out. You never know what some goober has done to the equipment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter