“What?! No! That’s Crazy!” Feb 16 - 21, 2014 (Complete)

Following along because 1) February is my birthday month and although I want to take a trip then my DW will never have time off to take it.

2) Michiganders escaping winter ftw!

3) This is off to an amusing start ;)

4) I love POFQ.

So overall, this is a TR to sub to :P

Following along because 1) February is my birthday month and although I want to take a trip then my DW will never have time off to take it.

2) Michiganders escaping winter ftw!

3) This is off to an amusing start ;)

4) I love POFQ.

So overall, this is a TR to sub to :P

Ha! Let's see 1) I had never gone in Feb before, but definitely will again! My Birthday month is August, and I won't go - too hot! I'm not a fan of the melting.

2) Especially this winter. Good grief this winter. Run away! Escape, escape! And it seems like it is NEVER going to end! Gah.

3) Why thank you, I try. :joker:

4) Me too. Adore it, don't really want to stay anywhere else, ever!'

Hope you enjoy the rest of the TR! I'll have an update soon - I know you all want to know how Walt could possibly be a creeper.

so I was strolling around the DISboards and happened to see your thread ...

olaf-frozen-disney.gif

Definitely joining!

Glad they found the plane ... that would have been a bit, um, awkward if they hadn't.

Also glad everything worked out with your knee!

so I was strolling around the DISboards and happened to see your thread ...

olaf-frozen-disney.gif

Definitely joining!

Glad they found the plane ... that would have been a bit, um, awkward if they hadn't.

Also glad everything worked out with your knee!

Well hello and welcome! And yay Olaf!

Awkward indeed - it was awkward enough with the misplaced plane. I mean - how? :confused3

And my knee - you and me both! It was quite scary there for a while, and I'm eternally grateful that it ended up being something easily (well, PT is never easy, but compared to surgery) fixed! It did bug me a bit at AK; that place is so hard to walk around, but other than that and the occasional twinge on an incline I was good to go! :cool1:

Unlurking to say I'll definitely follow your TR :)
I'm hoping to take a mother-daughter trip do WDW, she'd never go on ToT tough, your mom's awesome!

Day 1, Part 2: Walt is a Creeper!

When last we left our heroines, they had hopped on a bus to Hollywood Studios!

This day was glorious, not a cloud in sight. And - hot. Hotter than I would have liked, to be honest. Now, I go to Florida in the winter for two reasons. To escape the frigid cold, and to not roast to death. I purposely avoid the summer because I'm apparently a lizard. I react to the temperature around me, and have a VERY hard time warming up or cooling down once I've reached either extreme. It wasn't too bad on this day, but later in the week we hit 86... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

So, Hollywood Studios!

I had a FP+ for Star Tours from 2:00 - 3:00 that we missed because of our misplaced plane being late. We got to HS at about 2:45, and neither of us wanted to have to RUN to the other side of the park. No biggie - I still had one ready to go for Toy Story from 3:00 - 4:00! But that left us with some time to kill, so we wandered over to One Man's Dream. I have been meaning to go in there every visit, and for some reason always missed it. I was determined not to miss it this time!

Right as we entered, my mom made a suggestion that would carry through for the rest of the trip - let's take a selfie with the picture of Walt Disney!

Here's the picture in question:

By itself, it's a lovely and somewhat poignant photo.

However, the angle needed to take a selfie, with Walt, when I'm 5'8" and my mom is 5' forcing me to crouch and try to use the camera at the same time without cutting off anyone's head resulted in the moment in which Walt.... became a creeper:

When we saw this pic, we could NOT stop laughing. I mean - come on. It totally looks like he is just looming about behind us!!!

I posted it to Facebook, and the resulting hilarity was quite amusing.

So, leaving our unintentionally creepy mural behind us, Mom and I proceeded to thoroughly explore, and enjoy One Man's Dream!

Love that pic - I remember Abe from the Hall of the President's at Disneyland. I spent HOURS there.

This next one makes my heart happy. Sleeping Beauty's castle is the one I grew up with, so when we saw the model, we had to have a pic!

We also watched the video, which I highly recommend!

At this point our FP+ for Toy Story was just about ready, so we mosied on over that way. Now, I may have mentioned that I was nursing a bum knee and my mom was nursing a bum hip. So, when we got to the end of the FP+ line, I saw that we had the option to take the ramp. Now, I had been doing stairs at Physical Therapy, so I thought I'd be okay, but Mom has problems with stairs anyway, hurt hip notwithstanding, so I tried to get her to take the handicap entrance. She refused, and in hindsight I probably should have insisted. We did use it later in the trip, and it was much better.

3D glasses selfie!

Only for you people would I post a pic with that much chin. Love this ride! Just like last year, Mom's accuracy was better, but my tendency to just mindlessly spam targets worked in my favor:

Since we had gotten our competitive itch out of the way, we proceeded on over to Tower of Terror for our 4:00 - 5:00 PF+! We had some time to kill, so we did a little shopping and people watching, and then decided to catch the next Beauty and the Beast show. We were pretty close to show time, so the available seats were not the greatest, and I ended up sitting directly in the sun.

And proceeded to melt. I tried to put on a happy face...

giphy.gif

... but Mom noticed that I was overheating and suggested we move farther back where there appeared to be some shade.

Ah - much better. I wish Elsa could make a cloud to follow me around - but only when needed. I do love the sun!

So, back to Beauty and the Beast. We both thoroughly enjoyed the show, with one interesting observation.

The Beast... his roar. OMG you guys. Every time he walked out and roared, it was more like Rawr! or Rooooooaaar! or - I dunno. It was ridiculous. Hilariously over the top. I could not stop laughing, and may have proceeded to yell "Rawr!" for the rest of the night. Or the whole trip. Whatever. Don't judge me and my roar.

Once we got our roar on, it was time for Mom's favorite - Tower of Terror! She cracks me up. She laughs, and laughs, and laughs... and I scream my head off.

I wasn't able to get a redneck ride photo, and didn't spring for the pic, but basically she looks like:

291f2054d3de401d44f73cefdb81f856.jpg

And I'm more:

giphy.gif

I do enjoy ToT, I just can't help but scream!

At this point we were both ready for some dinner, so we stopped at Fairfax Fare and split a half chicken before heading to our main objective for the night - Fantasmic!

Fantasmic will always hold a special place in my heart. I was there when the show opened in California, and can sing the entire thing from memory. The one at the World is different, and I think I prefer the original, but I still really enjoy it!

Now, on our way in they had the line split in two; one side for FP+ and one for standby. But as we got closer to our seats I smelled something heavenly. Roasted Pecans. OMG people. I love these. I could eat them until the end of time. And they were near the bathrooms, which I also needed to visit, so we diverted over that way for a pit stop and to procure some epic yumminess!

When we left the restrooms and went to find seats, we got herded into the FP+ section. Now, it wasn't intentional, but they weren't scanning magic bands so... okay then! We got some great seats!

We got into a very interesting conversation with the family in front of us. I speak an oh so tiny amount of Spanish, and they asked us a question (I honestly can't remember what) and I was able to answer. And then the daughter joined them and we found out that she speaks 5 languages! I don't even really remember all of what we were chatting about, but she was talking about their trip so far, and asking about the other parks, and just generally made the wait a lot of fun!

It had cooled off quite nicely, and we were now glad of our sweatshirts! I was wearing the fleece Mom got me last year when it was 45 degrees at Epcot! Now that... was too cold. I'm such a goldilocks with the temperature!

I handed out about 30 glow bracelets while waiting for the show. I love handing them out.The amount of joy from a bracelet that cost me less than 10 cents just makes my millennium!

And then it was time for the show! So fun. So very fun. :goodvibes

After the show we briefly debated trying ToT again, but everyone else also had the same idea, so we just wandered back out to the bus stop and went back to POFQ.

I did have one more surprise up my sleeve though. Unbeknownst to my mother, I had ordered a case of Caffeine Free Diet Coke and one of Dasani water from Staples. She lives on Diet Coke, but it has to be caffeine free, which is almost impossible to find at Disney. And she loves Dasani water. So we get back to the room and I call bell services and ask them to deliver the packages in my name, and Mom is looking at me like I've grown another head.

And then the CM showed up with the Diet Coke, and you'd think I'd just given her diamonds. It totally made my day, and I was so glad I'd ordered it! (The total was something like $27 for 24 bottles of water and 24 cans of diet coke).

Up Next: Day 2, Part 1: Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Walt is such a creeper! I mean, I didn't notice it before but when it's cut like that it is so creepy.

Also, that is such impressive accuracy from your mom. I tend to have low score and low accuracy lol. It makes it worse.

And we're going to order some water from Staples in May, so I'm glad that others are doing it. Much cheaper than Disney water each time.

Aww you should have used the FP. I understand there's a 15 minute grace period after the end time. Never tried it though.

BUT, it worked out better because... ONE MAN'S DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!! :lovestruc

Yeah I can't lie. For me Walt will always be the gentle older man hosting the World of Colour and all that good stuff. All his younger photos ARE creepy.

Bahahaha, I think I've seen that Beast.

Walt is such a creeper! I mean, I didn't notice it before but when it's cut like that it is so creepy.

Also, that is such impressive accuracy from your mom. I tend to have low score and low accuracy lol. It makes it worse.

And we're going to order some water from Staples in May, so I'm glad that others are doing it. Much cheaper than Disney water each time.

She reeeally lines up her shots. And meanwhile I'm pulling that little rope like my life depended on it, LOL!

Staples worked out really well. My only bummer was that I had to get cans of coke; bottles would have been more convenient. Mom just poured a can into an empty water bottle, put it in her purse and was good to go though. :)

I'm here and following along! I love Mother/Daughter trips :)

So happy to have you! I love traveling with her - we have the best time, and it's so EASY!

Aww you should have used the FP. I understand there's a 15 minute grace period after the end time. Never tried it though.

BUT, it worked out better because... ONE MAN'S DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!! :lovestruc

Yeah I can't lie. For me Walt will always be the gentle older man hosting the World of Colour and all that good stuff. All his younger photos ARE creepy.

Bahahaha, I think I've seen that Beast.

Honestly, and this is a bit of foreshadowing, but I felt like Star Tours would have made me nauseous on this day. It's happened in the past, and I didn't want to start the trip out that way!

And One Man's Dream - I'm so glad we went in there. I definitely prefer the older, less creepy Walt! Although one of my friends thinks he looks like Ryan Gosling, so there's that!

Oh - and, RAWR!!! RAWR!

Walt does look like a bit of a creeper there ... and the fact that he has a de-skinned Abraham Lincoln in a glass case isn't helping the creepiness factor :rotfl:

Ok, not sure how you meant the "rawr" to sound, but I read it as being very effeminate sounding. Like "Ra-awr ... with 2-snaps in a circle!" ... and thus the Beast is apparently played by Damon Waynes

glad you liked One Man's Dream though ... I saw it for the first time our last trip and loved it

and yeah for accidental good seats at Fantasmic!

I love One Man's Dream, we do it every trip. :lovestruc
Oh Em Gee that selfie is the best photobomb selfie I have ever seen!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao: I hope that's like your Facebook profile pic or something!!

I tend to get better accuracy and DH gets the high numbers on TSM. I just can't get a high score on that! Or Buzz for that matter... :rotfl:

I do enjoy ToT, I just can't help but scream!

I, on the other hand, do NOT enjoy ToT and therefore I can't help but scream! :rotfl:

I think it's so cute that you handed out glow bracelets, what a nice idea.

Cute surprise for your mom too at the end of the day. :goodvibes

Your unfortunate selfie with Walt was funny! The expression on his face IS pretty odd.

The glow bracelets were such a neat idea.

First of all, I'm sorry I disappeared! Life and work have been BANANAS, and not in the dancing way! I promise to be back with an update soon!

Ok, not sure how you meant the "rawr" to sound, but I read it as being very effeminate sounding. Like "Ra-awr ... with 2-snaps in a circle!" ... and thus the Beast is apparently played by Damon Waynes
!

The Rawr - was quite effeminate. And cheesy. And over the top. And hilarious. :rotfl:

Subbing........:coffee:

So glad to have you! I'll try to post more frequently, as work and life seem a wee bit calmer!

Oh Em Gee that selfie is the best photobomb selfie I have ever seen!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao: I hope that's like your Facebook profile pic or something!!

I, on the other hand, do NOT enjoy ToT and therefore I can't help but scream! :rotfl:

I think it's so cute that you handed out glow bracelets, what a nice idea.

Cute surprise for your mom too at the end of the day. :goodvibes

That pic was so unexpectedly odd and wonderful and I adore it. I did have it as my profile on FB for a while, actually! My older sister about died when she saw it!

Hey, at least you still ride ToT!

I love handing out bracelets. The title of this TR has to do with the reaction I got later in the trip when I handed out something else. :goodvibes I love the look on a kid's face when I give them a glow bracelet. There's something about GLOW that just screams MAGIC! to me!

Your unfortunate selfie with Walt was funny! The expression on his face IS pretty odd.

The glow bracelets were such a neat idea.

It's a perfectly sweet photo... until you stand in front of it, LOL!

Great updates!! Glad ya'll got to Disney safe & sound once the plane was found haha!!

LOVE POFQ, and wow you guys were super close!! I think we were few doors down and a level up in Sept!

Yay for hollywood!!

joining in on the fun :)

Thanks for joining in!

Great updates!! Glad ya'll got to Disney safe & sound once the plane was found haha!!

LOVE POFQ, and wow you guys were super close!! I think we were few doors down and a level up in Sept!

Yay for hollywood!!

I still can't believe how absurd the whole thing was, LOL!! How do you misplace an AIRPLANE?!

I could not believe how close we were. It was amazing.!

So... I may have just booked myself a Solo Trip for October... :hyper:

I've wanted to go solo for a while, have never been in the Fall, and desperately want to go to the Halloween Party. DH has been very encouraging, "Go! Have fun! See if you like it solo. If you don't, you never have to do it again, but at least this way you won't wonder." And since they just offered FD in October... I booked PoP from 10/26 - 10/31. Hopefully I'll find a flight that will get me home in time for trick or treating! I'm still kind of hopeful that a room only discount will come out for a little earlier in the month, but hey - FD works too! ::yes::

I'm nervous about going solo, but intrigued about being on my own schedule. No having to wait for DH to wake up, no need to slow down for mom (not that I mind, but it is a factor)... this could be fun!

Joining in ... I'm not a big fan of pecans (I know, what's wrong with me, right?!) so I brought along some popcorn:: and a :mickeybar instead!

YES! Finally! I'm not the only one who was disturbed by that photo of Walt. It is on the cover of his biography I bought back in high school and I remember thinking how mysterious and kinda scary it portrayed him.

Love the idea of handing out glowsticks - I usually have leftovers that I'm trying to pawn off on people at the end of my trips, but I love sharing as it happens. You gave me a great idea!!!

OMG!!! :rotfl2: *love* the In the Living Color reference!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter