“Renting” depends on what side of the transaction you are on.

jdg345 said:
Agreed ... to me, the issues seems to be prevention of someone transferring OKW points into a BCV contract to get 11 month booking @ BCV on their OKW points. A simple rule stating that transferred points can only be used at a 7 month window with an exception if it's same resort to same resort (BCV to BCV) would have solved this much easier and still allowed the one-sy / two-sy transfers. :confused3
More likely just NO more transfers.

DBBN said:
Back to the OP - I believe in the OP's example the 1 transfer limit creates an UNINTENDED consequence. DVC may have been better off requiring any transfers to be from the "Same Resort" and the "Same Use Year" rather than limiting the number of transfers during a year. Why would it matter how many transfers or points the OP receives if for example he receives June 2006 BCV points deposited into his June 2006 BCV account?
I agree. Even just limiting to the same resort and same UY, i.e., 2006 to 2006, not necessarily the same Use Year Month, would eliminate the point morphing but still allow members to transfer points as needed to cover shortfalls or for those occasional big family gatherings.

LisaS said:
I agree. Even just limiting to the same resort and same UY, i.e., 2006 to 2006, not necessarily the same Use Year Month, would eliminate the point morphing but still allow members to transfer points as needed to cover shortfalls or for those occasional big family gatherings.
Not really. You'd have to find someone who had the same resort and use year, had the points, and were willing to transfer them at an agreed upon price. Not worth fooling with on either end.

I still think it will mean folks will get better at learning to manage their own points.

I have never transferred points (in or out) , rented points out, or rented from other members. I hope I never have to, but I guess I should leave my options open.
The thing that scares the hell out of me is DVC MS with their infinite wisdom (I use the term loosely), does not have a system in place to keep track of where transferred points come from, and they let them automatically become points in the Resort they are transferred into. This to me seems it should be fundamental to protecting other members from abuse.
I'm sure they could find a way to tag these points so they can't even be accidently used in a reservation in the 11-7 month window (unless their from the same resort of course). If they don't correct this flaw it will become increasingly difficult to get a reservation even at the 11 month window.
How could they be so stupid.Please tell me it ain't so.

Joe,
Your original premise is correct, that no one would want to rent you the small amount of points, because that's the only transfer they could do from their account in a year. Since I am the person who rented those pts to you, I know that it would scare me away from renting you those pts to finish a ressie. And this new/old rule would probably affect all of us, because if I want an extra night in a GV, who will rent 50 pts to me? They couldn't even rent the villa for me, because part of the change says that they could have their ressies cancelled if MS thinks they have too many ressies--would I want to chance renting one night from someone? I don't think so! I do think the rule is punitive to the membership as a whole, when DVC is actually targeting the 2% who have 20 rentals or more, and rent them thru Ebay. :furious:

There is a system to tag the points when ever the points get transfered they have a notation or modifier next to them, but there is no software lock in the system to stop MS reps from morphing the points. It is up to the MS rep to see the modifier and tell the DVC owner that they have to wait to use the transfered points to book. From what i have seen on other forums and other threads here morphing is stopped sometimes, how frequently not sure, but I do agree that the system needs some kind of software lock on it so its not up to MS reps to catch it.

If they don't find a way to fix this or at least enforce it, this is what is going to happen or is already happening.

Buy as many points as you want in the cheapest or readily available resort, do a, 25 or 50 point add-on in the resort you really want, Presto,with a simple transfer you have all your points at your favorite resort.

Don't you think that could have a major affect on availability at whatever resort it happens to be.

I wish I knew that was the way it worked when I bought, and I'll bet others do too.

skelooch said:
If they don't find a way to fix this or at least enforce it, this is what is going to happen or is already happening.

Buy as many points as you want in the cheapest or readily available resort, do a, 25 or 50 point add-on in the resort you really want, Presto,with a simple transfer you have all your points at your favorite resort.

Don't you think that could have a major affect on availability at whatever resort it happens to be.

I wish I knew that was the way it worked when I bought, and I'll bet others do too.

I think that's exactly how it works and I think that's exactly the problem they are trying to fix. All they would need to do is note that transferred points (unless from same resort) can't be used outside of the 7 month window. Problem solved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter