Zumba

I tried to follow along with a few you tube videos and there was no way I could keep up. I couldn't do the steps or figure them out and I pretty much looked liked a windmill in a tornado and wanted to cry out of sheer frustration. I ended up just dancing along with the first step they started with and doing it the whole time and finally felt like I was having fun, but I'm glad I was alone in the privacy of my own home as I felt pretty klutzy and sure I looked it too. However, the music and rhythm have me hooked and I want more. I love latin music anyway so I am happy to hear it going mainstream. I can't wait to get the steps down so I can go out in public and join a real class. And surprize my husband with my new moves (and new body) as the salsa dance is very sexy. ;)

I tried to follow along with a few you tube videos and there was no way I could keep up. I couldn't do the steps or figure them out and I pretty much looked liked a windmill in a tornado and wanted to cry out of sheer frustration. I ended up just dancing along with the first step they started with and doing it the whole time and finally felt like I was having fun, but I'm glad I was alone in the privacy of my own home as I felt pretty klutzy and sure I looked it too. However, the music and rhythm have me hooked and I want more. I love latin music anyway so I am happy to hear it going mainstream. I can't wait to get the steps down so I can go out in public and join a real class. And surprize my husband with my new moves (and new body) as the salsa dance is very sexy. ;)

Also know that what they do in the youtube videos aren't always what is done in class - I've seen some pretty neat choreography on youtube but its not at all what we do for that particular song. Its all up to the instructor, their mood and their style. Some instructors make up their own choreography so its totally different than what you could see online.

I really noticed it a lot when I was looking up the Wiggle Wiggle song that we have been doing lately - the videos show a little wiggling - our instructor has us totally wiggling and jiggling into a frenzy lol!!

Its also about the people taking the class too - I know the Zumba's during the daytime at the YMCA are mostly elderly women taking it so the instructors don't make it as intense as the evening classes which consist of young to middle age people. And my instructor even modifies it to the mood of the class - this past Weds. it was so humid here that we were all dragging so he took the intesity of the class down a little and it helped.

Cin: Definitely go to a class, if you can! In my class, there are tons of uncoordinated women. ;)They keep coming until they get the moves down, then, start moving up to the front of the class. We have all different levels and we all have fun. No one will be looking at you except the instructor. And, she's only doing it to see where she can help you. Yes, the youtube videos can be intimidating to a beginner, but don't worry. My instructor creates her own choreography which is actually a lot harder than some of those videos, but, if it's a new routine, she'll explain the moves quickly, before we start. Most zumba incorporates your basic latin dance steps: salsa, merengue, samba, bachatta, cumbia (my personal favorite) mixed with some fun hip hop moves. My class is mostly women in their 30s and 40s with some older and younger thrown in here and there. We don't allow men which frees us up to shake it as hard as we can without fear.:thumbsup2 I think you could have a great time and it really helps work the core, as well as burning tons of calories.

I have been wanting to join the Zumba class really bad, my concern is that I won't be able to keep up with everyone. I also have a major knee issue right now but I really want to go and try it out.

I thought maybe I should get it for my Wii first, then if I like it go to the classes. Just not sure.

don't worry about it!! Everyone in my class looks different doing it. :) Very few do it perfect.... and there are teenagers, middle age, and older ladies. :) Some moves I look awesome on, others I have to try to keep from laughing, because I KNOW I look ridiculous, since I haven't figured out what in the heck my instructors feet are doing.

I started going with my sister, and we basically told each other that we knew going in we were probably going to look extremely silly for a while- and no one, I mean, NO ONE cares. They're either having too much fun, or trying to follow along.

And, everyone most likely started off just like you, brand new at it. :)

For the record- I HATE doing YT videos. I can't figure them out!

My instructor also shows "low impact" versions of moves if she sees people having trouble, as well.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I don't feel as self conscious now knowing I'm not the only one struggling with the steps.

I love Zumba. Never been to a class, but I do have the dvds. Works up a sweat. I also have it for the kinect. It's ok, but my mother loves it.

I bought the Zumba DVD's. It is a lot of fun! I haven't found a lot of time to do it, but now that school is out (I'm a teacher) I hope to do it at least 2-3x a week!

Thanks for all the encouragement. I don't feel as self conscious now knowing I'm not the only one struggling with the steps.

I'm curious-- did you try a class yet?

I've tried umpteen different workout programs to lose weight - have been overweight pretty much all my life. Zumba is the only one that I've suck with so joyfully, and gives me more energy at the end than I had when I left to go to class. I try to go every other day.

I just want an all Disney music Zumba class... that would be awesome! I'd love to see a Zumba routine set to "I Wanna Be Like You" from Jungle Book. :dancer:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!