Zumba & shin splints. Please help!

TinkerBrie

DIS Veteran
Hello! I have shin spints. They are so painful and I am not sure what to do. I do Zumba 2 or 3 times a week for the last 2 years. I have rested my leg for a few days when it hurts the most, but I'm not willing to give up my zumba. I have changed my sneakers and I do some stretching exercises. Can I "wrap" my leg or something to get me through my work out??? Mineral ice?? Please give me some advice. I finally found exercise that I LOVE. I don't want to give it up.

Oh no! Shin splints are awful. Are they new or do you get them when you do your zumba?

you're not going to like my answer...but ice, ice, ice, take some time off, and see a physical therapist familiar with sports injuries so you can seek treatment and go from there. "pushing through" injuries always leads to bad news

I have struggled with shin splints on and off for the last 9 months. I want to run a marathon in the future. I got Nike Plus and I really love watching my miles add up. However I tend to over do it to get my numbers up. I asked around on the boards for advice about my shin splints. I got lots of ideas and seems to have done some help. I went to Scheel's and got velcro wraps for each shin. They cost me apx $15 each. I use them everytime I run/jog. I also try to run every other day. Once in awhile I sneak in a 1 mile on my off days. I went to the chiropractor. She did some adjustments to my hips and legs. I also got inserts for my shoes. I also bought an ice pack at walmart and it wraps onto my shin. I usually ice it apx 10 minutes each shin after a run/jog. Since February 1st things have gotten much better. I've followed these steps and my shins feel great. I'm currently trying to figure out my left insert. My left shin bothers me a little once in awhile but it feels like I might not have the right insert in my shoe. I had shin splints so bad I couldn't walk up our split level stairs after a run. I would be in tears. I would rest for a week and then start up. Within days I'd be needed a week of rest. I noticed the biggest difference in my wraps. I'm not sure if any of this would help you but it worked for me. The one thing people keep telling me is make sure I have the right shoes. Good luck! It's hard to stop-rest after you find something you enjoy. I understand the feeling.

Thanks so much or the info! I have taken all of your advice. I bought inserts for my shoes, I took ibuprofen and have been icing (a lot). I can feel an improvement. They are still painful but not excruciating. I am having trouble finding braces in my area. Maybe I should try online.:confused3 I will continue the "treatment"!!! Thank you all again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter