Zumba Anyone

stampingoddess

Mouseketeer
I tried my first Zumba class last night and felt like an elephant trying ballet! I have no rythem or coordination. I'm sure it will get easier with subsequent classes. Just wondering what anyone else thought about Zumba.

I've been doing Zumba since last June. I take a weekly class that I just love. I do the Zumba Toning classes which are a little different than the regular Zumba. We use weights and I can really tell that my arms are in a lot better shape because of that. My instructor is doing an Aqua Zumba class starting in January and I'm thinking about trying that.

I don't do Zumba, but I wanted to applaud you for doing so!:cheer2:

I'm so utterly uncoordinated that I'd be afraid to hurt my classmates were I to try it. I'll stick to spinning (personal space: no chance of hurting anyone but myself) and continue to be in awe of everyone that can do Zumba!

I LOVE zumba! I've been going 1 or 2 times a week for over a year now. I am very coordinated and have taken salsa lessons before, so I come by it easily. I am thinking of getting certified to teach next month. So, with my experience I have to say:

I have watched many new women come and go throughout the year. Everyone, and I mean everyone, looks and feels uncoordinated at first. It's okay. But, if you stick with it, it will get easier, I promise. One of the secrets is that we tend to do the same songs over and over. So, everyone else looks like they're getting it easier than you, but they've done it many times before. I have done some of the exact same routines for the whole year. If you just go into it with the attitude of having fun and moving, you will be successful. If you think you have to do everything perfectly, you'll probably quit. And, don't worry about how you look. Everyone else is so focused on how they look and feel, they don't have the energy to look at what you are doing! ;)

I agree with rubato :thumbsup2 Everyone feels uncoordinated and a little silly when they start, but after a couple of classes, you get into the routine and you get over your fear.

I love it! I've been taking one class every week for about 8 weeks now. Our instructor has just added a second class for the week and I'm super excited :banana:

It's such a nice change of pace from my C25K training and I love how you can do the class as high impact or low impact. I tend to prefer low impact since my running days are such high impact.

I don't do Zumba, but I wanted to applaud you for doing so!:cheer2:

I'm so utterly uncoordinated that I'd be afraid to hurt my classmates were I to try it. I'll stick to spinning (personal space: no chance of hurting anyone but myself) and continue to be in awe of everyone that can do Zumba!

UGH, I am also quite uncoordinated. For a good laugh, read about my first class here..http://wp.me/p19E7d-17 :laughing:

I LOVE zumba! I've been going 1 or 2 times a week for over a year now. I am very coordinated and have taken salsa lessons before, so I come by it easily. I am thinking of getting certified to teach next month. So, with my experience I have to say:

I have watched many new women come and go throughout the year. Everyone, and I mean everyone, looks and feels uncoordinated at first. It's okay. But, if you stick with it, it will get easier, I promise. One of the secrets is that we tend to do the same songs over and over. So, everyone else looks like they're getting it easier than you, but they've done it many times before. I have done some of the exact same routines for the whole year. If you just go into it with the attitude of having fun and moving, you will be successful. If you think you have to do everything perfectly, you'll probably quit. And, don't worry about how you look. Everyone else is so focused on how they look and feel, they don't have the energy to look at what you are doing! ;)

You sound just like my sister-in-law, who was also the teacher. I've decided to keep going, at least through the end of the year so that I give it an honest try.

Well, have you been back to zumba? How are you doing with it?

Unfortunately I have NOT been back. With the short work week last week and catching up this week, I was at work until well past 6pm last Monday and yesterday and thus was unable to get home in time to change and get to class. Fingers crossed that I can go next Monday.

I love zumba! It's a wonderful workout and so much fun. It does get easier the more you do it. I love my class so much that I purchased the DVD set for at home.

Zumba is the BEST workout! I love it!!! I have been going once a week for the past few months, but luckily I belong to a gym with several downtown locations and I have found 4 classes a week that I can go to. I am obsessed! Everyone feels silly, but as long as you're moving and having fun it's all that matters. I have quite a bit of weight to lose, but this is the first time I am just going slow with it - not expecting instant results and just having fun with my workouts!!

I just bought Zumba for the Wii and did it this morning for the first time. I know what you mean when you say it makes you feel uncoordinated. But the lady on the Wii kept telling me I was doing a good job, so I'm coming back for more tomorrow :lmao:

mumom I'm so glad you wrote about trying it on the Wii - I was thinking about getting it for our Wii. Is it really hard? Would my 11 year old DD like doing it too or is it in no way for kids? She likes to dance.

Thanks!

Questions

Has anyone bought the dvds and if so do you find it helpful before taking a class?

Also if you bought it for the wii was it your first time trying it? I read the reviews for the wii and they say the negative is there is no step by step lesson just basically a model doing the moves that you are suppose to catch on to. I have been debating to buy the wii version or the dvd.

I love latin music and listen to it frequently so it looks like so much fun. Can not believe I am just now noticing it.

Doing it this morning on the Wii is the first time I've ever done Zumba.

There are tutorials to follow but they aren't the best. It was tough and I had a hard time keeping up with the beginning session, but I figured it would be that way if I took a class.

I'm not sure the Wii is really monitoring my movements real well, but that doesn't bother me too much. There are some things about it that I think I like better than I would just videos. It measures your energy level and you have to work your way up to different levels. The competitive part of me likes this, makes me want to work a little harder to get to the next level. There are some other competitions in it that I haven't done yet, so I don't know much about them.

I figure even if I'm not getting the movements exactly correct, I'm still up and moving and getting exercise. Once I get better at it I may switch and try taking a class. But for now, while I still feel like a clutz, I like being able to go down to my basement and do it.

I debated getting it for Kinex or for Wii (we have both). The reviews for the Kinex have been horrible for it, where the reviews for Wii weren't nearly as bad. That's why I went with the Wii.

Questions

Has anyone bought the dvds and if so do you find it helpful before taking a class?

Also if you bought it for the wii was it your first time trying it? I read the reviews for the wii and they say the negative is there is no step by step lesson just basically a model doing the moves that you are suppose to catch on to. I have been debating to buy the wii version or the dvd.

I love latin music and listen to it frequently so it looks like so much fun. Can not believe I am just now noticing it.

I belong to a dance/exercise class. The instructor brought the DVD in for us to try and we all really like it. I bought the set for home because we don't do it in class every week and I really like it for a work out. Some instructors use the same moves and dance steps, but develop their own workout. If anything the DVDs will teach you the basics and combinations before you start the class. Plus it is really easy to put in and dance for 15-20 minutes. I haven't tried the WII version yet.

I loved going to Zumba class, but this school year dd has ballet both nights it's offered.
I bought the DVDs and tried to do one today. Is anyone else having difficulty Zumba-ing on their carpet? It just didn't flow like the class.
I am bummed because they were pricey!

Questions

I haven't played on the wii yet, but I have done the dvd's and I think that it helped thet I went to a class BEFORE I did the dvd. It helps (me at least) to have someone there in front of me to watch and see how they are moving. My instructor faces the mirror and then turns and faces the class so we can see her form both sides - so it's helpful to learn the moves.

I felt so silly my 1st class because everyone knew what they were doing already and I looked clumsy, but that's just because most of the routines stay the same.

I'm also for classes over dvd's and games because there's just a totally different energy if you're in a classroom with loud music and people cheering and getting into it. It's infectious and keeps me going :thumbsup2

Hope this helps!

I loved going to Zumba class, but this school year dd has ballet both nights it's offered.
I bought the DVDs and tried to do one today. Is anyone else having difficulty Zumba-ing on their carpet? It just didn't flow like the class.
I am bummed because they were pricey!

Yes, it is hard on carpet. I wear my jazz boots (Academy) and that helps a lot. Just a couple of slide steps that are still hard while wearing them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter