Zootopia to Rafiki's planet watch Monsters to DHS

To be fair, Monsters Inc was released in 2001. So the "under 10s" who watched it when it came out are able to buy alcohol now. It's gotta be hitting nostalgia status for some of them. They might feel the same way about those pixar movies and my generation feels about The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin.

Plus on average most kids are 48" in height between six and nine years old. My son who is in the 5th percentile on height was 48" in height around nine years old. So, that's kind of a stretch to say "under 10s" wouldn't be able to ride it. Not that all want to do a roller coaster at that age, but if the theming was right they might be more apt to try it.

I agree. Let's remember the craze of MU hats a few years ago to HS/college students. The "Pixar generation", much like Toy Story's Andy, is now college-age (or older). @brooke789 beat me to this.

I can say my DS rode RnRC a dozen times back-to-back at age 6 (I'm not making that up, DHS had just recovered from an afternoon power outage and there was almost no one in the park). He sure didn't have any clue who Aerosmith was, he'll ride it regardless of theme (as would everyone else).

But to contradict myself, I'm skeptical of the "Door Coaster" rumor because I neither see Disney actually doing a 48"+ Pixar ride, nor do I see them dumbing down what what is arguably their most thrilling coaster, since they have so few.

Last edited:
I think Jim Hill likes to make up poop. Overlaying Rock n Roller Coaster doesn't make any sense. What 5 year old is going to want or be able to ride on that rocket ship? They are scared by the Mine Train and Barnstormer.

...in other news: sun likely to rise in the east tomorrow...per "reputable sources"

I agree. Let's remember the craze of MU hats a few years ago to HS/college students. The "Pixar generation", much like Toy Story's Andy, is now college-age (or older). @brooke789 beat me to this.

I can say my DS rode RnRC a dozen times back-to-back at age 6 (I'm not making that up, DHS had just recovered from an afternoon power outage and there was almost no one in the park). He sure didn't have any clue who Aerosmith was, he'll ride it regardless of theme.

But to contradict myself, I'm skeptical of the "Door Coaster" rumor because I neither see Disney actually doing a 48"+ Pixar ride, nor do I see them dumbing down what what is arguably their most coaster, since they have so few.

Yeah my kid is the same way. I don't believe it's actually going to happen but it would be a good use of space. Honestly the coaster isn't that great to begin with, it's the launch that makes it exciting.

Yeah my kid is the same way. I don't believe it's actually going to happen but it would be a good use of space. Honestly the coaster isn't that great to begin with, it's the launch that makes it exciting.

Disney does not try and compete in "coaster wars." Their coasters, for the most part, have a hook. Whether it is the indoor and dark component of Space Mountain, the launch of RnR, or the backward rush of EE. It's not about being the biggest, tallest, fastest, scariest, it's about doing something different with the concept (different at time of creation of course). Now you can point to BTMMR and say what is innovative about that? I don't know. that may be an outlier. And you can then point to the baby coasters like SDMT and I'd say the swinging barrels which really don't swing very much. But the point isn't to build big, fast, scary coasters. It's about building family coasters with themes and unique ideas.

I love RnR. Might be my favorite coaster simply because of the launch. I don't like heights and crossing the open area on EE on the launch hill does not make me happy. But I like the way Disney does coasters. If I really want to have to change my underwear, I can go to Universal or Busch Gardens or SeaWorld or even the Atlanta Six Flags. Disney doesn't compete in that sector and I really don't want them to. I'd rather the engineering dollars go into being clever and theming the ride, though I do think 7DMT, and especially Barnstormer, could have used a little more thought and attention.

Disney does not try and compete in "coaster wars." Their coasters, for the most part, have a hook. Whether it is the indoor and dark component of Space Mountain, the launch of RnR, or the backward rush of EE. It's not about being the biggest, tallest, fastest, scariest, it's about doing something different with the concept (different at time of creation of course). Now you can point to BTMMR and say what is innovative about that? I don't know. that may be an outlier. And you can then point to the baby coasters like SDMT and I'd say the swinging barrels which really don't swing very much. But the point isn't to build big, fast, scary coasters. It's about building family coasters with themes and unique ideas.

I love RnR. Might be my favorite coaster simply because of the launch. I don't like heights and crossing the open area on EE on the launch hill does not make me happy. But I like the way Disney does coasters. If I really want to have to change my underwear, I can go to Universal or Busch Gardens or SeaWorld or even the Atlanta Six Flags. Disney doesn't compete in that sector and I really don't want them to. I'd rather the engineering dollars go into being clever and theming the ride, though I do think 7DMT, and especially Barnstormer, could have used a little more thought and attention.

I really don't mind that. I prefer Everest because it has more incorporated into it. The height and openness adds a lot to it for me, I can see others being less ok with it due to everything going on. I just feel like RnRC is a good time but it's really short. The theming is ok but not great. I feel like, for me, it could be a really great ride if there was something more to it. Even a Guardians version would be more fun. Give me something interesting to look at for re-ride value.

To be fair, Monsters Inc was released in 2001. So the "under 10s" who watched it when it came out are able to buy alcohol now. It's gotta be hitting nostalgia status for some of them. They might feel the same way about those pixar movies and my generation feels about The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin.

Plus on average most kids are 48" in height between six and nine years old. My son who is in the 5th percentile on height was 48" in height around nine years old. So, that's kind of a stretch to say "under 10s" wouldn't be able to ride it. Not that all want to do a roller coaster at that age, but if the theming was right they might be more apt to try it.

I can understand the Nostalgia thing, but what about todays kids who didn't watch it right when it came out. Little Timmy and Tammy, who were born in the past 5-6 years. They've got to just stand and watch other people go in an attraction based on their favorite movie.

No I don't think so, Disney would never make a scary rollercoaster ride based on a kids movie. They are more likely to overlay it with a more teen/adult oriented franchise. Something like Guardians of the Galaxy, which has a lot of adult humor.

Last edited:

gryffindors, I'm with you - I don't believe any of this, but I would LOVE IT if they built "Monstropolis" somewhere. I would seriously want to live there.

As a Monsters Inc (not University) fan at the ripe old age of 42 I'd love to see a large Monsters presence in the Studios - or whatever the heck it'll end up being named. In fact, I was hoping for a Monsters Land over a Toy Story Land - which I know puts me in the minority among Disney fans.

On that note I do not want to see One Mans Dream disappear. I realize it's inevitable at this point regardless of what will be taking its place but OMD should have a place of prominence somewhere within those 47sq miles. My feeling is that it belongs in Town Square Theatre. Just my .02.

I'd agree that Monster is an IP, that they haven't fully taken advantage of yet. Lot's of potential. Aside from the laugh floor, there isn't much too it in the parks. I don't think it fits thematically in the magic kingdom, but tomorrowland would be a great spot for it. I don't think it fits animal kingdom. Unsure it really fits in epcot, but it fits in future world better than AK or MK. Of course it fits great at DHS, but there is so much going on there. If it where to be the "phase 3" project, it would really turn that park into something special, however I feel like DHS has gotten it's round of improvements for a while.

I'd agree that Monster is an IP, that they haven't fully taken advantage of yet. Lot's of potential. Aside from the laugh floor, there isn't much too it in the parks. I don't think it fits thematically in the magic kingdom, but tomorrowland would be a great spot for it. I don't think it fits animal kingdom. Unsure it really fits in epcot, but it fits in future world better than AK or MK. Of course it fits great at DHS, but there is so much going on there. If it where to be the "phase 3" project, it would really turn that park into something special, however I feel like DHS has gotten it's round of improvements for a while.

Monsters, Inc has a dark ride at DCA. But it always seemed more of a placeholder to me, one of those where all you do is wind through the plot of the movie with zero artistic license.

I'd much rather a Guardians redo of RnRC than Monsters, it would make much more sense....plus that would hopefully leave Guardians out of Epcot.

I'd much rather a Guardians redo of RnRC than Monsters, it would make much more sense....plus that would hopefully leave Guardians out of Epcot.
Sounds like GotG in UoE is pretty much locked. But there is still an outside chance it may not happen.

I heard recently that the Zootopia section is going to be more then just a small Meet Greet. And that they want to create a whole land for it.

The train to Zootopia would be rethemed to the one from the movie. And to hide the unmagical backstage areas they will employ the same tech as the Hogwarts Express at Universal Orlando.

I heard recently that the Zootopia section is going to be more then just a small Meet Greet. And that they want to create a whole land for it.

The train to Zootopia would be rethemed to the one from the movie. And to hide the unmagical backstage areas they will employ the same tech as the Hogwarts Express at Universal Orlando.

Yeah, I saw that on YouTube too. I would love to get a Pawpsicle from there, that would be cool.

Last edited:
I figured out where I saw it, it was on Mickey Views. He maybe just spitballing ideas, but it sounds amazing. If anyone wants to see the Zootopia info, you can check it out in the video below.

If much rather see an Australian pavilion (please!!!!) to AK than zootopia. I think it fits the vision of the park way better than zootopia. Plus if they wanna placate themselves move the nemo show there and call it a day. There's so much potential given Australia is basically on its own and has such diverse species that nowhere else in the world has

If much rather see an Australian pavilion (please!!!!) to AK than zootopia. I think it fits the vision of the park way better than zootopia. Plus if they wanna placate themselves move the nemo show there and call it a day. There's so much potential given Australia is basically on its own and has such diverse species that nowhere else in the world has

That sounds pretty good, we know Florida has plenty of gators. Plus I love watching the Kangaroos beat the **** out of each other at AK. They should have a referee though, they sometimes go below the belt.

I always thought Egypt would be a cool addition too. They could have a large Pyramid as the icon for this section. Plus of course they've got animals, like Camels and Beetles that eat people eyes... oh wait that last one was in "the Mummy".

That sounds pretty good, we know Florida has plenty of gators. Plus I love watching the Kangaroos beat the **** out of each other at AK. They should have a referee though, they sometimes go below the belt.

I always thought Egypt would be a cool addition too. They could have a large Pyramid as the icon for this section. Plus of course they've got animals, like Camels and Beetles that eat people eyes... oh wait that last one was in "the Mummy".
I think Egypt would fit better in Epcot because Africa already exists in AK but to be frank Africa is such a broad continent it would work

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter